Obtention of Fractal Skins versus SAB Skins

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: fabipm.4359

fabipm.4359

Q:

Why is there such a difference between Fractal Skins and SAB Skins way of obtention ?

1) Fractal Skins

See the following posts:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Fractal-Skins/first
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Fractal-Reward-System-Seems-Broken/first#post1723731

Fractal Skins are :
-account bound (no money recovery or trade can be made)
-only obtainable through a RNG roll (no official figure regarding the chances, based on estimation, 0.3% to get the one skin you want).
-only obtainable at a minimum Fractal Level (20+).
-only obtainable in 1 chest after the completion of 3+1 Fractal level (45 minutes+) .

2) SAB Skins

See the following post:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/sab/Lets-figure-out-some-drop-rates

SAB Skins are :
-can be bought!! (50 “tokens” + 1 gold) But are account bound.
-can be dropped in several chests and can be sold/traded!!
-chances to get them have been officially communicated 1 out of 50.
-In 10 minutes, it is possible to farm 2 chests.

3) Conclusion

Why such differences ?
You can grind SAB skins but not Fractal ones (tokens).
You can trade SAB skins but not Fractal ones (drops are not account bound).
Official communication has been performed for SAB Skins but nothing for Fractal Skins.
-Accessibility of chests that can drop (8 chests in 40 minutes for SAB versus 1 chest un 45minutes+ for Fractals).

And finally, why no communication concerning Fractals, even if a lot of players are concerned and sick of this Fractal Skins RNG system since 3 months ?

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

To be fair, SAB weapons are only here for about a month……….

but

I would certainly prefer a token option for obtaining them.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

See how many people run around LA and Rata Sum with super skins? That’s a lot. See how many people run around LA and Rata Sum with Fractal skins? That’s not nearly as many. The rarity and obscenely crazy method of acquisition of Fractal skins adds to their prestige, which makes them more valuable to those who can get them.

I sure as hell would never use a Fractal skin if someone who had never done Fractals before could just buy it on the TP. There’s no prestige in that.

This isn’t to say that the prestige cannot be maintained while improving the system, but I sure as hell do not want to see Fractal skins on the TP ever.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Lanser.8520

Lanser.8520

This isn’t to say that the prestige cannot be maintained while improving the system, but I sure as hell do not want to see Fractal skins on the TP ever.

I agree with this.

But also, its less about how easy it is to get SAB skins, and more about having a system that works. The SAB system works, though is a bit easy. The Fractal system does not, and the difficulty of getting the skins is dependant on your luck and not your skill.

Just because one token system provides easy rewards does not mean that another one could not be developed that takes into account the difficulty level the player is facing. This includes everything from using daily tokens, or putting a little more thought into making a system that awards highly skilled players more than those who take it easy on lower levels.

Also, did we really need another thread on this. We have another active one sitting at the tops of the forums right now.

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

My spontaneous answer would be that Fractal weapons are supposed to be more rare.

Why aren’t exotic weapons as common as rare ones from world event chests? Well, they are supposed to be more rare.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Posted by: fabipm.4359

fabipm.4359

I totally agree with that, but the actual Fractal skins system based on your own luck seems not rewarding. And players have been complaining about that for months without any answer.
And then comes SAB with cool skins, a “good” rewarding system (luck OR grind via tokens) and a good communication…

It just feels like Fractals have been a one shot “dungeon” added and totally put behind everything else after.

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

As I have suggested in the “Fractal Skins Post”

Anet should set it up so a player must complete fractals up to the cap with the same chance to get a skin as now. Then add an achievement for reaching the cap which allows you to then purchase the skin you want with a certain amount of relics. This way Anet gets the full use out of the fractals from each person who really wants to push for the skins they want and grinding for extra relics after the fact is then a moot point since the player has already reached the achievement lvl. Just a thought.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

In my opinion, the only change that really needs to be made to Fractal skins is that instead of getting a Fractal skin from the daily chest, you get a “Fractal Skin Token” that can be exchanged at BUY-5726 for a Fractal weapon skin of your choice. I think that’d ameliorate 99% of the problems players have with it. It being an RNG drop is totally acceptable in my opinion.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

Skins should not be random drops in daily chests. It causes a negative reaction when players who score one on the first try vs those who grind for them. Even precursors can be purchased, so why hold these skins on a higher plateau? They have no value and only dress up your weapon? I think its because Anet wants players to put an effort into the fractals. They push you to go to the higher lvls for a better chance for a drop and make it so you can’t run the areas like you can in dungeons.

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

there is no reason to have everything common and dull to get, as long as it gives no stat bonuses.

Prestige skins are very sought not because they LOOK cool, but because its hard to get them, and give your character an “unique” look in the crowd. I understand running fracts over and over again and not getting anything might be frustrating, but if those skins were as common as SAB ones there would be no point in running fracts AT ALL.

The one thing that could be implemented, lessen the pain and not devalue the skins is a MF recipe (and not a cheap one, 50+ecto tier) to turn one fract skin into another…

To be fair i think the game needs MORE of that, very hard to get skins that only drop in specific places/mobs, and that can’t be traded. Right now legendaries are a little more than a checklist of grind to do, and can’t cover that role.

Lanser.8520

Prestige skins are very sought not because they LOOK cool, but because its hard to get them, and give your character an “unique” look in the crowd. I understand running fracts over and over again and not getting anything might be frustrating, but if those skins were as common as SAB ones there would be no point in running fracts AT ALL.

The one thing that could be implemented, lessen the pain and not devalue the skins is a MF recipe (and not a cheap one, 50+ecto tier) to turn one fract skin into another…

Honestly, I couldn’t care less if everyone had Twilight as long as I had Twilight. Why? Because I like the look and set my sights on it in beta. I also don’t care that everyone and their mother can get SAB skins. Why? Because they look cool. So I tend to not like that argument.

However, I understand that some people prefer rarity over looks, so the recipe I would like implemented would either require you to run high levels, or spend a large amount of time in lower levels. Don’t make it easy, but make it possible.

And do it in a way that helps those who have already spent a lot of time in fractals. Something like adding cores that can be created with shards, and then requiring them in a recipe encourages doing higher levels without completely ignoring the effort many have already put into fractals.

If there was a tangible goal you could reach, I think it would bring in more people than would leave.

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

I’m pretty sure fractal rewards and SAB rewards were designed by two different teams. I feel that whoever designed the fractal rewards has seriously strayed from the usual GW style of rewards: can be dropped, can be purchased, and can be made — not just only RNG. This is why I’m pretty impressed by the SAB team being so small and making content rather accessible.

Lanser.8520

I’m pretty sure fractal rewards and SAB rewards were designed by two different teams. I feel that whoever designed the fractal rewards has seriously strayed from the usual GW style of rewards: can be dropped, can be purchased, and can be made — not just only RNG. This is why I’m pretty impressed by the SAB team being so small and making content rather accessible.

I really like SAB. Reminds me of how each city was suppose to have little activities you could do, like keg brawl, but also Polymock, bar brawl, the shooting range, and moa races. But SAB is very polished, with a good reward system, and is pretty fun, even if it is far from complete.

It is very easy though. I expected to use a continue coin on a hard jumping course, but instead used it learning the final boss of World 1.

But yes, I’ve been trying to point out how different the fractal reward system is to every other system in place, including dungeons in both GW1 and 2, wintersday, and now in SAB.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

I just look at fractal skins as a badge of good luck and dedicated fractal running. More of the former than latter.

Because I think that and the Fused weapon skins are currently the only skins where the method of obtaining is purely luck, no?

Posted by: joeytan.3865

joeytan.3865

I do agree with the ppl who said fractal skins should maintain its rarity. Just look at legendary weapons, every casual tom, kitten and harry has it. I don’t even feel special carrying it anymore. There are too many ways of getting it, get lucky and it drops, using gold to buy it, going to gold selling website and getting it and of course there’s the waste time method of getting it the normal way(something i did as well). The best thing is you cant even change the stats on it as it will lose the legendary status on it.

In conclusion the only thing legendaries stand for now it a big fat legendary failure on the side of Anet. Now ascended skins are a way they can redeem themselves but leaving it to pure RNG is just stupid as someone doing fractal 20+ might just get lucky and get a skin they want, while on the other hand someone doing fractals 40+ cant get a skin he wants. This has been a major flaw that Anet has used as a basics for this game. If they feel they have to limit the amount of a certain item in game, they believe the only way they can do it is through RNG.

PLS TRY TO BE A BIT MORE CREATIVE.

MOST OF THE STUFF ABOVE THIS POINT IS RANTING SO YOU DON’T HAVE TO READ IT. BUT PLEASE READ THE STUFF BELOW.

Here are a few ways you can fix it.

1. As mentioned by Rising Dusk a fractal skin token which can be exchanged for the skin one wants is a good idea

2. Coming up with an exchange system of fractals skins between players who already own them would be another way. I have elobrated on this in the post below.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Fractal-Skins/first#post1696276

3. Another way would be to craft it as mentioned in the post below
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Fractal-Weapons-Attainable-and-Still-Rare/first#post1775138

However after doing all this you might also want to restrict the player base who have a access to fractal skins in the first place. I shall also state a few ways in doing that.

1. As zerotwo mentioned, have a achievement based cap. Something like doing 1000+ fractals. Before being able to acquire fractal skins.

2. Allow anything related fractal skins to be dropped in the top tier of fractals which is currently. Personally I think it should be only allowed to be dropped at the highest few lvl, maybe something like 45-49 but that’s up to anet’s desecration. Please make sure this can only be done if one’s personal lvl is at the required lvl.

3. Change the current system where players can do the tier of the highest personal lvl player in the group. Restrict them to their own tier aka lvl 20+ players can only do lvl 20-29 but of course if higher lvl player should still be able to help lower lvl players if they wish. For example lvl 40+ being able to do being able to do all other lvls or 30+ being able to do 20+, 10+ and 1+.

Frankly its sad that the player base can come up with better ideas then the design team but putting that aside there are alot of ideas on the forums. Try to integrate some of these ideas into a new fractal skins acquisition systems PLEASE!