Official policy on selling paths?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: eldris.8461

eldris.8461

I was wondering what the official policy on selling/buying paths is. I decided to try it (buying) today and did 3 fine, no problems. 4th person took mine (and I assume the other 3’s) gold, kicked us and blocked them.

I know I know, it’s a risk and yeah I’m fine losing that, it was a risk I was willing to make.

But I wonder, can you report these people for scamming? I don’t know what the actual policy is on selling paths.

If it’s allowed, could they add a tool where you can pay so and so X gold on completion of the dungeon? Both parties would be protected that way.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

It’s allowed, and you can see the FAQ for the link, but it has the same safety from scamming as trading items off the TP does. You can do it, but if you’re scammed it’s not anet’s problem.

You can buy/sell paths as long as no exploits occurred, and you didn’t kick people to sell their spots, etc.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

There is an official post (I’m sure someone can dig it up) where it is explicitly stated that it’s ok.

I don’t think Anet really likes it though and there’s pretty much no chance of an official interface for doing it.

As for support ticket, you can try it, but I doubt anything will come of it.

Just curious, what dungeons you looking to buy?

Posted by: eldris.8461

eldris.8461

I wasn’t really looking to buy a particular one. My ele is nearly level 80, I was bored and threw some money at the problem. Not looking to get the gold back, just want that person to get a warning for scamming (since they blocked me before I could send them a typically british passive-aggressive complaint letter)

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

I wasn’t really looking to buy a particular one. My ele is nearly level 80, I was bored and threw some money at the problem. Not looking to get the gold back, just want that person to get a warning for scamming (since they blocked me before I could send them a typically british passive-aggressive complaint letter)

Just a tip for next time you get to need this: try out some sPvP, since through the glory you gain from it, you can buy PvE levels for your character. One level is 20 silvers and 1500 glory, not a difficult deal and way cheaper and less risky than buying paths!

\||||||/
O°v°O

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

I would definitely report the guy that scammed you. You can keep the reputable sellers on your list and whisper them to find out if they’ll be selling any paths on a given day.

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

Selling is allowed as long as you don’t exploit.

This means legit Arah selling.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It’s a pretty gray area:

1. ANet has stated in the past that buying/selling paths is OK, as long as no exploits are used. (That said, there’s some controversy lately over a seller who was apparently banned for selling even legit runs. I don’t know what the latest status update is.)

2. Buying/selling paths is considered to be a “gentleman’s agreement” between two players, meaning that it’s conducted at your own risk. If the seller or buyer scams you, ANet won’t help you get your money back.

3. You can (and should) still report these scammers, since scamming is against the ToS and is a bannable offense, but even in this scenario you’re not going to get your money back.

4. As a caveat to point 3, I’ve gotten the feeling that ANet treats any support cases relating to path selling as a very, very low priority, since it is not an activity they generally approve of.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Some idiot actually scammed you? Lmfao, what the hell. If he’s already at the end of the path, why wouldn’t he just finish it?

Posted by: Raven.3248

Raven.3248

rule 1 – dont exploit and sell
rule 2 – dont kick players to sell
rule 3 – dont join a seller if you dont wana buy
rule 4 – dont sell just to be cool (4 man AC and sell 1 spot)
rule 5 – dont kick players if they buy

Did i miss anything?

Just another Arah veteran

(edited by Raven.3248)

Posted by: noobgood.8762

noobgood.8762

rule 1 – dont exploit and sell
rule 2 – dont kick players to sell
rule 3 – dont join a seller if you dont wana buy
rule 4 – dont sell just to be cool (4 man AC and sell 1 spot)

Did i miss anything?

Don’t scam buyers?

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Dont kick sellers just because you’re a kitten.

Posted by: Raven.3248

Raven.3248

covered under rule 3

Just another Arah veteran

Posted by: ubershaun.3649

ubershaun.3649

Allowed. A dev even payed a proxy just to get into the instance to check it, nothing came of it. That said don’t risk agitating any….

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

I have bought one dungeon path before due to lack of people doing it.
The seller was friendly and patient. No problems.

After exiting the dungeon, I was still in the team and saw the last boss message reposted straight away and then I got kicked as I already had my reward and tokens.

After that I pretty much assumed all sellers are using some sort of exploit and avoid them.

This is one of the biggest issues to me personally. I can see they are selling. I can see they’re filling up. I have no idea whether they are legit, exploiters, scammers.

This could provide an opportunity for a-net to create a gold sink. Sorta like paypal. You pay into a proxy account that releases gold to the party host once the dungeon has been completed and everyone has exited.

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

ANet permits path selling, but they do not officially support it, and have stated that buyers are doing so at their own risk. It’s a gentleman’s agreement between the buyer and seller, so ANet cannot offer reimbursement if either party fails to uphold their side of the bargain. They can, however, punish scammers under the ToS.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

What’s the deal with buying dungeon paths anyways?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Convenience. Some people are tight on time or are just plain lazy. It’s analogous to dining in a restaurant.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Alt leveling. It’s fast and convenient.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

If you get scammed, set up your own LFG posting and warn others

“Do not join X, he is a scammer”

Of course, this is open up to abuse, but thanks to party chat not disappearing, you can also tell other people in the party that got scammed to make the same posting.

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

After exiting the dungeon, I was still in the team and saw the last boss message reposted straight away and then I got kicked as I already had my reward and tokens.

After that I pretty much assumed all sellers are using some sort of exploit and avoid them.

What you saw was an lfg bug. I always see that message pop up after a pug starts disbanding after a dungeon. It says the lfg was reposted in your chat box, but if you check the lfg, nothing is posted.

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

It’s allowed, and you can see the FAQ for the link, but it has the same safety from scamming as trading items off the TP does. You can do it, but if you’re scammed it’s not anet’s problem.

You can buy/sell paths as long as no exploits occurred, and you didn’t kick people to sell their spots, etc.

That’s what kind of bugs me about this game. I know this game isn’t WoW, but they didn’t penalize players for trading between each other to avoid tax (as far as I know anyway). Mat or gold theft/scamming between players was reportable. The two players verbal agreement was checked in the chat logs, and if the person bailed after receiving mats or gold, they were penalized and the player got their stuff back. I know that would make extra work for Anet with log checking etc, but like all other reports, false accusations were met with stiff penalties. I just feel like it’s not right in this game that people can just rip each other off like that. Sometimes it’s nice to just give someone else all the mats to make something you can’t, especially if it’s expensive to buy. Granted dungeon selling is a gray area, but if ANet says it’s ok, it should be protected as well.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

1: Exploiting is not allowed
2: buying dungeonpaths is at own risk, if you get scammed, you won’t get your money back.
3: scamming itself is not allowed, so if you got scammed, report the scammer so support can ban him. If it is impossible to report ingame you can make a support ticket. include as much info as possible. make sure that when you tell them the time when it happened, you also mention the timezone you are in.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: MisterElliott.2481

MisterElliott.2481

Pretty sure people sold runs in GW1. In fact, I vaguely remember people selling CoF runs all the time. Following that logic, one could be bold enough to believe that the same is allowed in ANet’s game set in the same universe.