Playing an inferior pve class

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

do i really really need to make an warrior/mesmer for pve !??!
any comments from a-net on this problem ?

Attachments:

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

Nope you don’t.

However if you want to join a Zerk Speed Farm of CoF Path 1, you do. Mainly because the group doesn’t work without extreme DPS, If fights last beyond a certain point the entire team wipes.

So when you say PvE then no you don’t need a Warrior. If you mean Zerk Speed Run then yes you do.

Ratty.5176

BTW if the person in the Image just said Speed Run, then Yes he was at fault. You can Speed Run with any class. You just can’t do a 6 min Zerk 4 Warrior/1 Mez Speed Clear.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Still, 6 of 8 professions suck at dealing damage. If there is more than one target, 7 suck.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: hammer.9721

hammer.9721

Just like to point one thing out after looking at that pic.a lot of people view a farm group as in one that will do multiple runs.i always advertise looking for a cof p1 farm and nobody is ever disappointed when they see im a p/d thief.

Dub.1273

P/D? It’s hard to imagine someone isn’t disappointed when seeing that.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

That’s a very good question, OP. Why play an unterklass?

hammer.9721

Think you should look at some of the pics i put up from my toons especially my mes that has all cof gear which includes 5 different weapons that i farmed in 3 days.

Dont get me wrong i do like groups when its me and 3 zerk warriors and a mes since i can get my daily revive done in one run sometimes.

My server has already figured out you dont need the so call perfect group wonder how long until others do.

Posted by: Erebus.3897

Erebus.3897

Actually lately I’ve been farming CoF1 with 3 wars, me on mesmer, and 1 thief.

Thief breaks door before effigy faster than warrior.

makes the run about 40 secs to 1 min shorter, since they crit for a lot also.

Commander Gladius Deum [ART]
Gate of Madness

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Actually lately I’ve been farming CoF1 with 3 wars, me on mesmer, and 1 thief.

Thief breaks door before effigy faster than warrior.

makes the run about 40 secs to 1 min shorter, since they crit for a lot also.

I’ve long advocated substituting one thief into the group for a warrior but I get laughed out of the room. I also believe one ranger could be surprisingly effective in certain encounters (in terms of speed runs).

Fwiw I run ranger solely in dungeons and do quite well in PUGs and have speed run experience.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Dub.1273

Think you should look at some of the pics i put up from my toons especially my mes that has all cof gear which includes 5 different weapons that i farmed in 3 days.

Dont get me wrong i do like groups when its me and 3 zerk warriors and a mes since i can get my daily revive done in one run sometimes.

My server has already figured out you dont need the so call perfect group wonder how long until others do.

Not that it’s not possible to run cof with a p/d thief but a p/d thief actually brings nothing to the group at all. Could aswell use a ranger spamming shortbow autoattack. Or just do it 4 men. No feelable difference at all.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Ioflux.4369

Ioflux.4369

The difference in bringing a pro thief and a pro warrior is minimal at best. Warriors can kill the gate before final boss faster given they actually do a proper dps rotation. The difference in time that you’re looking at in optimal dps groups with thief vs warriors is <30s difference. Warriors just have more cushion for failure than thieves.

Posted by: Booler.6598

Booler.6598

At least you cleared the entrance to the citidal of flames

Always in all ways

Posted by: Erebus.3897

Erebus.3897

The difference in bringing a pro thief and a pro warrior is minimal at best. Warriors can kill the gate before final boss faster given they actually do a proper dps rotation. The difference in time that you’re looking at in optimal dps groups with thief vs warriors is <30s difference. Warriors just have more cushion for failure than thieves.

The difference between

*4 Zerker Warriors
*1 Zerker Mesmer

and,

*3 Zerker Warriors
*1 Zerker or Knights d/d thief
*1 Zerker Mesmer

is probably 10 secs less per run on the latter, which in a 2h farm is 1 run more, which is more money.

Commander Gladius Deum [ART]
Gate of Madness

(edited by Erebus.3897)

Posted by: ShadowLordX.5148

ShadowLordX.5148

D/D Zerker specced thieves are fine for CoF P1 speed runs, in fact they’re better than the 4th Warrior if they’re good, because each warrior beyond the 2nd, and especially the third starts to drop off in terms of added team damage since you start to max out the might and fury, and you can have all of the banners that are needed with 1/2 warriors.

But the problem is that soem of the culture around CoF has become ONLY warriors and mesmers, even though most other zerker specced classes would be fine as long as you have 1 mesmer and 2 or so warriors, because it’s easier to be certain that everyone’s reasonably competent, since a bad warrior hurts the party a lot less than a bad thief/guard/ele/etc.

All Classes 80; Kylar, Verushk, Thorgar,
Valar, Lyala, Laya, Leyela, Cattee
Coldsnap [IX], Blackgate

hammer.9721

seems to me there are a few others that realized you dont need the so called meta group group in this thread and the comment about me being a freeloader lol.guess some people are stuck in their wow days still thinking only a certain make up of classes can do something even though it was laughable there as well.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

You’re not an inferior class. They’re just looking for a specific group composition with specific classes to do a specific type of run.

Just respect their wishes, move on and make you’re own group or join some one looking for some thing similar you’re looking for.

Ioflux.4369

The difference between

*4 Zerker Warriors
*1 Zerker Mesmer

and,

*3 Zerker Warriors
*1 Zerker or Knights d/d thief
*1 Zerker Mesmer

is probably 10 secs less per run on the latter, which in a 2h farm is 1 run more, which is more money.

If you want to get technical about 10s, I wouldnt run with 95% of gw2 community due to them not loading fast enough in and out in between runs. If your loading screen takes longer than 2s, then I wouldnt bother with that kind of mentality. Good thing that I dont count my money by the “seconds” but by the food timer. I can get 9 runs per food, 10 if you swap between two characters alternating foods. (Warrior and mes, got gold infusion on both).

Point is, 10s isnt the difference between taking a thief or a warrior, its the number of runs you can fulfill per foodfit hour.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

You are taking a party slot while doing nothing. Not because you are a thief, because a D/D thief can contribute decently to a cof p1, but because you’re just a ranged kitten using the worst weapon set the class has to offer in PVE.

You get your daily revive because your groups aren’t really full zerker (if they were, they’d kick you at the sight of the pistol almost instantly, the fact that they aren’t kicking you is evidence that they are lacking experience in the game and in speedruns) and you contribute absolutely no damage whatsoever. You’re not even doing half of the damage of a shout warrior in full tank gear and traited for healy shouts. No wonder they die at the slave driver if they melee it and it doesn’t die fast.

You might feel smug being a thief joining these groups but anyone who has a clue about these runs knows that running as 4 men without you would be the exact same thing as running with you.

You are a freeloader.

Fun fact: my warrior/mule’s name is Skullcrusher. It’s a shame I snagged that name for a mule, no?

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Lol, Mistfire Wolf.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Ioflux.4369

seems to me there are a few others that realized you dont need the so called meta group group in this thread and the comment about me being a freeloader lol.guess some people are stuck in their wow days still thinking only a certain make up of classes can do something even though it was laughable there as well.

What’s funny is that you actually think your P/D thief is pulling its equal value to the rest of the warriors in your group. I could bring my necro and auto attack and be proud that we can do “speedrun farms” but I wouldnt be so deluded as to think my necro is pulling its own weight. (not dying is not the same as pulling your own weight).

hammer.9721

What’s funny is that you actually think your P/D thief is pulling its equal value to the rest of the warriors in your group. I could bring my necro and auto attack and be proud that we can do “speedrun farms” but I wouldnt be so deluded as to think my necro is pulling its own weight. (not dying is not the same as pulling your own weight).

Actually what is even more funny is you think people are always grouped with warriors and that im always group with multiple ones.My favorite farm group was 4 thieves and a mez.we did 10 flawless runs.Another of my favorite groups was a group i wasnt even sure about at first that consisted of me 2 rangers and 2 necros and once again near flawless.one person did die at the rocks but big deal.

While the so called elite people are spending time trying to find that perfect group i already did my first 3 runs on my p/d thief and switched to my mes.

I will run cof with any class combination if the player knows what they are doing.Now i do agree somewhat with your necro comment.I did one run with mine and because of the spec i was a liability and havent used him since but i have been with a lot of necros that i would have no problem running with again.

(edited by hammer.9721)

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Thread?
Are we actually measuring human performance in seconds?
You’ve got to be kidding me with that.

There is no way you’re getting five actual human beings to work with the kind of clockwork precision that they finish each run at the very same second over a two hour period, much less any random collection of five actual human beings that don’t even know eachother.

Let’s back to the land of reality, where people take bathroom breaks, aren’t as good as they think they are, and occasionally like to blink.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Ioflux.4369

Whats funny is I based my statement on your words but somehow you go off into a different party setup. Again, I can do cof farm all day with any party makeup I can think of flawlessly, does not make it any faster than optimal speeds of farming.

For the record, I spend less than 2min finding a cof path 1 party easily. Unless you can do 3 runs in <2min, your statement is invalid.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

And i that opened this thread thinking about a Engi or Necro…

Thief is fine for a average CofP1 farming, as long as:
-it’s a good player
-it’s properly specced and geared for DPS
-your team isn’t a bunch of douch… well, you got it.

But i’m another fan of 1 mes, 3 war and then another X class setup, especially when the difference is so neligible.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

Actually what is even more funny is you think people are always grouped with warriors and that im always group with multiple ones.My favorite farm group was 4 thieves and a mez.we did 10 flawless runs.Another of my favorite groups was a group i wasnt even sure about at first that consisted of me 2 rangers and 2 necros and once again near flawless.one person did die at the rocks but big deal.

While the so called elite people are spending time trying to find that perfect group i already did my first 3 runs on my p/d thief and switched to my mes.

I will run cof with any class combination if the player knows what they are doing.Now i do agree somewhat with your necro comment.I did one run with mine and because of the spec i was a liability and havent used him since but i have been with a lot of necros that i would have no problem running with again.

The point I think the others were trying to make, is that by design (stated by Anet), melee weapons deal more DPS, and you are purposely reducing DPS significantly by choosing to stay with a ranged weapon. This is true, of course, if you learn how to avoid downing/dying at melee range. Melee is given more damage because of how risky it is compared to the safety of shooting at a target from a distance.

If you’re going to argue that P/D is an optimal weapon for DPS versus D/D or even S/P, what is your reasoning besides distance safety? Are skills 1, 2, and 3 somehow superior? I don’t think anyone is arguing that a run can’t be completed with P/D, but rather that it is not the most efficient set to use for optimal damage.

hammer.9721

Again, in your case, this isn’t even about your class. You chose the worst build you could ever use on a thief. The people you group with have no idea what they’re doing or they would kick you as soon as they see you. Pistol Dagger is such a terrible set, even Pistol/Pistol would be better at least for having some burst.

Yes, you’re pretty much a freeloader. You contribute nothing of worth to a group. You’re choosing the easy way out because you’re probably incapable of entering melee range and then brag about how competent you are in this thread and how zerkers group make up your daily revives. You’re paired with the type of people you deserve. The type of 4war/1mes group that wouldn’t die all the time wouldn’t take you in their group, which makes this a self fulfilling prophecy : you think all zerker groups are bad and make up your daily revive because the competent ones will not take you in. The ones that do take you in are probably filled with mixed gear warriors, signet warrior, full shout warriors, mesmers who don’t know when to use their feedback or even equip signet of inspiration..

Self inflicted tunnel vision.

Actually i made my thief p/d because i like reading the tears on the forums when they die to one.Now if you could read i said i play multiple toons but i always start with my thief to do the first 3 runs so i can see what the group is like.

Now this thread is about cof farming.nowhere in that screenshot did the other rude person say anything about a speed run he said he should of known what a farm group is.Believe it or not other classes are allowed to farm cof.

As for the rest of the drivel you wrote not worth my time.

Ioflux.4369

Talking about dying to a P/D thief in a PvE forum discussion. The best….

hammer.9721

Another person that cant read.Your buddy said i made him because i cant melee.So i said the reason why i made him p/d.It must really bother some people knowing that all classes can actually farm cof.Now noticed i said farm nowhere in any of my posts did i say i do speed runs.i couldnt care less if a run takes me a minute longer.

Posted by: Iures.2894

Iures.2894

Sadly, it seems to be accurate. His team mates shouldn’t be dying, even if he weren’t there. Since they’re dying with him there, clearly they’re dying to his P/D thief. . .

Iures.2894

Another person that cant read.Your buddy said i made him because i cant melee.So i said the reason why i made him p/d.It must really bother some people knowing that all classes can actually farm cof.Now noticed i said farm nowhere in any of my posts did i say i do speed runs.i couldnt care less if a run takes me a minute longer.

In calling out someone else for not being able to read, you’ve sadly shown that you can’t even keep your sources straight. Nikaido hasn’t said anything (yet) about your not being able to melee, just that you chose an absolute garbage weapon set. He at no point speculated as to why you would choose to do this. Regardless, your crap damage setup seems to be actively killing your team mates. Congratulations?

hammer.9721

In calling out someone else for not being able to read, you’ve sadly shown that you can’t even keep your sources straight. Nikaido hasn’t said anything (yet) about your not being able to melee, just that you chose an absolute garbage weapon set. He at no point speculated as to why you would choose to do this. Regardless, your crap damage setup seems to be actively killing your team mates. Congratulations?

lol You kinda look stupid right now dont you
You’re choosing the easy way out because you’re probably incapable of entering melee range.Wonder who said that

Last post them im done with you idiots.It is up to my team mates to decide If im pulling my weight or not in my groups not some elites on a message board that cant even read what the topic is about.

Iures.2894

You’re choosing the easy way out because you’re probably incapable of entering melee range.Wonder who said that

Last post them im done with you idiots.It is up to my team mates to decide If im pulling my weight or not in my groups not some elites on a message board that cant even read what the topic is about.

Meh, I missed a sentence. Happens.

Posted by: Me Kill You.9035

Me Kill You.9035

There are a lot of people on both sides of this. While I am inclined to be on the side of people who think everyone should be able to run with whatever they choose, just because that’s how I am I guess, I totally can see the other side and the fact that some builds are just not made for dungeons AT ALL.

People need to find a compromise so that people who don’t want to have to make a war/mes to do the most viable farm (at the moment) can still paticipate on a larger scale, but aren’t using builds that just don’t belong there in the first place.

As has been stated many times, 90% of it is player skill, and in the hands of a skilled player, any half-decent build can contribute to the group.

(Of course there’s always going to be the people who want 5 min runs every time, I partake in this on both war and mes sometimes but its too high maint for me to run all dam day)

Jade Quarry [TPA]

Posted by: Riddle.5261

Riddle.5261

I read the title of the forum post and I will answer it for you. You are an inferior PvE class. The idea of you stepping into a farm group with a lackluster build is pathetic. You are the prime example of a casual. Keep your selfish incompetent

Posted by: Riddle.5261

Riddle.5261

I read the title of the forum post and I will answer it for you. You are an inferior PvE class. The idea of you stepping into a farm group with a lackluster build is pathetic. You are the prime example of a casual.

hammer.9721

I read the title of the forum post and I will answer it for you. You are an inferior PvE class. The idea of you stepping into a farm group with a lackluster build is pathetic. You are the prime example of a casual.

Lol a hardcore player using the casual insult.Other than the break im on atm creating different races of classes i deleted i spend all of my time in wvw and thats what i spec for.i have to many toons to have multiple sets of gear for each so i use the best one for there.Why are you elites so mad that i can get groups almost instantly for cof.Does it really bother you that much?

Since some people cant understand i farm cof with multiple toons and not just my thief here is a screenshoot of another 1.He’s nothing special just trying to make a point.

Attachments:

Me Kill You.9035

Before anyone has a chance to rant about Hammer’s post, I’m going to go out on a limb and guess this is a random (probably wvw) build he has on, I dont want to come in here and see meaningless flaming, guys!

KEEP IT CLEAN YOU kittenERS

Jade Quarry [TPA]

hammer.9721

Before anyone has a chance to rant about Hammer’s post, I’m going to go out on a limb and guess this is a random (probably wvw) build he has on, I dont want to come in here and see meaningless flaming, guys!

KEEP IT CLEAN YOU kittenERS

Read my last post and yep you are correct.

Still trying to understand why people are so upset i get groups so easily on my thief and cant even understand i play multiple toons.I did read some of that other thief thread(i know not p/d) thief and noticed all the raging from people so maybe i should of just let them insult me and moved on.

Edit-i just wanted to make clear the first part of the post was directed at the person i quoted not the second pararagraph

(edited by hammer.9721)

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Still, 6 of 8 professions suck at dealing damage. If there is more than one target, 7 suck.

No.

In fact 100b warriors are not the highest DPS in the game (talking about organized groups).

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

Even as a mesmer, I’ve been kicked from groups for not being a heavy. I’ve learned to stay away from all groups asking for, “heavies only”, “zerker warrior only”, “guardian only”, “speed run”, “farming”, “no noobs”, “____ or you will be kicked”, “ping gear”, and sadly most of the people I see running the harder dungeons like arah asking for, “very experienced only” are usually scrubs.

Groups like those are usually started by people who aren’t fun to play with, and usually attract players who aren’t very good to begin with. I think good players know any dungeon can be completed by any mix of classes/builds, and even a group of mostly first timers in a dungeon can have a smooth run if someone is willing to fully explain the dungeon mechanics.

I understand why people want warriors for farm runs, their damage are just off the charts, but farm runs are usually for only CoF path 1. and it blows my mind how some people can act elitist over the easiest path, in the easiest dungeon, in the entire game.
anyways, this is just my opinion on the matter.

Me Kill You.9035

it blows my mind how some people can act elitist over the easiest path, in the easiest dungeon, in the entire game.
anyways

Welcome to the club

Jade Quarry [TPA]

Me Kill You.9035

You’ll call us scrubs the day you do decent arah runs in the first place. If you’re part of all these groups who range lupicus you’re a scrub just like the rest of the people you’re calling scrubs.

Well, to be fair Ive done arah many times ( can’t help but love some of the armors there..) and I only did him the range way just because I didn’t know people did that, If I had know I would have learned.

And next time I find myself there, I plan to try it, I’m sure its not really that hard, you don’t even have to move LOL

Jade Quarry [TPA]

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

and sadly most of the people I see running the harder dungeons like arah asking for, “very experienced only” are usually scrubs.

You’ll call us scrubs the day you do decent arah runs in the first place. If you’re part of all these groups who range lupicus you’re a scrub just like the rest of the people you’re calling scrubs.

I don’t see how being ranged or melee has anything to do with it. But if it matters to you, I’m 100% melee in everything I do.

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

I don’t see how being ranged or melee has anything to do with it. But if it matters to you, I’m 100% melee in everything I do.

You just proved his point. Melee’ing Lupus is more challenging by far.

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

No you don’t need a warrior or Mesmer for pve. Even for CoF it is not hard to get into teams without playing a warrior or Mesmer but yes, having a war, guard and/or mes certainly increases your chances of getting into any dungeon team dramatically, guardians aren’t sought after for cof speedruns but for difficult content like Arah, high level fractals and so on they’re more popular than warriors and Mesmer and generally guards are always good to have. I need to beat arah p1 and p2 for my Dungeon Master title but I can’t seem to ever find a party which is why I’m leveling my guardian right now. While I don’t think you need certain professions to beat regular pve or even most of the group-based pve I think having a guard, mes and war-guard in particular, will dramatically increase the chances of a solo player to get into high level pve teams. If you’re not a solo player and have friends/a large guild to play with then your class doesn’t really matter.

They really need to balance the professions better. Guards, wars and mesmers are just too good. Eles and thieves are okay but necro, ranger and engi are so weak compared to the others.

(edited by Sundar.1735)

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

no you need warrior or guardian..

Mesmer is only for CoF path 1 portal for lazy players.

unfortunately there are huge misconception that some classes are good…

-mesmer its really not that good and overrated for antiprojectile

-Ele is hugely underrated at antiprojectile but unfortunately even in zerker his dps is too low and can be a hinderance (there are DPS walls in the game).
If you see an ele with a staff btw you know that 90% it won t bring much to the party in any area.

-thief is the most underrated PvE profession its really strong beside not being a star class like G and W, unfortunately most thief players are not experienced in PvE and that goves the class a bad reputation
Aside that is possible the third best.

-eng is also good for support….better than ele possibly but again who cares of support?
With a game balanced around pure DPS.

TL:DR this is the only game where “a dead character deals no damage” rule doesn t work

Its better to die in a burst of damage than trying slowly to kill opponents.
reasons:
-most fights resets
-downed state push dps
-cc are useless
-2/3 seconds protection/invu skills promotes burst
-HUGE mob regen
-mob damage and numbers are completely unbalanced to push difficulty instead of a good AI (its a mmorpg u can t ask much more) or other methods (most work should be done here instead see random encounters).

and stuff like that….
In this meta the 3 rules are

Guardian are best
Warrior are second best
Every equipment that isn t Pow prec crit, is subpar.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Ratty.5176

no you need warrior or guardian..

Mesmer is only for CoF path 1 portal for lazy players.

Not at all. The Mesmer does a lot of other useful things. Doubles up boons, Time Warps, Pulls enemies into location so you can AOE them down, places Feedback to protect the DPS during the first part

Posted by: DrFutzLoop.5316

DrFutzLoop.5316

You could go mes or warrior.. do your zerk runs in 6 mins or so… But why bother? Personally our guild can run through CoF P1 in about 7-8 mins with running all different classes.. most commonly 2 guards, an ele, an thief and a warrior.. Then when done, rotate around to another character and do the same thing.

The game is more about having fun rather than being picked on because you’re not the right class to do a certain run..

[GIA] Glory In Ashes
In Hoc Signo Vinces

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

No you need a warrior/mesmer to do cof p1 speed farming. There is a big difference between pve and cof p1 farming.