Please Add a Solo Mode to Dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

True, and on the handful of times I’ve gone through a dungeon those have been significantly more enjoyable. But there is still an aspect of dependability that really kills the experience for me. A feeling of everyone needing everyone or you aren’t going to make it. I’m a pick up and put down kind of player because like most of us, RL gets in the way and I need to log off. If I’m by myself this is no big deal but if I’m with a group suddenly I’ve let the group down. They now need to put everything on halt to find a new player to join them since proceeding will likely result in death because casual players are also inherently weaker players. I feel bad doing that to people so really the only responsible thing is to not play dungeons.

It’s that double sided dependability that solo’ers dislike. We don’t like depending on people and we don’t like people having to depend on us.

wow haha, whenever someone has left a party for me I havnt even thought twice about it and have just grabbed someone else to fill their spot or finished it as a 4. I dont thikn anyone would begrudge you for leaving in a casual group. It is nice to see you respect peoples time like that though.

I would like to apologise for my initial post which was probably more snappy that it should have been. I am just tired of seeing people wanting to change the game to suit their style at the detriment of other peoples enjoyment, which seem to be all over now with HOT. You seem like a nice and reasonable person though.

If you did ever want to do a dungeon on EU then I wouldnt mind running any style with you and wouldnt care if you left in the middle.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Why are you requesting soloable Dungeons while nearly all of emm are soloable

They are soloable by very elite highly-geared individuals. Yes they CAN be solo’ed and I applaud them for that. But those of us who will never get to that skill/gear level will never be able to do it.
I want to preface this by emphasizing that I am not asking them to make dungeons easier. I am asking for a solo mode in exactly the same way they did for Arah personal story. Thos people who can solo group dungeons will still be able to be just as proud because nothing on that side will have changed. All we are asking for here is a Solo mode in addition to whats already there.

Getting exotic gear with basic sigils/runes isn’t exactly costly and something you should have by now anyway.
Skill/knowledge of the encounter is something you learn by trying. If you go in there with an attitude of “I’m never going to do it anyway” then no, you certainly won’t make it. Pick a path that is soloable and play around a bit. Yes, you are likely to get wrecked by some bosses, but the only thing you’d be losing is time, while at the same time you gain more knowledge of your class and improve yourself, which doesn’t only help in that dungeon path, but everywhere in the game. Everyone can solo dungeons/fractals if they have the patience and are willing to do so. If you’re not, well that’s a shame.
I don’t think there’s ever going to be a solo mode anyway. ANet dropped dungeons into their grave and buried them, they’re not going to dig them up for anything, maybe bugfixes if something major breaks, but lol.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I explain in a previous post why it would kill grouping. heres a TLDR:
people only do dungeons frequently now for tokens. If they can get tokens in solo mode they wont go through the effort of grouping even if they dont mind it because the extra challenges arent worth it.

Anyway the purpose of a solo mode wouldnt be to get rewards easy. It would be to give people who hate grouping a chance to experience the content in a way they find fun. I still think it would be necessary that rewards are harder to earn in solo as many of the challenges are removed by being able to do it alone.

I guess I’m just not seeing it. A 1/4 of the normal rewards would not be quick gain, even solo. Maybe we are imagining different kinds of difficulty. In my mind, solo does not necessarily mean easy. It just means balanced for one player. Some of the story instances are not what I’d call “easy” for one player, but they are balanced around one player. The same could be done here.

Or words to that effect.

zombyturtle.5980

I guess I’m just not seeing it. A 1/4 of the normal rewards would not be quick gain, even solo. Maybe we are imagining different kinds of difficulty. In my mind, solo does not necessarily mean easy. It just means balanced for one player. Some of the story instances are not what I’d call “easy” for one player, but they are balanced around one player. The same could be done here.

Im not saying solo is always easy, but im saying many of the challenges of grouping would be removed making dungeons inherently easier to complete.

things such as
- Supporting teammates through timings of skills
-Coordination to complete puzzle mechanics
-Combo field utilization
-Skill rotations between teammates
-Positioning to support team dps
-skipping as a group

are some of the basic team mechanics that add a challenge when grouping. These would all be gone if dungeons were soloable which would change the challenges dungeons offer and probably make them easier as they arent designed to provide a challenge for solo players.

Posted by: CIndeR.3479

CIndeR.3479

wow haha, whenever someone has left a party for me I havnt even thought twice about it and have just grabbed someone else to fill their spot or finished it as a 4. I dont thikn anyone would begrudge you for leaving in a casual group. It is nice to see you respect peoples time like that though.

I would like to apologise for my initial post which was probably more snappy that it should have been. I am just tired of seeing people wanting to change the game to suit their style at the detriment of other peoples enjoyment, which seem to be all over now with HOT. You seem like a nice and reasonable person though.

If you did ever want to do a dungeon on EU then I wouldnt mind running any style with you and wouldnt care if you left in the middle.

Thought nothing of it, man, you seem a reasonable fellow yourself. Honestly my post could have easily come across as me complaining about the current state of dungeons, so really any kind of negative reaction to it would be perfectly warranted as there is plenty of complaining on these forums as it is. But mostly I’m just looking for a way for more people to enjoy more of the game.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I’m not trying to attack anyone for their preferences but I’m honestly surprised there’s so many who don’t want to play with other people. I’m genuinely curious, what draws you to MMOs? There’s so many good RPGs out right now that offer an amazing single player experience (Witcher 3, Skyrim, FO4, Dragon Age, etc.)

I do play with real-life friends and relatives. Guildies might work, but I’ve (until recently) been in a guild with just friends and relatives. It’s general pick-up groups that are the problem.

What draws me to it? I would play GW even if it were not an MMO, assuming the game was otherwise the same. The fact that other people are playing it doesn’t really matter to me (except that I can’t keep up with the economy, but that’s a different issue). I like the GAME, not the fact that other people are playing it. And I do like playing with friends and relatives, so the MMO part is good there.

Daddicus.6128

It’s not that we don’t like playing with other people, on the contrary I love playing with others. It’s the fact that we don’t like organized grouping. I love group events, trading, talking with others, and generally playing in a game where others are playing with me. What we don’t like is depending on others or (often even worse) having others depending on you. Rather than a carefree, enjoyable, go-at-your-own-pace adventure you are now in a stressful go-go strike team of people who are all there to get loot and get out and you better hold your own or you’re getting kicked. I understand that that is a pleasurable experience to some but certainly you can understand how it might not be pleasurable to others.

Well stated. This is my style exactly. And, I would bet it’s true of 80% of the PvE-only crowd.

Daddicus.6128

This attitude is honestly just toxic and has no place in any game. How rude of you to criticize others way of playing and to be so intolerant of their seeking like minded people to play with.

Sorry, but I’m not an elitist, and I don’t come close to liking elitists. And only elitists would pull such a stunt. So, sorry to offend you, but that’s not going to change my mind.

zombyturtle.5980

This attitude is honestly just toxic and has no place in any game. How rude of you to criticize others way of playing and to be so intolerant of their seeking like minded people to play with.

Sorry, but I’m not an elitist, and I don’t come close to liking elitists. And only elitists would pull such a stunt. So, sorry to offend you, but that’s not going to change my mind.

You dont have to like people nor agree with them. If you feel they are elitist thats your opinion, but that doesnt give you the right to say they should be insta-banned for doing nothing wrong.

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

I would already be happy if the story mode of the dungeons would be made soloable at least. As nobody probably cares about that “beginner” mode anymore. “We” are not demanding that the “solo mode” should replace the grouping. People find enough to team up and find out they have more fun in a group? More power to them! Leave exploration mode as it is so that the spirit of grouping won’t be destroyed for all I’d care.

Posted by: Ragmon.6350

Ragmon.6350

I would say, Solo Dungeon Story mode would be a great idea.
Solo Exploration isn’t a bad idea either, that way people can check out the dungeon before they want to farm it with group, like a tutorial. Lower the rewards, maybe add some achis, and you have a training mode for the dungeons. That way players don’t have to wait for “all welcome” groups, or make their own. They could just join “exp players only” groups too. Its a win-win situation.

Posted by: Ronnie Hu.1694

Ronnie Hu.1694

what i think is the Heroes system in gw1, we can easily team up with the NPC heroes and setup their skills for the dungeon.

Posted by: Muy.3170

Muy.3170

I very much agree with this solo story dungeon option. Not only did the developers abandon their dungeons, but left a lot of the story mixed with personal story group gated. It’s simply not sustainable to be cut off from updating as it is. I believe a fully support a 1 2 3 4 5 party dungeon mode that scaled the rewards and difficulty should be added. With this scaling it would affect all parts of the dungeon explorable and story modes as well.

This option would take time however, time I don’t understand why they wouldn’t want to put in to finish what they started, but would support itself through the future without any more fixing and should by no means create any reason for any future discussions.

zombyturtle.5980

what i think is the Heroes system in gw1, we can easily team up with the NPC heroes and setup their skills for the dungeon.

This would not work as GW2 is action based combat and requires timing on dodges and movement during combat.

Hero AI would be too poor to do this so you would have heros dead 24/7 on the floor.

zombyturtle.5980

Solo Exploration isn’t a bad idea either, that way people can check out the dungeon before they want to farm it with group, like a tutorial. Lower the rewards, maybe add some achis, and you have a training mode for the dungeons. That way players don’t have to wait for “all welcome” groups, or make their own. They could just join “exp players only” groups too. Its a win-win situation.

As long as tokens are not rewarded for solo mode. Tokens are the only reason to do explorable group dungeons now.

Posted by: Altoid.9104

Altoid.9104

Most dungeons are soloable, I don’t understand why there would need to be a solo mode. Maybe change it so the few dungeons that require a group (coe lasers for example) make you jump across and hit a switch to progress, but otherwise it’s fine.

CIndeR.3479

Most dungeons are soloable, I don’t understand why there would need to be a solo mode. Maybe change it so the few dungeons that require a group (coe lasers for example) make you jump across and hit a switch to progress, but otherwise it’s fine.

As I told another guy, dungeons are not soloable to casual players only to the more elite players who obey the meta and memorized every facet of the dungeon before even attempting to solo it. And as a group-designed dungeon I wouldnt expect them to be soloable by us casuals. I’m not asking them to be easier, I’m asking for a solo mode precisely the way they did for Arah.

(edited by CIndeR.3479)

Daddicus.6128

I’ll repeat, since many of you seem to have missed it:

Rewards should be EXACTLY the same! If 5 people go in, each receives some number of tokens. The total number of tokens is 5 times the base per-person number. Therefore, the base per-person loot pile does not need to change at all.

All that needs to change is the scaling. Which, after 3 years they should have a handle on by now.

Posted by: Altoid.9104

Altoid.9104

Welp, guess all I can say is I disagree with the above two posts. Not much more to really say since this is opinion based.

zombyturtle.5980

Rewards should be EXACTLY the same! If 5 people go in, each receives some number of tokens. The total number of tokens is 5 times the base per-person number. Therefore, the base per-person loot pile does not need to change at all.

All that needs to change is the scaling. Which, after 3 years they should have a handle on by now.

And I will repeat myself. The challenges are diminished by making the content soloable, so rewards should be diminished to ensure grouping is still a viable and worthwhile option.

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

I’m not sure about a solo mode, but I’d rather token rewards be increased
If there is going to be a solo mode, then they could remove the requirement of having players push stuff at the same time, and have NPCs make up for missing players. Obviously the NPCs would be nowhere as good as real people, but it’s better than nerfing dungeon difficulty directly. We would further cannibalize the content if everyone goes in alone, butchering the fact that it was created as group content.

Edit: Also, maybe include an option to customize the NPC commands.
Maybe NPC 1 has CC and more vitality and toughness.
NPC 2 blasts fields for you.
Downside of going into solo mode would be less liquid rewards.

No.

(edited by AWACS.6537)

Posted by: ZachAttack.3957

ZachAttack.3957

And I will repeat myself. The challenges are diminished by making the content soloable, so rewards should be diminished to ensure grouping is still a viable and worthwhile option.

Agreed. Content requiring coordination from multiple players (in most cases) is much harder than content that can be completed solo.

Daddicus.6128

I tried to get into Arah solo, but I don’t see how. Is there a trick to it? (I want to see what one of the other posters meant by “exactly like Arah”.)

Thanks!

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I tried to get into Arah solo, but I don’t see how. Is there a trick to it? (I want to see what one of the other posters meant by “exactly like Arah”.)

Thanks!

I believe he is referring to the Personal Story step Victory or Death, where you fight Zhaitan. It was originally balanced as a 5 person instance (story mode Arah, I think?). Now you can do that story step with one person.

Or words to that effect.

Daddicus.6128

Oh, I get it. I haven’t done that mission for quite a while, but I have done the dungeon a few times. I didn’t remember a solo mode, but if it’s part of the storyline, that makes sense.

Thanks!

Posted by: JoeytheHutt.1742

JoeytheHutt.1742

I would like a solo option on dungeons. I still havent done all of them, a few bad experiences made me choose other things to do, and I kinda forgot about them. I wouldnt mind some tokens as reward, but I would do without reward at all, just for the stories and to see whats in there.
I have tried to join “story” in LFG, but people still start running like they have stolen their armor, or there is some time limit to it.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Thanks!

Arah explorable solo is possible besides path 1 (and maybe path 4 for some classes?). Of course it’s much more difficult and requires a lot of knowledge on your end, but it’s certainly doable. Path 2 is the one most people solo.

Daddicus.6128

Thanks!

Arah explorable solo is possible besides path 1 (and maybe path 4 for some classes?). Of course it’s much more difficult and requires a lot of knowledge on your end, but it’s certainly doable. Path 2 is the one most people solo.

Thanks for the info!

Actually, I was confused by someone’s earlier post. S/he was talking about the storyline mission being made solo, not the dungeon itself. S/he was proposing to create a “soloable for casual players” of the 8 dungeons. I just mixed them up.

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Meh, what ever your take on grouping is aside. Dungeons are pretty much dead content. At this point making them solo for the story wouldn’t be a problem at all,

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

CIndeR.3479

Oh, I get it. I haven’t done that mission for quite a while, but I have done the dungeon a few times. I didn’t remember a solo mode, but if it’s part of the storyline, that makes sense.

Thanks!

Apologies for not making that clear. But yeah a solo mode was recently created for Arah personal story. What they did there is precisely what I am suggesting they do for the rest of the dungeons as well.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Aren’t the story modes already all soloable?

CIndeR.3479

Aren’t the story modes already all soloable?

No they are not. Perhaps if you are extremely skilled/geared and know the dungeon and all it’s bosses attacks intimately, yes you CAN solo them. That does not put them in the category of “soloable” in the general sense though.

Posted by: Animism.6849

Animism.6849

Thanks!

Thanks for the info!

Actually, I was confused by someone’s earlier post. S/he was talking about the storyline mission being made solo, not the dungeon itself. S/he was proposing to create a “soloable for casual players” of the 8 dungeons. I just mixed them up.

It’s path 3 that most people solo. Path 2 would require exploits at the end. Path 1 requires multiple players for one event. Path 4 is impossible to solo without class changes/exploits → dwayna. (i,e you need someone to wait in the instance to swap class)

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Thanks!

Thanks for the info!

It’s path 3 that most people solo. Path 2 would require exploits at the end. Path 1 requires multiple players for one event. Path 4 is impossible to solo without class changes/exploits -> dwayna. (i,e you need someone to wait in the instance to swap class)

Why… why would you need exploits for p2? Please elaborate because this is not true.