Possible future community event

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

I have to say that I don’t fully understand your concept, but as long as it helps our dungeon community, count me in!
I have nothing better to do in this game anyways >.<

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

If you ask questions about the meta and dungeons, and award prizes for correct answers, won’t all the top players take all the prizes and the more casual players (who this event should be catered towards, since the goal is to promote clarity on certain issues) will be left behind.

Nova [rT]

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Maybe you would have to gear-check the contestants. If they wear berserker, they are excluded from the contest.

(Jest aside, wouldn’t you have to organize EU and NA separately? I’d always show up on the former for moral support)

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Go for it, as long as you’re prepared for the inevitable and overwhelming backlash you’ll receive for saying that your answers are “right”. The anti-meta crowd isn’t exactly famous for their objectiveness or willingness to listen to reason.

You might win a few hearts and minds, but at best you’ll be dealing with a LOT of hatred and anger aimed squarely at you, and at worst it will backfire and you’ll find yourself outnumbered and drowned out by endless chants of ‘gtfo elitist jerk’.

Disclaimer: I’m a cynical prick. I could be completely wrong, but this is what my experiences have shown.

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

Not going to lie, the contest sounds very circle j/3/r/k. What you fail to understand is anyone who plays dungeon content is part of the community. You can’t be selective and kick people out of it just because you don’t like the way they act.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

Make sure, together, we at least in written form let them differentiate between the real community and the extremists.

The extremists, which I assume are the PUG groups that kicks all non zerkers, are part of the community whether you choose to accept it or not.

“Circle —J3rk” is a pejorative slang term referring to a positive feedback loop which occurs when an idea, belief or meme that is already customary within an online community becomes re-iterated and rewarded in a perpetual cycle, giving rise to redundancy, clichés and karma kitten. This phenomenon is typically observed in communities consisting of self-contained forums devoted to specific interests, beliefs or subcultures.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

kitten: master baiting in a group with others. In this case its a group of dungeoneers sitting in LA talking about dungeons and the meta, to an outsider who can not think objectively, we’re just pleasuring ourselves by talking about our ideas.

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

I strongly advise you against this. In my casual guild there were some people interested in learning speedruns, but they all got shut down because there were lots of people who didn’t like “meta” or speed runs. Luckily it was in guild chat so no one called me filthy elitist but I could definitely tell that I was the most hated person at that time.

There is no arguing with logic when people believe stacking stealth/might/swiftness is an exploit.

Tour

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The words you want to preach are good, but going about it the way you describe makes it sound and feel like a thinly veiled propaganda campaign: especially the quiz. It’s a bit too obvious and people don’t like to feel manipulated.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

But what if the answer is more subjective than simply right or wrong? Or way too many exceptions (like the answer to when is it too late to kick someone from the group).

Non-experienced players who don’t know the answer will possibly tune out when the quiz comes up because they won’t be able to answer it before the experienced players do. And if you limit to new to dungeon players only, you’ll have players who lie because they want the money. And you can’t use AP to separate as there are players who have high AP but haven’t touched dungeons.

And how do you plan to deal with the trolls that come up regardless of what side they play for?