Possibly Unused Fractal

Possibly Unused Fractal

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Link.4607

Link.4607

While playing around earlier today, my lag skyrocketed when I entered Fractals. This has been happening a bit lately, so I’ve just been enjoying it for its exploration perks. I become immune to all fall damage, mobs don’t chase me (because I’m not actually there), traps won’t slow me, and so on.

The first fractal turned out to be the Collosus, which was fortunate, as when the lag kicked in, it seemed the perfect time to explore below the floating island.

I jumped off the side and fell for a surprisingly long time. Hitting an invisible ground, I got up and explored. My map stopped reporting my location properly, so direction was quite hard to figure out (read: impossible). What I like to pretend was West, was the swamp fractal. I hit an invisible wall on my way to it (I was still a few klicks vertical of the swamp, so all I could really see was outlines). Turning left, and continuing in that direction until the next invisible wall lead me to a fractal I haven’t seen before. I took some screenshots before disconnecting completely.

Sadly I didn’t turn off post-processing before disconnecting, so the screenshots aren’t the best possible quality.

Anyone have any guesses as to what it could be? On the left there’s some sort of tower with a bowl cut out of the top… On the right there’s a giant… house type thing. The meshing looks fleshy. Does anyone have any theories? It would be nice to fall down again and explore some more.

As a side note: my lag is zone-exclusive. I was in WvW minutes before, no lag. Then LA, no lag. The instant I zoned into Fractals the lag started. I also had lots of lag in the cursed shore.

Attachments:

Possibly Unused Fractal

Posted by: Undead Shadow.5607

Undead Shadow.5607

only thing i can think of is that hut at the end of the swamp lvl where you either get the huntsman or the tree creature. this might be the huntsman’s cabin or something. its pretty cool you were able to see all of this

Undead Shadow (DragonBrand)

Possibly Unused Fractal

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Unfortunately I cannot make out what’s in the screenshot. Do you have any more?

However, I do know they removed the dev area below and replaced it with a swimmable void (as evident if you try to access the “fractal limbo” from the Dredge Fractal.)

When you try to access other fractals from the “outside” they aren’t completely loaded and thus’ look odd.

Do note much of what’s in this video has been “fixed”/removed, but some stuff remains.

Possibly Unused Fractal

Posted by: Netheren.3261

Netheren.3261

The squarish tower thing is jellyfish, big mound is underwatwe cave.

Underwater fractal maybe?

Possibly Unused Fractal

Posted by: Panzen.4625

Panzen.4625

I think this might be one of the areas I dropped down to once by accident. I made a thread about it back then:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Secret-area-below-Jade-Maw/first#post816924

Possibly Unused Fractal

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

When the fractals were new, one of my first trips to cliffside had me find an “area” I wasn’t supposed to be in.

I had goofed up and fallen off one of the ledges, proceeded to just keep falling, fall through the world, keep falling through nothing, then finally land out in a flat rocky field (no fall damage when I finally hit ground).

I was able to look up and actually see the island (cliffside) where I had fallen from, way up in the sky. I roamed around on the rocky field for a while, there were some mountains scattered amongst it that I couldn’t go up. It was our first fractal of the run so after a few minutes we just did a fractal reset and started over.

Whether that area I was in was something incompleted that’ll be used in the future or not, who knows.

Possibly Unused Fractal

Posted by: Renegade.6325

Renegade.6325

Looks very much like the shell for the dredge fractal.

Possibly Unused Fractal

Posted by: Link.4607

Link.4607

only thing i can think of is that hut at the end of the swamp lvl where you either get the huntsman or the tree creature. this might be the huntsman’s cabin or something. its pretty cool you were able to see all of this

I considered that, but the walk felt too far for it to be more of the swamp world. The textures also look much too big to be his house. Scale is really hard to see without a moving picture. That big box also didn’t really fit in with the Swamp fractal…
——————————————
I’m not sure how to reply to more than one comment at once. =(

It might be the dredge fractal, but it seems a weird shape for that. The dredge fractal had lots of passages and stuff, whereas this is just one big section… It also doesn’t really explain what that dome/cube thing is (they definitely appear to be on the same map).

Limbo is very cool. They must have added an invisible floor to stop people accessing it (which is what I landed on). However Minion of Vey’s comment makes it sound as though the ‘invisible floor’ is only there in some areas.

Sadly I only took one other screenshot. I was a little distracted describing it to my party on Teamspeak. It’s pretty much the exact same, just looking to the left a bit more. I couldn’t get any closer because of the invisible walls. I’ll head back there now and see if I can repeat it.

Attachments:

Possibly Unused Fractal

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

It is just a sandbox area, there’s tons of stuff out there, some of it may be from unfinished content but most of it is likely just the devs screwing around in the empty space.

Possibly Unused Fractal

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

It looks like a thatched roof cottage. Where are there thatched roofed cottages? If there are any in the current fractals, I guess it would have to be in the urban one. I don’t remember any, though.