Practice Raids and Novices

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Ging.6485

Ging.6485

I ended up heading a practice raid for VG yesterday, that I had just intended to join to help. However, it turned out I was the only one of any experience there. I wanted to try out a new class, but ended up Chronotanking.

There is one thing that I would like anyone who wants to learn raiding to do first though because this was our biggest problem.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, either research the raiding meta build, or at least have a build that does not use gear with toughness on it. It’s impossible to control the fight when you have people running around in 2000+ toughness.

The mechanics of the fight can be worked on and taught rather simply, but being in a poor build, especially in one that is filled with useless stats, is a huge liability to the success of the encounter. This isn’t elitism, this is groundwork, the very minimum that has been expected for dungeons, much less raids, since anyone had any semblance of how things worked for this game.

tl;dr – Toughness and Vitality are for PvP / WvW. You do not need them in PvE. Try to avoid them for PvE content, especially raids.

Posted by: Chaos.5072

Chaos.5072

9 times out of 10 “training run” means “I want a free carry”

Posted by: Joxer.6024

Joxer.6024

Was that you in our run Ging? Ended up being our Chrono tank as the Necro that wanted to try had no clue at all and then we had huge issues with toughness, someone had like 1500?!!
If not then I too experienced your same pain and yea, I get “training” and “noob” runs but knowing at least the basics is a must. I tend to agree with Chaos in that lots of folks are looking for carries. Sadly I think that’s what happens with many a pug and also why Pugs are becoming more strict than your own Guild runs!

Ging.6485

The thing about raids is, they have a pretty high skill requirement in comparison to the rest of the game.

What you have though with some new players looking into raiding is that they neither have a build that fills a certain role optimally, nor the skill/knowledge to fill that role.

Acquiring the Skill and Knowledge is what the training runs are for. However, without a good build, and I am talking about all exotics as acceptable here (just the right ones), you are dually handicapped. You are basically stepping into college level math prepared for middle school English.

The gear and the build though is easy enough to research and get before hand. It saves everyone a lot of trouble and will allow each and every player to get more mileage for their time.

That’s why as a courtesy to everyone I ask that new players looking into raids at least do some research about what type of build/gear they should use and an idea of what the encounter entails. That way you can focus on earning some useful experience.

“If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” – Isaac Newton

(edited by Ging.6485)

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

I joined training raids a lot with intention to help. last week the team has issues with toughness too. and most people join training team with no knowledge what is raids about. I don’t know perhaps in the LFG system interface, there should be a warning pop up to inform players, they should do extensive research and study on each boss raid mechanics before trying to join the game. because it isn’t about failing, its about people not caring about putting effort into the game and with raids, if the team isn’t exp, one person can make the team struggle a lot a lot.

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Ging.6485

I joined training raids a lot with intention to help. last week the team has issues with toughness too. and most people join training team with no knowledge what is raids about. I don’t know perhaps in the LFG system interface, there should be a warning pop up to inform players, they should do extensive research and study on each boss raid mechanics before trying to join the game. because it isn’t about failing, its about people not caring about putting effort into the game and with raids, if the team isn’t exp, one person can make the team struggle a lot a lot.

It doesn’t really even have to be extensive research. Checking a Dulfy guide, looking up a build on metabattle.com, watching a video of the fight to get an idea about what to expect. That is all I really ask for. It can take about 15 minutes.

Basically, I am asking potential students to just take a glance at some prerequisites before joining the class.

Once they learn how to do the fight adequately with a proven formula, they can experiment or go join EXP groups (by lying about insights if necessary). I am just placing this here, because it will save EVERYONE time and stress learning the fight. The biggest problem I just happened to have is people using toughness gear who don’t have to.

Posted by: Jman.1975

Jman.1975

My guild tried to do practice runs in LFG, but basically every time it turned in to a “free carry run” and a bad experience with everyone joining fresh and new at raiding which is fine but the main issue was they were using bad builds that did not not help the party and actually made the fight harder and sometimes when we asked them if they could change gear they would get incredibly insulted, so we just stopped.

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

well a few of us want to play together since day one. also trying to help people getting into raids, I really find it difficult esp when the person do not care. they want to be part of raid but do not care to spend enough effort eg to learn the build, to fix their gear and etc. so, after 6 months or so, we decided to stop doing it and pug our way. I still occasionally join training group after I get all my boss kill on Monday after reset. but I noticed those who doesn’t care, have no idea that they are ruining other’s experience in raiding.

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia