Proposal: Making worldbosses less lame

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

So, like, dungeons are dead and kitten, right? Good riddance. All the new content is zerg content, Anet obviously doesn’t care about small-group stuff outside of that lame Fractals update they did a while back that made everything 100x dumber. So let’s make the world bosses and things that people actually like better, with instanced world boss encounters.

The way I see it, most content that lets you pre-make your group comp is going to be balanced for the average pug and thus be braindead easy for an organized group (most regular dungeons) or balanced for an organized group and be inaccessible to pugs (higher-level fractals and Aetherpath). Anet obviously hates dealing with balancing that kitten which is why all the broken stuff in dungeons is still broken, and instead we get events where you zerg at a big flower and hit it and get a big pile of money after 30 minutes of semi-afk. And of course that kitten needs to be easy too, because with 100 people zerging a boss, individual contribution means squat and kitten is gonna be impossible with the average pug zerg otherwise (see: Triple Trouble or Teq). So now I go to Vinewrath in full Celestial gear and AFK with mesmer greatsword cause honestly it doesn’t matter at all if I tryhard, and if I die big whoop, 1% of the zerg’s DPS lost.

I suggest that new world content be balanced into instanced, 20-man fights:

- You get thrown into an instance with your current party, plus 3 other parties. That lets you ensure that at least 5 people are competent.
- The fight should be balanced so that it is challenging for a competent 5-man group, but not impossible. This means that at minimum, it isn’t impossible to beat a boss so long as you can get a good group together (unlike Triple Trouble which is basically impossible with a pug zerg).
- Because the boss will have enough health to tank 20 attackers for a decent amount of time, going full kitten on DPS isn’t going to be ideal, since you can’t control what 75% of the group is going to be bringing for DPS.
- Bosses all have extra high armor and reduced duration on conditions. This is an easy fix to making condition damage output from a zerg not crappy, although there’s plenty of other ways it could be done too I guess.

So yeah this game is garbage lol.

Posted by: Lytalm.5673

Lytalm.5673

There is other game mode else then World Boss.

But I guess you are the garbage player to categorize this complex game with only 1 feature.

Les Pirates du Styx [xQcx]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

There is other game mode else then World Boss.

But I guess you are the garbage player to categorize this complex game with only 1 feature.

:D Funny stuff right here.

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Can you guys stop dissing on guang? I mean you forum heroes seem to forget the contribution he had to the game pve-wise.
Dps guardian instead of that stupid “anchor”? Staff ele? Countless other builds?

On topic: He is right. The main problem with open world content is that because it’s open world it has to be balanced around the average nomad staff guard casual. Making every properly geared/traited person useless in the countless sea of randoms. Instanced content would take care of that by letting one pick who he/she teams up with.

This would open up the posibility of actually challenging content instead of the “well our playerbase is bad so we have to make easy open world content”.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Please don’t think I was dissing on guang, I was laughing at the dissing on guang calling him a world boss focused player >.<

I actually like the idea.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Oh man, haven’t seen you on here in a while Guang. They might be building raids with HoT and that might be as close as you’ll come to something like this. Did you see the twitch stream? They said they designed a dragon boss in HoT open world for 5 people. Could be interesting if there is some way to restrict who gets access.

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

I’d enjoy it if I could do it with just my 5 man party and no 15 other pugs.

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

World bosses are lame indeed, yet average people seem to be failing hard at every encounter. Who cares about dodging or using blocks at Jormag? 95% of the zerg gets hit every time he uses his clearly telegraphed 5 seconds delayed attack. Inquest golem and Shatterer? Let’s cheeze it and range him from the noob hill, right?
I would reaaally like to see some challenging world bosses. But first, I would like to be able to fight them alone and prevent some random noobs from upscaling their health while they hug the floor constantly. 20 men is too much, I would say normal party size is max. And maybe some extra achievements/rewards/any encouragement for completing it solo.

I mean… what you suggest seems really nice in theory, but if I just imagine I had to rely on 19 random people to successfully complete it, I probably wouldn’t even bother trying.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

The greatest challenge in fighting most world bosses? Lag. Many of the noobs you see dying over and over again are quite likely chugging along with a 50% or higher decrease in frame rate, and are content just to get enough damage done to ensure some loot. Even on my slightly aged mid-range gaming PC there’s nothing ‘clearly telegraphed’ at this point, the experience is not enjoyable at all. Any new challenges ought to be instanced.

(edited by Jahroots.6791)

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Let’s be real here for a second. The ‘noobs’ are all afk. I mean who can blame em? Zerg encounters are mindless. Just hit auto attack and get up and do something else for ten minutes. Who honestly wants to sit through a fight that will take the same amount of time no matter what they do? Far better to shrug your shoulders and do something else.

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

I guess you might be right, but that applies for ~1% of the people. Lag doesn’t cause you to summon discipline banner on non-crittable bosses and it doesn’t make you unable to use waypoint. There is a difference between person, who “just has lag” and another dead weight which keeps spamming say and map chat with “plz help” “plz res” instead of using WP.
I used to enjoy world bosses and did them for fun, not caring about what other people do, but after you run through them a million times, you really start to notice minor things and try to do improvements. Pretty much what dungeons currently are. That’s why I like the idea of doing them with select few who won’t be weighing us down but actually contributing with their effort.

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

The idea is that allowing you to premake the entire party actually makes it really hard to balance the encounters. Either you have 5 nerds in full ascended coordinating on VoIP to stunlock the boss with Icebow and other silly kitten, or you have some near-impossible fight that 95% of pugs wipe on instantly and consequently never attempt. Lupicus is a good example of this, he’s pretty braindead easy with a competent group but do it with a pug and you’ll find yourself soloing half the time, and the other half the time some pug will live to phase 3 and you get bubbled and die.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be 20 but I think that’s a good number. Since you can still enter with a party of 5 (which is capable of clearing the encounter on its own, if necessary) it’s not totally random, but most fights will remain moderately challenging because you’re probably going to get at least some bads in the other parties entering the instance. On the other hand it won’t be full-kitten “sit in the map with your entire guild two hours in advance so you can guarantee everyone there is good when it starts” kitten like Teq or Triple Trouble are now, because it should ideally still be doable even with 20 pugs.

And yeah, I don’t blame the AFKers. When I do Mk2 I usually hit it a few times, let myself get launched off the platform, then AFK/die until he’s close to dead then run back up and hit him a few more times. The overall DPS loss for myself not contributing is minimal and I have no control over what other people are doing so it’s not like I have a ton of incentive to tryhard. Typical kittenty world boss design, even though some of them actually have sorta interesting mechanics (the Silverwastes bosses do some funny stuff).

Posted by: madSimon.7283

madSimon.7283

Let’s be real here for a second. The ‘noobs’ are all afk.

I doubt the “noobs” are afk. We’re actually fighting, even if we have no idea what we’re doing and aren’t contributing much.

I’m not jaded/bored enough to just afk yet.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

They’re no longer interested in making content where the challenge requires people to understand their class and know their skills.

Their new idea of “challenging” is organizational: can you herd randoms so that they stand in the correct places at the correct times while pressing 1. It’s been like this for a long time… look at all the new open world content we’ve seen: Tequatl, marionette, SW.

Expect this to continue into HoT.