Pug Roulette: Week One

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Hey guys! Katana requested we start a weekly thread so that newcomers to the crowd could get a Taste of the awesomeness that is the funniest player fails thread.

Please post your gold posts of the week. In the end, one of the posters with the largest flood control will choose their favorite.

Please keep things constructive so we don’t get this shut down

These can only be game fails, we can maybe start a forum fails on a different website, LOL.

Go!

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

I’m not really new and i haven’t pugged (the majority of my group)in a long time. If i don’t find people for X dungeon, i just duo/trio arah or AC instead and sell/give away the other spots for other friendlies to leech, but here’s one.

About an hour ago me and xsquared wanted to duo arah, but we got godawful skill delay(about 2-3 seconds of lag every 5-8 seconds or so, we play from EU on US servers) which made the game almost unplayable. Had to dodge attacks before the animation even happened. Virtually impossible, but since i can almost fight lupi blindfolded on my warrior, we still managed to get lupi down to <50% in the 2 attempts we did, then we put up an LFG, got 1 random guard and lightning from DnT joined, finished the rest of the run like on a regular speedrun.

I’m going to take a break of gw2 until this horrendously bulldoggie lag gets fixed.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Context: Sorrow’s Embrace Path 1
Party: 1 pug (guardian) + 4 premades
Failure : 8/10 pugstars

pug: lol nubs why u kill the eletric fences u just jump around them
we: well? show us the way master
pug uses leap of faith into lava pit

pug final statements: “lag”

(edited by Quickfoot Katana.8642)

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

LFG says: “CoF p1 p2 need dps!”

Me as Mesmer joins 4 warriors. Awesome, this will be fast. Pull slave driver to wall… And someone with longbow draws him off. All 4 wars to bleeding, but I solo the driver and finish it. Great start. Also seen: sword/war horn, but not axes. V. sad. Rest of the run went about as you could expect, including an excellent “glitch” which prevented one of the warriors from running the magma field in p2. And of course, the Mesmers OP light armor helps me be the only one that doesn’t down in the magg defense run.

Unnnghhhhhh…

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Did fractals again in the 20’s. Had a member being unable to get past the platform you jump down to at Maw due to agony killing him. Was quite hilarious to watch him repeatedly attempt it during the entire fight.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

It wasn’t a pug, but almost.

We were 4 Guildmates and we wanted to run fractal level 38. We check in the guild list and see one of the new guys. Don’t really know him, but he got 5K AP so i ask him to join. He say he’s level 8 in fractal, but he’s a good player so he will join anyway. We can 4 man the fractal so why not teach him the hard way ; ). So we ask him to go in mumble so we can explain how it work and organize more quickly with him. He say that he don’t know mumble and anyway he don’t need it we can explain before going in. At this point we just agree to teach him a little lesson and let him join anyway.

Long story short we basically 4 man the fractal (swamp, snowblind, dredge, May Trin), with no problem at all. Our new friend? He was completely naked by the end of Dredge and ask that we forget him for the level 39.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

(edited by Thaddeus.4891)

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Can I be a judge?

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Lilith Ajit.6173

Can I be a judge?

Yes. You and/or colesy

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Context: Sorrow’s Embrace Path 1
Party: 1 pug (guardian) + 4 premades
Failure : 8/10 pugstars

pug: lol nubs why u kill the eletric fences u just jump around them
we: well? show us the way master
pug uses leap of faith into lava pit

pug final statements: “lag”

i don’t even believe this is real, haha.

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

I made a zerker party for AC with my buddy : " 80 zerker\melee only . In the middle of therun , the warrior asked the guardian what armor he was wearing because it looked cool . Guardian pings gear , its full cleric . I say , why joining a zerker group in clerics. Guardian says: lol u wouldnt even notice if I didnt ping. Me: omg I wish there was an \inspect . Guard: no , cleric guardian is overpowered but people like you dont know about it. Me : crying in a corner.

Posted by: Anierna.6918

Anierna.6918

I’m on my ele & grouped with a friend on his war, and I post under the AC tab: “all paths, READ: zerk meta builds only, no necro/engi/ranger. ping gear. stack Kholer.” Bit of a round robin for the first 5 mins; bunch of sub-80s join, KICK! Couple rangers/engis join (pugs don’t read -.-), but I give them a chance and ask about their builds. Not in meta; KICK! Finally, after the first 5 mins, we’re at a pug ele and 2x pug wars, who’ve pinged proper gear. The ele pinged s/d and said he used LH, and I wasn’t gonna quibble over s/f instead, so I relogged mes, assuming that since ele pinged proper gear and weps, he’d know how to use them. We start with p1; first boss, no FGS. Even worse, no Might. Turns out the pug did use s/d and LH, just like he said….. used them by immediately summoning the LH and never giving any Might. /facepalm

So next part, burrows. Pug ele knows enough to give us an ice bow. Whew, at least he did that right. I pick it up, go to the far burrow in the corner, use 4. What does the ele do? … follow me, and use 4 on the exact same burrow. I ask him why he used it on my burrow, instead of a different one. He says his 4 attack never 1-shots the burrows. So he assumed mine wouldn’t either, and came to help preemptively -.-

So, next part: Kholer. Me and the wars stack behind the left pillar. The ele runs around the edge to skip Kholer. I type at him to get back here and stack on us. Then, since this ele isn’t too bright, I walk him through which attacks to use to prestack Might for us. Typing 1-by-1 what attacks to use results in him only using 2x blasts before his fire field expires. Luckily, wars have banner summoned and stomped (I’ve found pug wars to generally be pretty good). Pug ele then thinks something akin to “whew, that difficult might-stacking-thing is over, let’s start the fight,” and he pulls Kholer, before summoning FGS. Goes down instantly, before he gets back to the stack. Luckily he has the sense to mist form back over to us; we res him. I’ve been furiously typing “FGS FGS FGS” at him ever since we finished might stacking. It seems he’s reading chat, so he summons FGS. He uses Fiery Rush; it does nothing because he had Kholer targeted. He then uses the 3 attack, but he misses the corner and ends up whirling through Kholer, into the center of Kholer’s spawn chamber. Kholer runs after him, running out of our stack -.-

Me and the wars have pretty good DPS, so we’re able to unstack and kill Kholer before he wipes us with that pull/AoE thing (I’m telling you, war pugs are far less likely than pugs of other classes to be idiots). I’m just incredibly sick of this ele, so I vote to kick him, and my friend seconds the kick. All 5 of us are kicked from the instance. I ask “what happened?” in party chat; I thought my friend had opened it. He says “I thought you opened it, Ani.” …/fail

Moral of the story: Never pug an ele; if you want it done right, do it yourself. If you’re ever forced to pug, only pug wars.

(edited by Anierna.6918)

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Should be a rule “No text allowed” post videos. I wanna see some of these fails.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Dub.1273

You’re kicking players who’re at least trying to use good builds and are talking in party chat without just messing around? I’d say you deserved it to be kicked.

Aswell as S/D (or especially S/F) suuuucks in AC.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Anierna.6918

Anierna.6918

@ Dub: I was in TS w/ my friend. The pugs weren’t in TS with us, so I had to type. That’s always the downside of pug’ing – no voice coms.

We never kicked anyone who was using a good build, unless you’re referring to that ele….. and after all those fails, he definitely deserved it. I thought we gave him more than enough chances.

I’m wondering why you’d say s/d or s/f sucks in AC. You stack literally every single boss, most of them against a wall. Therefore, s/f is optimal; it allows you to stack more might due to more blasts, then use FGS if the boss is against a wall (Spider, Kholer) and LH if if he isn’t against one (last bosses in p1 and p2). You aren’t killing that many adds in AC, so you don’t need the greater AoE of dagger MH or staff, and you’re using Ice Bow on burrows.

Only thing that me and my friend did wrong was letting the pug open; each of us just assumed the other had opened. lol

(edited by Anierna.6918)

Lilith Ajit.6173

I’d just like to reel this thread back in. I’d like to see posts that are structured like Katana’s. The personal rating, the context are great. Feel free to be as detailed as possible, but I think the judges will have an easier time reading through with that.

Also I don’t really want the thread derailing into optimal builds, there’s a thread for that <333

[ARES]

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

For me it has been completly the opposite with eles. They blast condi remov in AC and use FGS. Im happy to have 2 eles in my group now . I started to hate on guardians more than rangers recently.

The worst groups I ever had were with at least 2 guardians. The typical wvw staff guardian pressing 11111 and “supporting”.

In PvE the best from the worst in my opinion ( pug)

Warrior
Mesmer
Ele
Thief
Guardian
Ranger

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Necromancer in CoF1 group. I originally thought he was trolling but it seemed he believed what he was saying:

He was a minion master siphon pvt necromancer that out damages zerker warriors because his autoattacks hit for 2500 and his minions siphon 80-90 damage. His healing stat made him hit harder. His build was 20/30/20.

He couldn’t believe warriors could get 10kdps… I just went into shock.

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

fractal lv 49, need guard, 50+ AR plz
guard joins
doing mossman
guard gets one shot and dies w/o downed state
we rez him
same crap again
we: guard, what’s your AR?
he links orrian shoulders
me: guard, are you new?
he: i am new to this, but i got this (links orrian shoulders)

i run fractals mostly, overall though i have biggest issues with warriors, they die a lot (ironically), most of them can’t dodge for kitten, if i try to stealth rez them (i play thief) they keep attacking boss unstealthing themself and wasting stealth, they run out refuge too early, they attack enemies when we try to skip mobs, they don’t stack when we ask them to… etc -_-

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

Dub.1273

@ Dub: I was in TS w/ my friend. The pugs weren’t in TS with us, so I had to type. That’s always the downside of pug’ing – no voice coms.

We never kicked anyone who was using a good build, unless you’re referring to that ele….. and after all those fails, he definitely deserved it. I thought we gave him more than enough chances.

I’m wondering why you’d say s/d or s/f sucks in AC. You stack literally every single boss, most of them against a wall. Therefore, s/f is optimal; it allows you to stack more might due to more blasts, then use FGS if the boss is against a wall (Spider, Kholer) and LH if if he isn’t against one (last bosses in p1 and p2). You aren’t killing that many adds in AC, so you don’t need the greater AoE of dagger MH or staff, and you’re using Ice Bow on burrows.

Only thing that me and my friend did wrong was letting the pug open; each of us just assumed the other had opened. lol

Nothing wrong about writing in party chat. As you made it sound, from my point of view the kick wasn’t justified. He didn’t get unfriendly, kindly explained why he used #4 on the same burrow as you and even conjured one without being asked to. Just attacking with LH is far from optimal, but better than you could expect from most pugs. Since he participated in the dungeon to that certain point and didn’t really slow down your group, I do not see the kick justified.

All bosses die within 3 seconds in a 3+ men group. Why would you stack might, wasting more time than needed? If going AC, you should have persisting flames and 25 in air, using Burning Retreat, conjuring FGS and then using rush once, kills pretty much any enemy without losing time stacking might/doing whatever else. Aswell as Meteor Shower and Frozen Ground are probably the strongest skills an elementalist can bring, aside of conjures.

Anyway, back to topic.
I like your fail, Cynz and it would have had high chances to be my choice of the week, if I didn’t already read it in the “funniest player fails thread”.

Dub | [rT]

Lilith Ajit.6173

So far so good, folks!

I propose a challenge for the day:

Pick a dungeon that you can normally finish in 15 minutes or less with a skilled group. Post for a full party on lfg (let’s see a full pug here!) but don’t say “experienced only” or “gear check”. Then run with the party, regardless of comp.

Challenge criteria 1: if the run goes longer than 1 hour you may quit

Challenge criteria 2: coax out all of the bad play how you want statements from the pugs and make note of them.

Challenge criteria 3: extra points is someone, other than you, says “dead dps is no dps”

Go!

Now this is true pug roulette

and may the odds be ever in your favor

[ARES]

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Bigoak.3270

Bigoak.3270

And this helps and promotes the GW2 community how?

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

If I run into anyone I recognise from the forums I’m equipping my staff support trololol gear.

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

I make PUGs waste time:

So one night I decided to PUG arah p3 for fun. I get into a party with 2 warriors and 2 guardians. The 2 warriors and one of the guardians aren’t trash (they’re just PUGs who know how to do the path in their own PUG fashion), one of the guardians is a complete newbie who has never done the path before.

We eventually get to Lupi although nearly everyone dies on the room before by pulling a kittenton of mobs. As anyone who has tried to melee Lupi in ranged PUGs before knows, it’s not a very pleasant experience (either you get kicked from party or get destroyed in phase 2 by single target projectiles), but I go ahead and melee anyway for the hell of it.

So the first time we wipe (I couldn’t solo phase 3 because I’m bad and died to frenzied blast). The second time, the same thing happens and by the end of phase 2 everyone else is dead, so I’m solo meleeing phase 3. Then the party leader says “orcobal don’t fight alone, res people”. I’m not intending to get swiped/domed/life drained so I ignore him.

“reset now or I leave party”, says the evidently-unhappy party leader. Oh no! I continue, heedless of his words. About 30 seconds later I see the Cursed Shore loading screen. I expect to be partyless. But then I see that I’m still in a party – instead of kicking me like the average kitten PUG would have, this party leader left the party and killed the instance instead.

Lilith Ajit.6173

I make PUGs waste time:

So one night I decided to PUG arah p3 for fun. I get into a party with 2 warriors and 2 guardians. The 2 warriors and one of the guardians aren’t trash (they’re just PUGs who know how to do the path in their own PUG fashion), one of the guardians is a complete newbie who has never done the path before.

We eventually get to Lupi although nearly everyone dies on the room before by pulling a kittenton of mobs. As anyone who has tried to melee Lupi in ranged PUGs before knows, it’s not a very pleasant experience (either you get kicked from party or get destroyed in phase 2 by single target projectiles), but I go ahead and melee anyway for the hell of it.

So the first time we wipe (I couldn’t solo phase 3 because I’m bad and died to frenzied blast). The second time, the same thing happens and by the end of phase 2 everyone else is dead, so I’m solo meleeing phase 3. Then the party leader says “orcobal don’t fight alone, res people”. I’m not intending to get swiped/domed/life drained so I ignore him.

“reset now or I leave party”, says the evidently-unhappy party leader. Oh no! I continue, heedless of his words. About 30 seconds later I see the Cursed Shore loading screen. I expect to be partyless. But then I see that I’m still in a party – instead of kicking me like the average kitten PUG would have, this party leader left the party and killed the instance instead.

8/10, hoped for some staff camping.

Hehe

[ARES]

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

4 ele 1 guardian, constant 25 might stacks. Ran CoE and we had our FGS out just melting our good buddy Alpha in a corner.

So the first time we wipe (I couldn’t solo phase 3 because I’m bad and died to frenzied blast). The second time, the same thing happens and by the end of phase 2 everyone else is dead, so I’m solo meleeing phase 3.

sorry that pugs can’t dodge red circles, bring an ele next time? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Swirling_Winds

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

Posted by: LittleLepton.8915

LittleLepton.8915

My thread! It’s back!

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

maxinion.8396

My thread! It’s back!

Yay!

Quickfoot Katana.8642

What kind of sorcery is this?

Posted by: LittleLepton.8915

LittleLepton.8915

CC Danicia is an angel of mercy.

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

Nothing wrong about writing in party chat. As you made it sound, from my point of view the kick wasn’t justified. He didn’t get unfriendly, kindly explained why he used #4 on the same burrow as you and even conjured one without being asked to. Just attacking with LH is far from optimal, but better than you could expect from most pugs. Since he participated in the dungeon to that certain point and didn’t really slow down your group, I do not see the kick justified.

All bosses die within 3 seconds in a 3+ men group. Why would you stack might, wasting more time than needed? If going AC, you should have persisting flames and 25 in air, using Burning Retreat, conjuring FGS and then using rush once, kills pretty much any enemy without losing time stacking might/doing whatever else. Aswell as Meteor Shower and Frozen Ground are probably the strongest skills an elementalist can bring, aside of conjures.

Anyway, back to topic.
I like your fail, Cynz and it would have had high chances to be my choice of the week, if I didn’t already read it in the “funniest player fails thread”.

Far be it from me to disagree, but I have more luck with s/d, Arcane Blast, and the new heal for stacking might with pugs. I know everyone loves s/f, but I can’t dig on it yet, and the air/dagger 4 allows me to be the first at bosses like the Howling king, so I can knock him down and start the might rotation before someone drops an ice field or dark field under him (both are useful, but not as much as 18 stacks of might and a minute of fury).

I do like x/f in fights with a lot of projectiles or where the invul is life-saving, like Lupi, but I typically don’t end up in organized pugs where the longer fire field is useful for others. I did check out the new meta builds by DEKeyz, and I am looking at the traits for changing over, but I am not quite there yet.

Also, staff in ac… I don’t get. I understand the build and the higher DPS by the numbers, but if the only might you can count on is your own, it is better IMHO to be able to generate it faster and more consistently.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Stop derailing the thread

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

Ok I guess I have one, I feel that I must preface this with saying that I’m very against kicking bad pugs even to a fault (probably because I still main engineer)

So was doing fractals 49 the other day with my one guildie on his thief (I was on engineer), and we get started and two eles and a guard join us, first ele comes in wielding a Soro’s (assassin stat) and I think cool whatever, the other guard and ele come in both wielding White Staves (Healing Power primary stat), we completed the whole run (swamp, Cliffside, [cant remember what this was], and maw) guard camped staff or scepter focus almost the whole time…this was made especially bad because I saw him pull out a white ascended sword but (I never saw him use it in combat) /sigh.

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Pug roulette is like Russian roulette except every time that it’s your turn you get shot in the head.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: Erebus.9276

Erebus.9276

Pug roulette is like Russian roulette except every time that it’s your turn you get shot in the head.

Only once in the head to cause brain damage which leads to continued pugging. Subsequent turns you get plugged in the knee, it hurts but can heal in time resulting in even more fun.

Casual Dungeon Thief

Card ~> Thief | Casual Card ~> Mesmer

Posted by: Tentonhammr.7849

Tentonhammr.7849

New forum sig.

Zelendel

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Pug’d Arah p3 and got kicked at final boss @ 1%.

Not only can I not believe that happened, but I can’t believe I’m actually being “that guy” who makes a “QQ got booted” from dungeon post. Has anyone else had experiences like this with fluffythecharr and princessmisery?

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

Hmm fluffy name sounds familiar in lfg but I’ve not played with them before. My friend was kicked from a normal p3 pug run once, I also joined a P2 where the leader and a friend started kicking everyone when brie at 25%, so yep there’s definitely some out there who are doing it.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

The individual in question is/was a wvw’er who speaks in third person and resides on the server of Tarnished Coast. That explains quite enough for me.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Quickfoot Katana.8642

When pugging arah. write down the party member’s names. If they kick you to sell spot, scout the lfg for their name. Found it? Merge the kittening instance so they learn not to pull of that kitten. Next step, whisper them: I hope you learned with your mistakes this time. Don’t kick people to sell their slot.

maxinion.8396

Pug’d Arah p3 and got kicked at final boss @ 1%.

Not only can I not believe that happened, but I can’t believe I’m actually being “that guy” who makes a “QQ got booted” from dungeon post. Has anyone else had experiences like this with fluffythecharr and princessmisery?

Played with the charr once in in AC with no problems, but AC is a bit of a different story. Bummer about lamers~

maxinion.8396

Where: cof p2, advertised by elementalist as “pro speed run”
What: ice bows on all mobs, recast on cool down.

Dat ice bow auto dps.

Bonus points: thief also picks up all bows, guaranteeing even lower party dps!

Redeeming (?) feature: we did get the Eternal Flame down in one round of acolytes, after all our ice bow practice.