Question Longbow ranger dps pve

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I used to think longbow ranger dps sucks. But after the september 9th patch, ranger rapid fire seemed to get a huge boost in dps.

I was reading some ranger dps guide, and the dps rotation now becomes longbow swap sword/axe build. And it’s said this dps rotation is now comparable with other’s profession.

I’m wondering how pure longbow build compares in dps with other pure melee class.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

The thing is with longbow you have to be as far as you can away from the target to get the max amount of dps. This means doing that you sacrifice receiving and giving boons including might stacks. It is not a good idea to go 100% longbow, although I see it all the time.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Are you including bear dps with it?

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

The thing is with longbow you have to be as far as you can away from the target to get the max amount of dps. This means doing that you sacrifice receiving and giving boons including might stacks. It is not a good idea to go 100% longbow, although I see it all the time.

Next crazy thought, full pewpew party for ranged boss.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Ranger Longbow did not get a “huge DPS boost”.

Overall DPS increased about 1-2%. Rangers got BURST added to Rapid Fire which makes it useful OUTSIDE of PvE (WvW, PvP).

The same limitation that made Longbow bad for dungeons before (needing to be at max range) still exists.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I don’t have the math, but in my experience sitting in LB is pretty bad, not a good idea to do unless you need to sit at range for some reason.

The idea with LB becoming viable as I understand it is more about the sword design and rangers as a whole. They’ve pretty much been stuck on sword for max damage. Before the update you’d run in with GS, do your maul, swap to sword and auto the rest of the time and mix in offhand skills. Now with the change, LB has been made to have more burst potential as well as more vuln than GS does. Combine this with the new trait for cripple/chill/immobilized foes giving bonus damage you can use barrage to cause the cripple, burst it out with rapid fire, move into sword and continue attacking maintaining that bonus damage.

So it’s viable in that it’s the superior initial burst now, not that it’s worth consistently camping.

At least that’s how I understand it. Rangers have some crazy burst but it falls off pretty quickly from what I’ve seen.

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

Longbow Auto = 0.5 coefficients/second

Sword Auto = 1.05 coefficients/second

That’s a wrap.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Longbow is only good for a short burst and that initial vuln stacking. Try any dungeons from CoF and above and it goes back to terrible.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

It’s always like this when you go full crazy on theorycrafting. Yes, perhaps going 5-3 longbow and then being stuck in sword works against a mannequin (or 80% of the hp bag bosses that stand there, doing nothing), but in the real world you’d want to keep the sword aa death trap in check. That means either a sword/axe + sword/x to swap to safely, or a gs. Or disabling aa, but it’s a dps loss too… If you ever happened to need a dodge in a sticky situation you’d be forced to swap to longbow and get stuck in a horrible dps weapon for 9 seconds.
Nah, thanks. Lame, uninspired weapon.

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

Swiftpaw plays ranger in dungeons every day and has no trouble staying alive with longbow on swap and doesn’t get stuck on longbow.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I have no trouble staying alive either, but overall… I don’t care. I’m always swapping around.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

I have no issue with this wep setup, tbh I find it’s simple to use and I’m not needing to weapon swap as long as I’m always thinking a step ahead.

I’m not the best ranger but I’m managing this build on my aussie ping fine. The longbow is a great addition and really does make the difference vs the old build. I had quit the class until this new build and am once again enjoying it.

Obviously of course not for everyone as takes some getting used to, but yeh it’s doable for dungeons, not just on paper.

-Swift.

(edited by J Eberle.9312)

Posted by: Crustydog.9825

Crustydog.9825

Many good points in the previous statements – but I think we left out just playing the game when talking dps in PVE.

Hunter’s shot (invisibility for 3 seconds), point blank shot (push back dependent distance from the target), and (as stated before) additional movement curtailment of Barrage have a lot to do with LB playability anywhere. And we all know the pet is taking aggro most of the time on NPCs, so running dungeons and fractals in zerker gear is not really all that stressful.

I prefer skill and finesse over just trying to max out the raw dps – but appreciate the bump for rangers. Besides – I find myself picking up the other players and on several occasions, soloing final boss.

In the end, it usually boils down to how a player prefers to play. A comfortable rotation is a rotation that has been practiced the most – making it the best choice for that player.

(edited by Crustydog.9825)

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

The rotation in the guide is. LB 2 while walking to the boss, LB5, then switch to S/A and stay on it. Never rotate back to LB infight.
Pretty boring gameplay.

J Eberle.9312

The rotation in the guide is. LB 2 while walking to the boss, LB5, then switch to S/A and stay on it. Never rotate back to LB infight.
Pretty boring gameplay.

Start of fight: Place frost spirit. Inventory swap in a torch, place fire field down, swap in a warhorn, blast it, Use Jungle stalker F2 AoE might roar, be sure to reel pet in before it runs in and locks you in combat. Swap in your longbow.

Open with Rampage as One, Signet of the wild, quickening zephire, Jaguar’s F2 Stalk, Barrage, LB 2, swap to sword/Axe. Sword Autos + use path of scars off cooldown. When boss is at like 10% (give or take judging by how fast you party is killing the thing) health swap to LB, use barrage + rapid fire again.

Note to use whirling defence when reflect is required can be quite useful, not as dps increase however. Be sure to let more important cc’s take place if there is no defiance eg. Ele icebow 5, before you start hitting your path of scars on things.

Be aware that you can use your Path of scars and LB 4 to strip defiant so that important cc’s can be applied again.

Bad things are going to hurt you? Serpent’s strike, or if you are really game, hornet’s sting.

The real excitement is running trash with tonics on

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

And u´re still pushing sword 1 97% of the time. Torch FF is usually not needed. Horn can be used.
Axe 4 works only if u don´t fight on a wall, guard reflects do more dmg (so he/she should do it).
RaR is most times not needed too.
LB5 cd is long, most fights are over before it is rdy again.

Old build was more fun, no need to open inventory to swap LB/WH and/or possibel rotation with dagger/axe.

Open inventory to switch weapons before combat is not hard, not challenging, just annoying. And annoying things don´t make fun.

J Eberle.9312

And u´re still pushing sword 1 97% of the time. Torch FF is usually not needed. Horn can be used.
Axe 4 works only if u don´t fight on a wall, guard reflects do more dmg (so he/she should do it).
RaR is most times not needed too.
LB5 cd is long, most fights are over before it is rdy again.

Old build was more fun, no need to open inventory to swap LB/WH and/or possibel rotation with dagger/axe.

Open inventory to switch weapons before combat is not hard, not challenging, just annoying. And annoying things don´t make fun.

97% of the time? so 3% of the time on the LB? O_O

Never claimed the axe offhand reflect was to replace anything, it’s just there for in between things (when required). Common sense dictates for most things that a guardian’s wall or a mesmer’s feedback is what should be relied on first. (Although I do encourage people to give offhand training + sig of the wild + whirling defence a try on lupicus’s aoe.)

Rarely fighting things in walls these days. Fgs nerf and all that.

If your Barrage is still on CD, doesn’t matter because your rapid fire rarely will be, just time it closer to it dying.

Torch fire field is needed depending on your team, I trust again that most people understand when to use it based on party composition and quality of players in said party.

Never said anything was hard, just didn’t want people standing around thinking the rather bare bones rotation you just explained was all there is to it. It’s important to have the details.

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

I enjoy sword aa. It is more engaging than many other skills in gw2.

Posted by: Bloodyhell.8760

Bloodyhell.8760

lb in dungeon is not meant to be used for burst of skill 1, but of skill 2 and 5. skill 2/5 aren’t affected by distance, and skill 5 works good with trait 11 in marksmanship, exactly how skill 1 sword does.
It’s a pretty solid build that grants a reasonable dps

Jerus.4350

I enjoy sword aa. It is more engaging than many other skills in gw2.

Agree with it being engaging, disagree with it being enjoyable

I really wish there was another option that wasn’t such a huge loss. Something between GS and Sword, maybe like a primary dagger or mace that’s half decent.

Tom Yzf.5872

I used to hate it too. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Once you get used to the timing, you can dodge between the aa sucessfully doing the more difficult encounters, once you get there it can really be fun. My only gripe with it now is you can’t max melee.

Jerus.4350

Aye I have gotten a lot better at it, but it still makes me sweat, which isn’t bad. The thing that really annoys me is trash killing, going flying off in another direction if I don’t get a good target tabbed in time can be very frustrating.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Sword AA is really a thang to track down the ever jumping Lyssa. Totally love it. But then when you have to stay at max melee range like with Grawl Shaman boss, it’s next to impossible.

While I agree with Swifty about the proper rotation including Long Bow, I also understand what deSade has been through. Take CoE’s Subject Alpha as an example. It’s frustrating to dodge his attack while being stuck in Long bow. And Lupi… erm… I have never tried Lupi with Long Bow.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

Pretty boring gameplay.

Start of fight: Place frost spirit. Inventory swap in a torch, place fire field down, swap in a warhorn, blast it, Use Jungle stalker F2 AoE might roar, be sure to reel pet in before it runs in and locks you in combat. Swap in your longbow.

Open with Rampage as One, Signet of the wild, quickening zephire, Jaguar’s F2 Stalk, Barrage, LB 2, swap to sword/Axe. Sword Autos + use path of scars off cooldown. When boss is at like 10% (give or take judging by how fast you party is killing the thing) health swap to LB, use barrage + rapid fire again.

Note to use whirling defence when reflect is required can be quite useful, not as dps increase however. Be sure to let more important cc’s take place if there is no defiance eg. Ele icebow 5, before you start hitting your path of scars on things.

Be aware that you can use your Path of scars and LB 4 to strip defiant so that important cc’s can be applied again.

Bad things are going to hurt you? Serpent’s strike, or if you are really game, hornet’s sting.

Ideal you would never need the torch or warhorn cuz you will have two eles in the party and you should never need swiftness when you have Skipping swords (my new name for fgs). Also I HATE that I’m forced to use tonics to manipulate the pets kittenty AI.
Question: Would axe 5 be worth traiting to make bigger if your party doesn’t have a mes or guardian? or would it be better to let a D/F ele do there thing. I know off hands is a must for lupi just to make the kitten ed fight faster.

The Sickest Guild NA

J Eberle.9312

Pretty boring gameplay.

Ideal you would never need the torch or warhorn cuz you will have two eles in the party and you should never need swiftness when you have Skipping swords (my new name for fgs). Also I HATE that I’m forced to use tonics to manipulate the pets kittenty AI.
Question: Would axe 5 be worth traiting to make bigger if your party doesn’t have a mes or guardian? or would it be better to let a D/F ele do there thing. I know off hands is a must for lupi just to make the kitten ed fight faster.

Of course, ideally.
I find I’m doing it alot if I feel like a spot of pugging -.-
As for whirl, for something like Lupi, yes I agree.

For most other things I think you need to think about each situation accordingly. An example off the top of my head where I think it’s worthwhile traiting is CM barnyard boss when your party wants to stack on him and you lack reflects for the adds up the top.

If you wanna leave things up to a focus ele, just think about how long it’s gonna take for the thing that needs reflecting to die and if that focus is going to be enough to cover it all.

Key factors are how tightly people are stacking, how long thing takes to die taking into account your cool downs, and if there’s any other sorts of reflects/absorbs in party eg. focus ele, mes, guard, thief etc.

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

Pretty boring gameplay.

Of course, ideally.
I find I’m doing it alot if I feel like a spot of pugging -.-
As for whirl, for something like Lupi, yes I agree.

For most other things I think you need to think about each situation accordingly. An example off the top of my head where I think it’s worthwhile traiting is CM barnyard boss when your party wants to stack on him and you lack reflects for the adds up the top.

If you wanna leave things up to a focus ele, just think about how long it’s gonna take for the thing that needs reflecting to die and if that focus is going to be enough to cover it all.

Key factors are how tightly people are stacking, how long thing takes to die taking into account your cool downs, and if there’s any other sorts of reflects/absorbs in party eg. focus ele, mes, guard, thief etc.

Nice to know, I rarely pug as well and my friends are too good to have to worry about how much DPS we are doing (that and we usually yolo our way through dungeons XD). I suppose if I’m ever puging TA I would use axe for last boss (I hate pug guards they are just the worst).

The Sickest Guild NA

Tom Yzf.5872

You no longer need axe (reflects) for last boss in ta. They nerfed it to the point where you only need some blinds for UP and a little more blinds for FWD. Unless you’re talking about Aetherpath, then I suppose it could be useful when rezzing.