Question regarding Vale Guardians 5th phase

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Mornil.8031

Mornil.8031

so me and my guild are kinda stuck in the 5th phase of the Vale Guardian.

Problem is that whenever he does is aoe attack and we break his stunbar, he imediatly spawns a new green circle in the old third.

I currently tank with my dragonhunter, here is how I would circle the boss during the 5th phase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv9J7qgxldU (not our gameplay ofc)

They dont seem to have the problem, so i would guess we are slow on breaking his stun bar.

our composition is
2 dragonhunters (1dd, 1 tank)
1 condi berserker
2 reapers (1 dd, 1 condi)
1 mesmer
1 druid
2 tempest (1dd, 1 auramancer)
1 herald

any thoughts what we could do?

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

There is some luck involved with spawns on that boss. It is a matter of your speed still. We rarely see it happen anymore. A couple of things you could try to work on:

1. Have enough CC amongst the people not doing the green circle since those might end up leaving at the worst moment
2. Try to dodge the blue fields right before the CC phase
3. Try to time your pulling even if you have to move into a glowing area for a few secs as the tank
4. Know when and where CC phases happen
5. Don’t panic if the green fields spawn in the old area, have War Banner and Rebound at the ready and of course just healing in general

(edited by Henry.5713)

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Basically the tank has to be really quick and the party has to break his breakbar in like 2 seconds at most.

Posted by: peeterske.9134

peeterske.9134

If the green area has not spawned for a while, and you know the zones are about to change. Move to the next. If you have a druid you should be able to outheal one even if its in a previous zone

Posted by: Bysvyken.6235

Bysvyken.6235

Generally you can take the rule of:
Once you’ve had a green aoe in your current section, take him straight into the other section.

Kite him a small amount, just the other side of the line between the 2 sections so the rest of your party can dps and only the tank is in the lit section. When the next section becomes unlit you can go ahead and pull him to the usual spot

This way if you’ll almost never risk spawning a green AOE in a section that’s about to light up, only a section that will become unlit in time for everyone to get there.

Mornil.8031

as the tank I usally use the boss timer to time the field switch, but it seems he alwas does his aoe, like 10 sec before the field switch, meaning i will take a ton of damage running into the next lit field.
but i guess we could try that.

We also tried that the 4 ppl ran towards the green circle in the lit area, problem is that sometimes we got really bad luck with the circle spawns ( way to far behind or in a seeker spawn) that results in a wipe

Also is it just or is the path finding AI of the Vale guardian really wonky at times?
sometimes he just doesn’t follow the shortest distance to me and runs through 2 lit thirds.
Already checked but theres no one with higher toughness in our raid

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Two things to concentrate here like other said before.

1) CC ASAP. If you take too much time the boss won’t go fast enough, he will stay too long in the last zone before changing.

2) Your tank should go in the next zone in advance. The boss always make some dance move before he follow him, especially when he does a blue AoE attack in the middle of his movement. If the tank wait too much, the boss might still be doing his little dance in the last zone and spawn a circle there. Our tank used to count time in their head to change at the right time, but now they are used to the time and know when to change.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

He was asking the same question in the german forum and got the exact same answers there. -.-

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

I have tank VG for my guild and what I have learned is there is a pattern to when he is just about to CC. I have not done raids for a few weeks but if I remember correctly every 4th blue he will Need to be CC (it could be after every 3rd as said I have not done raid for a few weeks due to collection complete a long time ago). If it is after every 3rd blue, next blue going to be his 4th have your CC guys ready and insta break the bar, at this point the tank should be moving to the other zone.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

The hardest part of the last phase is the transition directly after the 3rd breakbar. This is because in general, the moment his break bar is broken (even if it is done very quickly) the green circle will spawn in the previous area that is about to light up.

Because of this, it is very important to move him to the next zone BEFORE he does his break bar. Specifically, what you should do is the 2nd time you rotate to the Green colored section you should wait for a green circle to spawn, then have the tank immediately move the boss to the lit up blue region. There is several seconds where the tank will take a lot of damage from both the boss and the lit section AoE, however, his movements are inconsistent in this part of the phase (he stops to use blue teleport at a bad time) and this is generally the safest option. The DPS should hang out on the unlit section until he goes into breakbar mode.

The next green circle will after this will also be dangerous, having the potential to be in a bad spot if you don’t move the boss early but is much more manageable.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Imagine the boss has timers on his skills (green circle, red seekers, blue teleport bubbles).

His channel basically prevents him from using these skills, but the cooldowns will still runout thus allowing the boss to cast his skill.

Once you break his breakbar, he regains his ability to cast his other skills. Due to coding and priorities, he will cast the skills as soon as they are ready. Thus you have to have him in the next area before he starts his channel (or be prepared to help your ranged team).

Because of this, it is very important to move him to the next zone BEFORE he does his break bar. Specifically, what you should do is the 2nd time you rotate to the Green colored section you should wait for a green circle to spawn, then have the tank immediately move the boss to the lit up blue region. There is several seconds where the tank will take a lot of damage from both the boss and the lit section AoE, however, his movements are inconsistent in this part of the phase (he stops to use blue teleport at a bad time) and this is generally the safest option. The DPS should hang out on the unlit section until he goes into breakbar mode.

The next green circle will after this will also be dangerous, having the potential to be in a bad spot if you don’t move the boss early but is much more manageable.

This is good advice. Having a ranged team that can take a green circle in a lit area helps too.

If available and your group is on point, use support skills to help the ranged team survive the green circle.

It all boils down to geting the timings right. The old strategy with letting the boss run his breakbar down slowly is obsolete, so in general you’ll want to break it asap to let your tank have the best possible ability to position the boss.

Posted by: randomguy.1283

randomguy.1283

as the tank I usally use the boss timer to time the field switch, but it seems he alwas does his aoe, like 10 sec before the field switch, meaning i will take a ton of damage running into the next lit field.
but i guess we could try that.

We also tried that the 4 ppl ran towards the green circle in the lit area, problem is that sometimes we got really bad luck with the circle spawns ( way to far behind or in a seeker spawn) that results in a wipe

Also is it just or is the path finding AI of the Vale guardian really wonky at times?
sometimes he just doesn’t follow the shortest distance to me and runs through 2 lit thirds.
Already checked but theres no one with higher toughness in our raid

Are warriors ressing people? That will raise their toughness.

Mornil.8031

I’m pretty sure that no one was down, and even then he was running away from the raid

definitely some really helpfull advise of you guys thank you for that
will put it to use in our next raid attempt