Raid Healers: Druid, Tempest, Ventari, or...

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

What are some thoughts on the choices for raid healers.

I’m likely to start putting myself into the role of healing raids – and I have all three of the listed choices as classes I could get ready for the role.

My guild’s members have noted Druid and Tempest, but I’ve seen comments to the effect that Ventari Revenants are also meant for this role… and that has me wondering…

Are all three classes equally or nearly equally viable choices? Am I missing a choice? Is a choice even needed or is the idea of bringing a dedicated healer ‘overstated’?

And how do they compare in terms of what they each bring to the situation?

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Prepare for destruction of your dreams in 3….2….1

Kichwas.7152

My dreams? What dreams? Try to be intelligent and post some information please. Why post if only to reveal that you lack an intelligent thought?

I have no bias or preference in this, just trying to figure out which of these choices is what, when and where, if at all.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Healers aren’t required; however, if your squad is more comfortable with having one and achieves better clear rates due to this (or whatever reason really), go with Druid imo. Reason is they’re offering various DPS increases only they can bring, namely Spirits (they are bugged right now though and prefer to apply their effects to other summons), Spotter, Grace of the Land and probably other things I’m forgetting about.

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Druid has most heal and dps boosts. Both tempest and ventari lack:
- grace of lands dps boost
- glyph of empowerment
- spirits dps boost (currently bugged, but hey, maybe anet will fix it this year)

Tempest and ventari ‘might’ be on equal footing as a druid in regards to heals, but neither Tempest nor ventari can offer those unique dps boosts in addition to it.
Tempest has aura share and fury with it, but that’s already filled by revenants. Ventari… I dont even know a single unique dps boost that could be provided by it.

Posted by: randomguy.1283

randomguy.1283

From my understanding druid is much better than tempest (but tempest is still viable) and ventari revenant is basically no help at all.

A healer is pretty much required for the bosses in the raids, but even a druid in berserker gear can be enough (most people take zealots though)

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

I can’t really see a Ventari Revenant being useful for raids unless you need the projectile block.

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: DutchRiders.2871

DutchRiders.2871

Druid has most heal and dps boosts. Both tempest and ventari lack:
- grace of lands dps boost
- glyph of empowerment
- spirits dps boost (currently bugged, but hey, maybe anet will fix it this year)

Tempest and ventari ‘might’ be on equal footing as a druid in regards to heals, but neither Tempest nor ventari can offer those unique dps boosts in addition to it.
Tempest has aura share and fury with it, but that’s already filled by revenants. Ventari… I dont even know a single unique dps boost that could be provided by it.

Have had positive experience with both druid and tempest healer. Tempest gives more defense, auras, and practical heals. Druids have limited large aoe healing.

Then again I also had positive experience with blasting waterfields on greens and not using a healer or tank.

Bottemline alot of specs and set ups work just fine, you just need a chill group who puts a little thought in the encounter.

Posted by: Snowball.3497

Snowball.3497

Hey,
First off, here’s some videos of tempest healer in action.
Raid VG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2xJZHT8NGY
Raid Gorseval: http://www.twitch.tv/particlar/v/27489306

Comparing tempest to druid, I’d say that both are really viable and have different niches. Druid has better burst heals (say heavy heals for 10s) and better party wide offensive support.
Ele has better personal damage, way better party wide defensive support (prot -40%, frost aura -10%, vigor) and better sustained heals (higher HPS, healing per second).

The end result will probably favour druid in more skilled groups since the offensive support easily outweights the ele’s superior personal damage.

Particlar – Desolation – [Hs]
World First Wurm KillRaid Sells on Twitch
Origin of Diboof

Posted by: Oh My God.8423

Oh My God.8423

I myself have a Druid and Ventari and I have been investigating, testing and generally asking around for opinions regarding their effectiveness in being a healer.

First and foremost, however, is that, unlike other MMO, neither of the healers can provide constant stream of healing non-stop. That is to say there will be down time between each healing session. So the debate about which is the best healer usually comes down to: who can heal most during each session, how readily available of each healing session, how long is each session, and what else a healer can do outside the healing session.

Outside CA, a Druid can use Staff 1, 2 and 3, Healing Spring and traited Glyphs to maintain a basic level of healing as well as regen. It is more like a top-up than an “emergency rescues”, which appears to be the most sought after feature of Druid. Note that the current stage of Staff 1 is so fiddly to use and I personally hate the constant reminder on the screen if you are not targeting at someone within range.

The major heal comes from Celestial Avatar, which only lasts 15 seconds. If you use Glyph of Empowerment during that time, your heals will be rather significant. After that, it will go on a 10 seconds cooldown, during which you have to rebuild your Astral Force again. How to build Astral Force has become a mystery to me these days after the recent changes. From my experience, if you have Natural Healing and Signet of the Wild equipped, you may have a chance of having CA ready as soon as it comes of cooldown. Suffice to say that building towards CA is not as easy as BW3 any more and you have to work for it.

On top of the basic “top-up” heal and the “emergence rescues” heal, Druid also offers DPS buffs in, most commonly, four unique ways: Frost Spirit, Glyph of Empowerment, Grace of the Land and Spotter. The advantage of these four buffs are that they are fire-and-forget buffs, meaning they have very low maintenance and will be running at the background freeing you to do other things meanwhile.

Of course, there are the pets. They offer various functions but the one that is most important is DPS of course: after all raid is a DPS race against the timer. The reality is that, even though pets DPS may not be that high, they can still contribute some of the damage while the Druid is healing elsewhere.

After all, after you have got over with the frustration of building up and using CA (or perhaps staff as well), you will find that Druid can offer 3 things to a team, namely Heal, Buffs and DPS all in one neat package.

Ventari relies on its tablet, which is a dedicated healing item with a number of healing functions. The basic is that you can have it traited for providing constant stream of regen, which I find it rather useful when combining with Project Tranquility and Ventari’s Will for “top-up” level of healing. But I would advise choosing Tranquil Balance for an extra 20% out-going heal instead. It is because, combining with Invoking Harmony (a bit fiddly for my liking) and Selfless Amplification, and together with Rune of the Monk and Sigil of Transference (a luxury item for the time being, I know), your out-going heal is significantly higher.

Natural Harmony is the “emergency rescues” level heal that is available to Ventari. On a single use, it is nowhere near the burst heal level of a Druid in CA with Glyph of Empowerment on. But you can use Natural Harmony a few times before you run out of energy. Together with the “top-up” heal already running at the background, the total heal output works out more or less close to (or could even be equal to) a Druid on its burst healing phase although I strong recommend someone runs the number to confirm this.

Staff itself provides two heals as well: Rejuvenating Assault and Renewing Wave, which also remove 2 conditions. Those are also useful heals with short cooldowns. Also, most people often forget about the Ventari’s Elite skill, which also does a reasonable amount of healing and is a blast finisher too. I often use it when I am low on energy and is about to switch Legend. My rationale is that: I am losing the tablet anyway, may as well make the most of it before it disappear.

Druid has the painful hassle of building up Astral Force; Ventari also has its own trouble to deal with, namely energy management. Personally I do not thing it is half as annoying and all-consuming as building up Astral Force. Once you have a good tempo of your heal rotation, you can actually keep going for a while. Besides, switching Legend will guarantee a 50% energy back and it is only on a 10 second cooldown; whereas there is no guarantee a Druid will get its CA ready as soon as it comes off its 10 seconds cooldown. To achieve a 10s CD-15s CA-10s CD-15s CA… cycle requires a lot more work. Good thing is that most of Druid other buffs, and its pets, are fire-and-forget.

Ventari does have a host of offensive buffs as well: Glint. If you really exhausted all your energy in Ventari, just switch to Glint. Glint’s buffs, if properly applied, will last a long while covering your team when Ventari is on cooldown. It is noteworthy that Roiling Mists with Facet of Darkness will give a 40% crit chance instead of the regular 20%. Bolster Fortifications will certainly be helpful in Ventari as well. So overall, Ventari/Glint is no worst off than a Glyph/Spirits/Spotter Druid.

That said, a Ventari does have to work harder for keeping up with its personal DPS contribution though. Druid has a pet that can maintain a basic level of DPS even when the Druid is doing nothing. When a Ventari is not doing anything, it is not contributing even a little damage. So even though Ventari has a easier time healing, offers a plethora of offensive and defensive buffs (could be better than a Druid), it falls short on the DPS department. That said, Revenant does have a good choice of damage dealing weapons – just have to be more pro-active with them.

So, these are my impressions on Druid and Ventari. I will keep testing them because I too love to be a heal/support player and am in the process of finding the right class and setup for myself.

(edited by Oh My God.8423)

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

This sort of discussion mades me really sad….

I waited 3 years and when I actually heard there will be role for healers and tanks in the raids I lost some tears of joy, that I can use my Guardian for the role it is designed for.

Can Guardian be DPS, sure but it was never the best DPS, it was not designed to be one.

It was designed for support, healing and tanking, now look where are we now. In a discussion of tanking/healing for raids, nobody even mentions the name of a guardian and forget about DPS at all, we need Revenants, we need Tempest, we need Chronomancers, we need Druids, we need PS Warriors….

Still nobody needs Guardians, men….

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I waited 3 years and when I actually heard there will be role for healers and tanks in the raids I lost some tears of joy, that I can use my Guardian for the role it is designed for.

Can Guardian be DPS, sure but it was never the best DPS, it was not designed to be one.

It was designed for support, healing and tanking, now look where are we now. In a discussion of tanking/healing for raids, nobody even mentions the name of a guardian and forget about DPS at all, we need Revenants, we need Tempest, we need Chronomancers, we need Druids, we need PS Warriors….

Guardian was never created for traditional healing or tanking. If it gives you any comfort though, we had a Dragonhunter with us yesterday and that went reasonably well.

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

They should fix guard tomes somehow, would be nice to see support from guard in a unique way that other healers cant provide.

But as said above, druid has its niche with its grace of the land trait and utilities that provide raid damage. But its all personal preference between tempest and druid, both works. If a future raid wing has bosses where u take steady raid damage, a tempest could be more ideal.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

As it stands, Druid is the best choice. Easy, efficient, has unique buffs given to it so nobody can replace it. It also covers the “sustain” territory if needed that was said to be Ventari’s playground, doesn’t have to deal with as many choices, management during the fight, doesn’t need to pay as much attention to rotations and all the healing modifier conditions, positioning…

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: tehfoks.5120

tehfoks.5120

Guardian works incredibly well on vale guard and sabetha. Could run it on Gorseval too but probably nor your best option. As for ventari, I’ve had really good results. The heals are plenty enough and with sword/shield you gets some serious dps and an extra heal. That being said, Druid dmg buffs are too good to ignore.

[Agg]ression – Nfn

Posted by: Oh My God.8423

Oh My God.8423

One more thing: I have more fun with a Ventari than a Druid (and I LOVE and main a ranger). Besides, most good heals of a Ventari can go beyond 1200 range; whereas those of the Druid cannot.

People are still learning the mechanic of the Raid. It is good to have someone who have easy access to the “Oh Scheiße!” button. It is a comfort in mind. Once people are more comfortable with Raid, other classes will find their way back.

Kichwas.7152

Well its good to see some thoughts explored out in detail here.

I’ve got all 3 ready at 80. And one Ascended Clerics Staff, plus Ascended Trinkets, to go around between them…

So I’ll have to play around with some builds and see what I can get.

Outside of raiding they have all looked viable – but that’s a whole different scene that doesn’t inform as well.