Raid Tanking Help!

Raid Tanking Help!

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Luclinraider.2317

Luclinraider.2317

I see a lot of people on here saying going full tank is a waste.

Saying that you’re just doing less damage, and could be hybrid, or kite it, making it easier.

Did the raid last night successfully as a full tank. Rocking about 33k Health and 2400 Toughness self buffed.

The other 9 said it was the smoothest the raid has ever gone.

I was so tanky that I could literally just stand there and take the hits non stop, no kiting, no dodging (except the blue tp zones)

This allowed me to keep the bosses literally in 1 spot the whole fight. (except obvious exceptions where you have to move him).

But this skyrocketed DPS due to the fact that the boss wasn’t being kited around and moved all over.

Think a lot of people are having such a hard time with the raid because they are trying to run Tank hybrids, so their tanks cant take the hits like they should be able too.

Try getting a tank who is full tank, it will probably make your raid group more successful.

Remember, you may think you’re not doing any damage because your full tank. But your doubling everyone elses damage because your keeping him in 1 spot….all of that IS your damage. So you’re actually doing the damage of 9 people ;p.

Raid Tanking Help!

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

realistically, you should be able to keep at least vale guardian in one spot with a hybrid tank and a healer. (i assume you’re talking about VG)

when we ran it, I ran a hybrid healer/dps druid, and the tank was a hybrid dps/tank reaper. we had no trouble keeping him still, and were able to put out more dps (not that the tank/healer has to dps, but it makes the encounter easier imo)

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Raid Tanking Help!

Posted by: Ragmon.6350

Ragmon.6350

Heya.

I run a Hybrid Guard/DH (Zerker armor and Nomads trinkets) and I have no problem keeping the boss in one spot, except for blues, the occasional blues on green and if the reds move in and every push-back is on CD.

I went hybrid cause it always felt like the damage was lacking. Otherwise I would love to go with the Full nomads Guard.

PS: Haven’t killed the boss yet, but I’m usually the last one standing.

Raid Tanking Help!

Posted by: pugster.9378

pugster.9378

What tank build/armor/class are you using? Thanks.

Raid Tanking Help!

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

Really depends on what class you’re tanking in I think (though I don’t know all tank classes)

But as a Reaper for example, you can easily go Full Zerker, DPS Build + Toughness Bufffood so you get aggro.

I can easily stay in one spot for as long as mechanics allow me to do so, I have incredible self-sustain, in fact so much that our healer only needs to heal the rest of the raid.
And the best part is, I still put out great DPS
Well, mediocre when Boss >50%, but awesome if he’s below 50% (25k+ Gravedigger-Spam)

I haven’t killed Sabetha yet, but I doubt she’ll be putting out that much more damage

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

Raid Tanking Help!

Posted by: ThyShadowPaladin.9521

ThyShadowPaladin.9521

I run AH hammer guardian in marauder armor, scrapper runes and 1/2 zerk/soldier trinks. Keep him in one spot while doing 8-11k DPS. 1.66k toughness and 19k HP and was able to self-sustain on VG requiring few heals on first 2 phases.The Vale guardian isn’t heavy-hitting enough to warrant all that tough/HP you use. You don’t need all that, but it IS nice.

Raid Tanking Help!

Posted by: LordOtto.2650

LordOtto.2650

Yesterday I had the best experience with my guild, getting to phase 2 at about 5,30 minutes, we got trough phase 2 at about 4 minutes and something, phase 3 was good, but then the blue teleporting things from vale guardian landed on green “lightning circle”, and we failed. I have to mention this happens a lot of time… so sometimes the tank lures the vale guardian away from the team… but often the green circle spawns were he/it wants to…
My only suggestion is to make this change, " green circle should not interfere with the blue teleportation things" … it feels like it is a bug… no mater what you do, you get downed…
Other than that, suggestions, my opinion: DH with traps (cc, and all skills to be traps, even elite, you can do 23k dmg, even 27, full zerk)
Reaper : you can use axe with focus ( lots of dmg, 23k average, and vuln stacking all the time, and you can go green circle with axe; focus has boon strip; full zerk
Greatsword is pretty good to, 22-28k dmg when >50%, it can go up to 32-38k under <50%, I saw it on youtube, the 32-38k; and there is the reaper stage, when health is low, might stacking, and if you put the trait on attack 15% faster when in reaper shroud it has pretty good dmg to)
I’ve played with both professions, this DH build needs lots of concentration, if you do it good, dodges most important, you will die last in raids, you will deal lots of dmg and insane cc. Reaper is better for those who are unsure, yet, about their potential/skills, axe gives very good dps, and support, because you always are at the green circle and while doing huge dmg from there…
I never was blamed for my build if we failed, they’ve said it is pretty ok/good…

Raid Tanking Help!

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

@LordOtto:
You/your group should try to not imediately get into the circle.
Usually you can wait out the blue field. Or if you’re very precise you can even dodge them while staying inside the circle.

As for your Reaper suggestion, I’d go with Dagger/Warhorn and GS
Dagger is the best DPS and provides quite some healing with it’s #2 Skill
Warhorn has a good Stun and a little bit extra DPS.
Focus is only worth it if your team can’t reach 25 Vulnerability (which should never happen with 10 people xD) or you need boon-strip (which shouldn’t be needed either)

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

Raid Tanking Help!

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

You can tank the first boss as a druid healer/tank (my group did it and killed the boss with time to spare).

You can tank the second boss with a chrono tank that literally doesn’t have to dodge the boss despite being 2 cavs pieces away from full zerk.

The reason people suggest going hybrid tanks is because that frees up a slot. Chronomancer doesn’t have as much damage as some of the other classes, but it brings utility. Why not squeeze that into the tank’s build. Druid healer is almost necessary, but why not make that person also a tank. You have to move the boss a little more, but you gain an entirely new DPS class by doing so. Makes things much easier, in my opinion.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

Raid Tanking Help!

Posted by: BlaqkDeath.6702

BlaqkDeath.6702

I tank the as a scrapper in rabid armor, weapons, and Trinkets, and our Druid runs zealot armor/weapons and cleric trinkets. And we are fine on our dps

Arnie