Raid Teams

Raid Teams

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: CaptRazz.7320

CaptRazz.7320

It’s been a week since the release of HoT now. Most people have a good grasp on what the expansion has to offer, and a good working knowledge of at least one of the elite specializations if not several at this point.

This brings us to the topic of this thread: Raids. Yet to be released we only so much about them from BWE 3. Any discussion at this point is mainly speculative and based off of limited knowledge but I still feel is valuable. The big question is, what do I want in a raiding team?

At this point I feel it would be more helpful to list what roles we want/need to fill rather than just listing ten classes off. An easy to see how this works is how the dungeon meta wound up being:

Reflect Utility
Stealth Utility
Might Support
Power DPS
Power DPS

Now these roles eventually were filled by specific classes that were best suited to them. Others however were able to be filled by multiple classes, even though everyone had their own preferences. Raids are new content however, and we only have an idea of what we need for the first encounter, the rest we have no idea. Eventually a similar ‘meta’ for raids will emerge, but for now we are in the dark. Thus far we know we need a few things for the first encounter, mainly:

Power DPS
Condition DPS
Boonstrip Utility
CC utility
And maybe Bunker Support for boss positioning

Im curious to see what everyone else is thinking.

Raid Teams

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

Condi dps = sinister engi hands down
Power dps = Revenant/ Elementalist
Boonstrip = reaper or mesmer, probably mesmer because Chronomancer is OP as hell and alacrity is amazing

cc utility Not sure, but I know rangers are the kings of cc hands down but this can be filled by multiple roles

I’m almost positive we will have to have a PS warrior as well

Raid Teams

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

Sword/torch LB Warrior with the elite spec is higher condi DPS than sinister engi atm, even if bosses don’t stay in the bow F1 fire field for the entire duration

Raid Teams

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Boonstrip = reaper or mesmer, probably mesmer because Chronomancer is OP as hell and alacrity is amazing

cc utility Not sure, but I know rangers are the kings of cc hands down but this can be filled by multiple roles

Agreed with this, except that I’m not sold on ranger for CC…
They have a lot of soft CC, but not much in terms of stuns/dazes/etc. A Scrapper may be a strong choice for this with the right build, but not sure.

And yea, I think PS war points out that you’ll also want a damage support role in the form of a PS war and a druid (Frost Spirit, Spotter, Glyph of Empowerment…).

Consdering that there’s still the 5 target limit, you may even want 2 of these for your group. A ‘perfect’ group may be something like this:

1 – Vipers Engi
2 – Revenant
3 – PS War
4 – Druid
5 – Chronomancer

6 – Vipers Engi
2 – Elementalist (power DPS)
3 – PS War
4 – Druid
6 – Chronomancer

I could see Reaper being put somewhere in there and maybe even Dragonhunter/Guardian, but sadly I think it will be hard to justify a thief as ideal for any role unless there are fights that just require a ton of mobility (as it stands, an engi could probably cover stealth well enough on their own).

Raid Teams

Posted by: Elomite.2396

Elomite.2396

More than 1 healer is just a stupid idea, it’s like since the release of druid people have legitimately forgotten the 3 years you’ve had to rely on your personal heals and given that there will be multiple engineers if they keep doing this toughness bs that role for the druid is getting knocked further and further down. Spotter for 5 people is good, spotter for 3 people and a chronomancer and a druid is not so good and probably not worth it.

1 chronomancer at most, it will require obscure positioning and given that the first boss we seen required a lot of kiting I can hardly see how a chronomancer will target the people with any sort of precision.

Maybe, just maybe anet will realize this whole diversity thing isn’t going to work out and just give us a way to choose who our buffs are going too. I’m still in denial at this point but if they actually split the pve and pvp balance ele should definitely be put back as the number 1 dps, conjures need to be reworked, cantrips need to be reworked, they even suck in pvp. Like why should the light armour class with 10k hp not be the top dps, if staff isn’t usable because the bosses need to be kited then we are going to see a huge skillfloor as d/f ele will be no joke to play, like playing condi engi just feels dirty at this point it’s so kittening broken and way too easy to play. I haven’t even played with the eles elite spec but I’ll assume warhorn is garbage since nothing can really compete with focus anyway and the one things eles needed was not another kittening offhand.

Raid Teams

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

They have a lot of soft CC, but not much in terms of stuns/dazes/etc. A Scrapper may be a strong choice for this with the right build, but not sure.

And yea, I think PS war points out that you’ll also want a damage support role in the form of a PS war and a druid (Frost Spirit, Spotter, Glyph of Empowerment…).

Consdering that there’s still the 5 target limit, you may even want 2 of these for your group. A ‘perfect’ group may be something like this:

1 – Vipers Engi
2 – Revenant
3 – PS War
4 – Druid
5 – Chronomancer

6 – Vipers Engi
2 – Elementalist (power DPS)
3 – PS War
4 – Druid
6 – Chronomancer

I could see Reaper being put somewhere in there and maybe even Dragonhunter/Guardian, but sadly I think it will be hard to justify a thief as ideal for any role unless there are fights that just require a ton of mobility (as it stands, an engi could probably cover stealth well enough on their own).

Well I did say I was unsure about ranger myself just was a thought off the top of my head.

Raid Teams

Posted by: CaptRazz.7320

CaptRazz.7320

Condi dps =

Druid has a lot of dazing options so either could work well. However it may also work that there you don’t have a dedicated person doing a ton, but that everyone has a single skill or utility that can be used when called.

you’ve had to rely on your personal heals

I totally agree with this. I think one of the biggest things we may need to remember is that the first encounter we were given a time limit. Even if your wanting someone to be able to hold aggro, or to throw healing when needed, they still need to be contributing to damage in some way. If everyone dives too far into support there wont be enough DPS to clear the encounter. A lot of times mechanics through your personal heal, relfects, evades, and blocks are what will keep you alive rahter than an actual dedicated healer.

A good ‘tank’ or ‘healer’ for raids will still be doing damage for the group on the side of what may be considered their primary role. Gear will need to reflect this as well. Nomads, trailblazers, and even minstrels gear may seem appealing for a support character to go all out on, but I feel a mixture of gear will better serve the group as a whole.

Its the same with offensive gear. There’s only so much precision you can stack before points are being wasted because your over 100% crit chance with fury. Those extras could then be better placed in power or ferocity as an example. The same should be seen with the defensive stats I feel, and to add back in more offensive ones when needed.

Raid Teams

Posted by: Skoigoth.9238

Skoigoth.9238

Sword/torch LB Warrior with the elite spec is higher condi DPS than sinister engi atm, even if bosses don’t stay in the bow F1 fire field for the entire duration

Are you sure about that? Assuming you build it optimally (ascended Viper’s armor/weapons, Sinister trinkets, good food etc.), how many stacks of burning/bleed can you roughly maintain on a boss?

Raid Teams

bladex.9502

Are you sure about that? Assuming you build it optimally (ascended Viper’s armor/weapons, Sinister trinkets, good food etc.), how many stacks of burning/bleed can you roughly maintain on a boss?

With kitten rotation, pvp stat limits etc (I’m using full sinister with balthazar runes and sigils of smoldering because I didn’t want to spend 10g to buy the vipers amulet, and no condi damage/duration food).
In a PvE situation burns go well over 15k during the 15 second berserk period, and about 5k during the 15 second downtime.
It also has decent bleeds and direct damage.
DPS over a period of 30 seconds is about 15K in an “optimal group” (spotter, 25 might, etc), and over 20K in short fights.

I don’t play condi engi a lot, but from my experience its a lot lower dps than the new warrior elite spec

(edited by bladex.9502)

Raid Teams

Skoigoth.9238

@bladex: Sweet, thank you. Definitely looks interesting! I didn’t give much thought to Berserker until now tbh (only unlocked it for crafting the runes really), but you made me curious. I’ll give it a shot later today for sure =)

Raid Teams

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

Poor necro. All the rerollers are going to go back to Warrior come raids.

Raid Teams

Elomite.2396

Condi engi gets 14k+ burning pretty frequently with much higher bleed damage along with access to confusion and poison. I’m going to unlock berserker to try it out regardless but in your video the bleed stacks were dropping pretty low and given that warrior only has access to burning and bleed you’d think those numbers would be higher. Looks fun regardless.

Raid Teams

bladex.9502

Condi engi gets 14k+ burning pretty frequently with much higher bleed damage along with access to confusion and poison. I’m going to unlock berserker to try it out regardless but in your video the bleed stacks were dropping pretty low and given that warrior only has access to burning and bleed you’d think those numbers would be higher. Looks fun regardless.

My rotation in the video is really bad, if you actually use a proper rotation without smoldering sigils you can easily keep up 4K+ bleeds like the pre-HoT condi warrior.
I just quickly recorded the video on the night the expansion released to show it to a friend.
I would come up with a proper rotation and get vipers gear etc, but I honestly can’t be kitten d logging in anymore, especially now that the Blade and Soul beta is up

Raid Teams

Posted by: Malpractice.7850

Malpractice.7850

My rotation in the video is really bad, if you actually use a proper rotation without smoldering sigils you can easily keep up 4K+ bleeds like the pre-HoT condi warrior.
I just quickly recorded the video on the night the expansion released to show it to a friend.
I would come up with a proper rotation and get vipers gear etc, but I honestly can’t be kitten d logging in anymore, especially now that the Blade and Soul beta is up

Hows that game?

Also, i dont think its as good as the viper engi, unfortunately. Remember, Raid bosses have upwards of 100 million health (IIRC). Your build, while amazing to watch, and stupidly good burst at the beginning, is starting to lose its oomph the longer the video goes on. Likely due to the longer cooldowns you used at the start, and can use again 30-45 seconds after it starts to dwindle.

Engineer doesnt see that drop, ever. They do top-tier DPS, while bringing condi removal (if need be), and bringing 4 types of Condi damage + 20 stacks of vuln.

Raid Teams

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Blade and Soul’s character design is quite…. juvenile. It’s depiction of women seems a bit in bad taste imo. But more power to you if you enjoy that kind of thing.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Raid Teams

Elomite.2396

Just watching it you can tell the game is much better and more fleshed out than gw2 the tower of mushin or however it is called, the things I have heard about it are amazing, requiring complete mastery of your class just to progess in the dungeon. I have also heard some things about the game being completely reliant on the wardrobe system and how they are locking that behind a paywall, extremely limited inventory space and the legendary weapons introduced in the foreign versions are extremely hard to obtain ingame and will require out of pocket money. The game looks amazing but like gw2 it seems to have very little endgame progression and I imagine it will take us quite a while to catch up to the Korean version which seemingly has more content.

Unfortunately black desert seems the same; amazing looking game, open world sandbox, action combat etc but has very little endgame to keep players engrossed in the game. I think guild wars 2 would be a much better game in the hands of a different development studio that kept the same principles about not invalidating progress and keeping the level 80 the pure endgame and pvp equalizer balance but it seems like most studios are still stuck in 2005.

(edited by Elomite.2396)

Raid Teams

bladex.9502

Its an amazing game, the combat is way more dynamic than GW2’s, and the combos require you to use pretty much all your skills instead of just spamming the most damaging one over and over like in GW2 (and summoner pets actually have great AI and you have full control over them, unlike ranger pets in some game…)
The only thing I don’t like about it is the theme its set in, the overly-sexist japanese anime setting which I’m not a fan of at all, but you can just skip all cutscenes and play a normal race, and its not that bad.

The only problem with it atm is that the content isn’t that hard.(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOltINTrrBI), and doesn’t require you to actually use the great counter mechanics the game offers.
I haven’t played most of the max level 6 man dungeons yet tho, but I know the developers said there was gonna be way more challenging content in the future.

And regarding Black Desert, judging black desert by its current state honestly feels a bit weird, the game is still in development and doesn’t even have things like voice acting yet.

(edited by bladex.9502)

Raid Teams

Posted by: Lazy Mesmer.7923

Lazy Mesmer.7923

Wow, that derail XD

Klaev
[PRXM] Praxium

Raid Teams

Dahkeus.8243

More than 1 healer is just a stupid idea, it’s like since the release of druid people have legitimately forgotten the 3 years you’ve had to rely on your personal heals and given that there will be multiple engineers if they keep doing this toughness bs that role for the druid is getting knocked further and further down. Spotter for 5 people is good, spotter for 3 people and a chronomancer and a druid is not so good and probably not worth it.

1 chronomancer at most, it will require obscure positioning and given that the first boss we seen required a lot of kiting I can hardly see how a chronomancer will target the people with any sort of precision.

Maybe, just maybe anet will realize this whole diversity thing isn’t going to work out and just give us a way to choose who our buffs are going too. I’m still in denial at this point but if they actually split the pve and pvp balance ele should definitely be put back as the number 1 dps, conjures need to be reworked, cantrips need to be reworked, they even suck in pvp. Like why should the light armour class with 10k hp not be the top dps, if staff isn’t usable because the bosses need to be kited then we are going to see a huge skillfloor as d/f ele will be no joke to play, like playing condi engi just feels dirty at this point it’s so kittening broken and way too easy to play. I haven’t even played with the eles elite spec but I’ll assume warhorn is garbage since nothing can really compete with focus anyway and the one things eles needed was not another kittening offhand.

Two druids doesn’t necessarily mean two healers. You can have one run a more DPS-focused build or both with a hybrid. The point is to get the damage boost for all 10 people.

Raid Teams

Skoigoth.9238

It frustrates me a bit that a lot of people seem to pigeonhole druid into being a healer and nothing else (ig that is, not so much here on the forums). It offers a great deal more offensive support than regular ranger and nothing prevents you from also using sword/x instead of just camping staff =P

Raid Teams

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

I’d split groups specific to condi and power.

Power Group:
-PS Warrior
-Chrono
-Herald
-Staff Ele
-1 Other (nother staff ele, conjur temp, guardian, or reaper)

Condi Group:
-Condi Druid
-Vip/Sin Engi
-Vip/Sin Engi
(maybe another warrior/chrono depending on how well group buffs work in 10s, otherwise:)
-Nother Vip/Sin Engi
-1 Other (venom thief, burn guard, or vip/sin engi)

Raid Teams

Posted by: Nephar.3746

Nephar.3746

no love for thieves at all?
dont u think a power D/D, Staff or sinister condi can perform a good dps?

Raid Teams

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

I did mention a ven thief as a ‘maybe’ in my bottom party, but overall no. Things that made thiefs awesome in dungeons I dont see being a thing in raids. Mainly stealth. Raw dps isnt really enough. You could maybe take one in the power group too but.. again.. its not my ideal group. People that insist on playing thieves in raids are going to get on my bad side very quickly.

Raid Teams

Posted by: Nephar.3746

Nephar.3746

I did mention a ven thief as a ‘maybe’ in my bottom party, but overall no. Things that made thiefs awesome in dungeons I dont see being a thing in raids. Mainly stealth. Raw dps isnt really enough. You could maybe take one in the power group too but.. again.. its not my ideal group. People that insist on playing thieves in raids are going to get on my bad side very quickly.

i can agree on they are not “ideal” if we want to min/max, and that rly depends on how well devs did their work.. i mean that enrage timer should be large enough to allow every dps-builded profession in, and rerolling should NOT be the way to solve the problem.
i cant agree on your last quote.. i mean it’s not player fault that even when u play well a certain profession it cant keep up in “meters” or utility with others. devs should make it balanced, that’s all.
i would like to test a sinister condi venom share build. can buff others condi builds and got a ton of defiance strip (ofc i dont think can keep up with sinister engi)

Raid Teams

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

I am a little surprised to see that many eles… With moving mobs I don’t see bringing eles a thing. I would stack more Revs and engis tbh

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

Raid Teams

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

They have a lot of soft CC, but not much in terms of stuns/dazes/etc.

Yeah, only a 4s (traited) daze on a 24s cd which also triggers a small heal, a condi cleanse and a 3% dmg/condi boost, a 6s daze (traited) which also triggers a -see above- and is… 6s? cd (you can use it twice easily before leaving form) even though available in astral only, a 2s daze on staff swap which ALSO triggers with astral form just like it were a weapon swap… and point blank shot if you happen to use longbow.
Nvm the wyvern..
Definitely not many ccs I can only melt a fractal boss’ defiance bar in 2 skills. And heal and buff at the same time.
But oh, engineers are extremely strong at ccs too, no doubt. /shrug It’s just fun how people keep stepping on rangers like nothing happened with the recent patches.

(edited by deSade.9437)

Raid Teams

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

Poor necro. All the rerollers are going to go back to Warrior come raids.

Don’t be disheartened by the posts in this. The speculation in this thread is more amusing than it is informative.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Raid Teams

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

I can’t wait to get mah greens and blues and my 3000g per piece legendary stuff!

Raid Teams

Posted by: Theologus.7085

Theologus.7085

We have big problem. Anet say “Ololo, we can’t share boons for 10 people, it’s so powerful-imbalanced-blah-blah-blah”.
Because of this we should go with x2 PS warriors for might and banners, x2 guardians for stability + utility and dps slots. Revenants can provide protection, boonstrip, fury and very high dps and have 2 – not bad idea. Eles – heal, cleanse, blind and strong dps. And last slots – maybe Engis, cuz crazy dps. Also engi can give us not bad stealth duration for possible skips, but i don’t think Anet again make this mistake with instance design.

Sorry for my english, guys. I try.

Raid Teams

Posted by: GrimmR.3541

GrimmR.3541

Love how everyone thinks that ranger is a bad class. In fact it never was.
Good personal dps, a ton of cc, partywide dps buffs, AoE healing, vuln, access to a lot of ultilities due to their pets, etc.
Wake up guys, the days of the old meta are over.

toxic since 2012

Raid Teams

bladex.9502

Love how everyone thinks that ranger is a bad class. In fact it never was.
Good personal dps, a ton of cc, partywide dps buffs, AoE healing, vuln, access to a lot of ultilities due to their pets, etc.
Wake up guys, the days of the old meta are over.

The reason most people think ranger is a bad class is mostly because of the people playing it generally being really bad

Raid Teams

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Necro is good now. Will take a while for people to catch on. I’m certainly still in disbelief.

Raid Teams

Skoigoth.9238

Yes, Necro is definitely in a better spot now. Of course it still has some catch-up to do (most weapons still need work, same for a lot of trait-lines and utilies), but Reaper at least “feels” a lot better in group content than regular Necro did.

Raid Teams

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

So overall consensus is no need for dagger anymore on reaper? Greatsword all the way?

Raid Teams

Skoigoth.9238

I still use it besides GS. Staff doesn’t do very much for you in PvE imo and there is no other good main-hand weapon option X)

Raid Teams

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

So overall consensus is no need for dagger anymore on reaper? Greatsword all the way?

Pretty much.

Although there is the arguement that due to greatsword auto being so slow, any fight which requires you to dodge frequently will favour swapping to dagger every 10 seconds. So you have a more reliable faster auto attack. This only applies to above 50% health when gravedigger cooldown conveniently sits at 8 seconds. So you can get 2 in before swapping to dagger. Below 50% just spam gravedigger, nightfall and wells.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Raid Teams

Elomite.2396

Please show me a ranger fighting lupi or any boss where you need to dodge alot while continually autoattacking with sword, that means no swapping to greatsword unless it’s for the barrage, no cancelling the auto chain and no running away for the chain to reset until that happens and the perfect rng starts align, your forced into condi and the niche encounters that require zerk will be out of the question like dredge since they still haven’t fixed the bug. Sword is still the same deathtrap as launch if you’re not halting your dps by cancelling the chain or waiting on it then your going to get unlucky at one point and get a bad evade frame, they need to seriously rework sword. The utility on all the other weapons is very good though.

I think ranger is fun as hell to play and I really like the idea behind the duelist style of ranger’s melee weapon sets, but outside of condi it’s garbage. I haven’t played druid so I can’t comment on it but apparently it’s op in pvp.

(edited by Elomite.2396)

Raid Teams

Dahkeus.8243

Yea, ranger 1h sword is one of the reasons I quit that profession, even though it was my first char.

However, as frustrating and clunky as that mechanic is, it can still work well in PvE current content.

Raid Teams

Posted by: GrimmR.3541

GrimmR.3541

“outside of condi it’s garbage“ .. which game are you playing ? Play ranger (power) in a good team for a while and then we can keep discussing here!

I mean I am not defending PuG Bearbows etc., but it bothers me that people with no Idea judge a whole class just by the performance of mentioned PuG’s.

The ammount of useless PS wars, no aegis guardians, gs mesmers .. is also tedious. So just stop.

toxic since 2012

Raid Teams

Elomite.2396

I’ve played power and the main thing I was focusing on was not letting the auto attack kill me, it doesn’t feel like that weapon was playtested at all, it just doesn’t work in the game where you’re relying on instant reactions to a boss animation, if you think lupi is going to kick you or autoattack and you’re on the 2nd auto of the chain you now need to stop for a second, stop dpsing him, try to get the evade frame of the 3rd auto or just wait for the chain to reset. Great swords damage is pretty terrible too, which is a shame because the actual weapon skills of the great sword are amazingly useful, I like all the ranger melee weapons because of the built in evades, it makes the class feel like a duelist. But I cannot bear to use sword, it feels like the problem could be fixed within easily by just not locking you in place when you’re in the 3rd chain.

Warrior great sword is just miles ahead and it feels like it synergizes really well with the other weapons, all the skills except from rush performs really well, they can be rotated with actual dodges to have a pretty good evade up time, especially when using an offhand with energy sigil and fast hands.

I haven’t put much time into ranger and I know i’m certainly not good at ranger but what I am trying to say is that sword needs a rework, the auto attack mechanic is not unique in anyway, it’s detrimental to the classes survivability. The classes ranger is competing with do not have this problem and they can focus purely on whatever enemy is trying to kill them, meanwhile the ranger stops dpsing every couple of seconds to reset their chain and they die due to bad rng.

(edited by Elomite.2396)

Raid Teams

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Hows that game?

Also, i dont think its as good as the viper engi, unfortunately. Remember, Raid bosses have upwards of 100 million health (IIRC). Your build, while amazing to watch, and stupidly good burst at the beginning, is starting to lose its oomph the longer the video goes on. Likely due to the longer cooldowns you used at the start, and can use again 30-45 seconds after it starts to dwindle.

Engineer doesnt see that drop, ever. They do top-tier DPS, while bringing condi removal (if need be), and bringing 4 types of Condi damage + 20 stacks of vuln.

What happens if you factor in permanent quickness and alacrity from your friendly neighborhood Chronomancer (that’s 50% increased action speed and skill cooldowns reduced to 60% of normal for reference)?

I know that the engie rotation becomes pretty insane if they try to keep up with the increased rate from alacrity/quickness, and it seems to me that the zerker rotation has potentially a lot to gain from it.

Raid Teams

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Yeah I think Dragonhunter will be mandatory and should have at least 2 per raid. So let’s all keep that in mind when we make the meta for metabattle. Cool? Guys? Guis? Geyesss?

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Raid Teams

bladex.9502

Hows that game?

What happens if you factor in permanent quickness and alacrity from your friendly neighborhood Chronomancer (that’s 50% increased action speed and skill cooldowns reduced to 60% of normal for reference)?

I know that the engie rotation becomes pretty insane if they try to keep up with the increased rate from alacrity/quickness, and it seems to me that the zerker rotation has potentially a lot to gain from it.

Quickness and alacrity just allow you to spam your burst skills more often, increasing your DPS by a ton