Raid Timers lazy way to increase diffuclty

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

If encounters are balanced for variety, they are balanced for easiness. Difficulty and variety are mutually exclusive, get over it.

A well designed encounter focussing on protection, healing and supporting several targets is as challenging as an kill-the boss-enconters. The only difference lies in the group composition and the rotations players have to perform. Points like positioning, coordination and player interaction are still valid.

Wrong, this is blatantly false because you could have ALL of that AND a dps check AT THE SAME TIME. You’re acting like these things are mutually exclusive when they are not.

My response addressed the false statement that variety and difficulty are mutually exclusive.

Yes you can combine an encounter focussing on protection, healing and supporting several targets with a DPS check. You can also combine a kill-the -boss-encounter with an HPS check. Both checks would sieve extreme group compositions. May it be 8-10 minstrel’s in the first example or 8-10 zerkers/vipers in the second. You can add any combination of checks to an encounter as long as at least one group composition can pass all checks. I would like to see a greater variety of check combinations to encourage more variety of group compositions.

It seems many people do not like enrage timers that are not “lore-based” but artificially added. Many people do not have problems with checks that are embedded into the encounter

(edited by Belenwyn.8674)

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

It seems many people do not like enrage timers that are not “lore-based” but artificially added. Many people do not have problems with checks that are embedded into the encounter

VG is slowly absorbing energy from the three pillars and will complete this process after 8mins, kill it before it consumes the energy.

Gorseval is draining souls from the river and will be able to unleash a World Ender which kills every living thing in the Spirit Woods in 6mins.

Sabetha recently overheated her flame thrower equipment torching ghosts and captives, her weapon will be cool enough to unleash her full fury in 9mins.

Done.

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

Sabetha recently overheated her flame thrower equipment torching ghosts and captives, her weapon will be cool enough to unleash her full fury in 9mins.

Done.

Idk, I kind of liked the Sabetha had something on the stove she wanted to cook explanation better. She seems like she’d have to eat a lot.

Posted by: randomguy.1283

randomguy.1283

Timers are a double edged sword.

We need them to improve, because there’s no proper tools in game to help see where you are failing. We need them to keep the fights from being too drawn out.

However, we also need slightly better mechanics to prevent the facetank it till it dies, and the DPS it till its dead approach. Additionally having a more natural enrage, platform dying etc is always cool.

Basically unless we have the right tools in place, raids will always be primitive in design.

i dont get it. lets assume gors + sab dont have a timer:

1. if u need to use 2 updrafts on the first phase of gorseval, there is no tool/timer needed to tell u, ur going to fail. even my 4 years old sister knows: 4/3 < 2

2. sabethas plattform got a healthbar on the event window. if u see sabetha is on 70% and the plattform is on 60%, there is again no need for any kind of timer/tool.

i agree 100% with the OP, timers are a lazy way, BUT i would never want to lose the vg timer. vg is a well designd boss (my opinion), without any kind of skill, that could create an own timer.

As many pointed out correctly, gorseval and sabetha ALREADY GOT non visual enrage timers. even with out the given 7 and 9 minutes u couldnt cheese them. sure there need to be some aprovements:
GORSEVAL:
- spirts (between the phases) sould be immun to imobilize, so u cant stall them forever
SABETHA:
- Plattform “lifebar” need to be rescaled and be designd on: minimum canon shots + 0 heavy bombs = ~10 min
sidefact: u cant place people forever on the canon plattforms, cause they get a sniper debuff. even nomad guards will get killed with a high debuff. + the canons always shots, cause they are invul for the first shots.

In my opinion Gorseval and sabetha are the best examples for a lazy way to implement enragetimers. And be honest people, u all hate the fact, bosses kill u without a reason only cause the time runs out. enrage reminds me on a dev statement pre gw2 release: “u encounter a boss and he will always do his best to kill u”. isnt that against “X mins are over guys, played enough, i got something on stove.”

They’re SOFT enrage timers, they dont just kill you without a reason…

Posted by: steffen.4317

steffen.4317

whats ur point? who cares about if the enrage timer is soft or hard? and sure they do kill u without a reason. its like going to gym and u can only lift 30 kg, but after 8 mins u can lift 90 kg. its nonsense without a reason. why should the bosses hold back the whole time.

The ideas of Coulter.2315 is something i could life with (if this background would be in game). i wouldnt be 100% happy, cause its still (in my opinion) bad implemented. its just so much potential wasted by adding these timers

(edited by steffen.4317)

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Ideally bosses would get weaker over time. So they would be the hardest in the beginning when everyone is at full health and have all skills recharged. Ideally people would get downed and even defeated during the fight unless playing near perfectly but it would be ok because the boss would be weakened too.

In reality bosses start easier so people can make progress and learn mechanics piece by piece.

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

In my opinion Gorseval and sabetha are the best examples for a lazy way to implement enragetimers. And be honest people, u all hate the fact, bosses kill u without a reason only cause the time runs out. enrage reminds me on a dev statement pre gw2 release: “u encounter a boss and he will always do his best to kill u”. isnt that against “X mins are over guys, played enough, i got something on stove.”

So why isn’t Gorseval using “World Eater” all the time? Also this sentence goes against the whole idea behind “phases”.

Btw why is “You have x A’s and every z minutes you lose one A. You die when you have zero A” that much better? All you do is hide the actual timer that would be “x*z”.

Posted by: steffen.4317

steffen.4317

thats correct, i hide the timer into mechanics. depending on the mechanics (example on sabetha) u can stratch the timer by mastering them. in my opinion its a better/smoother way to implement enrage timers. in case of gorseval (the mechanic timer exists) u will allways have the presure, IF u deal the dmg my group is doing and use all 4 Updrafts. after the last updraft the remaining timer on the event can be diffrent (10-50 sec), but gors will not wait with his last “world eater”. U see, in our case, the eventtimer is completly useless and unnecessary.

and maybe gorseval isnt using “world eater” all the time, cause he got cooldown. Same reason, why elementalist dont us Meteorshower all the time (and THATS a lazy excuse )