Raid design and legendary gating

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I’d like to start the topic with this…

http://massivelyop.com/2015/10/22/massively-overthinking-wildstar-guild-wars-2-and-mmo-raiding-in-2015/

I personally don’t mind raids, to a degree, but if it is so exclusive then that’s a problem. As is, players are dropping like flies and bailing on the raid left and right, and this endgame content has only been out for almost 2 weeks. Instead of having the main theme to raiding about having “fun” and wanting players to play raids regularly, most try a couple times and then just don’t care. There should be difficulty and group scaling with matching rewards in raids (fractals and dungeons too) if you plan to have an active raid community in the future. Allowing players to challenge themselves at their pace and comfort level is always better than just cutting customers out of experiencing the game fully. Also, you lack a lot of qol features and options to support raiding. Where are the build templates for newish players and inexperienced raiders? Build savers? Option to toggle large health bars on players so healers can focus on the screen? Personal dps and healing meters to evaluate your characters performance and rotations? I’m sure there are more but you peeps get the gist…

City of heroes did a great job with scaling options. It was well received and quite enjoyable to “baby step” into certain content to learn the mechanics, test builds and improve skill levels while earning rewards in the process. This way players didn’t feel like they were wasting time or excluded from experiencing content at all. Players then became good enough to up challenge levels while enjoying it, and that’s what your vision and goal should be with raids, dungeons and fractals.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Notoriety

About this legendary armor gate exclusive to raids only… If you (devs) do not plan to provide scaling options and wish to carry the wild star “double down” mentality with raids (to your detriment), then I suggest you should offer legendary armor rewards to another area of the game as well.

Remember folks, you want more referrals, gem store sales and players playing your content sooooo…. more options and more inclusive content are always better than less. Also, I guarantee your stats will lead you to these same conclusion, so don’t leave a bitter taste in players mouths for too long.

Good luck

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

If legendary armor is not raid exclusive, what will the pro raiders have left to show off?

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

No, Legendary gives no added bonuses over ascended, if you don’t want to work for legendary then you are not any worse off than before. No support.

Swagger.1459

If legendary armor is not raid exclusive, what will the pro raiders have left to show off?

They can show off their exclusive “raid only” legendary armor(s).

There can be different armor designs for different parts of the game… Don’t be so short sighted.

Swagger.1459

No, Legendary gives no added bonuses over ascended, if you don’t want to work for legendary then you are not any worse off than before. No support.

Legendary “stuff” does provide versatility so that is a boon to the gear rank. Your level of support for this doesn’t matter, something will change over time once the devs gather enough feedback and statistics. I guarantee they are questioning their current design choices as we type, so it will only be a matter of time. Also, a dev could swoop in here and tell me I’m wrong, but that will be temporary “heel digging” and won’t last long.

Edit- Games can offer challenging content, and none of what I said takes that away. You people also have to understand that casuals are the backbone to any video game so content designed to being tightly exclusive, along with a lack of options and qol features like I mentioned, are areas where developers always end up shooting themselves in the foot.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: ChrizZcE.5981

ChrizZcE.5981

Legendary armor will end up being the biggest gold sink in video game history.

I can already see tons of raiders selling raid end bosses in the LFG chat for gold.

The biggest problem in GW2 is that the people that do hard content get almost no rewards and the people that do easy, brainless chest farming for hours everyday get all the coolest gear.

(edited by ChrizZcE.5981)

The one to Rule.2593

Legendary “stuff” does provide versatility so that is a boon to the gear rank. Your level of support for this doesn’t matter, something will change over time once the devs gather enough feedback and statistics. I guarantee they are questioning their current design choices as we type, so it will only be a matter of time. Also, a dev could swoop in here and tell me I’m wrong, but that will be temporary “heel digging” and won’t last long.

Edit- Games can offer challenging content, and none of what I said takes that away. You people also have to understand that casuals are the backbone to any video game so content designed to being tightly exclusive, along with a lack of options and qol features like I mentioned, are areas where developers always end up shooting themselves in the foot.

There is no added gear rank just because you can swap stats, it’s still not practical because you’ll still need to swap runes, Which if running strength runes like many do, is not going to be an option. No ones going to pay 100g every time they need to change out their runes. And quit honestly, i’ve only ever been in maybe 2 situations where i’ve needed to swap stats to anything from zerker. The issues with not being able to get it are simply learn to play issues.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with exclusive content. Look at runescape, they have a variety of certain drops only dropped by certain high level boss monsters that are pretty difficult for anyone not in top end gear. Yet, no one there complains because they understand it’s something to strive for and that not everyone will have them.

If you can’t keep up with the endgame content then don’t do it until you can. Casuals are the backbone sure, but that doesn’t mean 100% of content needs to be tuned to them, at some point you need to think about the veterans and what they want.
Legendaries are simply skins with very limited added utility the stats are exactly the same as ascended and casuals can easily get ascended. If you don’t have ascended then There’s no way you’ll be going for legendary either regardless.

(edited by The one to Rule.2593)

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

They give you quality of life, not an advantage. And really it’s not even a good quality of life. As long as legendary don’t allow you to swap sigil/runes, they are almost useless. Yes from time to time it can be usefull, but I have 5 legendary weapons and never changed the stats on them because it serve no purpose, and I’m not alone.

That said, I agree that Legendary Armor shouldn’t be locked behind Raid only. I’m good with a unique Legendary Skin behind raid, but not that raid are the only way to get legendary armor. We should be able to get a Legendary PvP armor, a Legendary Open World armor and a Legendary WvW armor. Even maybe a Legendary Fractal armor. That way, all type of content have one. Of couse each of those should be equally hard to get, but not lock behind a content that a part of the community just don’t like. This doesn’t really affect me because I love raid, but it’s good for the game in general. I think that they want to introduce a PvP Legendary armor with the leagues, but we didn’t hear much about that and only PvP and Raid isn’t enough, a big portion of the community don’t do either of those 2 content.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Swagger.1459

There is no added gear rank just because you can swap stats, it’s still not practical because you’ll still need to swap runes, Which if running strength runes like many do, is not going to be an option. No ones going to pay 100g every time they need to change out their runes. And quit honestly, i’ve only ever been in maybe 2 situations where i’ve needed to swap stats to anything from zerker. The issues with not being able to get it are simply learn to play issues.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with exclusive content. Look at runescape, they have a variety of certain drops only dropped by certain high level boss monsters that are pretty difficult for anyone not in top end gear. Yet, no one there complains because they understand it’s something to strive for and that not everyone will have them.

If you can’t keep up with the endgame content then don’t do it until you can. Casuals are the backbone sure, but that doesn’t mean 100% of content needs to be tuned to them, at some point you need to think about the veterans and what they want.
Legendaries are simply skins with very limited added utility the stats are exactly the same as ascended and casuals can easily get ascended. If you don’t have ascended then There’s no way you’ll be going for legendary either regardless.

Of course legendaries are practicle… Runes are minor in comparison to the entire gear and food package. Soon enough we will be able to swap out runes and sigils, and we will eventually get ascended and legend dart runes and sigils as well.

The game is pusing toward roles for endgame content, you’ll make more than two builds eventually and legendary gear will be a blessing if you have it.

I’m glad that works for runescape, but it will need to be adjusted here.

What I want are options for all players, nothing of what I said takes that away…

Swagger.1459

They give you quality of life, not an advantage. And really it’s not even a good quality of life. As long as legendary don’t allow you to swap sigil/runes, they are almost useless. Yes from time to time it can be usefull, but I have 5 legendary weapons and never changed the stats on them because it serve no purpose, and I’m not alone.

That said, I agree that Legendary Armor shouldn’t be locked behind Raid only. I’m good with a unique Legendary Skin behind raid, but not that raid are the only way to get legendary armor. We should be able to get a Legendary PvP armor, a Legendary Open World armor and a Legendary WvW armor. Even maybe a Legendary Fractal armor. That way, all type of content have one. Of couse each of those should be equally hard to get, but not lock behind a content that a part of the community just don’t like. This doesn’t really affect me because I love raid, but it’s good for the game in general. I think that they want to introduce a PvP Legendary armor with the leagues, but we didn’t hear much about that and only PvP and Raid isn’t enough, a big portion of the community don’t do either of those 2 content.

Of course I know that.

Yup, that’s the way it should be.

Posted by: Mega Skeleton.8259

Mega Skeleton.8259

Anet will eventually have to come to terms with raids being a portion of content that the majority of players see very little of. IDK the best solution, but scaled down modes missing key rewards like legendary insights seems like an appropriate solution, eventually.

From a cost benefit analysis, they’re going to have to reevaluate eventually, I think. There’s a reason why other games always end up making a casual sort of mode.

Even as someone who’s enjoying raids so far, it seems unfair to the rest of the playerbase if they’re developing a lot of content for a very small portion of the playerbase.

We’ll see.

[EG] is recruiting!

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

There can be different armor designs for different parts of the game… Don’t be so short sighted.

if you have your legendary armor and no ppl to show it at? People are getting more and more negative over raiding, and the gating.

It will be nerfed. HF

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I wouldn’t expect this to be the only set of legendary armor in the game forever, just the first set to be released. There will be more.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Swagger.1459

if you have your legendary armor and no ppl to show it at? People are getting more and more negative over raiding, and the gating.

It will be nerfed. HF

You can show off your armor everywhere you play! You can even rub your raid exclusive legendary stuff in the faces of wvw and spvp players while they kill your character too!

Not nerfed, they will add difficulty, player and reward scaling so don’t worry buddy! You peeps will be able to set the difficulty so high that you top 1% of 1% players will spend 5x the amount of time, that you currently do now, looking for members, filling in replacements and trying to beat up the neeto boss and jumping to green circles over and over and over as over and over until you have to replace half of the 1% of the 1% again!!! :P

The one to Rule.2593

Of course legendaries are practicle… Runes are minor in comparison to the entire gear and food package. Soon enough we will be able to swap out runes and sigils, and we will eventually get ascended and legend dart runes and sigils as well.

The game is pusing toward roles for endgame content, you’ll make more than two builds eventually and legendary gear will be a blessing if you have it.

What I want are options for all players, nothing of what I said takes that away…

I have weapons, never switched the stats once and I can’t even think of a situation where I would ever need to either. You are basing your statement off assumptions about being able to rune swap, and actually rune swapping is far more important because it costs far more, a set of exotic full zero armor is cheaper than a set of strength runes. You obviously don’t need to replace ascended/legendary armor if you want new runes, you just need to replace the runes.

Not once has anet confirmed rune swapping is going to be a thing.

Swagger.1459

I have weapons, never switched the stats once and I can’t even think of a situation where I would ever need to either. You are basing your statement off assumptions about being able to rune swap, and actually rune swapping is far more important because it costs far more, a set of exotic full zero armor is cheaper than a set of strength runes. You obviously don’t need to replace ascended/legendary armor if you want new runes, you just need to replace the runes.

Well, if you don’t use many builds you’d be able to get by without swapping runes and sigils right?

Don’t worry, it’s coming…

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I disagree. We need something that is truly unique in this game, currently Skin Wars 2 is too easy to obtain and win. We have content that cover all types of players. Finally we have an armor, which has the same stat as ascended, that is only gained through hard work. And it should stay like that. Raids in GW2 are challenging, but more forgiving than your average mmorpg. True challenge lies in each individual, their ability to comprehend og adapt. Once you surpass this, half a year from now, raids will be easier.

There is nothing else in this game that is hard, and that other “hard” can be worked around by gold, like Eternity

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I feel with Raids they are addressing multiple issues they had with the game.

1.No real prestige gear – Old legendary weapons could be bought, FOTM weapons were RNG. There wasn’t really anything in the game that meant something other than having a lot of luck or a lot of money.

2.No hardcore end-game means bad PR – I’m willing to bet you there’s a LOT of players that haven’t touched GW2 because of the sorry state its instanced content was in.
With things providing very little challenge I’m willing to bet a lot of players simply passed GW2 and tried something else.
I think they’re trying to address this and maybe find a way to bring these people into the game.

3.No long term goals to polarize the community and force people to improve.
Raids are great because they’re going to be a strong force driving people to get better at the game. It might be just a fraction – but it still will be there.

All that being said – I have no doubt Raids will at one point get nerfed ( and I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they’re not) because the casuals are crying so hard.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Swagger.1459

Exclusive gear can be added to other areas of the game too without detracting from those that like raiding. People who don’t like raiding won’t bang their heads against these walls anyway. But those who do, or are wiling to give it a whirl, have better and more flexible options available that encourage raiding.

You still get your “hard core”, nothing of what I said takes that away. In fact with scaling, you could even set it to be more “hard core” for better rewards…

You still get long term raid goals and challenges…

Nothing about what I suggested was about nerfing, it was about providing options to set difficulty levels per liking or skill level with equivalent rewards to match…

You peeps really need to pay attention to what is being said and asked for.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I would certainly find the OP’s latest clarification to be a better state of affairs than the outright nerf Harper is predicting. What I don’t know is how LFR/heroic raids worked out in WoW as far as the top tier raiders are concerned. Can anyone offer insight on that?

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

Really? You’e never swapped the stats on your weapon, changed out an entire set of armor, etc?

I’m guessing you never play wvw then. And you might want to check the cost of a full set of ascended armor- it’s way more now than a set of strength runes (not that people use those in wvw anyway).

There are other parts of the game that don’t just use zerk faceplant.

Swagger.1459

Zerker only I’m guessing

Posted by: Arenzo.3298

Arenzo.3298

Really? You’e never swapped the stats on your weapon, changed out an entire set of armor, etc?

I’m guessing you never play wvw then. And you might want to check the cost of a full set of ascended armor- it’s way more now than a set of strength runes (not that people use those in wvw anyway).

I wouldn’t, and i know you weren’t talking to me, but i dont enjoy pvp and WvW, well actually i might swap, only if the class is good at Power and condi damage

The one to Rule.2593

Still dont see a reason to go anything but zerk there either, since WVW all u do is run around in zergs capturing empty towers.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Still dont see a reason to go anything but zerk there either, since WVW all u do is run around in zergs capturing empty towers.

Is it really? did you ever hear the word “roaming” in GW2?

OP you have my full support. And unlike me, you write your topics without ragequit attitude so ArenaNet might listen to you and elitist raiders mostly stay away from this topic

Posted by: OneKlicKill.4285

OneKlicKill.4285

…. Instead of having the main theme to raiding about having “fun” and wanting players to play raids regularly, most try a couple times and then just don’t care

Raids have been the most fun I’ve had in gw2 pve since launch. I’ve met more people via vent To mumble chats during raids then I have my entire time in GW2. The difficulty has finally fosters a commen goal for people to work towards and work together. It also finally give exclusive rewards to skill, not farm for the first time in history (I think the mini lama is the only other thing and even then that’s ez to get)

They can add a super gold sink easy to obtain (skillless) legendary armor set like all the other legendary in the game in the future that looks different but for now raiding deserves to get if first since where the ones who are actually needing specific builds and swapping constantly. Let us have one skill based thing in this game don’t kittening ruin it.

Please skill/trait split and give control to the PvP team. Karl is fucking killing us

Swagger.1459

None of my suggestions take that away…

OneKlicKill.4285

Yes, you take away the exclusive skill based rewards. A huge driving factor in keeping the skilled players interested in actually playing, take that away and it becomes very difficult to find groups (probably impossible once everyone’s cleared it once cause now you can just farm it on lower difficulty. Completely removes the reason to participate in higher level raids.

Please skill/trait split and give control to the PvP team. Karl is fucking killing us

Swagger.1459

None of my suggestions take anything away.

I like your quote, we could apply that sentence to raids in their current form.

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

Casuals are the backbone sure, but that doesn’t mean 100% of content needs to be tuned to them, at some point you need to think about the veterans and what they want.

You create content for the people that are paying your bills.

See: All of the PvE related content updates, compared to WvW or PvP.

If you create content for the top 10%, then that leaves 90% of your player-base without anything new to do.

The raid is the only new content since HoT. There’s no definitive date set for LS season 3.

People started leaving GW2 in 2012 because they didn’t see a clear endgame. (Which is what led to the Ascended situation to begin with…)

I, ultimately, don’t care about raids or their rewards. (I mean, I can get the final boss’s mini from the Gem Store if I really wanted.)

Raids haven’t necessarily been an enjoyable experience for all guilds. They should be something that people can bond over, not bicker over who caused the fight to fail.

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

Yes, you take away the exclusive skill based rewards. A huge driving factor in keeping the skilled players interested in actually playing, take that away and it becomes very difficult to find groups (probably impossible once everyone’s cleared it once cause now you can just farm it on lower difficulty. Completely removes the reason to participate in higher level raids.

And here’s the key issue, I think.

Raids aren’t as “fun” as they were promised to be.

I found Fractals pre-HoT to be enjoyable. Rewards were decent. I ran them daily.

Then they nerfed Fractal rewards in the hopes that people would try raids.

If raids were enjoyable, then even the 4g + possible Ascended loot + boss-specific drops should be more than enough to keep people grinding.

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

1.No real prestige gear – Old legendary weapons could be bought, FOTM weapons were RNG. There wasn’t really anything in the game that meant something other than having a lot of luck or a lot of money.

2.No hardcore end-game means bad PR – I’m willing to bet you there’s a LOT of players that haven’t touched GW2 because of the sorry state its instanced content was in.
With things providing very little challenge I’m willing to bet a lot of players simply passed GW2 and tried something else.
I think they’re trying to address this and maybe find a way to bring these people into the game.

Raids are great because they’re going to be a strong force driving people to get better at the game. It might be just a fraction – but it still will be there.

All that being said – I have no doubt Raids will at one point get nerfed ( and I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they’re not) because the casuals are crying so hard.

How is raid a way of getting “better” at the game? All raiders are watching other “boss x killed” videos and find one raid comp that suits their group and go at. That’s not getting “better” at the game, it’s just copy cat, paint by the number procedure to legendary loot.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I found Fractals pre-HoT to be enjoyable. Rewards were decent. I ran them daily.

If raids were enjoyable, then even the 4g + possible Ascended loot + boss-specific drops should be more than enough to keep people grinding.

What is it with raids that isnt enjoyable? Many enjoy them and give reason to log in as one has a challenging goal to work towards, nowhere else in this game u have that (well we have premade spvp..). Raids are forgiving and are super once u beat that boss

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: ironfrodo.7625

ironfrodo.7625

All thoose who are complaining about Raidexclusive Legendaries shud check out miyami

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

don’t you think that players who don’t like raids or just cant do them might have a serious problem paying for content for other people?And that top few % of players who are able to do raids and get that new shinny legendary armour probably arnt the ones reaching for there credit cards and supporting this game.When a new tier of gear is added every one wants it.Anet just done what they said they would never do,invalidate all our hard work and gear.And most of us have not been given any way to get that new must have gear.

(edited by eldrin.6471)

OneKlicKill.4285

Raids are the most enjoyable aspect of the game for many people. Most people who are doing raids would not be playing otherwise.

And they nerfed fractal rewards because they made the lower tiers easy as kitten. And the upper aren’t hard they just failed scaleing difficulty and they already said they would be re adjusting the rewards and fixing the scaleing.

Also people didn’t run fractals for acended. They ran it for the unique skins. They already had acended

People don’t run raids for acended. They run them for the unique skins and legendary. They already have acended.

You’ll get your farm gold legendary with a different skin later. For now do raids or wait.

Just because you don’t enjoy something doesn’t means there should be an ez mode so you can get the rewards others are working hard for.

I don’t enjoy pve open world but I did map completion and farmed karma and other crap for my legendarys.

Sorry skill is finally a factor in obtaining am item. It’s about time

Harper.4173

I would certainly find the OP’s latest clarification to be a better state of affairs than the outright nerf Harper is predicting. What I don’t know is how LFR/heroic raids worked out in WoW as far as the top tier raiders are concerned. Can anyone offer insight on that?

The reason I feel a nerf is coming is this:

Right now we’re on raid one, wing one. Right now most players are raiding on Vale Guardian or the second boss in this Raid. Very few groups have beaten it.

As casual unfriendly it is to Raid casuals are still getting into groups because everybody is so close to the “start” line – and will continue to be close to it for a few months.

Then the problems will start – as more wings and more raids are added the hardcore people that are pushing will move further away and opportunities to attempt Vale Guardian and other early encounters with good groups will dwindle in number.

Harper.4173

How is raid a way of getting “better” at the game? All raiders are watching other “boss x killed” videos and find one raid comp that suits their group and go at. That’s not getting “better” at the game, it’s just copy cat, paint by the number procedure to legendary loot.

You don’t raid much do you? it’s not just about watching what to do – which is incredibly easy.
Watching a party score a kill is the easiest thing in the world – you then have to do it yourself.
It requires you to constantly manage your damage, positioning, dodging, plus whatever mechanics are in play with your current encounter.

Getting the comp right is not where the skill and improvement is.
Getting your damage on point, dodges on point, mastering mechanics is where you improve.

Hard content forces you to improve – before Liadri I had trouble timing my dodges right.
I attempted Liadri about 50 times before I beat her – but now I rarely dodge a time wrong. It’s that kind of improvement the player base could benefit massively from.

As a personal question – have you beaten Vale Guardian?

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Ehh, I love raids and I agree there should be exclusive rewards, exclusive skins and all that stuff… But I see no reason why casual PvErs or WvWers shouldn’t be able to get a different set of legendary armor. They can swap their precious stats, show off their gear that just says they farm a lot, same as legendary weapons or sadly even the fractal backpiece… I mean, why care? It’s about the skins anyway. Slap a different skin on it and raid rewards are just as exclusive as before.

Swagger.1459

Raids are the most enjoyable aspect of the game for many people. Most people who are doing raids would not be playing otherwise.

And they nerfed fractal rewards because they made the lower tiers easy as kitten. And the upper aren’t hard they just failed scaleing difficulty and they already said they would be re adjusting the rewards and fixing the scaleing.

Also people didn’t run fractals for acended. They ran it for the unique skins. They already had acended

People don’t run raids for acended. They run them for the unique skins and legendary. They already have acended.

You’ll get your farm gold legendary with a different skin later. For now do raids or wait.

Just because you don’t enjoy something doesn’t means there should be an ez mode so you can get the rewards others are working hard for.

I don’t enjoy pve open world but I did map completion and farmed karma and other crap for my legendarys.

Sorry skill is finally a factor in obtaining am item. It’s about time

The raid is an enjoyable activity for a very select few groups of players comparatively. The current “raid” players were playing before the raid and they would still be playing even if the raid was not there. Honestly, if instance content was really good here, then those dungeons wouldn’t be effectively closed for dev business. Fractals are weak in design too and built around the agony gimmick.

I tend to measure skill in terms of performance against live players, not memorizing scripted AI encounters off of dulfy and being able to jump to green circles in time…

It’s actually kinda funny, but you are arguing against a qol option that would provide you (and those like you) the ability to “turn up” the difficulty and earn greater rewards, and have a thriving raid community to draw more players from.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

OneKlicKill.4285

No I’m saying that the unique rewards should only be available at the current difficulty

I agree skill is very much pvp my main aspect of the game up until raids (and the insane power creep cause by HoT)

Raids are very much skill based as they are dedication based.

I’m sorry many people are just not skilled enough to do vale. It is skill to properly maximize your damage rotation while dodging blues, getting to greens, avoiding lava, breaking CC knowing when to avoid or knock back sparks.

Now gors I actually think is less skillful but VG mechanically because the randomness doesn’t exist so there’s less to adapt too.

Yeah there are some classes that require significantly less skill and you can tunnel vision on just mechanics but look at mesmer proper dropping and upkeep of alacrity and haste, healers knowing when and who to heal, knock backs not kittening up or being wasted tank properly kiting green circles groups avoiding sparks while keeping up their damage and soaking the lightning.

There’s a lot of skill involved, yes a lot of it is gear, but just having the gear does not make you skilled enough to raid.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

Hello, experienced and skilled gamer here. Just wanted to let everyone know that not everyone wants to herd cats or has that much time to invest in a single sitting, real life and all that. A friendly reminder that while raids are surely more difficult than existing content in this game, the difficulty isn’t the only issue here – accessibility is also a large factor.

I’ve been in the top bracket of raiders in some of the games I’ve played over the years, even debatably the best healer on my server in one of them – I know how to raid. I can safely say that the hardest part of raiding in any of these games, especially in ones with multiple difficulty levels (to get to those higher levels), was getting into a bloody group! The communities were so up their own kittens that they wouldn’t accept newcomers, isolated themselves from the main community, etc. And why wouldn’t they? Raids are designed to be best with a tried and tested, reliable group of highly skilled players who know they can work together. Raids, by design, make it difficult for people to enter if they’re not in with a raiding clan/guild/whatever.

Then there’s time. Being able to put X hours aside in one sitting. For an organised group, getting everyone together at said time. I’m sure that’s not an issue for a lot of people here who have lifestyles that can be built around their gaming schedule. Not everyone can, again effectively locking these people out of the content.

Am I asking for raids to be nerfed? No.
Am I asking for your raid loot for free and no effort on my part, because I can’t reliably dedicate X hours to one sitting every week? No.
Am I asking for people who tag mobs in an event chain zerg to become rich and get the nicest things the game has to offer? No.

I’m asking for a chance, for those of us who can’t participate in the current system, for either:
a) Some kind of rework that allows raids to scale or be broken down into sub-wings or something
or
b) Allow us to obtain comparable rewards via another means of challenging content

It’s all well and good to say that we might get PvP legendary armour or something in the future, but let’s face it – SAB will probably return before that happens. Hell, completing tribulation mode was probably more of a feat than raids – but it could be done in smaller chunks at a time and didn’t require nine other players.

/rant

tl;dr, being unable to invest a large amount of time, be part of a raid-focused group or have luck herding cats in PUGs doesn’t mean a person has no skill.

Swagger.1459

Good post.

Fifteen

Swagger.1459

Even if my reasons are not enough, I guarantee things will change and I can sum it up with these words…

Economy

Legendary Crafting

Gem sales for gold

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Ehh we’ll see. I personally think they’ll bring out legendary armor for open world pve soon enough after the raid armor. Casuals pretty much get everything in this game. It happened to the fractal skins too.

Still not sure why you’re so deadset on getting legendary armor tho. Swapping stats almost never happens since runes are crazy expensive. Heck, I would’ve preferred exclusive raid skins personally. That way I wouldn’t have to farm open world constantly to even make the armor.