Raids and tanking

Raids and tanking

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Ikrekot.8357

Ikrekot.8357

Hello ArenaNet and GW2 community

At the start I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I have played before for 7 years in WoW as tank.

Vale Guardian
Is in good spot but should to hit harder and blue circles be more visible.

Gorseval
First thing about Gorseval is that he is the worst Boss I have ever tanked in my 7 years playing MMOs. His hitbox is terrible. I just staying in place trying to tank him and he move around me all the time like crazy. I have tanked bosses that had higher attack range than hitbox and it is not problem, but when he radomly turn back move few steps and then turn again to attack me or move to my right or left side isn’t good, it is bad. Sometimes when I try to bring him to wall he just randomly stop and use Auto Attack and he shouldn’t if he doesn’t have tank in range.

Sabetha
I would like to see some mechanics for tanks because right now I useless for this boss and no one want me. If someone would say go zerk and do dps I don’t want to. I playing as tank for 7 years never as dps or healer.

Next thing I would like to see is higher damage of bosses. They should hit much more so you need that toughness to reduce dmg. Everyone of them hit like wet noodle.

I see a lot of players staying in front of boss. They are hit for 10-20% hp but should be hitted for 50% of hp or more. They would need to watch for more stuff and increase personal skill.

Most of tanks just use only few items with toughness so they have more only than healer in cleric gear. I would like to see change with tough. Lets say at 1500 tough you get reduce dmg by 10%, at 2000 tough you get 15% (in total 10+15= 25%) next stage 2500 tough 20% (10+15+20=45%). It’s only suggestion.

Add tab to LFG tool for raids. LFR with tank, healer, condi, zerk option for players Looking For Raid and LFM for groups Looking For Members.

Last thing I would change in raids are boons/buffs shared only in party of 5 ppl. It is worst thing. World of Warcraft used same tactic before but they stopped using it because most of guilds stack characters with specyfic buffs. It’s against rule bring player not character. Now most of pugs/guilds need 2 zerks heralds, 2 chrono [best if one is tank(so no one want my reaper tank )], 2 PS warriors. Sharing boons in RAID group with all players will allow for more class diversity.

Sorry For My Bad English.

One by one we will all die.
Reaper Tank

Raids and tanking

Posted by: harold.3526

harold.3526

1 → GW2 doesn’t have a trinity, GW2 don’t need a tank, all players/classes TANK and HEAL and DPS at the same time, they will not increase boss damage because GW2 DONT WANT a hard trinity, GW2 has a soft trinity though.

2 →Vale Guardian Blue circles make a super high volume noise, sometimes i tank without looking for the screen dodging only because of the noise.

3 → Gorseval aggro is not based only on toughness, his aggro is based on toughness when everybody are at the same distance, if someone is farther he get the aggro instantly.

3 → Sabetha don’t requires a tank, sabetha will never require a tank, different bosses have different mechanics that will have different optimal compositions, strategys, classes and gear.

4 → If you only play tank, its probably better to look for another game, there is no real tank on GW2 and never will be.

Chaos | Death And Taxes [DnT]

Raids and tanking

Posted by: Joxer.6024

Joxer.6024

Yuppers, have to agree with Harold on this….this ISN’T WOW. First thing is to get that out of your head else you will go nuts. I too was a tank in WOW since vanilla and yes, this game is a whole different approach to raids.
Not sure how successful its going to be as I have seen many groups just run in and try to just dps the boss down, no strat, not good.
But many have done it and done it well! As a “former” tank you should just apply your expertise at positioning the Boss and things like that. make sure you have a good amount of dps or support and if you want to "tank’, have the highest toughness for that fight.
But PLEASE don’t ask/beg/plead for ANET to make this like WOW. WOW is old, outdated and was a champ in its time but now other games are out there and are doing better!!!

Raids and tanking

Posted by: Ikrekot.8357

Ikrekot.8357

1 -> GW2 doesn’t have a trinity, GW2 don’t need a tank, all players/classes TANK and HEAL and DPS at the same time, they will not increase boss damage because GW2 DONT WANT a hard trinity, GW2 has a soft trinity though.

2 ->Vale Guardian Blue circles make a super high volume noise, sometimes i tank without looking for the screen dodging only because of the noise.

3 -> Gorseval aggro is not based only on toughness, his aggro is based on toughness when everybody are at the same distance, if someone is farther he get the aggro instantly.

3 -> Sabetha don’t requires a tank, sabetha will never require a tank, different bosses have different mechanics that will have different optimal compositions, strategys, classes and gear.

4 -> If you only play tank, its probably better to look for another game, there is no real tank on GW2 and never will be.

2- I don’t play with sounds in game. I like to hear some death metal than in game sounds.

3- He is based on toughness if you are in one edge and boss on the other side he will came to you but he will stop and do auto attacks. Second problem is he turning around like mad when I stay in place without moving even 1 inch. I stay in one place pressing “1” and he move around me.

4- Gonna wait for B&S if it suck at raids and tanking then gonna back to WoW to hardcore raiding.

I only wanted to give suggestion to make this more fun to “tanks” in raids.

One by one we will all die.
Reaper Tank

Raids and tanking

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

I came to this game hoping to tank as well. It doesn’t really exist for the most part. Embrace it, I did. I played Tera for a bit as a lancer. I found it fun and the tanking was well done and always needed.

Raids and tanking

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I came to this game hoping to tank as well. It doesn’t really exist for the most part. Embrace it, I did. I played Tera for a bit as a lancer. I found it fun and the tanking was well done and always needed.

Yes, Tera really nailed tanking. Tanking a “BAM” (boss-like monster) in that game was amazingly fun. No game has ever came as close to making tanking as fun as that game…

It’s such a shame that everything outside of combat mechanics in that game is absolutely horrible.

Raids and tanking

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

2) The VG also turn 180 right before doing the blue attack. A lot of sign, it would be bad if they make it even more visible. It suppose to be hard.

3) He keep aggro on the highest toughness, but he also aggro periodiocally on the player the farther away from him. You need to work around this mostly when you try to drag him to the wall. It’s an added difficulty that need simple teamwork. It’s mostly for when someone get cc or in an egg at the wrong time. It can screw your dps, wall or atls killing. You just need to learn more about his aggro system. I like that it’s different and you need to adapt.

4) Maybe the game isn’t just for you. I tank and love it in gw2. Hated it in Swotor and WoW. It’s just different for different type of player.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Raids and tanking

Posted by: Joxer.6024

Joxer.6024

4) Maybe the game isn’t just for you. I tank and love it in gw2. Hated it in Swotor and WoW. It’s just different for different type of player.

What do you play as a tank? I am struggling between Reaper and Chrono and am keen to find a good fit.

Raids and tanking

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I hope that next bosses will put heavier focus on “tank” and “healer” characters, maybe even require multiple ones (“offs”).

Currently, after initial hype it became obvious that these roles aren’t really needed – at best you bring one of these in progression or to carry people – and we’re back to square one. So the heavily annouced “more options” comes down to basically a choice of being either Berserker’s DPS or Viper’s DPS with one exception for Chronomancers.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Raids and tanking

Posted by: SuinegTsol.1729

SuinegTsol.1729

“tanks” in gw2 are only normal player, who swap out a minimum of dmg for some toughtness to fore the boss to follow them. this is needed at the first two bosses du to then need to be moved at certain areas to solve the mechanically given promlems they offer.
It is just a “gift from devs”, to help players dealing with participants, who are unable to “follow commands” (“now ALL move to point x” in this case).

In the same manner “healer” are just a way to carry bad player-skills, or allow greedy playstyles. With full dmg gear, every class got enought heal to deal with the dot’s and little mistakes.

So the raid is possible to do without a “tank” or “healer”.

I hope it will stay like this.
Otherwise you are even more dependent on having two player with good playstyle and skilllevel. By now it still sucks if ppl fail at basic stuff like dont getting ported at VG. If you need two, who must not fail this the whole fight, the rest of fun would be gone.

Raids and tanking

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Hello ArenaNet and GW2 community

At the start I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I have played before for 7 years in WoW as tank.

Vale Guardian
Is in good spot but should to hit harder and blue circles be more visible.

Gorseval
First thing about Gorseval is that he is the worst Boss I have ever tanked in my 7 years playing MMOs. His hitbox is terrible. I just staying in place trying to tank him and he move around me all the time like crazy. I have tanked bosses that had higher attack range than hitbox and it is not problem, but when he radomly turn back move few steps and then turn again to attack me or move to my right or left side isn’t good, it is bad. Sometimes when I try to bring him to wall he just randomly stop and use Auto Attack and he shouldn’t if he doesn’t have tank in range.

Sabetha
I would like to see some mechanics for tanks because right now I useless for this boss and no one want me. If someone would say go zerk and do dps I don’t want to. I playing as tank for 7 years never as dps or healer.

Next thing I would like to see is higher damage of bosses. They should hit much more so you need that toughness to reduce dmg. Everyone of them hit like wet noodle.

I see a lot of players staying in front of boss. They are hit for 10-20% hp but should be hitted for 50% of hp or more. They would need to watch for more stuff and increase personal skill.

Most of tanks just use only few items with toughness so they have more only than healer in cleric gear. I would like to see change with tough. Lets say at 1500 tough you get reduce dmg by 10%, at 2000 tough you get 15% (in total 10+15= 25%) next stage 2500 tough 20% (10+15+20=45%). It’s only suggestion.

Add tab to LFG tool for raids. LFR with tank, healer, condi, zerk option for players Looking For Raid and LFM for groups Looking For Members.

Last thing I would change in raids are boons/buffs shared only in party of 5 ppl. It is worst thing. World of Warcraft used same tactic before but they stopped using it because most of guilds stack characters with specyfic buffs. It’s against rule bring player not character. Now most of pugs/guilds need 2 zerks heralds, 2 chrono [best if one is tank(so no one want my reaper tank )], 2 PS warriors. Sharing boons in RAID group with all players will allow for more class diversity.

Sorry For My Bad English.

How about no.
You have tanking in 2/3 boss fights – sabetha is fine as is it is.

Damage reduction suggestion is also very bad – I’m sure someone will explain why.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

(edited by Harper.4173)

Raids and tanking

Harper.4173

1 -> GW2 doesn’t have a trinity, GW2 don’t need a tank, all players/classes TANK and HEAL and DPS at the same time, they will not increase boss damage because GW2 DONT WANT a hard trinity, GW2 has a soft trinity though.

2 ->Vale Guardian Blue circles make a super high volume noise, sometimes i tank without looking for the screen dodging only because of the noise.

3 -> Gorseval aggro is not based only on toughness, his aggro is based on toughness when everybody are at the same distance, if someone is farther he get the aggro instantly.

3 -> Sabetha don’t requires a tank, sabetha will never require a tank, different bosses have different mechanics that will have different optimal compositions, strategys, classes and gear.

4 -> If you only play tank, its probably better to look for another game, there is no real tank on GW2 and never will be.

2- I don’t play with sounds in game. I like to hear some death metal than in game sounds.

3- He is based on toughness if you are in one edge and boss on the other side he will came to you but he will stop and do auto attacks. Second problem is he turning around like mad when I stay in place without moving even 1 inch. I stay in one place pressing “1” and he move around me.

4- Gonna wait for B&S if it suck at raids and tanking then gonna back to WoW to hardcore raiding.

I only wanted to give suggestion to make this more fun to “tanks” in raids.

2. – can be easily fixed if you stop listening to death metal and listen to the in-game sounds. See how easy that was?

4. It sounds to me you want to make GW2’s raids more like wow – when you have wow there to satisfy your craving for a wow-like tank experience. Why not go there if you enjoy that so much?

Raids and tanking

Harper.4173

I hope that next bosses will put heavier focus on “tank” and “healer” characters, maybe even require multiple ones (“offs”).

Currently, after initial hype it became obvious that these roles aren’t really needed – at best you bring one of these in progression or to carry people – and we’re back to square one. So the heavily annouced “more options” comes down to basically a choice of being either Berserker’s DPS or Viper’s DPS with one exception for Chronomancers.

Aren’t all encounters based on bringing the minimal ammount of tank/healer?
Also why exactly would we put more focus on them? The majority of players want to play DPS – so raid encounters should bring a majority of DPS spots with a tank and a healer for those people who want to play tank and healer imo.

Raids and tanking

Posted by: Templar.3418

Templar.3418

Eh yeah man I understand the feels.

My tank like Guardian had a place in the raid up until goreseval.

After dealing with the VG you more or less become useless as a tank.

Best to go in with a set of zerker and a nomads amulet handy for when you need to switch up for the next boss.

The same build wont get you through the whole raid without slowing the team down I’m afraid.

I get that this game is trying to be different but the problem is it does not do being different well.

Not to mention even light/medium armored classes can tank. So there is no real meaning in going heavy armor.

Bosses really should hit harder to fix this.

Wow really does do raiding better. But hey it’s only the first raid to come out in Gw2 so w/e. Still time to fix them.

Raids and tanking

Posted by: Ragmon.6350

Ragmon.6350

1 – There is no need for a trinity cause Anet did not create content or mechanics for it. But there are skills and gear for the trinity archetypes.

I wonder what would happen if Anet implemented content that required moderate or heavy defensive builds.

2 – I don’t know about the noise, but I know that VG turns a lot before dropping the blue AOEs.

3 – The problem OP is stating that Gors has a problem with turning and moving due to its large hit box and reach. Gors moves around the tank at the same speed as normal sized character would, Gorse being huge, he moves insanely fast.

4 – Sadly I have to agree, there is no need for Full Tanks in GW2. Its all about the mindless damage spam.

I would agree with the No Trinity plan, but then the AI must be smart, not the “GW2 brain-dead AI” kind. We would need content that rewards movement, coordination, using skills at the right time, content that requires gear other then Berserker or Sinister (or their 4 stat equivalents, viper and marauder).

In closing, I agree with OP, play-styles other than “damage dealer” (or “DPS”, cause reasons) are not supported by the content, even to there are skills and gear for them.

Raids and tanking

Posted by: harold.3526

harold.3526

3→ He is based on toughness if you are in one edge and boss on the other side he will came to you but he will stop and do auto attacks. Second problem is he turning around like mad when I stay in place without moving even 1 inch. I stay in one place pressing “1” and he move around me.

If anyone do go far away this person will instantly get the aggro, he is moving because there are people further away from the boss than you.

Chaos | Death And Taxes [DnT]

Raids and tanking

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

What do you play as a tank? I am struggling between Reaper and Chrono and am keen to find a good fit.

Chronomancer is the best IMO for VG. You are suppose to have 1 DPS party which focus on the boss and that way you combine the 2 weakess dps of this party the tank and the chronomancer into one, while keeping their advantage (tanking and buffing). This increase your dps speed by a lot.

Otherwise, Guardian is easier and still very solid. The perma protection and the cc is great there.

Engineer is probably the best tank imo for Gorseval, but it’s mostly because he can range so less dps lost and Slick Shoes which is OP. Another tank can do the job at Gorseval if you can replace the CC the Engineer bring.

I never tried Necromancer, but it seem solid. Similar dps than Tank Engineer, but easier to survive and to dps on a Necro from what I saw.

There is also more exotic tank like Condi Warrior, which can tank with a super high dps. I guess you could probably tank in most profession.

As far as tanking in general in GW2. It’s fine like it is. All 3 fight are differents. 2 need tank, that doesn’t mean that the whole game should need them. Sabether doesn’t need tank and IMO it’s the best fight of the raid. I hope they don’t decide in advantage to put a tank or no. It’s not the composition that make a raid boss fun, it’s the mechanics. They just need to think of good mechanics and build the fight around those. The better if they can mix things up as much as possible.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

(edited by Thaddeus.4891)