Raids discussion

Raids discussion

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com/game/raids/

Looks like they took a good direction with raids. I’m actually hyped for them.

- Sounds like they’re serious about making it challenge the combat system
- Reusing the Dynamic Event system means they’ll be able to maintain and build them more easily
- Specifically mentioned that new Raids will be coming in future LS releases

Sounds like they got the message we’ve been yelling since forever, lol. Hopefully there’ll be more dev posts, too.

Article is up: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/raids-in-guild-wars-2/

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Raids discussion

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Raid Exclusive Legendary Armor. Nuff said.

Raids discussion

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I don’t have any excitement but I’ll play nonetheless. I think this announcement was long overdue, as usual… after enough time passes things just become less interesting I guess.

Either way I have the expansion so I’ll be trying it out.

Raids discussion

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Too much hype building catch phrases.

Snow Crows [SC]

Raids discussion

Posted by: Card.9704

Card.9704

How many healers will we need?!

Raids discussion

Posted by: Element Two.7316

Element Two.7316

I’m certain it’s gonna suck, much like most of the rest of the expansion so far.

Raids discussion

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I’m fairly hyped. I hope we’ll be able to solo-trio them

Raids discussion

Posted by: dominik.9721

dominik.9721

Aetherpath 2.0 with 10 people ,I promise you :>

Grimkram [sS]

Raids discussion

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/13306Pylon-Minions-590x331.jpg

Cool picture of one of the raid encounter

And they have a dedicated space to it, sounds promising!

http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com/game/raids/

(edited by Quickfoot Katana.8642)

Raids discussion

Posted by: koen.4729

koen.4729

Nothing wrong with that, as long as the rewards are appropriate. A little bit more enthusiasm and/or optimism would be nice too, this forum is starting to turn into a negativity hub The past doesn’t necessarily have to be a guideline for the future (directing at lack of attention for dungeons and PvE in general, hopefully that’s about to change with these weekly updates).

[qT] Quantify – http://qtfy.enjin.com/

Raids discussion

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

I think my only issue with aetherpath is that you needed physical bodies for the grid panels in order to open the door to the last boss (otherwise the entire thing could be soloed).

IMHO the difficulty of the raid SHOULD be tuned for 10 people but it should be possible to do the content undermanned.

Raids discussion

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

this forum is starting to turn into a negativity hub

Implying it hasn’t been all along?

In all seriousness tho Adid, think about how long we’ve been waiting for these announcements. While the expansion certainly will be worth playing for most of us, does what we’ve seen really justify them taking almost a full year just to tell us about the raids?

To me it doesn’t.

Raids discussion

Posted by: Element Two.7316

Element Two.7316

A little bit more enthusiasm and/or optimism would be nice too, this forum is starting to turn into a negativity hub

Yea, possibly because we’ve been playing the game for 3 years.

Raids discussion

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

In all seriousness tho Adid, think about how long we’ve been waiting for these announcements. While the expansion certainly will be worth playing for most of us, does what we’ve seen really justify them taking almost a full year just to tell us about the raids?

To me it doesn’t.

i guess they didnt really know what they will call it and creating high quality raid content takes months so… i can understand them but wish they would have told us earlier it will be instanced at least.

[qT] Quantify

Raids discussion

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I really felt they haven’t announced anything, and the trailer is even more disappointing. I guess it need to be played to be judged properly, but I was still hoping for more informations than just “10-man content”, “masteries will be useful” and “3 path in a near future, more to come”.

Raids discussion

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

I really felt they haven’t announced anything, and the trailer is even more disappointing. I guess it need to be played to be judged properly, but I was still hoping for more informations than just “10-man content”, “masteries will be useful” and “3 path in a near future, more to come”.

check the mechanic where the group has to split, like half of the raid is attacking the boss to get some extra dps done, and the other half is attacking the wall or w/e it is so the raid can escape before the big nuke hits. this mechanic alone tells you alot about their raid encounter design and you can imagine what the content has to offer.

[qT] Quantify

Raids discussion

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Well, he also went into a description of the direction they want to take it, and the difficulty they’d like it to have. It sounded good to me.

I see what you’re saying though. Gotta take it with a grain of salt, we’ve heard similar promises before.

Raids discussion

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

The article, at least, is just kinda’ “all the things I heard about dungeons during release version 2.0.” And the website’s sending me to the end of season 2 HoT teaser/ Play GW2 for free announcement videos.

Don’t suppose there’s a link floating around to a recording of their raid talk proper?

Raids discussion

Quickfoot Katana.8642

The link of that HOT teaser was probably a placeholder and they havent replaced it yet on the website

Raids discussion

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

I see nothing wrong with this. Mechanic heavy instances are what we need in this game.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Raids discussion

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

To me it doesn’t.

While I don’t agree with it their policy does have some merit to it. They don’t talk until it’s done. And to be fair look at the things they’ve talked about before finishing them, precursor crafting and Fractal Leaderboards for instance. They never heard the end of it.

It’d be nice if they would post their intentions but they’d receive a ton of negativity if it wasn’t released shortly thereafter, so if it sits on the backburner while they deal with higher priority items then take a few months to create it and eventually a year has gone by… well… again precursor crafting and fractal leaderboards, both apparently coming with HoT iirc.

Of course I’m down with negativity but I think I’m sick right now or something.

Raids discussion

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I see nothing wrong with this. Mechanic heavy instances are what we need in this game.

Problem with Aetherblade IMO aside from obvious cutscene and reward stuff is that the puzzles are just more annoying than fun. I look at Arah orbs and some of the fractal stuff and those are fun, I look at aetherblade and just… ugh.

But, yeah the idea as a whole is sound, mechanic heavy instances are great, I just am not a big fan of Aetherblade.

Raids discussion

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Ahhh, Dulfy to the rescue:
https://youtu.be/veJMHxgUGxM?t=6m2s

Raids discussion

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Bring the professions you love to play into our raids. They take advantage of our innovative, fluid combat roles, so you can tackle the content with parties of any composition.

Yeah, right.

Necromancers and rangers have been rotting in neglect and prejudice for over 3 years, mesmers have been little more than portal bots, with balance changes (more like small tweaks) coming every 6 months. No fix to pets/minions/illusions being murdered by AoE. No meaningful changes to class utility for ranger and necromancer.

Not even serious attempts at DPS balancing across classes, with vast gaps in performance between classes in DPS. Just pvp 1v1 based balancing, nerfing already weak PvE specs.

And they expect us to believe they’ll successfully sustain raids when they can’t even get Wildstar/FFXIV levels of class DPS balance?

Who will be the dedicated raid design and class balance team to support PvE? Will they get quietly dismissed like Robert Hrouda and leave raids bugged and unfinished for years like all our current dungeons and fractals?

I’ll stick to FFXIV/Wildstar raids until I see meaningful steps to support instanced PvE players instead of constantly spitting in their face with balance changes solely geared for pvp.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Raids discussion

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

It will probably be similar to current dungeons, but with 10 players. 10 zerk specs at melee range and the boss dies in less than 10s. Gw2 is known for making easy content to target the most casual player base.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

Raids discussion

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

How many healers will we need?!

FIVE cleric guards! also I cant wait to try raids.

The Sickest Guild NA

Raids discussion

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I actually hope this is the case.

The reason most people dont do Aetherpath isn’t because it isn’t fun or it’s too hard – it’s because it takes too long compared to the other dungeons.

To me, Aetherpath takes the right approach when it comes to difficulty. It isn’t about how much damage you can put out, but rather about how well your group coordinates. If raid bosses/encounters are designed in that same fashion (which they seem to be based on what was said), I think we will enjoy them.

Raids discussion

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

kitten , that’s dumb

Raids discussion

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

inb4 no ranger/necro.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Raids discussion

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

LF9M (inser raid name here) 80 zerk exp- no necros

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

Raids discussion

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Were offensive condition mobs mentioned or hinted?

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Raids discussion

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I’m really excited for this; they got a lot of things right.

There are a number of details that aren’t confirmed yet, but hopefully we’ll see some of that information soonish. For instance, I’m really curious if a wipe will kick everyone out of the instance; I hope so! I also hope that it’s hard enough. ANet isn’t used to balancing things this difficult, so I really hope they err on the side of extreme difficulty and have it completely crush players repeatedly when they first try it.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Raids discussion

Posted by: perry.9645

perry.9645

If they make Vampiric Aura and Spotter apply to 10 people, Ranger and Necro will have a almost guaranteed spot in Raids and even if not people can still play what they like :P

Raids discussion

Sagat.3285

If they make Vampiric Aura and Spotter apply to 10 people, Ranger and Necro will have a almost guaranteed spot in Raids and even if not people can still play what they like :P

Unless they bring condition mobs I’m not sure what’s the point of necro.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Raids discussion

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Calling it now, well before we know anything.

There will be one encounter where you will need to have your warrior put on a hammer in the off-set to have enough CCs to break the defiance bar to stop the boss from killing your raid in one shot.

Aside from that, it’s really on the devs to provide encounters that make full damage literally not optimal in some fights, like unavoidable damage that just barely downs you if you are full berserker for instance or other such concepts. …Upon further reflection that would be a silly concept as it would be the difference of a single piece of gear, but my point stands that perhaps some encounters could be made where you need a bit more toughness or vitality to endure endless damage pressure which can’t be mitigated by blinds or reflects or blocks.

I believe that is what was hinted with the ‘Colin’ talk where every profession can provide their own incentive to bringing them along.

…Though I agree with Perry, poor necros/rangers.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Raids discussion

Posted by: VenomousEX.4012

VenomousEX.4012

inb4 selling 4 spots raid#1 50g each

Raids discussion

Silverkey.2078

Necro have a high survivability even in a full zerker setup. So while everyone will be forced to switch to soldier armor, necro in valkyrie will destroy everything.

Raids discussion

Sagat.3285

Necro have a high survivability even in a full zerker setup. So while everyone will be forced to switch to soldier armor, necro in valkyrie will destroy everything.

Just adapt your trait,utilities for it no need to bring another class. It’s not like HP is better than actual mitigation and no one will switch to soldier if he’s dps focus especially with 10 players. Condition mobs would have directly guaranteed necro and rev don’t get left out.

The Dhuumfire thread

Raids discussion

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Anyone who’s done mai trin knows very well that necro is not a more survivable class than another class who can heal their HP to full and can do so often.

Necro heals per second is absolute garbage, and since shroud is a DPS loss arguing that life force substitutes for heals is a really bad argument since other classes heal up without gimping their DPS.

This is even more apparent with water field blasting, which won’t heal a necro in death shroud. And you can bet your kitten that water fields will be quite a staple of raiding.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Raids discussion

Sagat.3285

Anyone who’s done mai trin knows very well that necro is not a more survivable class than another class who can heal their HP to full and can do so often.

Necro heals per second is absolute garbage, and since shroud is a DPS loss arguing that life force substitutes for heals is a really bad argument since other classes heal up without gimping their DPS.

This is even more apparent with water field blasting, which won’t heal a necro in death shroud.

Dev: Necro is selfish!! It’s working as intended!!
Players: Isn’t the game team oriented??

The Dhuumfire thread

Raids discussion

Silverkey.2078

This is even more apparent with water field blasting, which won’t heal a necro in death shroud.

That is a flaw of necro design indeed, but even more of PvE design. If a boss attack once every 20s but down you in one shot, then of course damage negation is infinitely better than passive defenses. But it is easy to see from PvP that in a normal situation, necro base survivability is good without too much need to invest in it. It could be better if the devs understood that good passive defense isn’t enough without at least some active defense.

Raids discussion

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

The problem is I don’t have 10 friends…

Raids discussion

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Problem with Aetherblade IMO aside from obvious cutscene and reward stuff is that the puzzles are just more annoying than fun. I look at Arah orbs and some of the fractal stuff and those are fun, I look at aetherblade and just… ugh.

But, yeah the idea as a whole is sound, mechanic heavy instances are great, I just am not a big fan of Aetherblade.

That’s what I mean, if these raids turn into 10 people berserker fests, it will be more of the same.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Raids discussion

Quickfoot Katana.8642

I see a lot of PHIWs crawled out of the General Discussion subforums to here…

Raids discussion

deSade.9437

Oh, it’s gonna be so painful in the following 2 months. Our trashcan will be filled to the brim and beyond…
AND THEN the flood of “omg this is too hard nerf” threads… and “community is toxic”… and “we want the rewards”…
I already know I’ll want to carve my eyes out of my head before this is over. No, before it even begins.
/sighs loudly

Raids discussion

Quickfoot Katana.8642

It’s almost as if you prefered the typical abandoned forum / dungeons/fractal scene :P

Raids discussion

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

They said there will be three raids coming. They’re probably already in development. I’m calling it now: there will be at most one more new raid after those three.

Anet will then move on to the next big thing while people are left hanging waiting for the next raid (see dungeons, fractals, guild missions).

Raids discussion

Posted by: NACotser.4125

NACotser.4125

The trailer just makes me think of FotM and the legend of zelda game’s lovechild

2Hairy = 2Scary
B)

Raids discussion

deSade.9437

It’s almost as if you prefered the typical abandoned forum / dungeons/fractal scene :P

Well, but I do? I enjoy festering wounds and feeding on them, like any good ol’ toxic troll…
No, I just don’t like the clashing of 2 groups of people that are SO FAR AWAY in mindset they’re in another kittening GALAXY. That’s pretty much it. The convos following this epic battle for the right of being… Right… are never fun to read and completely pointless. I want either fun and offtopic or unfun but interesting, not unfun AND pointless/hateful/anti-zerk/whatever.
So, I don’t like vocal phiws in the trashcan. Yeah? Yeah.

Raids discussion

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

They said there will be three raids coming. They’re probably already in development. I’m calling it now: there will be at most one more new raid after those three.

Anet will then move on to the next big thing while people are left hanging waiting for the next raid (see dungeons, fractals, guild missions).

To be specific they said there were three raid WINGS coming. The only metric used with raid wings I believe was just WoW, where each Wing would have more than 1 boss encounter.

Let’s assume then that there are at least 6 extremely difficult bosses then, given that they want Raiders (Weee we get to use that name now!) to start raiding a few weeks into the first of three wings, perhaps we can assume if the wing was too easy for another wing to open up the patch after (2 weeks) or perhaps a month after.

Yes, there are a lot of assumptions made, my point being is that I…am of the side that thinks Arenanet likely has only just this raid fully conceived with perhaps the next raid starting to form, but that raid won’t be mentioned at the very least for 6 months after HoT release.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”