Ranger VS the Evolved Destroyer

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I guess the point is that pugs are pugs and they are inconsistent. Guild runs can be too. Not every run we do is a Strife video super run, but they aren’t really bad. Like I said, I’m just trying to show Ranger’s potential and a build that can demonstrate it.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

I gotta admit, I was expecting to see you have 3 people on the lasers and then shoot it from the top for 3 minutes :P

Posted by: Ather.5091

Ather.5091

My only problem with you saying that destroyer is rubbish easy is that through all of my coe runs with LOD never once did they clear it in 1 try without timewarp. So the ability for your members to predict the ease of encounters or the possible usefulness of some classes is rather funny to me.

Says the man who said DnT will NEVER run with LH Elementalists and from the looks of it…. DnT is. You have run with us for a while and have had access to our videos with runs where the mesmers forgot to use TW and still got it in one go. This attack is really low considering how much we can say about DnT now.

I guess the point is that pugs are pugs and they are inconsistent. Guild runs can be too. Not every run we do is a Strife video super run, but they aren’t really bad. Like I said, I’m just trying to show Ranger’s potential and a build that can demonstrate it.

This statement is too true and too many people forget that. Unfortunately, you have still failed to convince me that ranger is any better to a casual guild run beyond being a space filler. That is unless that is all you are trying to prove. Also I don’t see the usefulness of bringing a class where the only unique party support it provides are the Spotter perk, especially in a party where everyone already has ~95%+ crit chance.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

My only problem with you saying that destroyer is rubbish easy is that through all of my coe runs with LOD never once did they clear it in 1 try without timewarp. So the ability for your members to predict the ease of encounters or the possible usefulness of some classes is rather funny to me.

Says the man who said DnT will NEVER run with LH Elementalists and from the looks of it…. DnT is. You have run with us for a while and have had access to our videos with runs where the mesmers forgot to use TW and still got it in one go. This attack is really low considering how much we can say about DnT now.

This statement is too true and too many people forget that. Unfortunately, you have still failed to convince me that ranger is any better to a casual guild run beyond being a space filler. That is unless that is all you are trying to prove. Also I don’t see the usefulness of bringing a class where the only unique party support it provides are the Spotter perk, especially in a party where everyone already has ~95%+ crit chance.

I don’t really do casual guild runs. If that involves Rangers shooting with a bow and not being useful, then there’s probably no reason to take one. Spotter and Frost Spirit are huge. If you don’t play with Sigil of Perception, you probably aren’t going to be getting close to 95% crit chance unless you are a Guardian with 30 in Radiance. It’s like having an extra Banner of Strength / Discipline. Ranger can be a very good candidate for replacing a Warrior, especially because that 3rd Warrior is pretty much a place filler. That does require a build like this, though, and I don’t expect every pug or casual player to adopt this… Although maybe it will motivate them just a little bit.

And guild drama is guild drama. Things go wrong, trash talk occurs. I don’t really care what negative things you may know about my guild, things you can pick apart or whatever the case may be. I’ve got no problem with your guild and I don’t think I have a problem with anyone that claims membership to it. If you’ve got a problem with Dempsey, perhaps it would be best to keep it between the two of you instead. I’m not defending anyone’s actions or words, either. Just trying to prevent drama that won’t benefit anyone.

Brazil

Posted by: jwaz.1908

jwaz.1908

I don’t really do casual guild runs. If that involves Rangers shooting with a bow and not being useful, then there’s probably no reason to take one. Spotter and Frost Spirit are huge. If you don’t play with Sigil of Perception, you probably aren’t going to be getting close to 95% crit chance unless you are a Guardian with 30 in Radiance. It’s like having an extra Banner of Strength / Discipline. Ranger can be a very good candidate for replacing a Warrior, especially because that 3rd Warrior is pretty much a place filler. That does require a build like this, though, and I don’t expect every pug or casual player to adopt this… Although maybe it will motivate them just a little bit.

1. I’m fairly certain frost spirit has an internal cooldown that causes the damage increase to be more like 3.5% than 7% to the entire party.

2. That ‘3rd’ warrior slot is much better filled with something else than a ranger (LH ele is a good candidate).

Brom Svánigandr – Druid
Nemata Sapshield – Dragonhunter
Lillian Estre – Tempest

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

1. I’m fairly certain frost spirit has an internal cooldown that causes the damage increase to be more like 3.5% than 7% to the entire party.

2. That ‘3rd’ warrior slot is much better filled with something else than a ranger (LH ele is a good candidate).

According to the wiki, it has no cooldown. And LH Ele more or less requires specific changes to a group makeup. Standard builds don’t work as well with it.

Brazil

Posted by: Ather.5091

Ather.5091

According to the wiki, it has no cooldown. And LH Ele more or less requires specific changes to a group makeup. Standard builds don’t work as well with it.

Isn’t this why we run in guilds? Obviously we would not take a LH into a group without respecing everything to accommodate this. And we still get all 3 paths done <35 min relying on one.

Also, wouldn’t a thief be a better replacement than a ranger?

I’d hardly call a former Marine a silly goose, but that’s your call I suppose. Perhaps he’s got a fiery nature.

wha?

Posted by: Lawrence.4230

Lawrence.4230

Sigh my take on this thread.

Attachments:

War Hero Singed-Guardian| Lawrence Ashford-Mesmer| Aureila Ashford-Ele.
Legion Of Doom [LOD] http://forums.lodgw.com

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Must still be alot of pent up feelings as my post was reported

Anyways. It’s the individual who is the issue and not the guild. No drama here >_>

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Isn’t this why we run in guilds? Obviously we would not take a LH into a group without respecing everything to accommodate this. And we still get all 3 paths done <35 min relying on one.

Also, wouldn’t a thief be a better replacement than a ranger?

I’d hardly call a former Marine a silly goose, but that’s your call I suppose. Perhaps he’s got a fiery nature.

wha?

Thief would probably be fine in some cases. Thieves, Rangers, and Eles are all pretty good classes in my opinion. They have their own advantages and disadvantages.

And Dempsey has a strong attitude and personality like I do. I just chose to use it differently I guess. Interpret it how you will.

Brazil

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

This is an old build most rangers have known. The problem is your jaguar will be dead most of the time on any fight with heavy aoe fields. In some encounters you plain need guard shout to keep your pet alive. Otherwise use a drake for the cleaving and it’s slightly reduced damage compared to jaguar…

And all that effort to just do middle of the pack DPS.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

This is an old build most rangers have known. The problem is your jaguar will be dead most of the time on any fight with heavy aoe fields. In some encounters you plain need guard shout to keep your pet alive. Otherwise use a drake for the cleaving and it’s slightly reduced damage compared to jaguar…

I’ve not had any big problems with pets dying to AoE. I’ll record some more videos to demonstrate this.

Brazil

Zenith.7301

Yeah, I mean it’s not bad for the typical dungeons but for things like fractals 48, newer dungeon designs like Aetherblade lasers and Molten Facility final bosses it is pretty awful.

They just need to remove the pet death 45 sec penalty and just leave the 15-20 sec cd in. Ranger would be a lot better then.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Yeah, I mean it’s not bad for the typical dungeons but for things like fractals 48, newer dungeon designs like Aetherblade lasers and Molten Facility final bosses it is pretty awful.

They just need to remove the pet death 45 sec penalty and just leave the 15-20 sec cd in. Ranger would be a lot better then.

I probably wouldn’t bother taking Ranger into Fractals, but I don’t really do them anymore since I don’t like getting abused. But I agree about the pet swap. Even something like 35 seconds would be great since pets are basically what make a Ranger a Ranger.

Brazil

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Uploading a video right now showing no ICD on Frost Spirit. Will edit this and insert the link in about a half hour. I did it in the Mists so maybe it’s different in PvE party settings. (ed: video link below in new post)

If you don’t need feedback (read: Arah), you can essentially drop the Mesmer now. Guard/Ele/Ranger/War/War.

Retired. Too many casuals.

(edited by Broadicea.8294)

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Uploading a video right now showing no ICD on Frost Spirit. Will edit this and insert the link in about a half hour. I did it in the Mists so maybe it’s different in PvE party settings.

If you don’t need feedback (read: Arah), you can essentially drop the Mesmer now. Guard/Ele/Ranger/War/War.

Don’t really need the guard in Arah, either. I’d like to try out the Ranger in Arah some time, maybe when Dub comes back, just because he’s an avid support of ‘Warrior Supremacy’

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

(edited by The Mexican Cookie.3690)

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Uploading a video right now showing no ICD on Frost Spirit. Will edit this and insert the link in about a half hour. I did it in the Mists so maybe it’s different in PvE party settings.

Don’t really need the guard in Arah, either.

Ehhhh…. I’d argue that. GS pull and Wall are good for the mobs at the beginning of path 3, condition removal is good for the Hunter and Crusher, as is reflection, Shield and Aegis are good for the Magecrusher, Wall / Aegis / Stability are good for Lupicus, condition removal and Aegis are good for the Wraithlord, Wall is good for Brie and Belka, Stability is good for the Abom, Wall and Shield are good for Alphard. I don’t see how not having a Guardian would help, and those are only 2 paths… Unless you are completing the dungeons in ways that are “patchable.”

Brazil

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Oh man, this brings me back. It’s like GW1 all over again

@Brasil

We usually run the standard paths running standard(ish) tactics, from our experience the Guardian generally doesn’t contribute anything spectacular. We generally observed that it was just a DPS loss, and the things you labeled were kind of like a crutch or luxury that you could do without.

Though, yea. Alphard is the one fight I definitely enjoy having a Guardian and/or Mesmer. The abomination is easy enough without it, players after a few runs should be able to read all of his attacks. Belka doesn’t really do a whole lot, she dies before she ports even with just 4 players, and Brie may as well be a laser-bot.

We generally kill the Hunter first, at the Hunter/Crusher fight. It makes killing the Crusher a little smoother until the Hunter is revived, and the Hunter dies when the Crusher dies anyway (on the assumption that you kill him first). Overall, we find that Guardian in Arah is mostly a luxury, it’s nice to have but with players who are pretty experienced there isn’t much of a need.

(I kind of question killing the Hunter first, it’s not my tactic, but it works I guess).

EDIT: I thought about it some more, I guess my experiences are more so based on “we don’t ever have a guardian” rather than “we found our runs were slower with a guardian”. Dub sometimes claims he’d rather run with 5 warriors, but I’m pretty impartial. We generally just run with what’s available, we don’t particularly have a team build or w/e. There’s a difference between ‘needing’ a Guardian and ‘wanting’ a Guardian

Broadicea.8294

Frost Spirit “ICD”

http://youtu.be/OiKcajDnaVw

Another issue I’m seeing though, just to add it to the pile of “kitten that needs fixed on Rangers” is that my Jaguar doesn’t always crit from Stealth. Isn’t it supposed to?

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

@Brasil

We usually run the standard paths running standard(ish) tactics, from our experience the Guardian generally doesn’t contribute anything spectacular. We generally observed that it was just a DPS loss, and the things you labeled were kind of like a crutch or luxury that you could do without.

Though, yea. Alphard is the one fight I definitely enjoy having a Guardian and/or Mesmer. The abomination is easy enough without it, players after a few runs should be able to read all of his attacks. Belka doesn’t really do a whole lot, she dies before she ports even with just 4 players, and Brie may as well be a laser-bot.

We generally kill the Hunter first, at the Hunter/Crusher fight. It makes killing the Crusher a little smoother until the Hunter is revived, and the Hunter dies when the Crusher dies anyway (on the assumption that you kill him first). Overall, we find that Guardian in Arah is mostly a luxury, it’s nice to have but with players who are pretty experienced there isn’t much of a need.

(I kind of question killing the Hunter first, it’s not my tactic, but it works I guess).

EDIT: I thought about it some more, I guess my experiences are more so based on “we don’t ever have a guardian” rather than “we found our runs were slower with a guardian”. Dub sometimes claims he’d rather run with 5 warriors, but I’m pretty impartial. We generally just run with what’s available, we don’t particularly have a team build or w/e. There’s a difference between ‘needing’ a Guardian and ‘wanting’ a Guardian

Fair enough. All valid points.

Brazil

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Another issue I’m seeing though, just to add it to the pile of “kitten that needs fixed on Rangers” is that my Jaguar doesn’t always crit from Stealth. Isn’t it supposed to?

It used to, but that’s was altered last patch. It’s still a very high Crit rate, even if it’s not 100%.

Broadicea.8294

It used to, but that’s was altered last patch. It’s still a very high Crit rate, even if it’s not 100%.

Well he gets Spotter and Fury too. Annoying, oh well.

Posted by: Almdudler.8621

Almdudler.8621

This is basically it in a nut shell. Against non-threats the sword and pet are fine, but once the battles go on longer or bosses become more threatening and timely dodges and precision position becomes important, the sword becomes your worst enemy and the pet dies. This situation is made worse in a pug, where bosses don’t just melt and you need to have full control of your resources during the fight. I don’t mean this in a disrespectful way, but that video shows basically an auto-attack spam for 30 seconds, content like that isn’t a good barometer for build viability.

In an organised speed clear group under ideal conditions a single ranger can do fine, if the fight is as short as this one, the sword, pet and spirit won’t reach their limitations. In a longer fight or just one which requires more dodges and you will often get killed in the sword animation and the pet and spirit will die as soon as the boss looks at them.

A build like this one really isn’t half as good outside of premade groups. While an axe warrior has guaranteed access to his banners (they don’t die) and full DPS as long as he is alive (no pet to get killed) the ranger doesn’t enjoy these luxuries. Any other class or weapon will give you an easier time positioning yourself during combat and allow you to dodge normally. The sword just doesn’t do that.

Variations of this build have been run by different rangers for a while now. Under ideal conditions it plays well, but throw in a speed bump or two and it derails faster than most builds. I’ve heard stories from players claiming to almost exclusively run the main hand sword in all dungeon/fractal content while keeping themselves and the pet alive but I’ve never seen it done. I’m sure there are some players that minimise the issues of the sword control and survivability of the pet and spirit but that’s not going to fly for most players.

Pretty much this

Player Character.9467

@Brasil

See that’s the thing, unless you’re speed running p4 to sell slots to the people still willing to pay for completion, take a guard, drop a tiny bit of dps, 0% chance of any1 dying even if the guard is built for dps. Sure it’s definitely more than doable with no deaths without a guard, but there’s a larger difference in effort than there is in the time to completion :P

The Mexican Cookie.3690

See that’s the thing, unless you’re speed running p4 to sell slots to the people still willing to pay for completion, take a guard, drop a tiny bit of dps, 0% chance of any1 dying even if the guard is built for dps. Sure it’s definitely more than doable with no deaths without a guard, but there’s a larger difference in effort than there is in the time to completion :P

As I (kind of) mentioned, we generally just run with what people feel like playing, which means we usually end up with a lot of warriors and no guardians (I guess no one likes playing Guard? idk). It’s not so much that I think it’s ‘not worth taking’, its more so that I don’t think you should label it under the ‘needed’ column. It’s hard for me to put it into words without appearing condescending, so I probably didn’t do a great job of explaining. Sorry about that, trying to avoid accidentally offending people

Keep in mind that I’m basing my statements off of personal experience(s), not so much fact through numbers or theory or w/e. I’m sure someone else that has run a lot of Arah could share their experiences, and perhaps a different opinion than me related to Guardians.

Sorry, I’ve contributed to taking this really off-topic. GOOO RANGERS!

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

I legitimately have not seem a shout heal warrior in over a year, maybe I’m just lucky. However the pure ranged Guards, Thieves and Rangers are at least one in each PuG. Alternately I have a soft spot for staff Ele’s

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: Delay.6908

Delay.6908

I legitimately have not seem a shout heal warrior in over a year, maybe I’m just lucky. However the pure ranged Guards, Thieves and Rangers are at least one in each PuG. Alternately I have a soft spot for staff Ele’s

Head on over to reddit or low level fractals, shout heal warriors at every turn. :p

Dr Winston | [DnT]

swiftpaw.6397

Every. kitten . Pug.

Every time. Without fail. There’s at least one of what you just mentioned, in fact in alot of them, there’s at least three. And if there isn’t, it’s a guardian not using virtues at all or a class running full signets or a guy in magic find auto attacking in fire attunement…

And they tell me I’m a scumbag for asking them to ping their gear.. whatever -.- /scumbag life.

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

Every time I see a staff ele, I die a little inside. And then I remember that I, too, was once a staff ele before I reached enlightenment. And then I pray they accidentally pick up my spare lightning hammer … even though it never happens because they’re at max range or didn’t dodge.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I recorded an AC story run yesterday, actually. There was a shout heal warrior using Banner of Defense and Tactics with Fear Me. He also had T3 armor and Flameseeker Prophecies, and used a mainhand Mace with Hammer on the swap. They are still out there everywhere.

Brazil

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

The scary thing is shout heal warriors are far from the worst warriors I’ve seen in pugs

Oceanic [LOD]

Player Character.9467

I recorded an AC story run yesterday, actually. There was a shout heal warrior using Banner of Defense and Tactics with Fear Me. He also had T3 armor and Flameseeker Prophecies, and used a mainhand Mace with Hammer on the swap. They are still out there everywhere.

How the hell do you farm enough to get those with such a terrible build?

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Video about Ranger damage….
Party is 3 Wars and a Guard

Another masterpiece from Brazil

Player Character.9467

Some1 has to carry that mace/shield & hammer dps. (you can apply this to whichever of those classes you want)

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

Not surprised he chose to replace the mesmer instead of another war.
And unlike the LH ele the ranger doesn’t really have much war replacing potential. At best they can replace one war. It doesn’t grant the kind of benefit the LH ele does through spamming LH into fire fields. The only things it can bring is done by a single ranger at which point you’ll hit high diminishing returns for taking more.

They also lack the utility such as crowd control with that weapon set and we all know how useful the war mace knockdown / guardian pull or banish / mesmer interrupt / LH launch are for CoE farms. Seems like a leech build, exactly like Nike’s necromancer.

This thread would be brazil’s best troll if it manages to convince a couple people to spend their in game gold to craftlvl a ranger.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Player Character.9467

And unlike the LH ele the ranger doesn’t really have much war replacing potential. At best they can replace one war. It doesn’t grant the kind of benefit the LH ele does through spamming LH into fire fields. The only things it can bring is done by a single ranger at which point you’ll hit high diminishing returns for taking more.

They also lack the utility such as crowd control with that weapon set and we all know how useful the war mace knockdown / guardian pull or banish / mesmer interrupt / LH launch are for CoE farms. Seems like a leech build, exactly like Nike’s necromancer.

This thread would be brazil’s best troll if it manages to convince a couple people to spend their in game gold to craftlvl a ranger.

Heavy diminishing returns on stacking a class isn’t exactly a problem, it promotes diversity. It’s why you only took 1 healer in trinity games, at most 1 main and 1 that’s only hybridized healing, or only 1 class with a party haste buff (stacking haste buffs aren’t exactly the norm).

It makes the game significantly less visually bland and helps equalize the value of differently restricted pieces of gear (altho not of differently stat-ed pieces).

(edited by Player Character.9467)

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I was considering rolling a ranger, just because that sword auto attack looks pretty kitten fun

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Please send me the video. I really need to have a good laugh.
By the way, I decided that after getting Bolt I’ll craft Rodgort and give it to a ranger, like, sword/horn and sword/torch or something. I’ll name his pet after you.
…. No, I wasn’t serious.
Or maybe I was.
Moar videos plz. This was just an autoattack race.

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

To be fair, shout heal warriors were pretty OP back in guild wars 1.

[DnT]

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Does it hurt that much to say that Ranger is useful?

Brazil

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Only problem I have with this.. is this. This is the destroyer. He’s rubbish easy. You can stand there without issue and whale on him while a guardian blocks his dragon’s tooth every so often. I find that melee’ing on ranger with the sword 1 chain to be alot more difficult in other situations, especially as glass cannon which leaves you like paper. 2 issues are this- 1 is that the auto chain can lock you in place, 2 is the pet which is gonna get destroyed in most fights so you can forget about that dps ( I’m looking @ u alpha).

The real problem I have with ranger is that it can be good dps, in select situations like the destroyer.. But these situations are few and far between. I’d like to be able to run ranger for every speedclear, and have it be viable for every part of a speedclear, not just the parts where it doesn’t matter what class you brought as long as it was glass. Also I’m interested to know where you’re placing frost spirit on Alpha, I always fantasized about having that extra 10% dmg buff.

I’m guessing a way around the crappy ( but high damage, yes) sword auto attack lock could be to pick up an ele weapon. He only really needs one hammer per alpha encounter anyways if you kill him fast enough.

Alpha doesn’t really kill the pets. I was surprised that they were staying alive, but I’ve not done a CoE run yet where I’ve had a problem with them dying. The Sword chain really isn’t that bad once you are familiar with it and can make use of it effectively.

I drop spirits on alpha and he doesn’t kill them. I put them right on his head, no kitten. And then I do a bunch of 25k+ whirls with my friend’s fiery greatsword. And then I auto with sword…oh, wait, nevermind. Alpha is dead. shrugs

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

(edited by Chopps.5047)

swiftpaw.6397

Does it hurt that much to say that Ranger is useful?

Hasn’t really inspired me to use my already crafted ranger. It’s just confirmed what I already suspected, and that’s that it can work, but there’s not really a point unless it makes the run noticeably faster.

Posted by: Rathore.9348

Rathore.9348

I didn’t read all the back-and-forth in this thread (most of the haters don’t even have geared rangers and just bandwagon), but as a ranger main myself since launch, I’ll tell you right now that 20/25/0/25/0 is a very strong build for easy content. Spotter and Frost Spirit (which scales extremely well with just about any other damage buff in the game) are non-redundant damage buffs, and because of pet damage, rangers are easily one of the best wielders of conjured ele weapons. Pets can be used to pull mobs without endangering anyone, and with good swap timing, you can bait out plenty of one-shot moves without penalty. Like all professions, bad players give it a bad name, but sword and pet mechanics require a fair amount of timing and finesse to master, and quite frankly, it’s much easier for people to call their rangers “bad” than actually take the time to learn these things.

For more difficult fights, I recommend switching from Runes of the Scholar to Runes of the Ranger, and switch from Sigil of Perception to Sigil of Bloodlust. This will give you a high baseline crit chance to work with in exchange for lower power but a much more reliable 5% bonus instead of the unreliable 10%. When you go down (one shots can and will happen in full berserker gear on any profession), it’s much better to lose power than to lose precision from a utility perspective.

Also, run 20/20/20/10 for off-hand training and wilderness expertise. You’ll still have Spotter and Frost Spirit for group dps ofc, but with the survival traits you can bring much more utility to a group. Off-hand Axe will give you a 1200 range pulling skill (that does alot of damage btw) and a reflect bubble that can rotated into your group’s routine. The warhorn cooldown will more than compensate for the loss in boon duration. Dagger will give you an extra evade, and torch will give you a large, 8 second fire field to be used with banners, lightning hammers, and other blasts.

With the 20% survival recharge trait, you can use muddy terrain/entangle for AoE immobilize when needed (grawl shaman, big groups of trash, etc.), and you can always use lightning reflexes instead of sic ’em with you feel a stun break is necessary.

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

“Rangers aren’t as bad as everyone thinks they are.”

Well story time for you then. Just finished a pug CoE run. There’s 2 rangers in our group. One has 11k achieves, one 10.8k. One guy in the pt brings up your video. The rangers say they don’t use that build, it’s junk, they use their build, the “best” build. After 3 runs of Coe, the did nothing at all except sbow 1 spamming. They swapped weapons once the entire dungeon… to long bow for the destroyer.

Rangers are still just as bad as ever, despite what this video shows.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Well story time for you then. Just finished a pug CoE run. There’s 2 rangers in our group. One has 11k achieves, one 10.8k. One guy in the pt brings up your video. The rangers say they don’t use that build, it’s junk, they use their build, the “best” build. After 3 runs of Coe, the did nothing at all except sbow 1 spamming. They swapped weapons once the entire dungeon… to long bow for the destroyer.

Bad Rangers are bad. The profession has qualities that make it very good, despite everything I used to think about them. That’s why we had a 16 second Destroyer kill and you… Well, you played with some bad Rangers.

Brazil

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

LH ele is pretty mediocre all things considered. I’ve tried all sorts of party comps specifically tailored to make them good, and its still so underwhelming. Sure, Fiery Greatsword on a boss against a wall is epic dps, but when you’re actually using the hammer the dps isn’t anything amazing really.

To put it in perspective, you have to radically alter your party comp and playstyle to get the most out of LH ele, and after all that extra work you have a team that isn’t anything more than average dps except for fiery greatsword shenanigans.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Broadicea.8294

oh no, the guardian had to bring hallowed ground and purging flames, party comp is radically altered….

Zenith.7301

Bad Rangers are bad. The profession has qualities that make it very good, despite everything I used to think about them. That’s why we had a 16 second Destroyer kill and you… Well, you played with some bad Rangers.

I had a TA run with this ranger. I told him to not use the bear — that if he had issues with pet survival to just run a drake as it’s similarly tanky, but does the damage of dogs and is the only pet that cleaves and has a blast finisher.

The ranger proceeded to longbow all things to death with his bear put on passive throughout the run.

I mained a ranger. I don’t have a vendetta against the class. But the way this game advertises the class just attracts the worst of players to it. I very rarely see rangers that will melee. It’s all those terrible bows.

Broadicea.8294

Yes this does not stop me from instakicking all ranger pugs that join. It does mean I can add ranger to my alt rotation for dungeons with an organized group.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I had a TA run with this ranger. I told him to not use the bear — that if he had issues with pet survival to just run a drake as it’s similarly tanky, but does the damage of dogs and is the only pet that cleaves and has a blast finisher.

The ranger proceeded to longbow all things to death with his bear put on passive throughout the run.

I mained a ranger. I don’t have a vendetta against the class. But the way this game advertises the class just attracts the worst of players to it. I very rarely see rangers that will melee. It’s all those terrible bows.

It’s not like I don’t understand this point, but people keep telling me about it anyways.

Brazil