Real talk, the future of dungeons?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: kipz.8701

kipz.8701

So where do we start this topic hmm?

What is going to be the future of dungeons? I mean, end game PvE for me now on a daily basis is:

1/2/3 CoE
1 CoF
DR Break
1/2/3 AC
2 CoF

All this is for a skin. Why these dungeons you ask? CoE is the place to go to give you your best shot at getting charged cores/lodes. CoF 1 because it takes 6-7 mins and gives you a nice amount of money for the time it takes. AC for the same reason, with an omnom you can easily get 4 gold for clearing all 3 paths. CoF 2 because again, its a cakewalk and really doesn’t take long.

So after getting a decent amount of money, maybe 1 or 2 cores (don’t get me started on the loot tables for that ), its now time to exchange my tokens for rares to salvage for ectos.

Again, all of this is for a skin, a really nice skin I might add. I really don’t mind the time put in, but the variety, these dungeons ARE A GRIND. No question about it. I’d like to question if any Anet devs have put in their time to farm a legendary.

Back on topic now, what can we expect to come in the next few months dungeon wise? It’s a shame to say this but from the lack of anything in the pipeline, a lot of quite avid players I know are beginning to think, I have my legendary, there is really nothing left that to just farm gold.

Are we going to see any additions to the fractals? Imho I really hope not, yes it was nice to test some new mechanics but it was the flavour of the month and got old pretty quickly.

I think what we need desperately are some REAL SOLID RAID DUNGEONS. Now don’t get hung up on the word raid, I am happy with 5 man, it works, it’s not too complicated but as I see it, from the recent interviews and live streams the reason they wont go above 5 man is because of UI clutter? Then I beg the question of the new daily UI addition. Either that or in 10 man just force it into the streamlines raid frames.

I feel that in the last patch, the “dungeon polish and improvements” were a shambles and really very disappointing. There are still a lot of bugs that need to be addressed (Bjarl for instance is a horribly buggy encounter) and it remains to be seen that reducing alphas HP can be classed as real dungeon polish.

We need specific level 80 instances that are not easy, and reward rares and exotics. I for one am sick of getting blues from a chest. WTF is with that. I can get blues from the mobs in Queensdale. Get rid of the path 1/2/3 stuff and give us a true explorable dungeon. One that actually takes time to master rather than a cakewalk. One with adequate loot tables. One which has events like the troll in AC. Put some T6 nodes in there too for kittens sake. Right now dungeons are lackluster compared to the stuff you experience in WoW. Don’t get me wrong. On release they were good, but now they are stale and we really need some fresh content rather than “world events” that are walking up and down a map clicking on a broken sign.

We need dungeons with lore and a back story. Not just a kind of made up story that ties in with the lore. AC for example, what drove the priory there? what is the significance of the characters? why focus on gravelings when you could have made some really cool tie ins with the foe fire and searing.

I think the Charr fractal showed a lot of promise for a starting point of a larger open explorable dungeon. Imagine something along the lines of stratholme in WoW only in ascalon. Let us take on Bonfazz. Let us defend Rin from the charr.

Granted that is all in the past. Now that the story is over and we have “pressed 2 to zhaitan” we need the story to now progress in dungeons aswell as open world encounters.

My question to Anet is a blunt one. Please stop keeping us in the dark with false hopes and let us know what we can expect to see or what the next dungeon is based upon. It’s disappointing to say that I really don’t think there is much juice left in the content we have.

Posted by: cpenney.4793

cpenney.4793

I agree with you 100%. But expect flame now for a lot of this from the people who want to believe everything dungeon related and endgame is perfect, It’s all i ever get when i bring up some of these same wants,concerns, and ideas.

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

id like a hard dungeon, that becomes easy with the right team, that has the chance to drop an item such as Vision of the Mists, Volcanus etc… Not a precursor, just something actually VERY incentive, not just a charged lode, im talking BIG MONEY DROPS but rng ofc

Posted by: Pinkus.2860

Pinkus.2860

As much as people rag on the WoW style raiding, it actually worked. They could easily implement similar dungeons to GW2 but remove some of the annoying factors like gear treadmill. I think doing an EPIC volcanic dungeon for a chance at a volcanus off the last boss would be AMAZING! Reward for effort. I think the idea behind fractals is ok… Short fast dungeons (or atleast most of them) with reasonable rewards = good starting point. I think what alot of people were hoping for was something like a 8-10 man Arah style dungeon in terms of difficulty but actually have it be rewarding at the end.

Pinkus – Webmaster
First Light Gaming [DAWN] – PvX OCEANIC COMMUNITY – BLACKGATE
http://www.firstlightgaming.com

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

I hear a lot of requests for these “raid” dungeons, but all I’m thinking is that the last thing we need is more content that involves a large mob zerging its way through an objective. I’m looking at events like The Shatter, etc. Those aren’t really fun or involving in any way. The fewer players required for content the better.

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

almost everything about dungeons are wrong in this game.

1º they need to rebuild the boss fight(Zerg in almost all the boss dungeons is stupid and if you want to make dungeons challenging and fun, we need fight that need coordnation and the
minimum of class knowlage)

i normaly think about school as a MMO, We level till lvl 80 through that leveling you learn how to play your class, when you hit lvl 80 you reach End-game so now is time to use the knowledge that you got through lvl.
Ofc in gw2 is not 100% like that because you can do explorable instance at low lvl, ut you know what I mean, i hope.

In the school is the same think you learn in the class and when the time comes to use the knowledge you do a exam.

The diference right now is that the End game is so easy so “brainless” that you dont have to apply your knowledge to beat the boss.

2º to make the game more challenging and competitive they could implement a new “difficulty” for exemple “Hurry mode” in this difficulty the instance is timed, if you can finish the instance in time your name(s) go to the leaderboard, i think this type of instance would bring the Hardcore player back. them if you could end the instance in X time you could get a title a pet or other cosmetic item(gear/tonic etc) or even karma.

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

I hear a lot of requests for these “raid” dungeons, but all I’m thinking is that the last thing we need is more content that involves a large mob zerging its way through an objective. I’m looking at events like The Shatter, etc. Those aren’t really fun or involving in any way. The fewer players required for content the better.

Indeed we dont need more Zerg fight, but the difference from raids to what we have now(Large Pve events) is exacly that, you need more coordnation in raids and you need to know your class and the others classes to.

Posted by: Phoenix.7845

Phoenix.7845

They need more bosses like Simin (even tho that one takes 1 min to kill when you learn the mechanics).

That is actually a great thing. Long boss fights are boring unless the boss has really amazing mechanics (very good mechanics is not enough). Right now most bosses have like 4 times too much hp which makes fights long and boring. The only problem is not to fall asleep. I like bosses who die exrremely fast with a very good team but force the team to know what they are doing. Simin is a good example, once you know what to do and practice, you can kill her really easy as long as you have two capabke runners who know what to do with sparks and three other people who know how not to get in their way. She has also 4-1 variant which can be used to get her down easly if you have good dps. Best example of a really bad boss is Jade Maw in fractals. The main problem is that with good team most of the time you wait for maw to attack some party member. If you have a ranger in the team he can target the pet so you have to wait even longer. The only problem can be agony but it gear grind mechanic which makes it even worse.

TL; DR – make boss fights fun and interesting but not long.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

i played gw1 and have no idea what raid is, but atm i would be willing to try anything because really i only farm gold now. it is dungeon grind. i would be willing to try “raids” anets way. im actually hoping february patch guild quests will be something like dungeons for 5+ groups.

if this is the case, make it hard.

Posted by: Gnox.6829

Gnox.6829

I agree with a lot in this thread…
- I want to group with other people and have fun. (Raid)
– You are getting close with some of the guild events.
- I want a reason to group. (Gear or Rare Items)
- WVW doesn’t make either of these happen.

- Please don’t make me go back to a 7 year old MMO to find high end raiding, character progression, and a sense of accomplishment.

P.S. I would love to have an excuse to pay you guys more. Give me a reason to buy gems! Mini pets (that get auto sent to my bank) and town cloths aren’t cutting it.