Reflects and Dungeons

Reflects and Dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

In your infinite wisdom of what is intended and not. Where exactly are theses abilities to be used that isn’t cheesy? Or is their entire existence wrong?

It’s just ANet’s fault that there are bosses who can be completely countered by reflects and they try to fix that.

That doesn’t answer the question at all.

Do you really think that ANet’s vision of how bosses are meant to be fought by stacking ontop of the boss, dropping reflects like mad and smashing 111111111?

No, it was not! They fixed it by making reflects useless. You can deal with it or you leave, I don’t kittening care.

Is making reflects useless the best way to counter stacking? No, not by far.
Does it work? Yes it does. Deal with it.

Still doesn’t answer the question.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: draconx.3102

draconx.3102

Can you please explain how stacking has anything to do with Malrona, and how making her projectiles unreflectable discourages it?

Nobody stacks for Malrona.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

If it was up to HHR LostProphet, we wouldn’t be allowed to melee bosses at all.

Everyone grab your longbows and rifles.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Can you please explain how stacking has anything to do with Malrona, and how making her projectiles unreflectable discourages it?

Never tried to stack in front of her, reflecting the AoEs, getting poisoned and kill her in notime? Never? Well, you could try to evade her AoEs. Gl with that if you’re running with PuGs.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: draconx.3102

draconx.3102

Never tried to stack in front of her, reflecting the AoEs, getting poisoned and kill her in notime? Never? Well, you could try to evade her AoEs. Gl with that if you’re running with PuGs.

That didn’t answer the question.

Also, standing in front of an enemy is not the same thing as stacking.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: No Pulse.2967

No Pulse.2967

Please. I beg you. Watch this video. And tell us how reflects deal(t) no damage against Malrona.

Inactive member in Dark Renegatus [REN]
The Order of Calamity [OOC] is recruiting!
5/8 Champion titles

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

That didn’t answer the question.

Also, standing in front of an enemy is not the same thing as stacking.

It does.

Reflects and Dungeons

Jerus.4350

I just want to note, I’m not trying to flame you HHR, I asked you a legitimate question (though provocative in my wording I know, sorry) but you’ve dodged the question twice now.

What’s the point of reflects if it’s not supposed to work on bosses? Were are they of any real use outside of where it trivializes encounters in the same way it did malrona?

I personally Like to believe that the devs can put 2 and 2 together and know how it will work. “we have projectile walls. And we have projectiles on this boss. The walls will be able to block the projectiles” How can they not understand that it would have worked that way?

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Please, oh dev HHR LostProphet, teach us peasants how dungeons are intended to be run. Share with us your ways, great one.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

Please. I beg you. Watch this video. And tell us how reflects deal(t) no damage against Malrona.

Yes, I agree reflects are strong, but removing them isnt the answer, just tone done the damage and let them still work, Id be happy if it only did 10% the damage back, oh wait nvm 10% on some bosses is to much.. make it 1%, still be more useful than NONE!

SAB or RIOT

Reflects and Dungeons

No Pulse.2967

Yes, I agree reflects are strong, but removing them isnt the answer, just tone done the damage and let them still work, Id be happy if it only did 10% the damage back, oh wait nvm 10% on some bosses is to much.. make it 1%, still be more useful than NONE!

I agree.
/15charredpotatoes

5/8 Champion titles

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

I just want to note, I’m not trying to flame you HHR, I asked you a legitimate question (though provocative in my wording I know, sorry) but you’ve dodged the question twice now.

What’s the point of reflects if it’s not supposed to work on bosses? Were are they of any real use outside of where it trivializes encounters in the same way it did malrona?

I personally Like to believe that the devs can put 2 and 2 together and know how it will work. “we have projectile walls. And we have projectiles on this boss. The walls will be able to block the projectiles” How can they not understand that it would have worked that way?

Reflects should work exact that way as they work now: Reflecting projectiles. However if a boss just uses projectiles, his damage is nullified. It’s not the reflect’s fault that these bosses are they way they are. But ANet decided to nerf reflects instead of reworking the bosses. And there is nothing we can do about it.

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

Please, oh dev HHR LostProphet, teach us peasants how dungeons are intended to be run. Share with us your ways, great one.

There is no intended method of how dungeons have to be runned. But ANet decided that stacking in a corner, blocking damage with reflection is not how the game should work.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

Reflects should work exact that way as they work now: Reflecting projectiles. However if a boss just uses projectiles, his damage is nullified. It’s not the reflect’s fault that these bosses are they way they are. But ANet decided to nerf reflects instead of reworking the bosses. And there is nothing we can do about it.

So what about absorbs? All they do is nullify. Should we get rid of these? Gawd I hoping they never do that to harpy fractal. You shouldn’t make something useless because its too powerful you should reduce the dmg it does (or the time its up). This philosophy that Anet has put forth in this update worries me.

The Sickest Guild NA

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

In your infinite wisdom of what is intended and not. Where exactly are theses abilities to be used that isn’t cheesy? Or is their entire existence wrong?

It’s just ANet’s fault that there are bosses who can be completely countered by reflects and they try to fix that.

That doesn’t answer the question at all.

Do you really think that ANet’s vision of how bosses are meant to be fought by stacking ontop of the boss, dropping reflects like mad and smashing 111111111?

No, it was not! They fixed it by making reflects useless. You can deal with it or you leave, I don’t kittening care.

While you provide little to no evidence, here’s what hrouda had to say about running dungeons. Indirectly related.
http://i.imgur.com/jJraP8Y.png
Basically he accounted for knowing how to mitigate damage properly.

And stop oversimplifying the situation by saying “drop reflects stack and 1111” that just shows stupidity.

Btw you don’t really “stack” malrona, you just melee her or push wall and fgs; still not players “stacking” on top of eachother. Melee = stacking now?

(edited by Bread.7516)

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

So what about absorbs? All they do is nullify. Should we get rid of these? Gawd I hoping they never do that to harpy fractal. You shouldn’t make something useless because its too powerful you should reduce the dmg it does (or the time its up). This philosophy that Anet has put forth in this update worries me.

So far as I recall, absorbs do work the same way as reflects do. Have you tried to block the attacks which are unreflectable now?

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

While you provide little to no evidence, here’s what hrouda had to say about running dungeons. Indirectly related.

And stop oversimplifying the situation by saying “drop reflects stack and 1111” that just shows stupidity.

Ok, change 11111 into a damagerotation of your choice.
And please. Do you really think they designed the GW2 combat to be all about stacking in a corner? Why didn’t they just placed all bosses and mobs into corners then? Why do we have ranged weapons, movement related skills or giant AoEs if everything is meant to be cleaved to death?

Reflects and Dungeons

Sins.4782

There is no intended method of how dungeons have to be runned. But ANet decided that stacking in a corner, blocking damage with reflection is not how the game should work.

Got any dev quotes on that?

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

Do they have to tell you that dungeons are 5 men instances or is it enough that you can’t invite a 6th into your party.
Seriously, do they have to tell you the obvious or is it enough that it doesn’t work?

They should however list those “negative” changes in the patchnotes.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

Ok, change 11111 into a damagerotation of your choice.
And please. Do you really think they designed the GW2 combat to be all about stacking in a corner? Why didn’t they just placed all bosses and mobs into corners then? Why do we have ranged weapons, movement related skills or giant AoEs if everything is meant to be cleaved to death?

full melee is not stacking, seriously.
And you still need to dodge most of the time.

in combat there are people who move around like headless chickens waste time, effort and stamina, and there is the seasoned veteran who exerts efficient and minimal movements when needed.

Amateurs frequently fall back, vets stay within the zone.

(edited by Bread.7516)

Reflects and Dungeons

Embrace The Bold.7619

So far as I recall, absorbs do work the same way as reflects do. Have you tried to block the attacks which are unreflectable now?

Actually, If you are blocking/reflecting/absorbinginvul/stability and someone NEXT to you GETS HIT without the aforementioned buffs you will fly off regardless. This is why party wide reflects and absorbs are so important at harpy.

As to you boss thing you put farther down, there are bosses that are impossible (or really stupid) to “stack” and press one iron forgeman, trees in TA, p1 boss before Ginvia in hotw, and effigy (Cof p1) to name a few. You can even use reflects on some of these bosses! :O

The Sickest Guild NA

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

Actually, If you are blocking/reflecting/absorbinginvul/stability and someone NEXT to you GETS HIT without the aforementioned buffs you will fly off regardless. This is why party wide reflects and absorbs are so important at harpy.

As to you boss thing you put farther down, there are bosses that are impossible (or really stupid) to “stack” and press one iron forgeman, trees in TA, p1 boss before Ginvia in hotw, and effigy (Cof p1) to name a few. You can even use reflects on some of these bosses! :O

I never doubt that reflects are usefull. Atlast, ANet hasn’t removed them from the game. They just have reduced their effectiveness against certain bosses.

Reflects and Dungeons

Sins.4782

Do they have to tell you that dungeons are 5 men instances or is it enough that you can’t invite a 6th into your party.
Seriously, do they have to tell you the obvious or is it enough that it doesn’t work?

They should however list those “negative” changes in the patchnotes.

You seem to be assuming what ANet’s intentions were based on the changes made. However, we have had no word on these changes at all: no clarification of intention, nor even whether these changes were intended at all. Until we receive word from the developers, we cannot be sure of their intentions.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Because every boss fight should just be 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Screw conditions, reflects, CC or god forbid… strategy.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

Could be but I doubt that.
And they did a fairly good job in forbidding any strategy outside of “lure the boss into a corner and kill it in notime”.

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

I think it’s amusing how he calls me unintelligent when I tell him not to assume.

Anyone else want to see this guy and mike get into a fight?

Fine, we do it your way. We don’t know what ANet wanted to achieve with this change.

We’re not even sure that it’s intended, and though it could very well be, it is much wiser to wait for an official response, rather than smearing non-sense all over the place.

For example, not long ago Mesmers’ distortion started providing Evade instead of Invulnerable. This made mesmers stay stuck in several non-dodgeable AoE skills, such as Eles’ Staff#4 and Guardians Hammer#5.
After a few complaints, ANET declared that it was unintended and reverted the change a few days later.

Whether these changes to reflects are unintended or not, it is not very intelligent to assume anything until an official response is given, and this thread, along with some others were created to fulfill that function.

Well, they just don’t changed one reflection skill or just one boss but multiple bosses of different types in different dungeons. If that is a bug, it’s a really huge one.
Too huge in my mind to be just a bug.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

I think it’s amusing how he calls me unintelligent when I tell him not to assume.

Anyone else want to see this guy and mike get into a fight?

Fine, we do it your way. We don’t know what ANet wanted to achieve with this change.

We’re not even sure that it’s intended, and though it could very well be, it is much wiser to wait for an official response, rather than smearing non-sense all over the place.

For example, not long ago Mesmers’ distortion started providing Evade instead of Invulnerable. This made mesmers stay stuck in several non-dodgeable AoE skills, such as Eles’ Staff#4 and Guardians Hammer#5.
After a few complaints, ANET declared that it was unintended and reverted the change a few days later.

Whether these changes to reflects are unintended or not, it is not very intelligent to assume anything until an official response is given, and this thread, along with some others were created to fulfill that function.

Well, they just don’t changed one reflection skill or just one boss but multiple bosses of different types in different dungeons. If that is a bug, it’s a really huge one.
Too huge in my mind to be just a bug.

And while that might indicate that it was done on purpose, it is still not a very prudent choice not to put words in their mouth, as none of those changes are in the patch notes. We’ll have to ask, wait and see.
There’s no need to make a kittenstorm out of this.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

@Bread: Reading that post by Hrouda I wonder if he’d still have that stance. When he wrote that that, dungeons were a very different experience where toughness was considered important. He states that if someone’s skilled enough, they should be allowed to run gear magic find gear, a gear set that was more reviled than clerics is now; back then you were considered a leecher if you weren’t geared to survive and were using magic find gear.
Now magic find gear is just plain gone and you’re considered a leech if you’re geared to survive. Dungeons have gone with minimal care for the past long while, and the veterans have learned practically all the tricks. The standard is now a singular playstyle when it was once greatly varied and full of experimentation. It makes me wonder what Mr. Hrouda would think if he saw the dungeons as they are now.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

@Bread: Reading that post by Hrouda I wonder if he’d still have that stance. When he wrote that that, dungeons were a very different experience where toughness was considered important. He states that if someone’s skilled enough, they should be allowed to run gear magic find gear, a gear set that was more reviled than clerics is now; back then you were considered a leecher if you weren’t geared to survive and were using magic find gear.
Now magic find gear is just plain gone and you’re considered a leech if you’re geared to survive. Dungeons have gone with minimal care for the past long while, and the veterans have learned practically all the tricks. The standard is now a singular playstyle when it was once greatly varied and full of experimentation. It makes me wonder what Mr. Hrouda would think if he saw the dungeons as they are now.

He would think:

Robert Hrouda

All of you dungeon forum elitists have grown into something beautiful. Thanks for continuously fighting the good fight and sticking It to ArenaNet daily. I’ve watched from the shadows and approve of all you guys do, every day, in my name and in the prophet’s.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Ninja updates with some significance reminds me the time with Alphard where people either complained about it or embraced it for its "challenge’.

Either way like half a year later they finally announce that to be a bug and “fixed”.

This might be no different. Though due to past changes like that, i’d expect no different if it does change back, it won’t happen for a long while.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Reflects and Dungeons

No Pulse.2967

He would think:

Robert Hrouda

All of you dungeon forum elitists have grown into something beautiful. Thanks for continuously fighting the good fight and sticking It to ArenaNet daily. I’ve watched from the shadows and approve of all you guys do, every day, in my name and in the prophet’s.

What if.... the prophet is Hrouda himself? *conspiracy*

5/8 Champion titles

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

He would think:

Robert Hrouda

Lilith. Can you give me something more solid and thoughtful? I’ve been a Thief since betas, so I’ve had to live through “Sorry, Thieves can’t do dungeons” getting snubbed for warriors and guardians by my own guildies, so I think it’s fair I still have some animosity towards metas.
That’s not to say I don’t run Zerk/Scholars and fiddle with my traits every hour on the hour to adapt to challenges. It’s just seeing people tell eachother, “Sorry, you’re useless” still rubs me the wrong way.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

…Bingo.

Reflects and Dungeons

Lilith Ajit.6173

He would think:

Robert Hrouda

Lilith. Can you give me something more solid and thoughtful? I’ve been a Thief since betas, so I’ve had to live through “Sorry, Thieves can’t do dungeons” getting snubbed for warriors and guardians by my own guildies, so I think it’s fair I still have some animosity towards metas.
That’s not to say I don’t run Zerk/Scholars and fiddle with my traits every hour on the hour to adapt to challenges. It’s just seeing people tell eachother, “Sorry, you’re useless” still rubs me the wrong way.

I’m sorry. My mindbrain has no solid thoughts.

My thief is pretty. And colesys. That’s all I know.

Attachments:

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

…Bingo.

Which one should that be?

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: ungascarlo.7459

ungascarlo.7459

with all these said and done, all i see is that reflection on this game is now almost useless, its like they are saying to players that special utilities like reflections are only for trash mobs and if you encounter some boss, just dps in all the way.

If the huge damage reflection is the problem then why not put a damage cap on reflects or just do something about that damage, not making a unique mechanic/utility useless and then force us to just dps the boss

@Lilith: those legs… =_=

(edited by ungascarlo.7459)

Reflects and Dungeons

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

…Bingo.

HHR is OP, bingo too easy. Lucas, pls nerf.

Attachments:

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

…Bingo.

HHR is OP, bingo too easy. Lucas, pls nerf.

No, to what field should my statement apply to? Cause I can’t see it.

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

So for all of you who’ve not understood what I wanted to tell, which are a lot I assume:

My one and only statement was and will be, that ANet made this change not primarily because the reflected damage was too high but because the whole party could hide behind those reflections without any risk involved, which countered some bosses way too hard.

This is problem is not caused by the reflections themselves but by the simple mechanics the bosses have and their few attacks.
ANet however took the easier route of nerfing reflections rather than reworking the bosses to ensure they aren’t completely countered.

I hope that made my intentions clear enough.

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

And it’s rather funny how you guys take one statement of mine out of context and start the whole flametrain again.
Such mature, much manly I assume.

Reflects and Dungeons

Lilith Ajit.6173

to be honest I stopped reading your posts when I saw the word “runned” used.

I’m so manLilith.

[ARES]

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

I’m so manLilith.

So what’s the correct term for completing a dungeon as fast as possible?
The only term I know is “running” a dungeon.

Reflects and Dungeons

Jerus.4350

I’m so manLilith.

What’s the correct term for completing a dungeon as fast as possible?

A speedclear/speedrun

But I think it’s more that “runned” is not a word (at last not one I’m familiar with), past tense of run is “ran” I assume English isn’t your first language?

Reflects and Dungeons

Lilith Ajit.6173

I’m so manLilith.

I was just looking for “ran”.

As for speed running dungeons… just that I guess.

Attachments:

[ARES]

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

I’m so manLilith.

I was just looking for “ran”.

As for speed running dungeons… just that I guess.

Ah yeah… sorry >.<"
English is not my native language but that was kinda… bad.

Reflects and Dungeons

Embrace The Bold.7619

I’m so manLilith.

speed running—> an act
speed ran—> an act in the past
speed runned—> not proper english
also ninja’ed

The Sickest Guild NA

Reflects and Dungeons

Lilith Ajit.6173

Oh and I’m fine with you not having the English language down pat (if It’s a second or whatever language) since I can’t speak any other language half so well. But when I see a huge long argument that’s really just about words and semantics I see that a language barrier is probably the source of the proverbial ticking pipe bomb.

[ARES]

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

The odd thing is that I should’ve known better. Actually I do know better but it seems like that has passed out of my mind.

Reflects and Dungeons

Lilith Ajit.6173

The odd thing is that I should’ve known better. Actually I do know better but it seems like that has passed out of my mind.

It’s cool. You’ve been on top of this thread/argument for hours now. I applaud your stamina

I’m just pretty sure most of the argument is a difference in the opinions of the meanings of words. Which would make make a whole lot of sense.

[ARES]

Reflects and Dungeons

HHR LostProphet.4801

Yes, kept this thread alive longer than necessary, I just don’t like to be “proven wrong” with flawed or trollish arguments.