[Request] Please lower LI for Legendary Armor

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

then look at how many copies of HoT sold

Link?

i dont have one but it can be derived from the earnings spike from ncsofts report for the relevant time period and is somewhere around several million. check reddit, theres always a thread on earnings there.

Sub has ~129k people.
By doing some “math” and assuming a lot of stuff like gem store sales not increasing with the release and that everyone bought cheapest version of HoT I ended up with ~ 281k – ~300k copies sold.
That’s really not that big of a difference.

thought it was more like 2-4 million.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

then look at how many copies of HoT sold

Link?

i dont have one but it can be derived from the earnings spike from ncsofts report for the relevant time period and is somewhere around several million. check reddit, theres always a thread on earnings there.

Sub has ~129k people.
By doing some “math” and assuming a lot of stuff like gem store sales not increasing with the release and that everyone bought cheapest version of HoT I ended up with ~ 281k – ~300k copies sold.
That’s really not that big of a difference.

I heavily doubt such a high percentage of people visit and then even subscribe to the GW2 subreddit.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

Im still wondering if someone from anet will come and give opinion on this here. While we are on it will anyone from anet actually consider kicking “selling” raids from lfg. Its getting anying as hell. Its hard enough to browse lfg even without those pricks. not just that those ppl take space there , but they are creating completely new set of players who link tonic but dont know what to do at any boss. This affects pug raiding , a lot.

Gems buys the gold that buy the runs you dont like to see on lfg.

Posted by: Hypairion.9210

Hypairion.9210

Im still wondering if someone from anet will come and give opinion on this here. While we are on it will anyone from anet actually consider kicking “selling” raids from lfg. Its getting anying as hell. Its hard enough to browse lfg even without those pricks. not just that those ppl take space there , but they are creating completely new set of players who link tonic but dont know what to do at any boss. This affects pug raiding , a lot.

Dont generalize your case pls…i think most of the buyers are hard core farmers or tp barons, more than people like you exhanging gems to gold.
And there is nothing wrong with that.

eldrin.6471

Dont generalize your case pls…i think most of the buyers are hard core farmers or tp barons, more than people like you exhanging gems to gold.

Its a fact that i bought thousands of UK pounds worth of gems to get the insights for this armour..But you prefer to fantasize that this gold comes from tp flipers..And its not possible to farm the gold needed for 150 insights.all i do is farm gold in this game and 100g a day dont touch the 35k gold needed for insights.as a side note the gold i had to buy got me rank 15 on gw2 efficiency

(edited by eldrin.6471)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Its a fact that i bought thousands of UK pounds worth of gems to get the insights for this armour..But you prefer to fantasize that this gold comes from tp flipers..And its not possible to farm the gold needed for 150 insights.all i do is farm gold in this game and 100g a day dont touch the 35k gold needed for insights.as a side note the gold i had to buy got me rank 15 on gw2 efficiency

It is possible to obtain enough gold weekly to purchase an entire raid clear without converting gems to gold.

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Hey all,

Can we stop with this 5% bogus nonsense? It’s definitely much higher than that. Indications from the frequent reddit polls that come up suggest that about 20% have tried and liked Raids, but there’s a large percent (around 45%) would like to at least get into them. I believe everyone knows the reddit poll I am referring to, and I think it’s a decent indicator of interest in raids in general.

Thanks!

lol 20-45%.

yeah not even 1/2 of the playerbase cares enough to look at reddit. and most of the people who dont are casuals who are prolly not interested in raids, meaning any survey of redditors will be heavily skewed towards showing extra interest in raids.

You cannot back up this claim. Furthermore when I am looking at the data I am not thinking ‘Well shoot, this game only has around 4000 people playing’ rather instead we can choose that as a decent sample size for the GW2 population. There’s a possibility the reddit community has a bias for raids, and a same possibility that they might have no interest in raids (This was one of the answers polled, it was about 40% had no interest in raiding whatsoever).

However, given all that’s been said relevant to GW2 raiding from the devs who admitted seeing higher than anticipated raid participation, the near constant stream of LFM/LFGs for Raiding akin to the old days of Dungeoneering, the praise/hate for raids in general…the thought that only 5% of the population has a constant interest or would repeat the content becomes less and less likely.

That 5% value actually came from someone introducing WoW’s Raid Statistics too, which makes it even more questionable.

i can back up that claim. look at the subs to /r/guildwars2. then look at how many copies of HoT sold. theres an order of magnitude of difference and it will give you a ballpark that clearly shows my statement is not wrong.

The only issue with your statement here is that reddit doesn’t restrict subreddits from being viewable unless you are subbed. I am not subbed to /r/guildwars2 or any subreddit yet I am able to participate in polls/surveys as well as read the comments.

Sub count is not a statistic you can use to verify how many players look at reddit, you can only get a gauge on how many players feel the need to have a forum to discuss GW2 on that’s not these official forums.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

insanemaniac.2456

Hey all,

Can we stop with this 5% bogus nonsense? It’s definitely much higher than that. Indications from the frequent reddit polls that come up suggest that about 20% have tried and liked Raids, but there’s a large percent (around 45%) would like to at least get into them. I believe everyone knows the reddit poll I am referring to, and I think it’s a decent indicator of interest in raids in general.

Thanks!

lol 20-45%.

yeah not even 1/2 of the playerbase cares enough to look at reddit. and most of the people who dont are casuals who are prolly not interested in raids, meaning any survey of redditors will be heavily skewed towards showing extra interest in raids.

You cannot back up this claim. Furthermore when I am looking at the data I am not thinking ‘Well shoot, this game only has around 4000 people playing’ rather instead we can choose that as a decent sample size for the GW2 population. There’s a possibility the reddit community has a bias for raids, and a same possibility that they might have no interest in raids (This was one of the answers polled, it was about 40% had no interest in raiding whatsoever).

However, given all that’s been said relevant to GW2 raiding from the devs who admitted seeing higher than anticipated raid participation, the near constant stream of LFM/LFGs for Raiding akin to the old days of Dungeoneering, the praise/hate for raids in general…the thought that only 5% of the population has a constant interest or would repeat the content becomes less and less likely.

That 5% value actually came from someone introducing WoW’s Raid Statistics too, which makes it even more questionable.

i can back up that claim. look at the subs to /r/guildwars2. then look at how many copies of HoT sold. theres an order of magnitude of difference and it will give you a ballpark that clearly shows my statement is not wrong.

The only issue with your statement here is that reddit doesn’t restrict subreddits from being viewable unless you are subbed. I am not subbed to /r/guildwars2 or any subreddit yet I am able to participate in polls/surveys as well as read the comments.

Sub count is not a statistic you can use to verify how many players look at reddit, you can only get a gauge on how many players feel the need to have a forum to discuss GW2 on that’s not these official forums.

the game is free to play and does not require purchasing HoT to play, just as the reddit is free to read and does not require subbing. the qualifications are comparable.

eldrin.6471

It is possible to obtain enough gold weekly to purchase an entire raid clear without converting gems to gold.

In a game were you can buy gems and convert to gold that also allows the selling of runs you do not think gem sales pay for runs?no you would rather believe that this gold is being farmed or thats its tp flipers buying runs.you do know santa is not real.
was it not intended that legendary weapons be sold on the TP?the only difference here is you cant buy this armour from third party gold selling sites.

(edited by eldrin.6471)

Posted by: Hypairion.9210

Hypairion.9210

In a game were you can buy gems and convert to gold that also allows the selling of runs you do not think gem sales pay for runs?no you would rather believe that this gold is being farmed or thats its tp flipers buying runs.you do know santa is not real.
was it not intended that legendary weapons be sold on the TP?the only difference here is you cant buy this armour from third party gold selling sites.

Do you really think many people like you exist? Willing to spend several thousand euros / dollars whatever for some pixels ? Don’t make me laugh pls…whales like you are pretty uncommon…

eldrin.6471

Do you really think many people like you exist? Willing to spend several thousand euros / dollars whatever for some pixels ? Don’t make me laugh pls…whales like you are pretty uncommon…

Ye thats crazy,but what about spending thousands and thousands of real hours is that crazy? i have spent a lot more hours in this game than money.what one is more crazy.
some of you guys are just deluded.lets pretend this game isnt designed around making money from gem sales.and lets pretend im the only one buys them.

(edited by eldrin.6471)

Sykper.6583

Hey all,

Thanks!

lol 20-45%.

the game is free to play and does not require purchasing HoT to play, just as the reddit is free to read and does not require subbing. the qualifications are comparable.

Your original statement again was suggesting that not even half of players read the GW2 subreddit, to counter my argument referring to the statistical charts and polls made by the public reddit posts that both subs and non-subs can participate in.

You only pointed out sub-count on that subreddit (of which you even admit is not required to read) versus the number of actual copies of HoT sold (you admit earlier you do not have the approximation rather we can go by the NCSoft profits) as some factor which describes how a majority of players do not read or care about the subreddit, which again to repeat does not need subs to be able to participate in its content like polls and surveys.

Do you understand what I am saying here? The survey with a few thousand sample sized players, that was a general survey of the playerbase, not of /r/guildwars2.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Ayrilana.1396

As I said, it is possible to obtain enough gold weekly to purchase an entire raid clear without converting gems to gold.

Posted by: ryandeniszorro.6735

ryandeniszorro.6735

I may been a bit hars on ppl selling raids , but i still think its bad. When person buy raid it does not contribute to raid but worse does not contribute to himself. Even worse, it leads to ppl having tonic or w/e but are completely dumbfounded doing matt , sloth or so.
I personally dont care if anet say , here 50k gems is legi armor , buy it, it does not affect me or my effort toward it. But when i lfg and i find 150+ li ppl not know what is corruption or what is poison on mat for example , and ruining raid it affect me a lot.
So here is why i see one more reason for less li for armor as fine – me and likes of me who pug raid but wish to play with skilled ppl, would have less of problem get ok team.
In general when i sit and think, main reason that i hate raiding lately is li req, little to no skilled players pretending to know leading to fail.
So ye i dont care if ppl get free legi as far as i care but if i can have fun getting mine.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I may been a bit hars on ppl selling raids , but i still think its bad. When person buy raid it does not contribute to raid but worse does not contribute to himself. Even worse, it leads to ppl having tonic or w/e but are completely dumbfounded doing matt , sloth or so.
I personally dont care if anet say , here 50k gems is legi armor , buy it, it does not affect me or my effort toward it. But when i lfg and i find 150+ li ppl not know what is corruption or what is poison on mat for example , and ruining raid it affect me a lot.
So here is why i see one more reason for less li for armor as fine – me and likes of me who pug raid but wish to play with skilled ppl, would have less of problem get ok team.
In general when i sit and think, main reason that i hate raiding lately is li req, little to no skilled players pretending to know leading to fail.
So ye i dont care if ppl get free legi as far as i care but if i can have fun getting mine.

It’s because those 150+ are using codes from gw2ninja website to lie to you lol. Pretty much nobody above 150 is going to be a super baddy that doesn’t know what poison on mat is. I mean they might not be a good player but they’d know what the hell it is at 150 insights at this point in time.

LI checks are kinda like the old AP checks in dungeon, useful sometimes but bad idea to completely rely on it.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

(edited by fishball.7204)

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I would normally agree with you but considering the lack of options Anet give ppl who want a legendary armor it becomes clear, and quite legitimate, that farming in the real world as opposed the virtual one is going to be a phenomenon. I hope Anet will be wise about that tho because they could burn themselves if they just want to milk the cow to death. People will remember the options Anet had and the choice they made with the consequences it lead to for the players. Using legendary armor as a reward for the raid is one thing. Using it as a carrot is quite another. Forcing ppl through content they hate to reach anything they desire will never be a good idea in the long term. They made the same mistake with the pvp back item albeit a much less important mistake since you had access to other source of legendary back item elsewhere. These items should no be tied to a game mode IMO. A game mode should simply be one possible path to them.

The problem the huge majority of ppl have with raids isn’t the content itself being hard (Personally, it could still be harder and I’d have no issue with it). It’s the logistic they have to indulge into to even try them in any meaningful ways. Being able to complete raids is first and foremost a question of being privileged (in the game context) and then a question of skill.

(edited by Sirbeaumerdier.3740)

insanemaniac.2456

Hey all,

Thanks!

lol 20-45%.

Your original statement again was suggesting that not even half of players read the GW2 subreddit, to counter my argument referring to the statistical charts and polls made by the public reddit posts that both subs and non-subs can participate in.

You only pointed out sub-count on that subreddit (of which you even admit is not required to read) versus the number of actual copies of HoT sold (you admit earlier you do not have the approximation rather we can go by the NCSoft profits) as some factor which describes how a majority of players do not read or care about the subreddit, which again to repeat does not need subs to be able to participate in its content like polls and surveys.

Do you understand what I am saying here? The survey with a few thousand sample sized players, that was a general survey of the playerbase, not of /r/guildwars2.

yes i understand what you are saying. you are wrong. it is a survey of reddit, not of the general playerbase. reddit users are more invested in the game and will be more likely to seek out hard content. if they cared less about the game, they wouldnt visit reddit, like the majority of people.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I could see 150 LI if there were a plethora of interesting and different raids to do, professions actually had good roles to build and play, difficulty settings were implemented, build savers/slots/whatever were put in…, but this 150 requirement means you have to tediously beat up these same bosses 150 times…

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Ayrilana.1396

I could see 150 LI if there were a plethora of interesting and different raids to do, professions actually had good roles to build and play, difficulty settings were implemented, build savers/slots/whatever were put in…, but this 150 requirement means you have to tediously beat up these same bosses 150 times…

Which there will be other raids to do and earn LI in. Anet could have just held back legendary armor until there were 3-4 raids available so that those complaining about the “grind” for optional equipment would have less to complain about. The number is likely balanced in regards to the longterm.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Which there will be other raids to do and earn LI in. Anet could have just held back legendary armor until there were 3-4 raids available so that those complaining about the “grind” for optional equipment would have less to complain about. The number is likely balanced in regards to the longterm.

Yes, in another year we may have 1 more full raid according to release schedules…

The number is “balanced” only to extend the life of this 1 raid as much as possible due to lack of raid content. I’m not judging, but this is the Anet way of doing things.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

Is there any reason to assume that future raids will even drop legendary insights? I’d say it’s more likely that a new raid would have a different ultimate reward altogether and that the current armor will remain tied to the forsaken thicket.

Anet does have a tendency to balance things for the long term (e.g. magnetite reward upon release), but I haven’t seen any evidence suggesting that this particular legendary armor will be obtainable in any way outside of the forsaken thicket.

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Is there any reason to assume that future raids will even drop legendary insights? I’d say it’s more likely that a new raid would have a different ultimate reward altogether and that the current armor will remain tied to the forsaken thicket.

Anet does have a tendency to balance things for the long term (e.g. magnetite reward upon release), but I haven’t seen any evidence suggesting that this particular legendary armor will be obtainable in any way outside of the forsaken thicket.

I think it is a good thing to have that particular skin tied to THAT raid since there is a story around that ties it to THAT raid. The only beef I have is that we can’t get a legendary armor outside of THAT game mode. Having to carry 3 sets of ascended armor irks me a lot and would have welcomed the opportunity to make some space in my bags.

Ayrilana.1396

Yes, in another year we may have 1 more full raid according to release schedules…

The number is “balanced” only to extend the life of this 1 raid as much as possible due to lack of raid content. I’m not judging, but this is the Anet way of doing things.

It only seems that way when looking at it in the short term which is how most players tend to look. It won’t be the case as they had more raids. We very well could see the first wing of the next raid this fall. Keep in mind that many raiders have been doing this since last November. The very successful ones have already reached the 150 LI needed for all six pieces while others are well on their way.

Ayrilana.1396

Anet has stated that raids will have themed legendary armor. This was before release during one of their live streams. The insights are pretty generic so there’s no reason to assume that they’re just for this raid only. This particular armor will not be able to obtained outside of this raid due to the raid specific collection.

Sykper.6583

Hey all,

Thanks!

lol 20-45%.

yes i understand what you are saying. you are wrong. it is a survey of reddit, not of the general playerbase.

We will agree to disagree then. I’ve already laid out my arguments why it’s not a survey of reddit, and since you understand where I come from and disagree, this line of discussion is at a close.

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Anet has stated that raids will have themed legendary armor. This was before release during one of their live streams. The insights are pretty generic so there’s no reason to assume that they’re just for this raid only. This particular armor will not be able to obtained outside of this raid due to the raid specific collection.

And it makes sense to continue with that pattern – Precursor from a themed collection, Legendary crafting process kept identical.

And I know there are a lot of naysayers saying “Lol, good luck seeing another raid any time soon”, but I have faith in the raid team that they’ll maintain their release pacing.

insanemaniac.2456

Hey all,

Thanks!

lol 20-45%.

yes i understand what you are saying. you are wrong. it is a survey of reddit, not of the general playerbase.

We will agree to disagree then. I’ve already laid out my arguments why it’s not a survey of reddit, and since you understand where I come from and disagree, this line of discussion is at a close.

yeah ok. sure. every survey done on reddit has a disclaimer that is some form of “well, this is targeted at gw2/mmo/______ players, but im only posting this on reddit so take that as you will” which is a pretty obvious nod to the fact that the reddit userbase is not the gw2 playerbase. ask literally any surveyor. so yeah, feel free to disagree and continue being obstinate in the face of standard survey practices (“know your audience”). i cant stop you.

Sykper.6583

Hey all,

Thanks!

lol 20-45%.

yeah ok. sure. every survey done on reddit has a disclaimer that is some form of “well, this is targeted at gw2/mmo/______ players, but im only posting this on reddit so take that as you will” which is a pretty obvious nod to the fact that the reddit userbase is not the gw2 playerbase. ask literally any surveyor. so yeah, feel free to disagree and continue being obstinate in the face of standard survey practices (“know your audience”). i cant stop you.

Lol, here I am trying to be polite here and reasonably end the discussion as I have proven where my standpoint acts from and where yours is also potentially true.

Let’s start from the top then, you wanted to keep this going, as if you have any idea what the /r/guildwars2 users actually consist of. Roll it back to your full quote before:

yes i understand what you are saying. you are wrong. it is a survey of reddit, not of the general playerbase. reddit users are more invested in the game and will be more likely to seek out hard content. if they cared less about the game, they wouldnt visit reddit, like the majority of people.

It is true that reddit users have a bit more interest in the game to create a sub and post in a separate forum format. It is hilariously not true that they seek hard content, have you even been paying attention to the typical reddit posts that actively get posts, or get upvotes versus downvotes? Literally last week during some of the heavier raid discourse there were ‘Raids are awesome’ threads being overwhelmingly downvoted, by those reddit users who could use the downvote, to wipe out anything related to a positive in raiding.

In actuality, there’s a substantial size of that subreddit that absolutely despises raids to the point of toxicity. Furthermore there’s no clear indicator that you have to sub to /r/guildwars2 to be actively involved in how the game turns out, you only need to look at these official forums for that.

And your claim that ‘Every single poll / survey carries a disclaimer’ is not true at all, there’s no need for that when the survey is simply posted on reddit, it speaks for itself. What that also means is that non-subs who see the survey on the reddit if they were curious enough to visit the site can also vote, as I said before. The intent of the survey was that /r/guildwars2 might be the only people that vote, but anyone and their mother who visited the site with some knowledge of the subject matter could vote. This survey could have easily been done on any medium like the official forums here that has the target audience being GW2 players, /r/guildwars2 is a better alternative as there’s less requirements to participate and it is an external site.

I can’t stop you from disagreeing with me, but I will stop ignorance spreading.

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

insanemaniac.2456

And your claim that ‘Every single poll / survey carries a disclaimer’ is not true at all, there’s no need for that when the survey is simply posted on reddit, it speaks for itself. What that also means is that non-subs who see the survey on the reddit if they were curious enough to visit the site can also vote, as I said before. The intent of the survey was that /r/guildwars2 might be the only people that vote, but anyone and their mother who visited the site with some knowledge of the subject matter could vote. This survey could have easily been done on any medium like the official forums here that has the target audience being GW2 players, /r/guildwars2 is a better alternative as there’s less requirements to participate and it is an external site.

way to contradict your own argument bro. here you go saying the reddit audience is the reddit audience and not the general gw2 playerbase.

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

And it makes sense to continue with that pattern – Precursor from a themed collection, Legendary crafting process kept identical.

And I know there are a lot of naysayers saying “Lol, good luck seeing another raid any time soon”, but I have faith in the raid team that they’ll maintain their release pacing.

I remember they said that raids can vary in size. So they might also add duo or single boss raids.

Rashy.4165

I remember they said that raids can vary in size. So they might also add duo or single boss raids.

They’ve said that they may release a full raid with only one wing, if the story necessitates it. Of course, that could still mean fewer than 3 bosses (technically, Wing 2/3 are 2 bosses and one “encounter”).

Posted by: Lendruil.9061

Lendruil.9061

Instead of lowering the amount of LIs they should rather make the blodstone-infused ectoplasm a guaranted drop, otherwise I still won’t have it til they release legendary armor…

Skuldin - No Hesitation [hT]

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I still don’t see why this is such a big issue to some players. You can use the time it takes to get your LI to gather up the rest of the materials you need.

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Anet values reddit opinions way more than forum ones, if you will look at their answer frequency. Just saying.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Sykper.6583

The intent of the survey was that /r/guildwars2 might be the only people that vote, but anyone and their mother who visited the site with some knowledge of the subject matter could vote. This survey could have easily been done on any medium like the official forums here that has the target audience being GW2 players, /r/guildwars2 is a better alternative as there’s less requirements to participate and it is an external site.

way to contradict your own argument bro. here you go saying the reddit audience is the reddit audience and not the general gw2 playerbase.

I don’t know how you gleamed that from my message. So I shortened my quote to assist your reading comprehension issues to where I believe you are making the argument. If you want to promote a survey on a game with multiple different sites dedicated to it, you choose one of the most visited. However as I said there’s no way to filter out who participates. Normally that would be a standard survey practice, but the parameter that as long as you visit the GW2 reddit, you potentially have a say in the discussion and are likely a part of the general gw2 playerbase. There’s zero chance you can go on a sub vs no sub basis here, like you claim.

Now, if you are done with your retorts that seem to only react when I make an argument, maybe you can try some critical thinking skills and create an actual counter-argument other than ‘No you are wrong’.

Otherwise, I wish to get back to the task at hand for LI discussion.

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

insanemaniac.2456

The intent of the survey was that /r/guildwars2 might be the only people that vote, but anyone and their mother who visited the site with some knowledge of the subject matter could vote. This survey could have easily been done on any medium like the official forums here that has the target audience being GW2 players, /r/guildwars2 is a better alternative as there’s less requirements to participate and it is an external site.

I don’t know how you gleamed that from my message. So I shortened my quote to assist your reading comprehension issues to where I believe you are making the argument. If you want to promote a survey on a game with multiple different sites dedicated to it, you choose one of the most visited. However as I said there’s no way to filter out who participates. Normally that would be a standard survey practice, but the parameter that as long as you visit the GW2 reddit, you potentially have a say in the discussion and are likely a part of the general gw2 playerbase. There’s zero chance you can go on a sub vs no sub basis here, like you claim.

Now, if you are done with your retorts that seem to only react when I make an argument, maybe you can try some critical thinking skills and create an actual counter-argument other than ‘No you are wrong’.

it isnt worth my time to write pages upon pages about how wrong you are and how you contradict yourself. you have a problem. you have a disconnect between understanding standard survey practices and understanding that the gw2 playerbase is not the reddit userbase and that you cannot call one base to be the other. you understand one of these and dont understand the other. and for some reason you keep writing things that show you have some kind of understanding but still refuse to apply it. it reminds me very strongly of other real world arguments with zealots. its silly.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

This thread is hopeless. That’s not to say that the topic isn’t worth discussing — constructively. But at this point it feels like everyone here is just arguing for the sake of arguing.

NSPride <3

Sykper.6583

it isnt worth my time to write pages upon pages about how wrong you are and how you contradict yourself. you have a problem. you have a disconnect between understanding standard survey practices and understanding that the gw2 playerbase is not the reddit userbase and that you cannot call one base to be the other. you understand one of these and dont understand the other. and for some reason you keep writing things that show you have some kind of understanding but still refuse to apply it. it reminds me very strongly of other real world arguments with zealots. its silly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

insanemaniac.2456

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

no, it isn’t ad hominem when you keep conflating the gw2 playerbase and the reddit userbase and I refuse to expound on why it’s wrong to do so especially when you yourself realize that the process of doing so is outside of standard surveying techniques but refuse to apply that understanding to the situation at hand.

ad hominem is if i call you stupid for saying it, and im not doing that.

Rashy.4165

There’s no “conflation” going on here.

The GW2 playerbase is the entire population of players. The reddit userbase is a sample. These are standard statistical terms.

While the sample doesn’t necessarily and accurately represent the entire population (due to bias – again, another statistical term), it’s the closest approximation we’ll get to the actual numbers (only ArenaNets metrics will reveal actual numbers for the entire population of players).

The only way we’ll know actual numbers is if the survey was sent to every player upon login and completed in game, with the numbers revealed publicly. That is about as close as it gets to a census (since you can’t guarantee every active player will complete an in-game survey). The other option would be for ArenaNet to flat out reveal the numbers.

Posted by: Will.9785

Will.9785

The number is fine. Locking them behind raids is not. I can’t even find a good fractal group half the time. I won’t even think about raids unless I had a dedicated group.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Yeah gee who would’ve thought locking the RAID legendary armor behind RAIDS was a good idea /s

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

insanemaniac.2456

The GW2 playerbase is the entire population of players. The reddit userbase is a sample. These are standard statistical terms.

While the sample doesn’t necessarily and accurately represent the entire population (due to bias – again, another statistical term), it’s the closest approximation we’ll get to the actual numbers (only ArenaNets metrics will reveal actual numbers for the entire population of players).

The only way we’ll know actual numbers is if the survey was sent to every player upon login and completed in game, with the numbers revealed publicly. That is about as close as it gets to a census (since you can’t guarantee every active player will complete an in-game survey). The other option would be for ArenaNet to flat out reveal the numbers.

yeah, and the reddit bias is that people on reddit care more about the game in general than the entire playerbase (which means that you will be more likely to run into people interested in raids than you would if you are sampling from the general playerbase). thats not a statement i can quantify, but its extremely likely to be true to some extent because it is simply logical. raiding is the “hard” content that requires extensive game knowledge to complete successfully. people not interested in or heavily invested in the game will be less likely to want to raid, and those are the people more likely to be missing from reddit.

Sykper.6583

yeah, and the reddit bias is that people on reddit care more about the game in general than the entire playerbase (which means that you will be more likely to run into people interested in raids than you would if you are sampling from the general playerbase). thats not a statement i can quantify, but its extremely likely to be true to some extent because it is simply logical. raiding is the “hard” content that requires extensive game knowledge to complete successfully. people not interested in or heavily invested in the game will be less likely to want to raid, and those are the people more likely to be missing from reddit.

Finally something we can work with. So there’s a presumption that /r/guildwars2 reddit has the capacity to have more players that are knowledgeable about the game posting in it, thus a greater likelihood that a good number of them are potentially hard core to the point of being heavily invested into raids.

That’s a decent assumption, but one neither one of us can ever prove. The only prospect we can work with on that angle is the interest / threads posted about Raid specific things, compared to everything else being posted. We would have to look at the average amount of things like ‘qT Matthias Speed Kill’ being posted, the amount of posts about that topic, compared to when someone posts a funny screenshot or a bug elsewhere. The reason we can work with those numbers is because it’s our best course to see just how much discussion is made over raid topics versus other content.

Then we could factor in things like votes on posts, where although that might show interest in raiding, it could show the more opinionated side of reddit and how the posters feel.

….But this has been sort of done already weeks ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4panwo/poll_does_rguildwars2_raid/

I extremely doubt anyone else is going to mess around with this Strawpoll way too many pages back, which means that more or less the results are kind of final. I’ll let you have a look at those results.

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Moderator

[This conversation appears to have run its course. Thank you for the feedback and discussion. It is now closed.]