Revamp Boon Range for DUNGEONS

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Hamartia.3421

Hamartia.3421

This is going to sound like a big change, but I really think that if Anet changed this, it would be hard to imagine it being any other way.

In order to increase the viability of diverse builds for every single class in the game, and to de-emphasize the requirement that we play only melee and close ranged builds…

Anet should remove boon range in Dungeons only. All 5 party members will receive all boons as if they are in melee range. Alternatively, they could just make the range HUGE for dungeon content.

New boon appears on your characters in a dungeon: Harmonized. Allies receive boons regardless of range.

Why?

I’ll use Rangers as an example. (Although this applies to some degree to Staff Eles, Greatsword Mesmers, Scepter Guardians, LB/rifle warriors, etc) Anet buffed Longbow last patch, so I assume they want players to be using it.

Let’s assume rangers and GS/axe+mace warriors do identical damage. That is obviously not the case.

The group is 3 Warriors, 1 ele, 1 Longbow ranger.

The ranger is pewpewing away.

The warriors are using FGJ. The Elementalist is using Scepter/dagger and stacking might.

And the Ranger is getting none of those buffs because they are standing at 1000+ range, as the game requires them to in order to do maximum damage.

Assuming 2500 power, the ranger is losing out on 35% damage from Might, and 10-20% damage from fury.

A Longbow that does identical damage to Warriors actually does 45-55% less damage in a group situation.

As long as boons remain location-based, ranged weapons like the Longbow can never be viable, and all players are forced to remain in melee range.

Some players are going to say: Ranged is easier, it should be less damage. Well, it already is, by a ton. Ranger sword does 26% more damage than Longbow, everything else being equal.

Boons would just make more ranged weapons and more builds viable; it wouldn’t necessarily make them equal.

Suggestions Forum Thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Revamp-Boon-Range-for-DUNGEONS/first#post2318135

Reddit Thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1hc19f/suggestion_revamp_boon_range_for_dungeon_content/

(edited by Hamartia.3421)

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

Why not just melee and do more ST damage and ckeave…..

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

You could always just have people melee. I’ve heard that it’s risky, but a good strategy if you can pull it off. I’m not very good at it yet, though :/

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: goldentale.6974

goldentale.6974

I really have a feeling ANET doesn’t have the ability to do this.

Think about how bad they’ve jacked the Ranger since BETA for sPvP / tPvP / WvW… If they had the ability to “tweak skills” based upon the environment they were in you’d thought they would have by now.

Either they are:

A) Incredibly Stupid to not have thought about this before
B) Incredibly Stupid, and can’t read any of the 10’s of thousands of posts to suggest different skills based on different environments
C) Incredibly Stupid; they thought they would be the first game ever who could properly balance PvE with PvP
D) Incredibly Stupid; they didn’t think about this at all in regards to range / melee mixed groups.

Honestly, and I would love to give them the benefit of the doubt but their track record is horrible. ANET seems to have it in for Rangers, so they enjoy the fact that as you state buffs and lb won’t mix.

Additionally, they couldn’t care less they about facts and things that counter their little sterile test environment that shows oh no they’re right on par with what they should be.

I’ve lost faith in their ability to fix problems, especially when it comes to the ranger and I never was a flavor of the month, bm specced ranger, so my panties weren’t in a bunch when they took it away.

Still, the least favorable class in PvE.

Your idea is great, they will never do it though because they couldn’t care less about us.

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Don’t be such a girl, you want the boons get in there and earn them, get in there and melee you coward.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Posted by: goldentale.6974

goldentale.6974

Don’t be such a girl, you want the boons get in there and earn them, get in there and melee you coward.

Just curious, and I do not know the OP. Do you possibly know how to read?

He/She had a good point. The Ranger’s LB has been buffed to where it is now “supposed to be used” even though it is still laughable comparably. Can’t use it because if you are within range of the buffs you’re nerfing your damage output.

So I guess what you meant to say is,

“The longbow shouldn’t be in the game.”

FTFY

Hamartia.3421

I melee on all 5 of my classes. =)

That is sorta the problem. A lot of the games potential PVE variety is thrown away because of boons.

Moreover, it just feels off to me— lots of people prefer ranged, and I kinda prefer not to be stacked with 4 other people in melee range.

In sPvP and WvW, the way boons work makes PERFECT sense and to me, feels like a very fair balance of risk/reward.

In PVE, it just feels like some builds/weapons are punished.

(edited by Hamartia.3421)

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

I’d rather people just be discouraged from camping ranged at this point in time as it’s clear they contribute less dps this way. I get annoyed when I’m on guardian and people aren’t in range of shouts because they are sitting around in the back slacking off, I used to to run back and forth giving them buffs, now though, they miss out, not my problem they if wont melee.

As annoying as it is, for someone like me who provides boons too see people out of range not receiving those boons, there’s two scenarios- Either I’m not standing in the right place, or the person not receiving the boons is not standing in the right place.

Imo, if you want to give people boons for sitting at ranged, then ranged should contribute as much dps as melee and carry the same risk. But it doesn’t and probably never will. It’s a risk/reward thing, same as spvp and wvw. You want buffs, you stand in melee and you do your best. If you’re at ranged, trying to avoid confrontation then you don’t need any supportive buffs and you don’t deserve any offensive buffs.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Lower damage at range is to punish poo-butt babbies who can’t play in melee. DWI.

Retired. Too many casuals.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

poo-butt babbies

10/10

Going to have to start calling people that

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Interesting thing is, how come we never see GS mesmers suggesting anything like this?

Actually, now I think about it, rangers just need a decent melee weapon. Decent enough to make ranger players want to swap to it and melee their targets when they want to kill something fast.

Oceanic [LOD]

Hamartia.3421

I think the posts who disagree with this are basically saying, “I WANT ranged to do 75% less damage in group situations than melee”.

Ranged being significantly worse, fine, but the current situation is making about 50% of the weapons in the game completely non-viable when they could be decent.

I’m not trying to suggest something that will have any effect on min/max groups.

This is a change that would make casual players who choose the weapon they want for fun not be a complete failure for their teams. All the Rifle Warriors, LB rangers, etc.

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

Dolan pls.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

He/She had a good point. The Ranger’s LB has been buffed to where it is now “supposed to be used” even though it is still laughable comparably. Can’t use it because if you are within range of the buffs you’re nerfing your damage output.

FTFY

The longbow’s damage is still inferior to shortbow damage in most circumstances.

A ranger using a longbow in a dungeon is agood indication you need to kick him, just as much as using a subpar DPS pet like bear or ranged pets instead of drake is another reason for kicking the ranger.

Hamartia.3421

FTFY

The longbow’s damage is still inferior to shortbow damage in most circumstances.

A ranger using a longbow in a dungeon is agood indication you need to kick him, just as much as using a subpar DPS pet like bear or ranged pets instead of drake is another reason for kicking the ranger.

Longbow rangers usually have a SWORD, the highest DPS weapon, as their offhand, because longbow doesnt deal condition damage and synergizes better with sword.

In ideal circumstances, Longbow does great damage considering its low risk play style. A longbow ranger who swaps to sword/warhorn and only uses longbow in ideal circumstances is just fine compared to what rangers are capable of. Still weak compared to other classes.

Broadicea.8294

A ranger… is agood indication you need to kick him

ftfy

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

I think the posts who disagree with this are basically saying, “I WANT ranged to do 75% less damage in group situations than melee”.

Yes.
Risk vs reward wise, ranged is far less risky than melee with this game mechanics (with the exception of a couple boss like TA F/U). It’s perfectly fine for ranged players to be punished if they don’t want to learn how to melee.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

FTFY

Longbow rangers usually have a SWORD, the highest DPS weapon, as their offhand, because longbow doesnt deal condition damage and synergizes better with sword.

In ideal circumstances, Longbow does great damage considering its low risk play style. A longbow ranger who swaps to sword/warhorn and only uses longbow in ideal circumstances is just fine compared to what rangers are capable of. Still weak compared to other classes.

There are no ideal circumstances. Why spam longbow when you can burn a boss down at melee? Melee dps > ranged dps, stop trying to defend a trash class that has been proven to be trash in dungeons.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Zenith.7301

Yes.
Risk vs reward wise, ranged is far less risky than melee with this game mechanics (with the exception of a couple boss like TA F/U). It’s perfectly fine for ranged players to be punished if they don’t want to learn how to melee.

But the risk is trivialized when you bring guardians, so what’s the point? Melee SHOULD be risky, and actually in most circumstances it is not. Fractal 48 ascalonian general and to a lesser extent mossman/archdiviner are a bit more punishing, but the rest are easy to faceroll in melee.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

But the risk is trivialized when you bring guardians, so what’s the point? Melee SHOULD be risky, and actually in most circumstances it is not. Fractal 48 ascalonian general and to a lesser extent mossman/archdiviner are a bit more punishing, but the rest are easy to faceroll in melee.

It’s captain, not general.

Zenith.7301

It’s captain, not general.

Yes, my führer.

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

Generic sarcastic response which will have a small amount of constructive value and a great amount of arrogance. No idea why I keep checking this forum, looking for a weekly dose of drama maybe.

[DnT]

swiftpaw.6397

Generic sarcastic response which will have a small amount of constructive value and a great amount of arrogance. No idea why I keep checking this forum, looking for a weekly dose of drama maybe.

Sometimes it’s the small things, like forum drama, that keep me playing this stale game.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Sometimes it’s the small things, like forum drama, that keep me playing this stale game.

I hate your family and Ranger is the best class in Guild Wars 2.

Brazil

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

If Brazil says so it must be true.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

swiftpaw.6397

I hate your family and Ranger is the best class in Guild Wars 2.

You warm the c0kles of my heart

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

If Brazil says so it must be true.

I have multiple videos on my youtube channel that prove Rangers are overpowered.

Brazil

colesy.8490

I feel like just linking your videos whenever people say rangers do decent DPS now.

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

I understand that this would help sloppy PUGs that want to leech of others’ builds, leading to less pain for the overall group, but if you don’t plan to play with the group, then trait accordingly.

Eles, for example, can get might for every fire spell cast. With boon duration gear and Fire XII, you can keep up approximately 15 stacks of might on yourself at 1200 range, and you never have to swap attunements. Rangers, sure, may get 5-6 stacks on themselves at max range, but their pets (which tend to stray closer to melee) can get 15-20 with Skirmishing V (Companion’s Might) and a few other traits. Engis also have their might stacking HGH build. And let’s not forget about the Sigil of Battle and Sigil of Strength.

It doesn’t even take an elitist group to plan beforehand to get some might on your characters – my ele’s opening S/D rotation maybe requires someone to stand within 300 range of me (in melee) for maybe 5 – 10 seconds to get an easy 15 stacks of might (lasting about 20-30 seconds) and minute of fury. Then run to 1200 range and pewpew away.

Broadicea.8294

sloppy PUGs

plan beforehand

Does not compute.

Hamartia.3421

People arguing against this want the game to remain melee-only. First MMO I’ve ever played where “ranged” wasn’t an option.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

People arguing against this want the game to remain melee-only. First MMO I’ve ever played where “ranged” wasn’t an option.

It’s an option, it’s just a really slow one and a lot of people don’t have time for it.

Brazil

swiftpaw.6397

The game wants people to remain melee. If ranged did the same damage i’d be chilling at range too, I’m a lazy kitten motherkitten. But it doesn’t, so melee it is.

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

That’s why being ranged from too far is being a weight for the party. I particularly hate those noob SB/LB rangers pewpewing from the furthest they can, absolutely not contributing to the party …
Be within acceptable range = contribute more, benefit from boons, have your allies benefit from your boons.
I love the way it is, it rewards players who deserve it only.
You don’t even have to melee, just like 600 range is enough.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Maybe it’s because fighting at range is so much safer in this game.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

Safer is irrelevant. This has been proven by the abundant use of berserker gear. So essentially you’re limiting ranged players to doing less damage with no real advantage.

Range doing less damage might be a valid argument if, for example, melee died frequently and were forced to use soldier gear while ranged could sport berserker.

(edited by Yaki.9563)

swiftpaw.6397

Range doing less damage might be a valid argument if, for example, melee died frequently and were forced to use soldier gear while ranged could sport berserker.

Just you wait, someone will try using that as a valid argument.

Wukunlin.8461

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/warrior/PvE-Rifle-Warrior-Build-Final-Tweaks/first#post1437107

edit: that was 5 months ago btw

Oceanic [LOD]

swiftpaw.6397

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/warrior/PvE-Rifle-Warrior-Build-Final-Tweaks/first#post1437107

I don’t even…….

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

This is a good strategy. I’m impressed.

Brazil

swiftpaw.6397

Alas, for poor Yoric did not post his results in that thread!

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1ibhr6/ranged_warrior_build_or_how_i_learned_to_love_the/

Longbow + Rifle warrior with 0 melee. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

Safer is irrelevant. This has been proven by the abundant use of berserker gear. So essentially you’re limiting ranged players to doing less damage with no real advantage.

I’m gonna have to bookmark this argument; it’s oozing with perfection. No sarcasm intended.

Wukunlin.8461

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1ibhr6/ranged_warrior_build_or_how_i_learned_to_love_the/

Longbow + Rifle warrior with 0 melee. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

I guess that’s what longbow F1 is for….
Also, wth is signet of battle?

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

It’s a simple matter of dps or survivability.

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Wukunlin.8461

I don’t even…….

now that I decided to read the last few posts of that thread, it’s filled with gold cancer

Oceanic [LOD]

swiftpaw.6397

I don’t even…….

now that I decided to read the last few posts of that thread, it’s filled with gold cancer

It’s been 5 months, he’s either wisened up or stopped playing… probably because that build was so awful.

colesy.8490

What the hell guys, you should let them play how they want.

Even if it is to the complete detriment of their party’s and their own efficiency.

Wukunlin.8461

He also mentioned he did “pretty well” in that build in high lvl fractals. Thank the gods I didn’t do much fotm back then. But yeah, he probably realized he was doing something wrong…
And since Nik found the reincarnation of him on reddit we need to prepare ourselves for another generation of those.

Oceanic [LOD]

swiftpaw.6397

He also mentioned he did “pretty well” in that build in high lvl fractals. Thank the gods I didn’t do much fotm back then. But yeah, he probably realized he was doing something wrong…
And since Nik found the reincarnation of him on reddit we need to prepare ourselves for another generation of those.

Ooooooooh lordy