Road to a new RAID

Road to a new RAID

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Aleksandar.1364

Aleksandar.1364

It’s been 3 months since the last wing..

Will we have a new wing this month ?

Member of Keep Running [Kr]

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

I think it was said somewhere that each raid (or this one at the very least) will have exactly 3 wings. Having another wing of Forsaken thicket would also screw up storytelling, since the ending of wing 3 directly transitions into LWS3.
So what you’re asking for would be a completely new raid.
Even though it’s possible we’ll get one sooner, most people assume it’ll come with new expansion, at least ~1 year from now.

Road to a new RAID

Aleksandar.1364

Yeah i know that Forsaken Thicket is finished ^^
That’s why i wrote “Road to new raid”
Completely a new raid with a new wing in this new raid !

I think so.. But who could wait one year to get the legendary armor ?!

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

There’s no reason to think finishing the legendary armor will be tied to another raid (which is gonna take a LONG time to make).
The legendary armor is most likely not in the game yet because it takes a full team of artists at least 9 months of work (yeah sounds like a bad joke, but that’s what MO said).

Road to a new RAID

Aleksandar.1364

There’s no reason to think finishing the legendary armor will be tied to another raid (which is gonna take a LONG time to make).

Maan https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4uuoz2/legendary_armor_indefinitely_postponed_ama/

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I hope it comes soon, I already have 18 of the t6 gifts and almost a stack of insights, so I am ready to start building legendary armor

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I think that, if you are expecting another raid that quickly, you will find yourself disappointed.

Games like WoW can push out raid content faster because that is their primary focus at end game. In GW2, raids are add on content meant to appease a small number of players. The focus is (and should be) on the larger world content developed for everyone. And, given the missteps in the past year, they really do need to focus on getting that back on track and working.

That isn’t to say raids do not have a place in GW2 – just, in their current state, they have to be secondary to open world and living story. I would expect the next raid to come with (or shortly after) the next expansion.

As for legendary armor, I know they intimated that it will be solely based on raids, but I believe they will/should reconsider. “Legendary” should entail mastering every element of the game (including PVP and WvW).

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

As for legendary armor, I know they intimated that it will be solely based on raids, but I believe they will/should reconsider. “Legendary” should entail mastering every element of the game (including PVP and WvW).

How can you believe this after 4 years of old legendary weapons being purely gold based, the new legendary weapons being solely open world based and 2 legendary backpieces that focus entirely on a single game mode?

Never has any legendary required you to “master all game modes”.

Road to a new RAID

Blaeys.3102

How can you believe this after 4 years of old legendary weapons being purely gold based, the new legendary weapons being solely open world based and 2 legendary backpieces that focus entirely on a single game mode?

Regardless, it is how it should be. Grinding out raid content should reward ascended pieces, but doesn’t warrant legendaries, imo. That should require reaching the pinnacle of every game mode (legendary in PvP, etc). It should be about prestige and mastering the game.

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Regardless, it is how it should be. Grinding out raid content should reward ascended pieces, but doesn’t warrant legendaries, imo. That should require reaching the pinnacle of every game mode (legendary in PvP, etc). It should be about prestige and mastering the game.

There’s a big difference between what they “will” do and what they “should” do. They’ve quite clearly chosen to add different legendary items to different content. (pvp backpiece, fractal backpiece, open world weapons, raid armor)

The only game mode that currently does not have a specific legendary piece tied to it is wvw.

Furthermore I disagree. I believe every game mode should have their own rewards to distinguish themselves from other players and show their dedication towards their preferred mode.

Making ppl do everything will just water down the skill level required to get that legendary anyway. Just look at what they did to pvp already solely because of the backpiece. Being legendary rank says absolutely nothing about skill level and surely isn’t regarded as the “pinnacle” of the game mode by any serious pvper.

Road to a new RAID

Blaeys.3102

There’s a big difference between what they “will” do and what they “should” do. They’ve quite clearly chosen to add different legendary items to different content. (pvp backpiece, fractal backpiece, open world weapons, raid armor)

The only game mode that currently does not have a specific legendary piece tied to it is wvw.

Furthermore I disagree. I believe every game mode should have their own rewards to distinguish themselves from other players and show their dedication towards their preferred mode.

Making ppl do everything will just water down the skill level required to get that legendary anyway. Just look at what they did to pvp already solely because of the backpiece. Being legendary rank says absolutely nothing about skill level and surely isn’t regarded as the “pinnacle” of the game mode by any serious pvper.

The same can be said of grinding (or even paying for) raids. Legendary armor will not be a status symbol as many hope, but rather as just another thing to grind for. And, while the idea of legendary sets for each game mode sounds admirable, it isn’t really feasible given the development time required. It would be years before we saw them all.

If they required mastering every part of the game, it would, at least, add some prestige to owning the sets. It would mean those people did more than just grind one area of the game over and over.

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Absurdo.8309

Absurdo.8309

The same can be said of grinding (or even paying for) raids. Legendary armor will not be a status symbol as many hope, but rather as just another thing to grind for. And, while the idea of legendary sets for each game mode sounds admirable, it isn’t really feasible given the development time required. It would be years before we saw them all.

If they required mastering every part of the game, it would, at least, add some prestige to owning the sets. It would mean those people did more than just grind one area of the game over and over.

This discussion about legendaries is, at best, off topic. At worst, it’s disingenuous, because the same argument applies to every legendary in the game.

On topic, I hope ANET is developing the next wing. I know they did develop some while making HOT, so they may not be able to stick to the 3 month time schedule.

Road to a new RAID

Blaeys.3102

This discussion about legendaries is, at best, off topic. At worst, it’s disingenuous, because the same argument applies to every legendary in the game.

On topic, I hope ANET is developing the next wing. I know they did develop some while making HOT, so they may not be able to stick to the 3 month time schedule.

It should definitely apply to all legendaries. People should have to master every aspect of the game for a legendary (including getting the top achievements for each game mode). Having a legendary should indicate a mastery of the game (the entire game).

Regarding raid wings, I don’t think they ever committed to a 3 month release window. I don’t see how they could do that. My guess is the next raid will be boxed with the next expansion. MO said things like armor sets, masteries, etc are considered expansion-only content. I wouldn’t be surprised if raids become the same (to encourage more xpac sales).

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Chaos.5072

Chaos.5072

I think it was said somewhere that each raid (or this one at the very least) will have exactly 3 wings.

That’s like the exact opposite of what they said.

I specifically remember Crystal Reid saying that they might drop in a 1 wing raid here and there was going to be no set wing count per raid.

Road to a new RAID

Aleksandar.1364

I think it was said somewhere that each raid (or this one at the very least) will have exactly 3 wings.

That’s like the exact opposite of what they said.

I specifically remember Crystal Reid saying that they might drop in a 1 wing raid here and there was going to be no set wing count per raid.

That’s what i hope ! A new 1 wing raid with completely a new story(even a small one, where there is no impact on the world), with.. 4 or 5 boss !

At the beginning, they said they could do 4-6 wings per year ! We miss one

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

That’s what i hope ! A new 1 wing raid with completely a new story(even a small one, where there is no impact on the world), with.. 4 or 5 boss !

At the beginning, they were not expecting worst revenue drop in gw2 history. Afaik now they are working on next expansion instead, and everything else except LS3 is postponed.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

At the beginning, they said they could do 4-6 wings per year !

They also said we’ll have full set of legendary weapons. We all know how that ended.

As Rednik said, HoT in general caused a massive revenue drop. We don’t know what lesson it taught Anet, but at the very least we can be sure their priorities had to be rearranged somehow. It’s entirely possible it might affect Raids as well – because no matter how much they claim they were succesfull, the truth is they are not the kind of content they need the most now.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

I think they said they can design a raid wing within 3 months. That does not mean they’ll release them as soon as they are ready. It has then to make sense in the game. Sometimes they also design an encounter without exactly knowing what the boss looks like, they just know what they want to give in a fight.
I don’t think they want to stick to a release frequency when it comes to raid. They will most probably release one wing or more when the legendary armours will be fully finished and when they feel they have a good story to tell on the side of LS3. Maybe there will be a wing related to the door of Komalie once we reach the Ring of Fire. Or they switch to something totally unrelated like the new hierarchy of Nightmare Court.

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

How cool would it be to have a new raid wing as part of the Ring of Fire island chain? I’m pretty hopeful as part of our continuing exploration of new zones in LS3 we’ll get a new raid wing.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Crystal Reid

Crystal Reid

Game Designer

Next

A few development updates for you guys since there are some things I can clarify here.

While Forsaken Thicket was 3 wings that encompassed a complete story line, that does not mean all raids will be 3 wings. We’ll do that where it makes sense, and sometimes it will make sense to release a stand alone raid with 1 wing if we think we have an interesting story to tell there that doesn’t need to be stretched out over multiple releases.

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Please hurry up soon HoT is 1 year old and we still can’t craft legendary armor

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

A few development updates for you guys since there are some things I can clarify here.

While Forsaken Thicket was 3 wings that encompassed a complete story line, that does not mean all raids will be 3 wings. We’ll do that where it makes sense, and sometimes it will make sense to release a stand alone raid with 1 wing if we think we have an interesting story to tell there that doesn’t need to be stretched out over multiple releases.

Thanks for the clarification.

NSPride <3

Road to a new RAID

Aleksandar.1364

OK guys, she said Wizard’s Tower ! Prepare your magic

Road to a new RAID

Ranael.6423

Sorry to hijack your answer but if you think you can break the cycle by having a raid only composed of one wing, do you also think that now bosses could also not live in circular rooms/platforms ?

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

This sounds like hype.

The question is, would you let down Gaming Corgi

Or give us more hints

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Crystal Reid

Previous

Crystal Reid

Game Designer

Sorry to hijack your answer but if you think you can break the cycle by having a raid only composed of one wing, do you also think that now bosses could also not live in circular rooms/platforms ?

Sure.

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Bosses on a torus could be interesting.

Road to a new RAID

Sykper.6583

Sure.

Confirmed boss encounter on rapidly collapsing bridge.

Or on back of very large monster.

….Oh god.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

How about a boss on a moving JP like clockwork tower. GO

But yeah, less circular platforms, or even the need for circular strats (sloth) would be cool.

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Coconut.7082

Coconut.7082

How about a boss on a moving JP like clockwork tower. GO

But yeah, less circular platforms, or even the need for circular strats (sloth) would be cool.

Pls no JP, jumping is too hard T.T

The idea of non circular arena is pretty cool, but it does cause some camera issues if you have walls around the arena (example, Sloth)..

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

i hope this doesn’t mean that the last 6 objectives of the second legendary armor collection will be about another raid wing (the collection description is about collect magic aspect of tyria to improve armor), 1 year and still we don’t know anything about when we can finish this collection and in the past someone of arenanet tell us that you will release 5-6 wing in a year….

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Linus The One.7432

Linus The One.7432

Bosses on a torus could be interesting.

Or on a moebius strip!

Road to a new RAID

Sykper.6583

Huh.

18 items for the first Envoy Armor Chest, 6 per wing.

We have 6 items hidden in the mist for the Envoy Stage 2 Armor set. And we have an allusion to Raids not necessarily being multiple wings.

Hmmmmm…..

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: LeeLoo.6287

LeeLoo.6287

Huh.

We have 6 items hidden in the mist for the Envoy Stage 2 Armor set. And we have an allusion to Raids not necessarily being multiple wings.

Hmmmmm…..

Inb4 Legendary Armor will be dragged through eternity and beyond. 1 Envoy Stage 2 item per 1 full raid. Can’t wait to get Legendary armor in 2024.

Jokes aside, while we wait for the new raids I’d beg you to re-consider weekly caps

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Slothasor? Trio? Escort?

NSPride <3

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Huh.

Hmmmmm…..

Inb4 Legendary Armor will be dragged through eternity and beyond. 1 Envoy Stage 2 item per 1 full raid. Can’t wait to get Legendary armor in 2024.

Jokes aside, while we wait for the new raids I’d beg you to re-consider weekly caps

jokes aside? there was a joke? ;O

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Sure.

All future encounters will take place on squares. Progress achieved.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Daniel.5428

Daniel.5428

I’ been looking around Ring of Fire’s map and there is a strange place called Onyx Gate. An old fortress of Mursaats. It’s map is as big as last wing and we already have the confirmation that the next wing may be one winged only. So, what do you think, is it possible to see a new raid in Ring of Fire?

Road to a new RAID

Ranael.6423

I think the preview articles stated that the JP of Ember bay is in the Mursaat fortress. It could be a misinterpretation but so far it seems the fortress will be used for the explorable map. Nevertheless, seeing the size on the map, I think 2 explorable maps and a raid would fit

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Maybe the Raid will be inside the Foundry!

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I’m getting DoA Trenchway flashbacks.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Yeah, Crystal, if you could drop a shed of light as to when the next raid will be, that would be amazing <3

Keep up the great work, raids have truly been a great addition to GW2, and very well designed at that!

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Road to a new RAID

Blaeys.3102

As long as they insist on the restrictive raid model they currently employ, they really need to stay away from popular lore-based landmarks/settings/scenarios – and definitely stay away from anything to do with the story the current game is trying to tell.

I realize that is an unpopular opinion among a subset of the community, but it is the situation they have created for themselves if they want to avoid alienating or frustrating a sizeable number of their players.

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

As long as they insist on the restrictive raid model they currently employ, they really need to stay away from popular lore-based landmarks/settings/scenarios – and definitely stay away from anything to do with the story the current game is trying to tell.

I realize that is an unpopular opinion among a subset of the community, but it is the situation they have created for themselves if they want to avoid alienating or frustrating a sizeable number of their players.

That’s the goal of raids, to frustrate and alienate players, those are just words with negative connotations but the same overall meaning as ‘challenging’.

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

That’s the goal of raids, to frustrate and alienate players, those are just words with negative connotations but the same overall meaning as ‘challenging’.

The game can be challenging without alienating players. I wasn’t required to have a set build in Fractals or Aetherblade. I wasn’t required to show off how many Pristine Fractal Relics or something like that.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

The game can be challenging without alienating players. I wasn’t required to have a set build in Fractals or Aetherblade. I wasn’t required to show off how many Pristine Fractal Relics or something like that.

The problem was that a lot of players weren’t challenged by fractals. And given their current state, most people still aren’t.

In this case when raids introduced a challenge for most groups, those groups chose to alienate. It seems we have one or the other with current content.

I’d much rather have challenging content and people have to take their head out of their kitten , rather than not have it, and people still have their head up their kitten for half a dozen other reasons.

Edit: Here is the ‘o’ I removed.

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Dominik.5162

Dominik.5162

They need to stay away from nothing, the claim that raids can’t have interesting story/lore connected to them is beyond hilarious.

Iliaz
Team Aggression [TA]
Immortal Kingdom [KING]

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Umm… yeah, you mean we weren’t seeing complaints of ‘ping gear’ and ‘X achievement points’ before HoT? Hmm, maybe my memory is going.

Player created alienation is something different than content driven alienation. Player created alienation has it’s reasons (the best one being that players disrespect or ignore reasonable requests to be experienced and play in the manner they are asking) but overall I feel is a bit overboard making it dumb, again though, there are reasons.

Content driven alienation is limitations imposed by the content that has people simply being left out. Raids are exactly that, you must set aside (expected completion time * X) to be able to do it factoring in time for expected failures. They require time to even form a well balanced group. They take a devotion to setting yourself up to fill a needed role. It’s just the demands that have to be met to reasonably have a chance at completing the challenge. And, any challenging content will have that to some degree. The stricter the more challenging in general (but not always).

You want to run a Nomad necro, cool, have fun, but don’t expect that to be a quality choice for challenging content, it simply has no real effective thought put behind it. You just want to be a meat shield far more extreme than is reasonable with inefficient tradeoffs. I have a clerics guard set up that I feel has some niche usefulness in that it can make certain fractals very easy, and it’s fun in open world content seeing green cover my screen rather than white. But, it’s silly to expect to take that into a raid and be effective outside the tank role which it’s also marginally effective in that there are more ideal options.

I will say the ‘meta’ is pretty silly in PUG raids where you have groups taking a single healer to VG with a novice chronotank and don’t expect there to be healing issues. I mean, you can’t expect PUGs to play at a level that organized guilds can, so a bit more flexibility and thought towards the entire situation not just the ‘in optimal conditions’ situation… anyways I could ramble on that for hours, but I will agree the PUG life can be silly at times and frustrating when in fact the option you are proposing is better for the situation given but people have a willful ignorance following what has been done before rather than what would work better. That again hits on the player constraints rather than content restraints, and those are much more difficult to fix. We’re talking sociology there which is anything but an exact science.

EDIT: ahh kitten, I typed a novel.

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Daniel.5428

Daniel.5428

I don’t know about you, but I raid with PUGS and I finish all 3 wings on monday….. 3 hours is all I need.

Road to a new RAID

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

They need to stay away from nothing, the claim that raids can’t have interesting story/lore connected to them is beyond hilarious.

They can, but it really should be something self-contained. Making the current raid an introduction to LS3 was a bad move. Continuing with the idea would be even worse.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November