Ruby or Scholar

Ruby or Scholar

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: viciouspike.8624

viciouspike.8624

Q:

I was doing CoE one of these days and someone linked all their gear and everything he had he put a ruby orb in it. Weapons, armor, trinkets. I said to him it would probably benefit more if he switched to a rune or something and noted Scholar in particular.

What is the general consensus about this? I have read around a little bit and seen that some people say Ruby is better than Scholar even though the base numbers don’t really add up.

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

A:

Scholar is definitely the superior option as long as you can stay above 90 a solid portion of the time. A base 10% damage multiplier is exceptionally better than crit damage since crit damage scales so poorly.

[DnT]

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Delay.6908

Delay.6908

As far as I know scholar will always beat ruby if you can keep your health above 90% for the majority of the fight, if your are struggling hard to keep it above 90% then ruby is the way to go.

Dr Winston | [DnT]

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Scholar, especially for coe.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Pretty sure someone calculated that you don’t even need to be 90% for the majority, like for 30 percent of the time or something?

Oceanic [LOD]

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Ruby cuz its cheap and im cheap . But i remember getting kicked out of
Cof p1 for having ruby instead of scholarr . I guess scholar
Is better to look pro or something …

Ruby or Scholar

viciouspike.8624

Then I guess my next question:

Are ruby orbs ever worth using?

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

I am a zerker war with full ascended/exotic, I run scholars. I used to run ruby for 2 months when I was starting out, but I was kind of a noob then and ignorant of the rune comparisons ,etc. (well I still kinda am, but the dude I take my zerk warr advice from recommends scholars, and I trust him. his vid is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlZNjDDL42s, and plus my friend I run dungs with uses scholars and he’s prty experienced lol.)

According to the dude whose build I’m running, it seems ruby is only slightly better than scholars even when you’re not above 90%. Thus a chance of a 10% dmg increase with scholars would clearly tip the favor towards it.

I never worried too much about actual numbers and stuff, it’ll make your head hurt, but the one thing I do know doesn’t really help: what I do know (or care to know) in terms of specific numbers is this: as long as your have 90%+ health about 25% or more of the time, scholars is better than ruby. OK so even that’s probably kinda confusing, and I don’t even know how to explain that because I for one never really keep an actual count of what % my health is at usually so..lol. As long as you’re not downed like most of the time I’d say stick with scholars :P

So basically unless you’re a terrible player that expects to be carried and/or runs into mobs constantly and gets downed, i’d say go scholars.

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Maximillian Greil.1965

Maximillian Greil.1965

I use ruby orbs cause… my ele’s squishy xD I’m never above 90% I never go down, but when doing tougher content with environmental effects, like the new TA for instance, I just never see myself above 90% health.

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

if you cant afford scholars

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

Read my post btw, it is actual numbers. You can just google your question and get them, but as long as your above 90% health about quarter or more of the time, go scholars. There’;s actual calculations for this sort of stuff but I’d rather not know. So let’s say your fighting alpha COE P2 (only have to worry about the huge aoe circles) and you manage to dodge every one. your health would be above 90% defnitely most of the time in that fight. so scholars is better. but lets say you screw up your timing, get downed and rally with like 20% health. and then get downed again awhile later (and maybe die). in that case rubys would be better. I realize this is kind of a terrible example but I don’t know how to explain it better.

Arun Kar

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

Scholar encourages better gameplay. Same with taking stacking sigils.

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Ruby or Scholar

viciouspike.8624

Read my post btw, it is actual numbers. You can just google your question and get them, but as long as your above 90% health about quarter or more of the time, go scholars. There’;s actual calculations for this sort of stuff but I’d rather not know. So let’s say your fighting alpha COE P2 (only have to worry about the huge aoe circles) and you manage to dodge every one. your health would be above 90% defnitely most of the time in that fight. so scholars is better. but lets say you screw up your timing, get downed and rally with like 20% health. and then get downed again awhile later (and maybe die). in that case rubys would be better. I realize this is kind of a terrible example but I don’t know how to explain it better.

Yeah I read your posts and I understand your example. I was using Golemancer stuff for the longest and only just decided to swap to Scholar because I got sick of the golem and since I use an asura people would see it and think I had that for an elite and switch to it…

Thanks for your input.

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

“kitten stacking sigils I keep dying anyway”

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Ruby orbs are better on a phantasm mesmer. Justification: Phantasams do not benefit from the scholar rune 10% damage increase. Since more than 50% of your dps is coming from the phantasms ruby orbs will give higher overall dps.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

The real question is,

Ogre or Ruby Orbs?!!

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

CLERICS IS THE ANSWER.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

don’t forget the boon duration runes. need to keep them might stacks up cos the fight’s gonna drag on from our bad dps

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Ruby cuz its cheap and im cheap . But i remember getting kicked out of
Cof p1 for having ruby instead of scholarr . I guess scholar
Is better to look pro or something …

Elitism in CoF runs? Oh lord.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I would say 80%+ of the people use ruby for cof speed run. I actually seen alot less scholar. Almost everyone is using ruby.

Im’ not sure if people are too cheap, or they are not very confident they can stay high health most of the time. I’m both of that. So I use ruby.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

there was a thread a while ago about some guy who got kicked from cof p1 because he was wearing scholar instead of ruby orbs

Oceanic [LOD]

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Ezzyz.6045

Ezzyz.6045

Haven’t looked at it lately, but iirc phantasm mesmers use ruby orbs since their primary source of damage doesn’t benefit from the scholar runes. I do use scholar runes on mine in assassin’s set for lupi, but everywhere else ruby orbs. Just for mesmer though, chrysocola orbs erewhere else.

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Ruby orbs are probably better in cof p1 because you dont dodge in that dungeon. But yeah scholar is better.

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

Ranger and Eagle are (always) better than Ruby Orbs anyway.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Scholar Runes give 165 Power and Ruby Orbs give 120 Power. I don’t think it’s worth using Ruby Orbs in any situation.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

I use ruby orbs for my ele because he’s so squishy and can barely keep up 90% hp, it just takes a fart to get him to below 90%, willing to take any suggestion for my ele that is better than ruby orbs but doesn’t require >90% hp.
I use scholar runes for my warrior though.

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Ruby or Scholar

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Even without the 10% damage bonus Scholar Runes should still be better.

Brazil

Ruby or Scholar

Dub.1273

Ranger and Eagle are (always) better than Ruby Orbs anyway.

Dub | [rT]

Ruby or Scholar

spoj.9672

What do you use to get the ranger runes bonus?

Ruby or Scholar

Dub.1273

No.

Dub | [rT]

Ruby or Scholar

Dub.1273

My imaginary moa pet.

Dub | [rT]

Ruby or Scholar

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

No.

It has higher Power and the Precision isn’t really worth it since you can get to 100% without it.

Brazil

Ruby or Scholar

Dub.1273

But you’re sacrificing other stats than precision for that, too.
Like taking Signet of Fury instead of Might on a warrior or using subpar 100prec/10%critdmg food.

Dub | [rT]

(edited by Dub.1273)

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

IMO the only time you should use Ruby Orbs is in a phantasm based mesmer build, and even then in Arah you should use Scholars.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

I tried some phantasm damage tests with and without scholar armor for a long time. I summoned some phantasms on the dummies in LA, changed one piece of berserker/scholar armor to to another set to remove the 6th rune set piece, checked damage: The low/high/average damage was 10% lower! Then i put it back on after about 10 minutes of watching numbers and put it back on. Damage went up by ~10% again. The same phantasms have been used for the entire duration and i tried summoning with and without scholar as well. It seems to work for rune bonuses, but the mantra +4 %X(n) bonus and the +3 %X(n)phantasm still don’t work.

I haven’t ran any tests on actual mobs/enemies/players yet, but i can say it definitely works on the dummies in LA.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

(edited by Emanuel.9781)

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

Scholar runes have come down dramatically in price. I recently 400’d tailor on an alt and realized I could make my own entire runes for less than 2g each. I’m still upgrading my alts but so far its a very noticeable boost, its rare to save up gold for something non-cosmetic so it feels justified to me. I think people just wrote them off back when charged lodestones were ~4g each as an unattainable luxury.

Ruby or Scholar

viciouspike.8624

Scholar Runes give 165 Power and Ruby Orbs give 120 Power. I don’t think it’s worth using Ruby Orbs in any situation.

This is why I thought Ruby wasn’t even really worth it. I looked around at a few guides and pretty much blindly followed them. I never had the time or care to do any calculations myself.

I stated earlier that I was using Golemancer before and only recently switched to 5 Scholar and 1 Baelfire. I went from hitting 9k with backstabs to 11 – 12k.

How useful is precision and what is it really for?

Ruby or Scholar

spoj.9672

Ruby orbs have more crit damage though. Thats why they arent that bad.

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

This is why I thought Ruby wasn’t even really worth it. I looked around at a few guides and pretty much blindly followed them. I never had the time or care to do any calculations myself.

I stated earlier that I was using Golemancer before and only recently switched to 5 Scholar and 1 Baelfire. I went from hitting 9k with backstabs to 11 – 12k.

How useful is precision and what is it really for?

pumping precision is only really good if your sole aim is to maximise reflect damage, because power doesn’t scale reflect damage whereas reflected damage does use your base crit%.

and because most organised teams already hit 100% crit chance with buffs up, the boosted precision is mainly for solo play.

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Young Somalia.1706

Young Somalia.1706

Apparently party members are considered as a companion.

I RUN WITH 4 SLAVES, I’M THE REAL SLAVE DRIVER

Guard: Driveby Brofist; Warrior: Giganticus Elitist
[LOD]

Ruby or Scholar

viciouspike.8624

pumping precision is only really good if your sole aim is to maximise reflect damage, because power doesn’t scale reflect damage whereas reflected damage does use your base crit%.

and because most organised teams already hit 100% crit chance with buffs up, the boosted precision is mainly for solo play.

So what you are saying is precision is pretty much useless more or less?

Apparently party members are considered as a companion.

I RUN WITH 4 SLAVES, I’M THE REAL SLAVE DRIVER

Lol…

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

I Rage on my Warrior (gasp)

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Konu.1826

Konu.1826

In many cases 100% crit is achieved by choosing between precision over power, be it food, stacks or signets. 30 in precision trait line + banner with as much ascended pieces as one can have at the moment, scholar runes and fury gives 81% crit chance (I wouldn’t count on having ranger). I don’t think there is a single profession that can bump that to 100% without choosing the precision alternative from either signets, food or stacks, guardian probably being the closest while using sword.

In cases of food and stacks your options are exactly similar, while with signets I feel precision ones offer better actives making them the preferred choice.

I’m in no way saying 100% or close to it would not be achieved if one so wants without losing efficiency, but I feel you can’t rule out runes just because they offer a maximum of 155 precision over their power alternative, you would aim for that precision in some way at a “later” point of your build.

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

You really can’t go wrong with ranger runes, but never use eagle. The 5% damage bonus on rangers is unconditional on all professions so eagles couldn’t possibly do anything but lose dps.

[DnT]

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Dolan.3071

Dolan.3071

“kitten stacking sigils I keep dying anyway”

Hey that was in Arah! I’m bloody terrible in there.
“Let’s get stacks on the trash at the start”
“Why I’m just gonna get downed at least once within the next series of bosses that I don’t know and skips I’ve never done before”
xD

Uriel Asther ~ Warrior | Kaya Lereau ~ Elementalist | Natalie Fox ~ Thief
Skye Eterna ~ Mesmer | Arya Slade ~ Charrdian | Kiera Thine ~ Ranger
Oceanic ~ [LOD] [Noob]

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Phantasm mesmers (which I am) would benefit from ruby. The 10% damage (afaik) does not apply to phantasms.

RIP in peace Robert

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

Phantasm mesmers (which I am) would benefit from ruby. The 10% damage (afaik) does not apply to phantasms.

Refer to my post above.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

Ruby or Scholar

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Refer to my post above.

Thanks for pointing that out. I skimmed through and didn’t see anything.

I guess since I have two conflicting sources, I’ll have to test it out for myself.

RIP in peace Robert

Ruby or Scholar

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

So since we started talking about Power VS Crit Damage….

Celestial Draconic: 140 Power, 140 Precision, 19 Crit Damage
Crit Chance: 6.7
Base Effective Power: 142

Berserker’s Draconic: 314 Power, 224 Precision, 16 Crit Damage
Crit Chance: 10.4
Base Effective Power: 319

Assassin’s Draconic: 224 Power, 314 Precision, 16 Crit Damage
Crit Chance: 14.95
Base Effective Power: 229

Ruby Orbs: 120 Power, 84 Precision, 12 Crit Damage
Crit Chance: 4
Effective Power: 121

Scholar Runes: 165 Power, 0 Precision, 8 Crit Damage, No 10% bonus
Crit Chance: 0
Effective Power: 165

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Draconic_Boots
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Draconic_Legs
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Draconic_Gauntlets
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Draconic_Pauldrons
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Draconic_Helm
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Celestial_Draconic_Coat
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune_of_the_Scholar
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ruby_Orb

Brazil

Ruby or Scholar

Dub.1273

Sorry to tell you brazil but that’s really bullkitten.

Dub | [rT]