Scaling in dungeons

Scaling in dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: BlitzX.4039

BlitzX.4039

So, finally I decided to post my thoughts here.
How to make dungeons more interesting, challenging and so on?-Add scaling.

First, I want to give a simple example called Lupicus: he has 1,35 mil hp (if i remember right). You start fighting him as full zerk group->1,35 mil hp; you start as full pvt group->still 1,35 mil hp; you start solo/duo…->and again 1,35 mil hp and so on-always 1,35 mil hp.

Here is my idea: if you are full zerk group, mobs should have more hp, maybe toughness, BUT less damage(for example,for full zerk group lupicus will have something like 7 mil hp) and vice versa- if you are full cleric group then mobs should have less hp,toughness but higher damage and etc.

I guess, it should make less differences between full zerk and full non-zerk groups and runs will take almost the same time for both kind of groups.

The only real problem here is balance but I think this is just about testing it

Write your thoughts, ideas, + and – of it-will be awesome to know your opinions

(edited by BlitzX.4039)

Scaling in dungeons

BlitzX.4039

I actually have 2 more ideas: adding shrines in dungeons and random mobs spawns→but it’s only a dream

Scaling in dungeons

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Or how about we don’t give him 7 million HP because the whole point of berserker gear is that you sacrifice defense for offense and as a result you deserve to kill stuff faster.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Scaling in dungeons

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

Or we could just have boss that slowly loose health over time, while everyone does 0 damages and receive 0 damage. This way it would always take the same amount of time, and everyone would stay alive.

I’m sorry though I don’t mean to be rude, but I hope you see my point XD

Scaling in dungeons

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

There are a lot of things that can be done to improve dungeons in this game, but I don’t see what homogenizing the kill time for groups accomplishes.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

Scaling in dungeons

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

What would be the point, other than normalizing kill times?

Scaling in dungeons

Posted by: CuRtoKy.8576

CuRtoKy.8576

I don’t understand why there is a need to make Zerk times equal to PTV. There is a reason zerk is faster. There is high risk and high reward for running specific builds with berserker gear on specific professions against Lupi. PTV is lower risk so the reward should be lower. It shouldn’t be low risk high reward for PTV.

If we want to normalize times why not just time gate every boss. Make a boss not killable and have say a 3 minute timer. Go kill adds and survive mechanics by the boss for the next three minutes. You can’t do anything to do boss. Regardless of gear it’ll take 3 minutes. I find this silly.

Scaling in dungeons

BlitzX.4039

I don’t understand why there is a need to make Zerk times equal to PTV.

I’ll be honest here: some people want to play something else except berserker but they are forced to play so, otherwise they’ll be just ignored for using non-berserker. So, if we make almost the same time for different party setups, it may give more fun, less hate for using wrong builds and so on

Currently, we have a very big gap between zerk and non-zerk: why full zerk group cleans dungeon for 20 mins(just random example) and full non-zerk=1 hour? Where is balance here? So, if we add scaling, it will be like 30 mins for zerk group and 45 mins for non-zerk-why it should be bad?

Scaling in dungeons

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

the scaling on the dungeons is fine. Ultimately I believe that it will always come down to Yourself and your ability to Deal with the encounter you are about to face. and your party. and their ability to deal with the encounter.

leave Gear out of the conversation.

Example. Obal and DnT did a lupicus kill using the popular “play how you want” builds ( i lack a better terminology for it) . a Gaurdian, Necromancer (running conditions), A Flamethrower Engineer, Longbow Ranger, and a Warrior.
the kill took 4 min. Using the prescribed set of skills and rotations that the build creators suggested.
they then swapped back to dungeon “meta” and proceeded to casually down Lupi in 1 min.

In the grand scheme of things. 3 min on a legendary boss is really not that much of a time difference. Given that most groups will take 10, 20? 30? min to kill it. I know this because i have done it. the first MANY times i killed lupi it was a very long and drawn out fight. each time i go, i get a little better, and can do a little more in less time. the casual Guild I take through there is finally melee him more than ranging. after months of trying to get them to learn the fight.

what does all this mean? it is NOT a gear set. that will magically change things around. Dungeons are balanced and scaled rather well i would think. the players (or at least a many of them) have learned the fights. have learned the mechanics.

[rT] hold arah path 3 record at 7 min and some odd seconds.
it is acomplished by flawless execution of skills
NOT just a set of armor.

kind of makes me wonder what the time would be if they did it and the only thing they changed was the armor set? personally i think it would be around… 12?