Shattered Observatory Feedback

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

So let’s just ditch the dodge system altogether and force players to spam heals like you do in raids? Not cool. I enjoy the action oriented combat, not traditional MMO which stacks on tanks/healers. I’d like to remind that Guild Wars 2 promised to break conventions of older MMOs, it was one of the main selling points and during dungeon times it was upholding that statement. It’s sad to see the game turning into something it wasn’t originally designed for.

(edited by Sublimatio.6981)

Posted by: Benjamin Arnold

Previous

Benjamin Arnold

Content Programmer

I’m not fond of the undodgeable burn mechanic either, but we aren’t touching it for this next patch as we are trying to make as few mechanical changes as possible. We would like to continue to receive great feedback like this in the coming weeks as we decide on any potential balance changes to the encounters.

(edited by Benjamin Arnold.3457)

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

I wanted to wait for feedback until I played Shattered Observatory more often, but I found myself not wanting to replay it. It’s now a week ago, and I’ve still done it only once. Exploring the area on 25 for the first time till the first boss was really fun, but actually doing it up to the end was a mixed experience.

The mid boss was fair. The final boss was a stretch. I don’t like it. I will probably skip daily fractals when that fractal is in the dailies. If I play dailies, I play T4 fractals. Of course I am not able to play Shattered Observatory on T4 yet, but even on 25 it is a stretch.

It has a artificial boss mechanic and scripting that is as tight as in the raids. One step outside the envisioned and scripted path, and you’re out. For example, you cannot direct the explosions in the final fight good enough. They stick at the border and too often explode just a bit too much to the right or to the left and just don’t hit the reactors.
That’s not fun. You are not fighting a boss by doing damage, you are desperately trying to make the scripting do what’s scripted. I want to kill enemies, I don’t want to perform some sort of rain dance in front of the boss and be instantly downed if I miss a step.

I really like the other fractals. The last two new fractals (Swamp and Nightmare) are on the edge of being too mechanical and scripted, but in the end they are ok. Shattered Observatory is not.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

We also have some bug fixes incoming that should help alleviate some pain points at the higher tiers as well.

Does that include making the floor fall at 15% or 40%? I know it’s been said that it is supposed to be 40%, but that it a Long time to be dodging the floor with anomalies showing up and having the floor possibly disappear from under them.

Cameron would like for it to stay at 40% as that was the original intent. With some of the other bug fixes it should hopefully be less frustrating, but we will continue to monitor feedback for this.

It should be set up such that anomalies can never spawn in a place where the floors are gone all around it. There should always be at least 1 available floor adjacent to the anomaly to stand on. If this is not the case, please let us know.

Unfortunately this happens. During the 40% phase the chances of an anomaly appearing on part of the platform that disappeared are extremely high.

Another thing i’d like to mention (i dont know if it is mentioned somewhere else), sometimes u get the orb phase without additional mechanics, sometimes u get bombs, greens and anomalies during that phase. Is this intentional?

Bombs greens are time based from what iv seen meaning if dps is too low both can happen during phase your best bet is either get comfortable enough with the phase so you can pull of both during it. Or, slow down on dps before the phase% so green doom spawns and you can deal with it.

zealex.9410

So let’s just ditch the dodge system altogether and force players to spam heals like you do in raids? Not cool. I enjoy the action oriented combat, not traditional MMO which stacks on tanks/healers. I’d like to remind that Guild Wars 2 promised to break conventions of older MMOs, it was one of the main selling points and during dungeon times it was upholding that statement. It’s sad to see the game turning into something it wasn’t originally designed for.

Theres a diff between action combat and simply never getting hit by anything because aegis blocks evades and distorts and therefor trivialising the encounter. I long w8ed for mechanics that you can avoid one instance of them by reaction but another one is unavoidable and you need to be prepared to soak it and deal with it . It put meainign in condi cleanse and heals.

Compairing it to raids is the funniest because raids suffer from your meaning of “action combat” more than anything with blocks evades and distorts soaking all the dmg to the point where not bringing a healer makes sense.

(edited by zealex.9410)

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

I guess my main feedback would be, why did the recent clean up of the material storage system not include things like integrated matrices, and why aren’t cosmic essences a wallet currency?

Compairing it to raids is the funniest because raids suffer from your meaning of “action combat” more than anything with blocks evades and distorts soaking all the dmg to the point where not bringing a healer makes sense.

I think you 2 are having a disconnect. He liked that gw2 was originally sold as not following that traditional formula, and your so use to that formula that you think deviating from it is absurd.

zealex.9410

I guess my main feedback would be, why did the recent clean up of the material storage system not include things like integrated matrices, and why aren’t cosmic essences a wallet currency?

I think you 2 are having a disconnect. He liked that gw2 was originally sold as not following that traditional formula, and your so use to that formula that you think deviating from it is absurd.

Ah far from it. I agree inovating and going for something differenent is cool. And with the pve i have done in other games this feels different. Im jsut stating that the old design was flawed stacking —> cleaving --→ move one, as well as aoe dmg —→ dodge --→ dealt with are not really bad but these alone dont work well if you want a skillful game. Extra pressure should be a thing a pressre yo cant avoid but only be prepared to take it and survive.

An environment where dodging everything solves your problems in an evironment without skillful play imo. I praise the new design because not only refects are rewarded (avoiding kitten) but also theres dmg you cant distort block or evade your way out of so things like healing and condi cleanse get more value.

Sublimatio.6981

Theres a diff between action combat and simply never getting hit by anything because aegis blocks evades and distorts and therefor trivialising the encounter.

1. It’s not trivialised encounter if you avoid death by actively playing and paying attention. What is trivialised is relying on passive heals where you don’t need to pay attention.

2. Raids have pulsing dmg you need to outheal and sometimes even other factors like on Matthias (conditions, undodgeable ghosts) so calling raids “action combat” is the funniest. Raids are just golem benchmarks with heal check.

Posted by: OnizukaBR.8537

OnizukaBR.8537

Theres a diff between action combat and simply never getting hit by anything because aegis blocks evades and distorts and therefor trivialising the encounter.

1. It’s not trivialised encounter if you avoid death by actively playing and paying attention. What is trivialised is relying on passive heals where you don’t need to pay attention.

2. Raids have pulsing dmg you need to outheal and sometimes even other factors like on Matthias (conditions, undodgeable ghosts) so calling raids “action combat” is the funniest. Raids are just golem benchmarks with heal check.

Yes because raids you can stand still and dps you dont need to dodge: Seekers, blue circle, boss cleave, shake, smash, eggs, flaks, hadouken, red orbs…….. /s

Sublimatio.6981

Yes because raids you can stand still and dps you dont need to dodge: Seekers, blue circle, boss cleave, shake, smash, eggs, flaks, hadouken, red orbs…….. /s

Seekers: WSAD
Blue Circle: WSAD
Boss Cleave: WSAD
Shake: Distortion
Smash: Distortion / Stability
Eggs: WSAD
Flaks: WSAD
Hadouken: WSAD
Red Orbs: WSAD
Golem Benchmark: WSAD

zealex.9410

I can copy pastethis in every content in the game dungeons fractals etc

Posted by: Dextra.8162

Dextra.8162

Just was stuck at last boss with it seemingly bugged every attempt, Ark would be doing 2-3 phases at the same time. Don’t know if this is a big due to slow/fast dps pushing phases.

Example:

Orb phase with towers, then anomaly would spawn during forcing us to break Ark and also kill anomaly, after that the burn phase wouldn’t even happen and it would go back to him attacking with orbs everywhere still. Was all going off at once.

Stuffed Bunny – The Easter egg warrior ;3
Oublietta (Dolly Dearest) – The creepy doll mesmer.
Princess Dolls [Doll] ~ Of Darkhaven

Posted by: felincyriac.5981

felincyriac.5981

Just was stuck at last boss with it seemingly bugged every attempt, Ark would be doing 2-3 phases at the same time. Don’t know if this is a big due to slow/fast dps pushing phases.

Example:

Orb phase with towers, then anomaly would spawn during forcing us to break Ark and also kill anomaly, after that the burn phase wouldn’t even happen and it would go back to him attacking with orbs everywhere still. Was all going off at once.

this can happen if your dps is not optimal I believe, had the orbs with bomb and green once.

Posted by: Astro Bear.6305

Astro Bear.6305

zealex.9410

Theres a uhmm small dealy after you kill anomaly that the safezones manifests. Its pretty noticable.

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

I believe there needs improvements to mechanics for high ping players.
I wish to try leave no heroes tittle
Skills and movements occasionally unpredictably lag without warning.

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

(edited by Talindra.4958)

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

The mechanic isn’t that bad if it isn’t for the skill lags.

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

This applies to all PvE content ever created. Golem is just rotation without WSAD unless you used seaweed salad.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant