Single Player fractels?

Single Player fractels?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

Just wondering if Anet will ever add something like solo instanced fractals. I don’t mind doing things like fractals for my ascended gear but if I had a choice I would prefer to solo something like that. I’m not a big fan of the meta meatheads ranting about wrong build or skills etc for a group fractal or having trouble finding the right group only to fail because the team doesn’t gel. I’m like a lot of gamers out there who just plain old like to lone wolf it. What options do we have? I want fractal drops but without the group.

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I certainly hope not. Fractals was set up to be the end game dungeons, it as meant to be hard and need a group.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Critical Lag.9075

Critical Lag.9075

It`s a MMO, there are and there should be things that can only be achieved in group. What would be the point of MMO game if you could get everything solo?

Just join a friendly guild who will do fractals with you without ranting about metabuilds/skills/whatever you dont want to hear about

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Meta is what makes group “gel” or at least more likely to function. Of course there’s lots of other variables to that but meta is a big one. And yeah it’s a mmo…

Edit: the only ascended gear that is worthwhile from fractals are the rings. If you want actual ascended armor or weapons you’re much better off crafting it. Don’t bother trying to farm it from fractals you will only have disappointment. If it’s too expensive for you to level those crafts you will still craft a full set by dungeon grinding gold out, leveling the craft, and crafting a full set before you ever get anything other than some defender chests of ascended boots helms or shoulders.

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I can two man most low level fractals, OP, and a lot of people, the really good ones, can solo some of them.

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You can easily solo the urban battlegrounds fractal since the NPCs do most of the work. Do it whenever the daily fractal is up for an easy pristine relic.

Although making group content scale would certainly increase its popularity, I doubt they’d do it since it creates more work for them and causes a problem. Why group? Although grouping would likely make the content easier (assuming 1:1 scaling), if good players could be more efficient by soloing it, who would be left looking for a group?

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

It`s a MMO, there are and there should be things that can only be achieved in group. What would be the point of MMO game if you could get everything solo?

Just join a friendly guild who will do fractals with you without ranting about metabuilds/skills/whatever you dont want to hear about

That’s a tired, old argument, and it’s not exactly a true one. An MMO offers the option to interact with other players. And there’s a LOT of different ways to interact, including some that are XXX rated. Sure, grouping is one of them, but it is by no means mandatory.

Personally, I really enjoyed things like the 24 player raids in Age of Conan, and guild PVP teams in games like SW:TOR. But I also REALLY enjoy the option to do instances solo if I’m tired of the meta people and the interminable waits till everyone’s ready or if I’m just not feeling too social. And I really don’t see why it shouldn’t be implemented.

City of Heroes/Villains had the option to do ANY instance either solo or in a group of whatever size up to the maximum group size. Mobs, difficulty and loot would scale to size. I think that’s actually a pretty good model to aim for: to each their own, and with commensurate rewards.

If people like grouping and maxed rewards, let them. If people want to test their solo mettle, or just want to see the dungeon on their own pace, let them. The different blood groups don’t mix too well anyway, and I really can’t see a change like this hurt either of the play styles.

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

I personally like having to work with others. There is so much content that is easy to solo face roll in this game that requiring some sort of coordination is welcomed. The whole idea with Fractals is to work together. If you want to solo group content there are lots of dungeons.

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

I personally like having to work with others. There is so much content that is easy to solo face roll in this game that requiring some sort of coordination is welcomed. The whole idea with Fractals is to work together. If you want to solo group content there are lots of dungeons.

COH proved that it is entirely possible to have the same instances available in hardmode for those who want it, and easy/solo for those who want that. It COULD be implemented, and it wouldn’t detract from anyone’s game experience. It’s been a while, but I seem to recall there were also achievements you could ONLY get in hardmode, which would feed the one-upmanship that’s apparently going around.

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

if you have enough skill on a thief you can solo a low level fractal in high end, ascended gear. you can even solo the swamp fractal with traps/teleports.

it just takes a god-awful long time.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Single Player fractels?

cocowoushi.7150

COH proved that it is entirely possible to have the same instances available in hardmode for those who want it, and easy/solo for those who want that. It COULD be implemented, and it wouldn’t detract from anyone’s game experience. It’s been a while, but I seem to recall there were also achievements you could ONLY get in hardmode, which would feed the one-upmanship that’s apparently going around.

Okay, that is a different game all together. Many fractals have mechanics that require 2-3 people to complete, which require coordination from the given parties.

Say the make new fractals intentionally to be solo-able. How would rewards work? Should solo fractals reward more or less than group fractals? I assume party members would be banned from entering your solo fractal instance, otherwise it would be way too easy with a group, right? Why would one bother doing a solo fractal when a solo dungeon could be faster? Why would one bother doing a group fractal if solo fractal rewards are the same/better?

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

I hope, they will never do a solo fractal. i don’t see a good point doing this. it only favoris single playstyle. What is not the goal of this game.

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

You already can! Take your PHIW build there and have fun. wink wink wink*

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I would actually like to see them make dungeons and fractals scale-able, or have them reintroduce npc hench. This way people have the option to play how they are comfortable playing. They can choose to pug if they desire, but if they feel uncomfortable because they haven’t done it or done it much, they have the option to just go alone or with a friend or two. Options are not bad things, and it can still remain ‘challenging.’

And before someone screams that MMOs are social games, I will point out that instancing in general is an anti-social model.

Additionally, I will point out that all of the rest of game is essentially completely solo-able, so there is no reason why very select content should be gated behind grouping.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Single Player fractels?

cocowoushi.7150

Additionally, I will point out that all of the rest of game is essentially completely solo-able, so there is no reason why very select content should be gated behind grouping.

But why is it a bad thing for some content to require a group? I mean, you can already get dungeon rewards without ever setting foot in the dungeon with PvP tracks. Fractal skins (and tonic) are exclusive to the gameplay mode. Why is that a bad thing to have pure group content?

Single Player fractels?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

But why is it a bad thing for some content to require a group? I mean, you can already get dungeon rewards without ever setting foot in the dungeon with PvP tracks. Fractal skins (and tonic) are exclusive to the gameplay mode. Why is that a bad thing to have pure group content?

Because it bars some people from ever experiencing that content. Some people just don’t like grouping, or just prefer to play with 1 or 2 real life people, etc.

It doesn’t affect those that desire to group, so why is it an issue? Why is a bad thing to have options for all player types?

I am not saying to make it easier. Not by any means. In fact, make it harder. Then actually being able to do it solo, duo, or full 5 man is a badge of honor. Then the only barrier to entry is skill, and that’s as it should be.

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Most people want solo mode because they want reward gated by group content, not because they want to experience the content their way or want some sort of challenge.

If Anet make a solo mode with severely reduce reward(kinda like a training mode), there will just be a ton of QQ follow by a pretty much dead mode. (People want reward will revert back to group mode, and “lone wolves” will just do it once and never look back.)

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Critical Lag.9075

Critical Lag.9075

And before someone screams that MMOs are social games, I will point out that instancing in general is an anti-social model.

No, not really. Making instanced group content isn`t anti-social model as you still have to interact and coop with your team to achieve a certain goal, it prevents mindless, boring, zerging snorefest like most of the world bosses are.

The only challanging one left is Tri-Wurm and Vinewrath and it`s becouse they split large zerg into few smaller groups ( kinda like instancing does).

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Because IT IS an MMO. You don’t play an RTS if you don’t like strategy do you? The heart of this game, and all MMOs is playing well with others.

In fact I would argue the complete opposite, that for HoT to truly shine, it will be through larger group content. GW1 had 8 man dungeons, and I would argue for 12 mans as well.

It is called GUILD Wars after all. Find one and stick

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Single Player fractels?

cocowoushi.7150

Fractals already can be 3-manned though, 2 if you’re lucky with levels.

If single player fractals came out and gave the exact same rewards, wouldn’t it diminish the value of those who have the same item and all the hours of pugs/perfecting techniques with your fractal group?

Then people will want better rewards for solo fractals because “they are harder.”

Single Player fractels?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No, not really. Making instanced group content isn`t anti-social model as you still have to interact and coop with your team to achieve a certain goal, it prevents mindless, boring, zerging snorefest like most of the world bosses are.

The only challanging one left is Tri-Wurm and Vinewrath and it`s becouse they split large zerg into few smaller groups ( kinda like instancing does).

Just because you are working towards a goal doesn’t make it social. An instance seals you away from everyone except your party members who (if pugging) you likely don’t know and won’t even get to know before the instance is over. Many of them you probably wont add to friends list or even play with again. The last dungeon I did, I pugged. Nobody said a word, not even thank you at the end before they left the group to move on to the next run they were doing. I don’t even remember any of their names. How the hell is that even remotely ‘social’?

Because IT IS an MMO. You don’t play an RTS if you don’t like strategy do you? The heart of this game, and all MMOs is playing well with others.

In fact I would argue the complete opposite, that for HoT to truly shine, it will be through larger group content. GW1 had 8 man dungeons, and I would argue for 12 mans as well.

It is called GUILD Wars after all. Find one and stick

You have MMO RTS out there too, you’re not comparing accurately. GW2 is an RPG – a role playing game, as opposed to your RTS – real time strategy like heroes online. Both are actually MMOs. Both offer solo and group play.

Like I said previously, options are not a bad thing. I’m not against having more group based content, if you choose to play it as a group. I just think they should take more advantage of their ability scale things.

As for ‘find a guild and stick’, I run a guild thanks. All like 6 of us. Make a few more assumptions.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Sorry, one thing CoH never did was make soloable group content. They made groupable solo content, and difficulty settings, but they never made it so you could take group content and make it soloable.

And that is how it fits into Fractals. Fractals are meant to be group content. It should not be soloable under general expectations of soloable. Being able to solo something because you have a very specific build, or are very good is not the same thing.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

“I wish anet would let me play singleplayer in a multiplayer game”

i wish riot would let me get in first person and shoot people with an mp40 when i play league too

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

Scalable dungeons and fractals would be cool.

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

I was going to say why not a tutorial mode for newbs to learn basic fractal mechanics, but then I remembered that scale 1 is trivial anyway. Literally any group of warm bodies can handle scale 1, and if you can handle scale 1 you can handle scale 2 and so on…

And why make fractals explicitly soloable anyway? This is supposed to be ends game content, meaning hard enemies, meaning a group. If you are having trouble with groups getting all bent out of shape over meta, then make your own group. I make all mine for fractals(I want to run my specific reward level, also I am a ranger) and I have never once heard anyone question builds besides Agony Resist. I imagine you would have to be running a really terrible build instead of one of the many viable non-zerker builds to get complaints from a group that wasn’t explicitly advertising as “zerker only”

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

I hope, they will never do a solo fractal. i don’t see a good point doing this. it only favoris single playstyle. What is not the goal of this game.

The goal of this game was to cater to all gamers that enjoy mmo’s not meta end gamers actually.
The mmo’s are for group end game argument is just a joke. I enjoy playing mmo’s with others for lots of reason but when I want to do something end game I don’t want to be tied to a group of meta runners or looking for one just to achieve something at end game.
The only people End game group contents truly supports are the people the friendly side of the community don’t like because you got to cast this 3 secs into a fight and then swap to that 2,4,2,3,3 blah blah or you get booted from group and called a noob, I mean wtf man.
I’ve been playing Guild wars for at least 6 years and remember seeing this first advertised and how Anet posted they wanted to add all the things gamers love and get rig of the players fighting over drops or nodes etc. I live in New Zealand and other than ping being rubbish half the time our peak times are not the same as other larger country’s so obviously its harder to get groups together.

I cant see why having solo end game is something people have to oppose because its still drops earned by playing the game and gives people and extra option instead of looking for groups then rage quitting because you either cant find one or everyone just didn’t know what they were doing and couldn’t complete the chosen path.
Its just like everything else in game, You do it so much and it gets boring so its not like its going to hurt groups for dungeons and fractals.

Ps I’m not looking for feedback from those trolls who have gaming groups they’ve been meta battling different games for the last 10 years, I want to hear from normal Guild Wars supporters thanks.

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Here’s how I see it:

If I want Single Player Mode I play out the Story instances or, more recently, the Living Stories. Such game play is the equivalent of a console game’s Campaign mode where the end goal is to play out the story and watch as both your character and supporting characters grow and develop. For instance, as a human I started of as someone saving an orphanage that caught fire. Nowadays, my character has progressed and is heading up the next generation of Destiny’s Edge and is uniting leaders of all races to fight against the Elder Dragons (I guess I should have used spoiler tags for that, eh?).

“Multi-player Mode” would then be everything else in the game: dungeons, fractals, PvP, WvW, etc.

As an MMO, I expect that Anet would focus its attention to content that requires multiple players to resolve while providing content here and there that can be completed by a single player. Being an MMO, though, the bulk of its content should be multiplayer oriented given its title. The overall theme of the game is Guilds. So even in Stories you are still working with NPC Guilds and eventually lead up your own (again, spoiler alert).

(edited by savacli.8172)

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Just wondering if Anet will ever add something like solo instanced fractals. I don’t mind doing things like fractals for my ascended gear but if I had a choice I would prefer to solo something like that. I’m not a big fan of the meta meatheads ranting about wrong build or skills etc for a group fractal or having trouble finding the right group only to fail because the team doesn’t gel. I’m like a lot of gamers out there who just plain old like to lone wolf it. What options do we have? I want fractal drops but without the group.

the instances you are looking for are called “living story”. as kal put it, thats groupable solo content. sorry, fractals are meant for groups, and i personally would be sad if they ever became intentionally soloable group content. and its a good thing that fractal drops are relatively restricted to being in and useful for fractals. the fact that agony resist is useless and inaccessible everywhere else in the game keeps high level fractals from getting filled with the terrorpugs of low level fractals.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I want fractal drops but without the group.

These kind of things make me see red…

Single Player fractels?

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

The goal of this game was to cater to all gamers that enjoy mmo’s not meta end gamers actually.
The mmo’s are for group end game argument is just a joke. I enjoy playing mmo’s with others for lots of reason but when I want to do something end game I don’t want to be tied to a group of meta runners or looking for one just to achieve something at end game.
The only people End game group contents truly supports are the people the friendly side of the community don’t like because you got to cast this 3 secs into a fight and then swap to that 2,4,2,3,3 blah blah or you get booted from group and called a noob, I mean wtf man.
I’ve been playing Guild wars for at least 6 years and remember seeing this first advertised and how Anet posted they wanted to add all the things gamers love and get rig of the players fighting over drops or nodes etc. I live in New Zealand and other than ping being rubbish half the time our peak times are not the same as other larger country’s so obviously its harder to get groups together.

I cant see why having solo end game is something people have to oppose because its still drops earned by playing the game and gives people and extra option instead of looking for groups then rage quitting because you either cant find one or everyone just didn’t know what they were doing and couldn’t complete the chosen path.
Its just like everything else in game, You do it so much and it gets boring so its not like its going to hurt groups for dungeons and fractals.

Ps I’m not looking for feedback from those trolls who have gaming groups they’ve been meta battling different games for the last 10 years, I want to hear from normal Guild Wars supporters thanks.

I’m also from new zealand, and used to hop on from about 18:30 onwards, it’s not hard to find PuG groups depending on how relaxed you are ( even from both sides of the fence )

I know nothing about you so I can’t judge. For me, I’ve been able to find lot’s of aus friends and even some from over sea’s. And sure, we don’t get much play time with everyone although that’s the nature of timezones :<

The friends from aus, I have found to be about a hour behind me so playing together has been easy, while friends from america and/or neverthlands being about 12hrs apart we get like 1-2 fractal runs.

I’m in favour of keeping fractals group content please.