Skipping Parts in Dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Hardist.3104

Hardist.3104

Hello everyone,

Just a few questions regarding people skipping certain parts or even whole bosses in dungeons just to get the end rewards. Is everyone doing it like this? For example, in Ascalonian Catacombs, people skip the middle boss, Kohler, by simply walking around him or by simply avoiding him and just run to the next part. In Citadel of Flame, in Path 1, people skip the “bonus event” on the bridge.

Was it intended like this, and if so, what’s the logic behind it? In these last couple of days I’ve experienced this, even with a guildmate who simply did it like everyone else. I told them that I would fight Kohler alone, and then they came back. They kept dying because obviously they didn’t know how to dodge, it’s their own fault for skipping the boss all the other times I guess. Next time I don’t think I will be so lucky because people will simply kick me if I tell them that I would also like to kill Kohler.

PS. Some people also go in, then pull the boss down and leave the two adds (Elementalist, Monk, Ranger and so on, those two adds) up there and simply kill the boss alone, then go back for the adds. I also think that is no fun and it’s not intended like that. Just because people are not good enough to go up against the boss itself and his two adds doesn’t mean you should play it like this I think.

So, are you skipping parts in dungeons aswell and if so, do you inform everyone of that BEFORE you enter the dungeon? It would be the most decent thing to do in my opinion, to tell people that you would like to skip a boss in order to clear the dungeon faster and to get your rewards. A lot of people seem to forget that there’s players who play for fun and also for the experience itself.

Or am I now just whining too much and thinking too much about this and I just should shut up and simply play it like everyone else does? I personally don’t think so, but I would like to see some opinions about this. Also I would like to ask ArenaNet if they will “fix” these things so that they will become “unskippable” in the future? Or was it really intended like this and I am just wrong about these things?

Posted by: Vylker.9286

Vylker.9286

I think that Anet actually allow this, they could simply lock the door next to Kohler till is dead

Hardist.3104

I was thinking the same, it’s a very simple “fix”, but ofcourse I am used to killing him like we always used to, but these days people simply tend to skip everything they can. And probably it’s just me that should be adjusting, instead of whining about it. But I just wanted to know what everyone else is thinking about all this.

Posted by: Barbarka.9362

Barbarka.9362

Finally someone else.. I am really sick of the non-skilled players running through. Make is so mobs don’t deagro and problem will be solved also locked/closed doors. I think ANET maybe working on this especially with the new dungeon design.

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

Personally, when I do dungeons (I generally do alot of dungeons and know which parts are skippable or otherwise), I will sound out and ask for decisions on to skip or not to skip, in PUGs anyways. But generally if the party has new comers, I will suggest minimal skipping to facilitate running back. If the party is not that good, minimal skipping too.

Kholer was already in fact changed to have a bigger aggro detect range than before for those who runs AC regularly. It is not as drastic as impeding progression via locked door or whatever, but I believe it is a middleground. And fighting Kholer is not an issue since he is no longer just a timesink with little rewards. I don’t mind getting those silvers when dropping him.

But pulling and skipping trash mobs, I don’t see the reason not to. Guess you guys haven’t encountered scenarios where a noob charges in aggro all the groups of mobs at once and lures them to the party to wipe them huh

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i usually run with my guildies and most of the time we’ll take on everything, unless if they are SUPER annoying. but even then, i don’t mind.

recently though, i’ve been running with more PUGs. AC in specific and i do voice out. right before Kohler i’ll ask if we’re taking the LT. some people have voiced out “we should!”, another time “let’s skip him, he’s not worth it” and others just run up aand start fighting him without replying lol. in most cases, lucky enough to have my group eb pretty easy-going and most didn’t mind as long as one voiced their thoughts, we just followed. not saying i don’t have an opinion, but i really don’t mind. gives me a good mix as sometimes we do fight, sometimes we sneak past, and when we’re lucky as bait the troll against the Lt. and we watch them rip each other apart.

i personally think Kohler is a fun fight. and i experiment with blinds, blocks, LoS, dodges or even reflection for his pull. but some choose not to and if there is less disagreement, it in general makes the rest of the run go a lot smoother.

i think if really depends on if the group is trying to do a speed run or just enjoy the dungeon for what it is. so easiest way to approach this i feel is to just make it a point at the very start. maybe even before you enter the dungeon. so if people want to skip, they know you’re not going to, so they can either choose to stay or leave.

one thing people should do is if they DO tend to skip a lot, let people knwo ahead of time. ESPECIALLY if you know someone’s new in the group! because by the time the first/second-timer or someone who always fights suddenly sees everyone jetting, they are already reacting a second too late, which using AC as an example can be guaranteed down / death if they’re running head first into two scavengers leap attack. sure, we should all have situational awareness, but yea. haha fresh in my mind because it happened to someone the other day when running AC. and then the person who skipped ahead went sigh. and didn’t even bother coming back to help or res. it just makes it worse for themselves. if they’re going for a speed run, let people know so you can at least agree on terms and have things work out, instead of letting / watching people die and then you end up wasting your own precious time.

oops. didn’t mean to rant. ; )))

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I have a brilliant way of stopping some of the exploits (skipping parts, bosses):
Simply increase boss rare item drop rate or something. If people do skip them it’s because they think it’s not worth killing them, that it’s a waste of time. And after grinding 40 fractal levels it does make sense. Just improve the drop rate and announce it so they can see it = problem solved.
For example: grawl fractal, there are few vampire bats that people usually skip, but I don’t do that. Why? Because it only takes me a little bit more time and I have a chance for quite a decent drops, which I usually do get from them.

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

one thing people should do is if they DO tend to skip a lot, let people knwo ahead of time. ESPECIALLY if you know someone’s new in the group! because by the time the first/second-timer or someone who always fights suddenly sees everyone jetting, they are already reacting a second too late, which using AC as an example can be guaranteed down / death if they’re running head first into two scavengers leap attack. sure, we should all have situational awareness, but yea. haha fresh in my mind because it happened to someone the other day when running AC. and then the person who skipped ahead went sigh. and didn’t even bother coming back to help or res. it just makes it worse for themselves. if they’re going for a speed run, let people know so you can at least agree on terms and have things work out, instead of letting / watching people die and then you end up wasting your own precious time.

True. The thing about skipping is that if you are unfortunately killed and lay in the middle of the mob, you will most likely have to respawn. The best case scenario is another team member runs with you. If you are the last mob, the team can possibly kill the mob to rezzed you. But respawning is very likely.

However, I find there is a slight issue with new comers who do not communicate to the team that they are new. It is as bad as not communicating the intentions to skip or otherwise. There are tell-tale signs of new comers but there are not 100% accurate. But when it is time to skip, they generally cant keep up and when they lay dead within aggro range, they get frustrated at why they don’t get rezzed.

Hardist.3104

Yeah newcomers should mention it, especially when they are level 80’s. AC is the first dungeon that you can do (at least the first one that you are eligible for, so I expect people to play it. So when I have level 80’s in my party, I do not expect them to be new to the dungeon, but they are there, and there’s a lot of them. So maybe it’s also a good thing to ask if they are new or not. I used to do that, but I am not doing that anymore, so I think it’s my own bad in that case.

But glad to see people do agree on some level with what I said, feels good that I am not the only one.

Posted by: Valmarius.4150

Valmarius.4150

I prefer to fight Kholer (and most other skippable mobs, even trash). as he’s fun, not too hard, and gives good money. That said, I’ll happily go with what the rest of the group wants, and won’t let it bother me,

What I hate, though, is no communication before skipping things. Often, I’ve found the party leader, and perhaps one of his guild memers, will just start running, which is especially annoying if I’ve (guardian) just jumped in to get the attention of the mob. Will it really ruin your “speed run” so much, to take a second and say “we’re skipping this part”, before we get to it?

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i enjoy watching kohler fights the troll…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

ahh, good point re: newcomers mentioning to the party that it’s their first time or they’ve done it before but don’t know it well. i always did that when i first started and wasl lucky enough to have patient party members again. if not, worse case is i don’t get to do that dungeon run with people i didn’t know to begin with.

so communication is key – not just in terms of how to approach a battle, but in regards to everyone’s experience if needed, as well as what they plan to skip, how to do so and what mobs they’re going to take down regardless.

if only we could all start on the same page. ; )))

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Ninth Requiem.3250

Ninth Requiem.3250

I prefer to fight Kholer (and most other skippable mobs, even trash). as he’s fun, not too hard, and gives good money. That said, I’ll happily go with what the rest of the group wants, and won’t let it bother me,

What I hate, though, is no communication before skipping things. Often, I’ve found the party leader, and perhaps one of his guild memers, will just start running, which is especially annoying if I’ve (guardian) just jumped in to get the attention of the mob. Will it really ruin your “speed run” so much, to take a second and say “we’re skipping this part”, before we get to it?

I’ve found this too – SE and TA seem to be the biggest problem areas on this.

On Kholer, I always prefer to fight him. Fairly quick, pretty easy when you look for the easy telegraph, and even if you do get pulled all you need to do is pop a stun breaker and dodge away. Deaths are rare, it only takes a few minutes at most, and you get 3 tokens out of it.
I don’t see anything wrong with pulling the boss away from the adds – it’s not that I’m not good enough to go up against them all together, it just makes no sense to make things harder than they need to be. It’s just basic strategy.

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

Anet employee said Skipping Kholer is okay, I think the thread was titled Exploiting Kholer or something. . I skip too, I can do everything fine. Its just for fast runs.

AmateurNet

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

I started not skipping him after they increased the silver drops. With omnomberry bars which my group runs you get 14s + a bag + chest for a 2-3 minute fight so it’s more worth it now. Before this, we always skipped him. I probably had over 100 runs without ever fighting him.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

Posted by: Henryik.8260

Henryik.8260

Funny you mention its “bonus event” yourself. whats wrong not wanting a stupid bonus event that gives u nothing other than 17k xp? The boss doesn’t even drop loot.

And for Kholer, yet another player who thinks that killing kholer makes one so uberly skilled. Tell you what, Kholer was BORING. He was simply there to slow down your progress, and gives you a waypoint you don’t even need. OK you can time your arrow keys and dodge his pulls, so what? That doesnt make you are a skilled player. Some people just want a quick dungeon done skipping as much trash as possible. If you really like to kill everything, ask before.

TL;DR: Killing everything doesn’t make you good. Learn to cope with different play styles.

Posted by: fourpoundburrito.1698

fourpoundburrito.1698

Anet has commented on these forums that Kholer was meant to be an optional boss. There are trade offs either way: if you beat him you get silver, a chest, and a waypoint. If you skip him you get through your run faster (provided people don’t die and need to run from further away).