Slothasor Request

Slothasor Request

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Annor.3128

Annor.3128

Q:

Ok. So I’d like to ask the ‘community’ for a short Sloth guide on how to properly eat mushrooms when killing him ‘mid way’. I dunno how it’s in higher tier groups but from my experience in low/mid Li’s squads this aspect seems to be a real issue. I’ve been searching for a video that explains this shroom by shroom from a slubling’s perspective and I ended up finding nothing worthwile as a guide. If anyone could help me out here it would be a huge help.
(P.S. My regular group has been able to kill Sloth several times but the wall tactic isn’t too reliable/consistent so we’re looking to improve it this way.)

Slothasor Request

Posted by: Fluffy.1932

Fluffy.1932

A:

I’ve attached a photo where I mocked up the strategy I like doing in my groups.

Key:
Red – first shroom required
Pink – first shroom optional
Green – second shroom required
Light Green – second shroom optional
Blue – third shroom required
Light Blue – third shroom optional
Yellow – fourth shroom required
Orange – eaten by first shroom on first go-around, and fourth on the second. Required for both.

The optional shrooms can be taken for a variety of reasons. Some allow the next slub to eat without walking on poison. Some allow teammates more room to maneuver and drop off bombs.

This strategy has people stay in slub longer than some other strats. This means there is a longer period without one of your dps and where you can’t epi. However the tradeoff is that you eat a lot of space giving you places to go when dodging mechanics, so I think it is generally safer.

A really big thing is do NOT eat past your allotted section. If you eat too far, then the poison will catch up to you a lot faster in that next section. Also keep this in mind when deciding the order that you eat your shrooms. The ones you eat first will respawn first, so a lot of the times it is better to eat the shrooms in the middle last or close to it.

Attachments:

Fluffy Fuz
The Edge of Oblivion [EDGE]

Slothasor Request

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Mush 1: basically eat to the middle, then eat towards Mushroom 2.
Mush 2: Eat along the outside towards Mushroom 3, then eat towards the inside towards the group. Group holds AoEs. This ensures that the last mushroom you at in the middle is the last to fill back up.
Mush 3: Eat around the outside to Mushroom 4, then back towards the middle as with Mushroom 2.
Mush 4: Eat around the outside to Mushroom 1, then towards the middle.

Repeat. Kill should happen usually around Mushroom 2-3 on second round.

That’s one way to eat inside. There’s an alternate way as well, which I’m not familiar with.

This video shows one way too. Pause and re-watch multiple times to get the pattern: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWO-9zdVJlc

(edited by Rashy.4165)

Slothasor Request

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Basically each slub eats in the shape of an L moving from current to next shroom. (Note you may have to rotate the L but point remains the same.)

Slothasor Request

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

One thing that I don’t think many know is that if you don’t have to eat many shrooms (closer to the middle usually) it’s actually helpful to eat your shrooms a bit slower (wait like ~1 second before eating it).

The thing is that if you eat the last shroom long before the next subling spawns your room actually becomes smaller at one point and you will have to move the boss quicker.

Of course if your group has no problems and moves fast you can eat quick and deal more DPS because of that.

Slothasor Request

Posted by: Annor.3128

Annor.3128

Thank you all for your response. This will be a a huge help for anyone struggling with this aspect.

Slothasor Request

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

One thing that I don’t think many know is that if you don’t have to eat many shrooms (closer to the middle usually) it’s actually helpful to eat your shrooms a bit slower (wait like ~1 second before eating it).

The thing is that if you eat the last shroom long before the next subling spawns your room actually becomes smaller at one point and you will have to move the boss quicker.

Of course if your group has no problems and moves fast you can eat quick and deal more DPS because of that.

I feel like there’s an art form to this, where u have to actually undergo a couple wipes (with most fingers invariably pointed towards you) before u can begin to perfect thr craft. It’s similar to something like learning to melee t4 chaos end boss with pugs while balancing dps with survival I.e. not downing thru entire fight. It’s messy and chaotic but through the thick and thin there is some measure of transcendence to be gleaned in the conquest of that trivial feat by itself.

Most ppl I come across usually seem to give the advice to ‘not eat more than 3-4 shrooms’. In retrospect this is actually pretty good advice, as this shorthand is actually the most concise explanation u can give to pugs. To explain the logistics of it to the typical unsuspecting casual would probably be more trouble than it’s worth, at least with the in-game chat. Almost as worse as having pugs explain the order for cannons in Sab in shorthand (cue unnecessary headache if not tasked with cannoneers). This shorthand actually takes into account the limited time as slubling to further allow it to set the pace for you. Which I suppose is also why why pugs have a predilection to eat through mid.. it generally doesn’t matter at what pace u eat the shrooms or if u start or end early, since fulfilling that arbitrary upper ceiling limit on how many to eat is by itself usually good enough. So you really don’t have to count how many x seconds to wait betwixt consuming shrooms, or count how much ticks u have left on the counter for slub form or what have u.

The way I do it is a little more cost-efficient (I think) but also a little more reliant on constant observation to successfully pull it off. So basically I only eat those max amount of shrooms as mentioned, but have my own way of ascertaining at what pace to move so as to preclude the possibilities of either going at too slow a pace and risk stalling them indefinitely, or panic eating too fast and thus hampering ur grp by further constricting the free space they have allotted as their safe zone. Either tactics can be problematic enough to warrant a group wipe. So rather than count the seconds in between, I find it’s more practical to espy ur group and intermittently take note of their positioning relative to u, but more importantly to keep a track of how quickly the poison on their footsteps is sluggishly creeping towards them. So suppose u freeze frame and witness at a particular instant in time that their playing field has receded by some extent, then u even that playing field by eating the next shroom in line at that point in time. I actually find it’s less of a hassle to tackle it with this method but of course the obvious downside is that u are reduced more or less to playing watchdog, an approach that might not suit everyone’s playstyle admittedly. But then again, to each their own.

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Slothasor Request

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

Mind you mid tactic requires optimal dps otherwise it can turn into a clusterkitten. I just do wall when with pugs just to be safe.

Slothasor Request

Fluffy.1932

Mind you mid tactic requires optimal dps otherwise it can turn into a clusterkitten. I just do wall when with pugs just to be safe.

Can you clarify how wall requires less dps? I find mid to be much safer because you are much more able to cleave down the adds. Fewer adds means less pressure in the later stages of the fight.

Fluffy Fuz

Slothasor Request

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

The positioning during the wall tactic is much easier in pugs. Virtually, you have a straight line. One is pulling Sloth in front, the rest is following and reacting to the mechanics. The mid tactic requires more awareness and I’m only a fan of it if the group is decent + nobody would do the slightest mistake.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Slothasor Request

Fluffy.1932

How do you cleave down adds with the wall tactic? In my experience the difficulty of the fight is directly proportional to how many adds there are. Being along the wall would make it much more difficult to kill adds.

Fluffy Fuz

Slothasor Request

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

You can pull most of the adds and still use epidemic. Sure, you won’t get them all but in decent groups it is enough not getting into much trouble.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Slothasor Request

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

How do you cleave down adds with the wall tactic? In my experience the difficulty of the fight is directly proportional to how many adds there are. Being along the wall would make it much more difficult to kill adds.

You can have the slubling eat slightly towards the middle after the second and 4th shrooms. That puts all the adds within easy pull and aoe range.