Snowblind elemental source strats?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

Q:

I am kinda curious on what kind of strats you guys use to kill the ele source as fast as possible.

List of strategies:

5 man:
1: Suicide strat and burning the ele source to 50% by face tank suiciding and then rushing in to nuke the rest. I don’t think it is the most efficient way since dying and running back takes about 1minute.

2: using the “normal” strategy. Keep fire lit, burst source to almost phase get warmth and then phase, run around houses, kill any aggroed Elementals, rinse and repeat. You won’t wipe if everyone plays well.

3: Non-eles attack the adds if too many agroed otherwise just try to go for the source.

4: Apparently I was told it was possible to stay alive without killing any vets. So basically suicide strat done right.

Low man setting:

1: to run all the way back to the svanir bonfire to ooc.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

(edited by EcoRI.9273)

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

God, let me know if you find something. I hate that fight so much. It was bearable with the destruction of the top part, now it’s just… ugh.

Posted by: Titanimite.2534

Titanimite.2534

To my knowledge, Elementals will spawn in groups of 5 every 25% and they spawn regardless of how many are alive. We usually kill the two Elementals that spawn closest to us and LOS them on one of the tents then DPS the source and repeat. You could try having a Guardian aggro them and pull them away from the group but to my knowledge the source will still spawn 5. If the guardian was able to stay up and keep aggroing them every phase I could see it working in theory.

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

For a full party: using the “normal” strategy. Keep fire lit, burst source to almost phase get warmth and then phase, run around houses, kill any aggroed Elementals, rinse and repeat. You won’t wipe if everyone plays well. Thinking about it though, this might actually be somewhat slower than your suicide strategy, and is definitely slower if you do end up wiping or near-wiping at any point.

For low man: run back to the ice wall campfire ooc spot during the blizzard, work on killing necessary elementals on the way back, ooc again, repeat as many times as necessary.

As I understand it (never rigorously tested, so this is basically just a hypothesis), the source won’t spawn new elementals until the specific ‘old’ elemental that spawned in a particular spot is dead. I have come to form this hypothesis because it appears as if untouched elementals after a phase don’t have a new elemental spawn in that spot during the next phase. Of course, I’ve never tried to draw exising elementals far away and then phase the source, which would need to be done in order to try and falsify the hypothesis, and which would also need to be done to answer your question.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I know I’ve had stacked Elementals, like 2 in the exact same spot, always figured it was just from the next wave.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

The exact same amount of eles spawns every 25% hp. So yes you can get 3 eles perfectly stacked inside each other.

The common old strat was to run round the outside to a bonfire marked on your minimap to avoid aggro. Then only aggro the elementals close to that. So you only ever kill 1 or 2 elementals each wave. Sometimes people spawn right next to them which causes annoying aggro though.

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

The exact same amount of eles spawns every 25% hp. So yes you can get 3 eles perfectly stacked inside each other.

The common old strat was to run round the outside to a bonfire marked on your minimap to avoid aggro. Then only aggro the elementals close to that. So you only ever kill 1 or 2 elementals each wave. Sometimes people spawn right next to them which causes annoying aggro though.

=) I wouldn’t call it old, it’s the strategy I use and teach with the reason of keeping it a 5v1 fight as long as possable. I’m alittle worried now cause I’ve always used this strategy because well.. it makes sense and it is my normal. U’know " how everyone does it "
So this is an eye opener, will be interesting to see the other strategies and even try make/test them and others out.

Sarah

EcoRI.9273

I wonder if it is possible for the guardian and warrior to just pull all the mobs for all 3 phases of the blizzard(by speccing tank) and stay alive. Then have the 1 thief2eles nuke while being safe. This will eliminate 1minute of time needed for the suicide and considering that the majority of DPS comes from meteor shower/ icebow, sacrificing guardian/warrior to tank might be worth it.

EcoRI.9273

The problem with this strat is it takes about 30seconds – 1minute to pull off. and when you do it 3 times, it is 30seconds slower at its best compared to the suicide method.

spoj.9672

Yeah well ive never worried about time on that fractal. So thats just what we have always done. If you do it right its pretty fast. The eles can hit the source while the guard/others are reflecting and killing the elementals by the fire.

Im sure you know of this already. But when using icebow, meteor shower and glyph of storms. Cast it on the very tip of the top of the source. All the aoes should land on the top. Not a single wasted impact. :>

(edited by spoj.9672)

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Yeah well ive never worried about time on that fractal

This is why your runs take 45 minutes instead of 20-25 on average.

filthy casual.

;)

spoj.9672

Hehe you got me. :>

Posted by: Aldarn.4650

Aldarn.4650

From my experience the Ele spawns are somewhat bugged, even on the first snowstorm you can get 2-3 eles spawning stacked on the same spot.

When you could destroy the top of the source we used to ignore the elementals as much as possible. After the snowstorm we’d all meet at the same fire, eles would just Meteor shower the source and ignore the adds, any Icebows doing the same. Non-eles would attack the adds if too many agroed otherwise just try to go for the source. Kind of a half way between suiciding and playing it safe by killing the eles.

Its a lot harder to do now as the extra CC from the swirl is very disruptive and the bugged spawns seem more frequent, so you need to put a bit more focus onto the adds. I had a look at a few of our more recent runs, the source fight is taking us around 2mins, I’d guess thats probably faster than suiciding?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I am most of the time not in 5 man parties for fotm and I usually end up having to run all the way back to the svanir bonfire to ooc because of really annoying RNG where it teleports me to the middle where all the elementals aggro.