So... Were Raids a Success?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: ZachAttack.3957

ZachAttack.3957

Hey guys. Since quite a few people have had the chance to try out raids this far, I’d like to ask the question- were they what you were expecting? Too easy? Too hard? Just right? I’ve been watching quite a few streams and groups are going for hours without beating the first boss, so it seems in a pretty solid place… For now.

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

Saying they were a success would, IMO, be an understatement of how good they are. Wing 1 is absolutely amazing; it’s well-designed and well-tuned raid encounters paired with GW2’s fantastic combat system. It’s very tough (but appropriately tough), and very rewarding. That feeling you get when you progress further in the raid is pretty great.

Just my .02, for whatever it may be worth.

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Outside the ‘other news’ today, Raids are well-received by everyone I have talked to.

…Though its getting kinda annoying hearing ‘THIS IS FUN’ 10x over from 6 different people. Man people were starved for content…

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Kormeg.2469

Kormeg.2469

Man people were starved for content…

HoT launched with nothing except for event chains for group content, so yeah.

It’s the most fun I’ve personally had in this game in years.

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

The answer really depends on what you enjoy. Do you like teaming with 9 other people and hoping everyone knows what to do? Yes, it is great content. Do you prefer smaller group? Then no you won’t like it. Do you enjoy strategic long fights? Yes you will like it. Do you like shorter fights? No you won’t like it. It just depends.

Also, the one thing that does need to be changed is that the entry point needs to be removed from VB. It messes up the events there too much,

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

They are so amazing, even though I never managed to beat the first boss, got him to 20% tho. Been playing for 10 hours straight and just having so much fun getting rekt. Because we know that it’s possible and we keep improving.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

So far they seem OK. I just hope that Arena will not find it to be a great idea to switch raiding into THE thing players are supposed to be doing (ie. more focus on developing new raid wings instead of various other content). There is a reason why I decided to make GW2 my MMO home and in large part that is because I wanted to escape from the “raid or die” design which is prevalent in many competing games. I looked at “no raids” as a positive feature. Now when Arena decided to backtrack on that, I am willing to accept those raids and do them from time to time but it will pose a problem if at some point I will feel forced to do them.

Posted by: Korppi.8452

Korppi.8452

So far they seem OK. I just hope that Arena will not find it to be a great idea to switch raiding into THE thing players are supposed to be doing (ie. more focus on developing new raid wings instead of various other content). There is a reason why I decided to make GW2 my MMO home and in large part that is because I wanted to escape from the “raid or die” design which is prevalent in many competing games. I looked at “no raids” as a positive feature. Now when Arena decided to backtrack on that, I am willing to accept those raids and do them from time to time but it will pose a problem if at some point I will feel forced to do them.

Players on my friendlist were all doing raid. I felt lonely. Wvw is pretty dead in EU. Gw2 is becoming to be another WoW clone. Maybe it is time to move back to Eve online.
In a way I am very happy about this.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

It was probably the worst part of the game so far from my experiences.

There was always a gap in one aspect of the group or another. When our group failed to kill the red boss in time, I switched over to a condition build from my heal/aegis guardian since we already had a druid and a tempest saying that they wanted to heal, and people started dropping left and right due to taking too much damage.

Then in the next group, our only boon stripper was a condition necromancer, so when the split happened, they ran off to red, and blue didn’t die in time. I’d have offered to switch to my chronomancer, but, as I was also part of the already anemic condition team,

Our toughness person kept kiting the boss out of our damage fields, people tried to dodge my guardian’s healing symbols, either everyone or no one rushed to catch the orbs, and didn’t listen when I suggested that the people with strong ranged options (Staff elementalists, Longbow berserkers, dragonhunters, condition necromancers, etc.) set aside 5 people with the duty of catching it so that everyone else can maintain full melee DPS uptime.

It was awful.

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

Honestly I’m disappointed, I wanted a fight not a mini-game/gimmick. For HoT only VB has bosses that are in the right direction minus the zerg-fest, 5 ish people per boss is fun, more is just boring. Please break megaservers again lol. They could work on more diverse behavioral mechanics instead of mini-games.

Dodge duck dip dive dodge…and block, countering, stepping in and out – that’s a fight

Guess this is the direction they’re heading.

(edited by Bread.7516)

warbignime.4610

Honestly I’m disappointed, I wanted a fight not a mini-game/gimmick. For HoT only VB has bosses that are in the right direction (minus the zerg fest). They could work on more diverse behavioral mechanics instead of mini-games.

Dodge duck dip dive dodge…and block, countering, stepping in and out – that’s a fight

If by minigame you mean to actually use brain and think rather than mindlessly press 1 then of course it is.

Bread.7516

Honestly I’m disappointed, I wanted a fight not a mini-game/gimmick. For HoT only VB has bosses that are in the right direction (minus the zerg fest). They could work on more diverse behavioral mechanics instead of mini-games.

If by minigame you mean to actually use brain and think rather than mindlessly press 1 then of course it is.

You mean something everyone has figured out on release? It’s mostly just awareness than anything, not “brain” or analysis; simple observation really.

I want a fight. Block right, dodge right, step in and out. If you don’t understand this then I guess you have no combat experience

fyi – chronomancer, so no, not press 1.

(edited by Bread.7516)

warbignime.4610

You mean something everyone has figured out on release? It’s mostly just awareness than anything, not “brain” or analysis; simple observation really.

I want a fight. Block right, dodge right, step in and out. If you don’t understand this then I guess you have no combat experience

And using cc, spliting groups and positionimg are not? what a joke.

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I can see it being super fun if u have ppl with same mind n skillset, failing cuz of playerskill really is annyoing in the long run.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Bread.7516

And using cc, splitting groups and positionimg are not? what a joke.

Who said im against CC and splitting groups? positioning in terms of combat is a thing, positioning for the sake of positioning is…a gimmick. Please play an action game or learn how to fight/shoot/military tactics for the very least., you need insight on combat.

This is a feedback thread, I put in my feedback. If you want to play this game, im happy to do so this with you until im bored. Sorry, but you’re the joke. Probably just play mmos all day every day

(edited by Bread.7516)

Posted by: Goldenrevolver.4371

Goldenrevolver.4371

Probably just play mmos all day every day

was that supposed to be an insult? if youre in the target group for this late game content raids you are a veteran. so you cant insult somebody with actually having played the game and enjoying it. if u havent played this game so much that u actually stayed for the 3 years content gap then why are u looking at raids anyways? u say its contructive feedback but it seems youre just here to insult people

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Were raids success?

Depends what you might call a success. Most players at least tried it. Most players also failed at first boss. As the wipes continue, I expect most people lose interest and return to whatever they were doing before raid release. I suppose the really dedicated players will spend long time in raid(s) and eventually master all of them but it will be very small group of overall players. Most people will quickly get bored and ignore it.

Should Anet throw so much time and money on developing something only few players enjoy? Not really. Should they instead improve for example wvw, played by many more people and ignored for so long? Yes.

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

I’ve played raids for 4h straight since launch with guildies, we still didn’t managed to kill vale guardian but was a tremendous fun.

Makes you really think, makes you really reactive and aware. This is the content GW2 needs.

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Bread.7516

Probably just play mmos all day every day

was that supposed to be an insult? if youre in the target group for this late game content raids you are a veteran. so you cant insult somebody with actually having played the game and enjoying it. if u havent played this game so much that u actually stayed for the 3 years content gap then why are u looking at raids anyways? u say its contructive feedback but it seems youre just here to insult people

First was constructive, following was insult. Yes it is, it means that’s ALL they play and have no variety in the gaming genre. I can insult him because he’s a condescending prick, so ill be a bigger prick to him.

I’m a player since release and I play the hard content with a group of people i trust. I was looking at raids because initially HoT showed me good potential on anet’s direction on combat, as i said in my first post im disappointed which is my personal opinion.

(edited by Bread.7516)

ZachAttack.3957

Were raids success?

Depends what you might call a success. Most players at least tried it. Most players also failed at first boss. As the wipes continue, I expect most people lose interest and return to whatever they were doing before raid release. I suppose the really dedicated players will spend long time in raid(s) and eventually master all of them but it will be very small group of overall players. Most people will quickly get bored and ignore it.

Should Anet throw so much time and money on developing something only few players enjoy? Not really. Should they instead improve for example wvw, played by many more people and ignored for so long? Yes.

But can you really say they’ve ignored wvw? I mean you guys just got a whole new borderland. Even if you don’t like it, you can’t really say you’ve been ignored.

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Knowing what to do isn’t the hard part, it’s the min maxing to get pure dps out of everyone which to some is not how they like to play unfortunately , by being forced to run a certain stat/ weapon set

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

The main complaints seem to come from people who don’t see or like raids as/for what they actually are:
Endgame content that only coordinated groups can deal with (right now at least). Not something you can do without practice, min maxing, proper coordination and communication.
And it is about freaking time we got content like this.

Our group (bunch of friends and randoms) saw it as something that was quite challenging but doable with some amount of time dedicated to it. There is room for build adjustments and a lot of personal improvement.
Feels good to get excited about PvE again, to take some time to brainstorm or talk over strategies and stuff like that.

Posted by: Bloodyhell.8760

Bloodyhell.8760

Oh my…!

I’ve read literally hundreds of threat about the lack of end game content and the lack of difficult content.

Please, don’t tell us know that raid are too hard!

they were out for a day!

Even cof was hard the first day.

Enjoy the discover and don’t have a doubt, pugs in a way or in the other, will level up to front this “hard” content as soon as meta, guide, video will be released for raids too.

I agree with those who wrote “we keep on trying and improving”. Perfect. what’s better of this in a mmo? And we all have been rewarded also for have tried many times, that is even more perfect.

On another point of view, If the only choise a player has to do a content is to pug, so why that player is in an mmo? At least I expect that some content in a game like an mmo require high experience, good party coordination and so on.

We’ve got probably the first content, after kidden guild mission, to do as a guild.

Ahhhh, finally!

(edited by Bloodyhell.8760)

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yea, I definitely think raids are a success. I’d give a score of 9/10.

On paper, it’s sad that there’s still a big emphasis on zerk builds, but in practice, it doesn’t feel anything like the zerk meta of dungeons. A large part of this is that DPS tends to be more reliant on your performance than your gear. Yes, you will need high damage stats, but those don’t mean anything if you’re getting downed or are running around unnecessarily.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

But can you really say they’ve ignored wvw? I mean you guys just got a whole new borderland. Even if you don’t like it, you can’t really say you’ve been ignored.

Yes, rub the salt into wounds…

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I’m really surprised at the level of vitriol being posted here and in other threads regarding raids. It’s been an invigorating experience for me and my guild, and has been a refreshing challenge for players who have for so long grown complacent in the face of the easy Dungeons and Fractals of yesteryear. It has been a resounding success in my eyes, and is really driving a lot of casual players I know to get good in order to beat it. This is the content GW2 has always needed, and I’m glad it’s finally here. I can’t wait for more.

Saying they were a success would, IMO, be an understatement of how good they are. Wing 1 is absolutely amazing; it’s well-designed and well-tuned raid encounters paired with GW2’s fantastic combat system. It’s very tough (but appropriately tough), and very rewarding. That feeling you get when you progress further in the raid is pretty great.

This is the best quote I can make to reflect my feelings appropriately. Seriously, ANet, you did great here.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I’m really surprised at the level of vitriol being posted here and in other threads regarding raids. It’s been an invigorating experience for me and my guild, and has been a refreshing challenge for players who have for so long grown complacent in the face of the easy Dungeons and Fractals of yesteryear. It has been a resounding success in my eyes, and is really driving a lot of casual players I know to get good in order to beat it. This is the content GW2 has always needed, and I’m glad it’s finally here. I can’t wait for more.

This is the best quote I can make to reflect my feelings appropriately. Seriously, ANet, you did great here.

Well, forums overall are generally a pretty terrible way to get a feel for how much people like something. You can see how vocal people are willing to be about something they don’t like, but you often see that because:

1) Players love the game so much and are so invested that any flaw strikes a sensitive chord with them and invokes a lot of passion.
and/or
2) Players who are struggling to find a game that scratches their gaming itch get particularly upset that they can’t find what they’re looking for and focus their grievances at the game that comes so close, yet is so far from what they really need.

And really, a lot of people prefer to post about negative things rather than positive things. I don’t think it’s because these are all angry trolls who want to wallow in the mud of their misery. On the contrary, I think a lot of times the problems that people perceive catch their attentions because they like the idea of making the world around them better on some level. Now…this good intention can still easily turn sour when that person finds themself powerless to be the agent of change they wish they could be and that frustration can make the focused, engaged player into an angsty, enraged one. =P

/end philosophical-psychological tangent

ZachAttack.3957

I agree with you. I haven’t run it, but based on the streams I’ve watched and the discussions regarding it raids seem like a pretty good success.

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Were raids success?

Actually the new borderland proves that the WvW community has been ignored.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

Were raids success?

How so? You gonna support your claim, or just make it?

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Were raids success?

Difficult to move, bad places for apropiate big groups fights, cant use much rotating strategies because its difficult to move.

Its more like a roamers set of maps that give exceltn palces to fight enemies, without them retreatring also., witch isnt bad.

Problem its that they eliminated the old borderlands and it seems theres less roamers than big groups.

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

Were raids success?

Difficult to move, bad places for apropiate big groups fights, cant use much rotating strategies because its difficult to move.

Its more like a roamers set of maps that give exceltn palces to fight enemies, without them retreatring also., witch isnt bad.

Problem its that they eliminated the old borderlands and it seems theres less roamers than big groups.

Thank you, it’s nice to see actual explanations lol. I have not experienced the new BL maps much, but they seem at the same time far too spacious and far too crowded. If Anet’s goal was to incentivize actually staying on plots of land instead of the rotating karma trains of olde, they succeeded but only by making it difficult to actually move around.

In terms of eliminating the old borderlands, I’m sure we all remember how empty they got after EotM was released. More maps does not equal better play quality. I think getting rid of the old maps was the right choice (assuming of course they needed to make the new ones) though I wish they’d gone more along the lines of shrinking the old ones rather than simply rehauling them. That or increased mobility significantly

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

ZachAttack.3957

Were raids success?

Thank you, it’s nice to see actual explanations lol. I have not experienced the new BL maps much, but they seem at the same time far too spacious and far too crowded. If Anet’s goal was to incentivize actually staying on plots of land instead of the rotating karma trains of olde, they succeeded but only by making it difficult to actually move around.

In terms of eliminating the old borderlands, I’m sure we all remember how empty they got after EotM was released. More maps does not equal better play quality. I think getting rid of the old maps was the right choice (assuming of course they needed to make the new ones) though I wish they’d gone more along the lines of shrinking the old ones rather than simply rehauling them. That or increased mobility significantly

They haven’t got rid of the old maps. They are on a rotation with the new ones. Although I wouldn’t consider new borderlands “ignoring” you guys. They tried to bring new and exciting content, and it’s trying that means they were not ignoring you. The success of their endeavour is another matter entirely.

(edited by ZachAttack.3957)

Posted by: Alex Eternity.8195

Alex Eternity.8195

I also have to say, anet outdid themselves with this raid! After a long time, i had actual fun playing, i was happy at failing, i was eager to improve. This is great gameplay and it feels just right!

Bravo!

Warrior player – through thick and thin…

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

The raids are a lot like tennis or sex, if every one is not on the same level, some one (or) everyone leaves the room being sad.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

They haven’t got rid of the old maps. They are on a rotation with the new ones. Although I wouldn’t consider new borderlands “ignoring” you guys. They tried to bring new and exciting content, and it’s trying that means they were not ignoring you. The success of their endeavour is another matter entirely.

I’d say it’s the difference between ignoring the mode, and ignoring the players.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

ZachAttack.3957

I’d say it’s the difference between ignoring the mode, and ignoring the players.

You could say that. I don’t know though… The new maps LOOKED like a blast. I thought most people shared that point of view :P

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

Judging the raids on their own… kind of primitive.

Trash mob 1 and 2 at the entrance were quite a lot of fun, but boss 1 could be slowed down a bit on its abilities between phases.

Phase 1 is Spank-And-Kite. It’s enjoyable because the boss is alive long enough we have time to die from our forgetfulness about the green circle.

Phase 2 is where it goes wrong. In the same way that the mushroom men all across Maguuma have an instant re-usable Charge/Knockdown this boss instantly kills the group because during the split phase the green circle tends to get muted in the sound priorities, isn’t clear where it is, and there’s a lot of other particle effects going off. It really should either drop the circle altogether or set down a large circle, then a smaller circle, and finally normal size circle so people can adapt.
- Too much going on to respond to for most players is the problem here
- Too many particle sprites (even if turned down and that has fatal consequence too)

Phase 3 is like Phase 2 in that it is another instant attack. There’s no time to be where you need to be to not die. This is why people hated Aetherblade path. Anet has a Brandon Sanderson complex: “Let’s make everything instant cast and flash boom bang! WOO!” Meanwhile we’re experiencing what amounts to military grade dazzlers (blinding lights) and shock-and-awe. This is either a game or a weapon’s test. They need to decide which.

In general I think the only problem I have with raids right now is they haven’t got the pacing worked out. If they want to do a puzzle have a puzzle that has a pacing. If they want to do 6 hours of us suiciding to beta test this no thanks.

My biggest concern with this entire content is how many of us that will get through this content aren’t in fact surviving the extinction event from Guild Wars 2 being about community and everyone having fun to being about a gear-treadmill.

ZachAttack.3957

So, I ran the raids for the first time last night. Yeah, they are dang challenging. There’s so many things you have to pay attention to- lightning orbs, seekers and pushing them a way, teleports, pumping out continual DPS, phases, cooldowns, rezzing, etc. It’s crazy, and takes a lot of getting used to. But it is dang fun! I think ANet did quite a good job with it

Posted by: Xar.1387

Xar.1387

I’m still on the 1st boss (almost killed it), but its important that We’ve got a cool goal! I love it! And healing role in PvE… God… ’- ’ This is amaizing!

Well done ArenaNet!

http://Aiwe.eu
RolePlay/PvP/Raid

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

I tried the raid for the 1st time last night. Yes the fights are fun and all, but I don’t have 2 hours to spare to kill 1 boss; I had to bow out after we had reached level 4 of the vale guardian. Also, people in my group were buying new gear for boon stripping; I have my legendaries and I want to use my legendaries. And no, I don’t want to overwrite my super expensive sigils with ones tailored for a particular boss.

So the long and short of it was: I spent 2 1/2 hours of time, overwrote 2 expensive sigils on my weapons that I will have to re-buy to play other content and I recieved zero loot. Not sure it’s worth my future efforts.

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

I tried the raid for the 1st time last night. Yes the fights are fun and all, but I don’t have 2 hours to spare to kill 1 boss; I had to bow out after we had reached level 4 of the vale guardian. Also, people in my group were buying new gear for boon stripping; I have my legendaries and I want to use my legendaries. And no, I don’t want to overwrite my super expensive sigils with ones tailored for a particular boss.

So the long and short of it was: I spent 2 1/2 hours of time, overwrote 2 expensive sigils on my weapons that I will have to re-buy to play other content and I recieved zero loot. Not sure it’s worth my future efforts.

Sounds like it’s just not for you. if you don’t have time to learn the mechanics then you can’t complain about not being able to do the boss. As for overwriting anything, You don’t even have to, especially for boonstrip. So i’m not sure why you did that.