Sorrow's Embrace Fire Golem: Way Too Hard (story mode)

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Opt.3714

Opt.3714

I’m sure several people will see this thread and reply to tell me that this boss is easy because they did their research ahead of time and used suchandso-specific-build to take him down no problem. Or just tell me to dodge, use condition removal, or reflect projectiles.

Well, they’re half right. Clearly you need to respec and use a specific strategy to beat this boss—but that’s the problem. That’s a level of difficulty that should be reserved for Explorable Mode and my group (who didn’t know anything about the dungeon beforehand) was totally unprepared.

Especially given the relative ease of the rest of this dungeon’s Story Mode (still tough but doable,) a boss this much more difficult comes out of left field. Sad that we didn’t finish it, I hear the final boss is really fun.

We did try respeccing and we still wiped because the cooldowns on our condition removers, projectile reflecters, etc. were all too high to deal with the projectile attacks’ frequency, range, and damage output.

Suggestions to reduce difficulty:

• Reduce golem’s condition duration
  • Reduce golem’s power
  • Reduce range of fireball attack
  • Increase cooldown on fireball attack
http://opt.red/about Twitter: http://twitter.com/Opt__
Co-Leader, I Can Outtweet A Centaur! [TWIT] #twitguild
IGN: Optimus Maleficus

Posted by: YaHiKoDrG.3467

YaHiKoDrG.3467

He really does not need to be nerfed. My first time in there he wrecked my group and we had to graveyard zerg him to kill him. Since then I reran story mode with some friends and had 1 condition removal skill on my bar and only had to use it once. As long as you aren’t having server side lag it is very easy to dodge his attacks. I did zero research on this boss before I made it to him, it is just a easy boss when you take a moment and learn his attack animations.

Posted by: Verene.1480

Verene.1480

It is not easy to avoid or dodge his attacks at all. In fact that is the only boss (or enemy period, for that matter) that I have fought where it was so difficult to dodge the attacks. No lag at all, either.

We had condition removal. We were using it as we could. We were reflecting the projectiles back as much as we could.

The main issue is the fact that conditions are more or less encouraged by the game – most professions are going to have a huge number of skills that cause conditions, and this particular boss, on top of the ridiculous damage he does, takes conditions and turns them to heals. We respecced for fewer conditions (as best we could, with the group we had it wasn’t easy). We caught on to the attack animations very quickly (I play a Mesmer, I have to know those things to land things like Feedback and dazes correctly). It didn’t help a whole lot.

We were all significantly over the level for the dungeon (two 80s, 1 74, and 2 72s), with runed up armor and up to par weapons and such as well.

I haven’t had this much trouble with a boss since the Fire Elemental in BWE3, and considering the rest of the dungeon, this one seemed really out of whack.

Leader of I Can Outtweet a Centaur! [TWIT] | Owner of Under the Pale Tree
twitguild.enjin.com | thepaletree.net
Twitter: @LadyVerene | @TWITGuild | @ThePaleTree

Opt.3714

He really does not need to be nerfed. My first time in there he wrecked my group and we had to graveyard zerg him to kill him. Since then I reran story mode with some friends and had 1 condition removal skill on my bar and only had to use it once. As long as you aren’t having server side lag it is very easy to dodge his attacks. I did zero research on this boss before I made it to him, it is just a easy boss when you take a moment and learn his attack animations.

I have to disagree with you on all of the above. The attacks come too fast and hit too hard, even after we pulled out and redid our skills specifically to reflect projectiles and cure conditions. If you only used your cure condition skill once that’s because the rest of your group was using them for you.

Posted by: RavenDeBlade.1670

RavenDeBlade.1670

Yes that Golem is way over powered, so over powered me and none in my guild will do that ever again!

Posted by: BlackerT.2901

BlackerT.2901

it’s easy, I had to solo it cuz no one else in my group could do it/and conditions stuff

1. Don’t use any condition damage
2. Have some kind of condition removal, most people go all dps stuff but just switch into 1 condition removal at least for this boss
3. Read his animations, there’s two animations one where he’ll single target someone and fire some fireballs and then theres one where he fires 1 fireball at everyone you can just roll or walk to the side for this one
4. Being range makes 3. a lot easier, gives more time to dodge

just because it’s not a spam 12345 boss doesn’t mean its impossible

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

The two problems I had running into him was
1) His fireballs arc low, so sometimes you’d still get tagged by them if you rolled in a certain direction.
2)His healing on debuff makes for a long fight. No one should have to “respec” specifically for a boss fight because of a single mechanic.

When I faced him I didn’t get downed that often, but I’d still find myself hit by fire bolts cause of how fast he would fire them off in succession and I wouldn’t have a roll or escape up. At a certain point the fight just becomes tedious when you figure out his attacks and are just whittling it down because it’s hard pressed to change how I fight at this point. I can concede he can have debuff removal but on heal just needlessly slows down the fight.

Posted by: FrozenDream.1590

FrozenDream.1590

it’s easy, I had to solo it cuz no one else in my group could do it/and conditions stuff
1. Don’t use any condition damage
2. Have some kind of condition removal, most people go all dps stuff but just switch into 1 condition removal at least for this boss
3. Read his animations, there’s two animations one where he’ll single target someone and fire some fireballs and then theres one where he fires 1 fireball at everyone you can just roll or walk to the side for this one
4. Being range makes 3. a lot easier, gives more time to dodge
just because it’s not a spam 12345 boss doesn’t mean its impossible

well said + have 1 guy go ran into his melee range, trigger is flame spin thing and u will get way less of the fireball stuff (which is by the way very easy to dodge if u see the golem and have 1 braincell in order to memorize the animation he does before it. srsly its not that hard…)
and HEY guess what: we figured that out while fighting him !
We fought him the first time, got completly wiped, then we turned of our condition making stuff, used some cond.remove with us and our war found out the thing with the fire wheel (whicht srsly makes it a lot easier). and it was a complete random PUG group without using ts or anything like that. only chat.

plz note, that if its a pretty long discussion i may not have read every post,
therefore im sorry if i just posted some outdated stuff
also maybe a similar thread exists already, in that case im sorry for double post.

Opt.3714

I’m not bad at the game and I’m not an idiot; I know that bosses have tells and I don’t “spam 12345.” Give me the benefit of the doubt, please.

We went in there with 4 scholars and 1 adventurer and we were all speced for mobility rather than tanking, so no one was going to point blank range. If having someone up close triggers the spinning attack more and the fireballs less, that would make it a lot easier.

Still, every dungeon is supposed to be doable by any combination of professions—especially story mode. If the way to beat this boss is “have a guardian stand at point blank” then that’s no good.

Posted by: BlackerT.2901

BlackerT.2901

You don’t really need the guardian to stand point blank, just be good about dodging and using condition removal if you mess up, have two condition removals if you struggling. the boss doesn’t really charge at anyone, it just stands in 1 spot and shoots stuff

I did this as an engineer with grenade kit and used med kit and prayer to koromir , I had 1 bleed trait I couldn’t take off so I had to just deal with that. Had 3 members of my party afk while I pretty much solo dps with a mesmer helping me out if i ever died to prevent boss from resetting

Posted by: OhTeeSee.3870

OhTeeSee.3870

Pro tip, stand right under the areas where he dumps those elemtnal spawns when he pulls the chain. LoS = no fire = no damage = the fight is an enormous joke. My group walked in there and wiped for a few minutes before discovering “HEY HE CANT HURT US HERE!” Just kill the spawns as they come, then whenever hes not looking at you, chuck a boulder at his face. Really not difficult once you figure out what to do, and certainly dosnt require any over the top re-speccing or other nonsense.
Seems to me that people complaining about the boss being “too hard” may simply be fighting him the wrong way?
Not trying to be demeaning or anything but if I’m trying to shove a square block into a circular hole, it would be silly of me to contact the hole’s producers demanding they alter the shape to fit my own ill-chosen approach.

(edited by OhTeeSee.3870)

Posted by: aleiro.8521

aleiro.8521

This boss is easy if you 1) use condition removals, 2) use ranged weaponry and 3) pay attention.
ALSO DON’T FORGET TO REVIVE YOUR TEAM MATES……
SE is quite easy, just long and boring and champion fights take too long….

(edited by aleiro.8521)

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

Bring:
1) Condition removals (multiple for each person)
2) Bows
3) Ensure you’re minimizing bleeds/conditions/burns on the golem
4) Dodge

That’s it. Then just shoot him until he dies.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

Posted by: Naru.4521

Naru.4521

If it is that summon from Kudu, he is now easy as akitten Went there first time with a guild group but we failed and give up for that day. Did it again few days ago with guildies and we wiped that boss at first try like nothing. Didnt even get to downed state myself. Only what u need for that encounter is watching boss and dodge in right moment. Thats all.

There is absolutely no need to change that boss, instead there is need to boost and remake other bosses to be more fun and harder.

Only what they have to do is reduce thatkittenamount of hp, its ridiculous how much hp bosses have. I do not get why developers/ppl think that if boss/mob have milions of hp is fun.

Posted by: Crimzen.6531

Crimzen.6531

This boss does not need to be fixed in my opinion. I went there with a PuG group for the first time the other day and we downed him on the 2nd try no problem. Just watch his attacks and you can see a pattern. his auto-attacks are projectiles which are pretty standard and easy to dodge of course.When he does his AoE flame attack he always does it twice in a row(this was the case when I did it at least), so be prepared to either reflect both of them or dodge twice. Also where ever that AoE flame attack lands on the ground is where the ground aoe will form, so try not to stand still when hes doing this or you’ll end up standing in fire. I was able to gather all this just from the first time i fought him. If you just focus on paying attention to boss patterns and mechanics the first time you do an encounter it’ll make downing bosses a lot easier on the 2nd attempt or often time the first attempt if you’re able to adjust quickly enough during the fight.

While I do realize that it may seem a little unfair to have to change your build around for certain encounters, it is sometimes necessary if you don’t have any counters to what the enemy is doing or if your team doesn’t work together as well as they should when coordinating abilities and covering each other(including getting teammates back on their feet quickly if they go down). A good build can have pretty good flexibility, but if a single build could counter everything then it would be overpowered from a game design standpoint.

Guild leader of Kaiketsu<kai>
Home: Sanctum Of Rall
Profession: Thief

Opt.3714

Did any of you even read the OP? I know to dodge and remove conditions. We still got completely destroyed.

OhTeeSee.3870

Please refer to my post. Nothing in it suggests that you are a bad player like others appear to be insinuating, but rather that you may simply be doing it wrong.

Opt.3714

I think you’re talking about the final boss rather than Kudu’s fire golem?

Posted by: KittyWitty.7813

KittyWitty.7813

I personally don’t see the problem. I ran a PUG, we did fine, then we got annihilated by the second golem, no-one was dodging, everyone tried to rezz each other but got hit by the AoEs, people dying to burning etc. We wiped but changed our approach. I took condition removal, our warrior changed from rifle to bow because it has no conditions on the auto-attack our guardian took out the utility skill which reflect projectiles. We slowly killed him with rezzing, dodging and we didn’t have to resort to graveyard zerging. I think it’s a matter of you encountering a bad party.

OhTeeSee.3870

Oh! My mistake, I honestly never even realized that was the fight people were having trouble with… although granted I found the entire encounter simply way too long in terms of duration, I didn’t ever get the feeling it was overly difficult, more so overly tedious. Its the last “mega golem” boss that actually wiped my group several times before we figured out what to do, and which I thought you were referring, so again apologies for the confusion.

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

OH that final boss is freaking awesome. I figured out how to hide from the fire breath thanks to gaming logic and assumed the bolders the spawns dropped were your primary way of damaging the enemy.

Either way bolder is OP.

Posted by: Musthavename.7568

Musthavename.7568

I don’t get the complaints about the fire golem’s attack. When I ran it everyone else in my group kept dying and I was able to dodge them all fine.

What did rile me was that I went into that fight completely condition focused, which meant I was doing more harm than good. Practically everything I did caused a condition which would stack.