Spider Queen's poison aoe?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Yongguk.1830

Yongguk.1830

Q:

I’m relatively new to dungeons’ mechanics. Despite running AC for numerous of times already, knowing how to stack and all, i’m still not sure why we have to stack in a corner during Spider Queen. 98% of the time i run AC, everyone stacked tightly and one person would go out and pull the spiders and the Queen and we DPS em nicely.

Then few days ago when i ran with my guild mates, we wiped several times during the Queen. First, one person didn’t stack with us and made the Queen sprayed the poison AoE. Few tries later, one person said that its because there’s a ranger who’s ranging and when there’s one ranging whilst the rest are meleeing (and not because of the ranger was not stacking with us), it can cause the poison aoe. So he suggested to kill it inside the room, but of course, everyone else died and had to reset.

In the end we tested out this mate’s theory by telling the ranger to stay upstairs and not attacking while the rest stacked. And the Queen did not spray its poison aoe. What concerns me is that i’m pretty sure that i have had runs with rangers or people with range weapons and they were stacking tightly with us, yet the Queen never sprayed the poison.

So what caused the Queen to spray its poison aoe?

Jaywin Lannister – Guardian
Hermès Kelly – Warrior

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

A:

Its about being at range. The stacking makes sure everyone is close to her, so she doesn’t do her AOE bombs. If you want to test this, do the stack again, and midway through killing her, begin walking away from her and watch the AOE begin to pour. You can melee her anywhere and not cause the AOE, but stacking makes sure people stay nice and close.

EDIT: Related Thread https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/AC-Spider-fail-advice/first#post2995648

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

(edited by Cat Has Ducks.1982)

Posted by: Yongguk.1830

Yongguk.1830

Thank you, i’ll test that out soon.

So just to be sure, it wasn’t because of the ranger wasn’t meleeing it right? It’s because of someone moved/dodged away from the Queen’s range? So annoying because this guild mate keeps insisting that its because we’re not 100% melee.

Jaywin Lannister – Guardian
Hermès Kelly – Warrior

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

Nevermind me I mesread something.

Defeated by packet loss.

(edited by TKiller.6829)

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Thank you, i’ll test that out soon.

So just to be sure, it wasn’t because of the ranger wasn’t meleeing it right? It’s because of someone moved/dodged away from the Queen’s range? So annoying because this guild mate keeps insisting that its because we’re not 100% melee.

Exactly. Even small movements away from her can cause it. So be very careful about how about how much movement you do. I generally just stay glued in that corner.(With a few times of accidentally going into her, but that doesn’t cause anything except making her move closer).

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Posted by: Miaire.5468

Miaire.5468

I am thinking if maybe it’s because of the pet that causes the Spider Queen to detect movement.
Ranger Sword #2 and #3 causes movement too.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I am thinking if maybe it’s because of the pet that causes the Spider Queen to detect movement.
Ranger Sword #2 and #3 causes movement too.

There is also the NPC …

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I always figured it was the pillar blocking the AOE or something. Sometimes the puller doesn’t do it right and the Queen follows you behind the pillar and everything just falls apart from there, even if she’s still right on top of everyone.

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

She only does the poison AoE when she targets someone she can’t hit with her melee attack. So, sometimes you can go for quite some time outside of that range without her throwing the AoE out, and sometimes accidentally dodging (or ranger sword 2 leaping) out of her range will trigger it almost automatically. If you have to range to do good damage or whatever, that’s fine, just stay stacked.