*Spoilers* The Zhaitan fight was extremely anti-climatic

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Searingarrow.4637

Searingarrow.4637

Everything leading up to the Zhaitan fight was fantastic and had me on the edge of my seat. But when we actually got to fight Zhaitan it was incredibly anti-climatic and boring. Getting on the cannons and pressing 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 wasn’t really my hopes for the end game main boss.

How I pictured the fight being:

Lets rewind to when we hit Zhaitan with the mega laser and go from there. Hitting zhaitan with the laser would have made him start to fall from the sky. He would grab onto the side of the ship with his hand and pull himself onto the front of the ship with his head and wings being the only thing above the ship (Crappy halfkitten concept art: http://i.imgur.com/FRHB6.jpg his hands would be holding onto the sides of the ship behind the wing) The players would then have to run up and fight Zhaitan’s tentacle-mouth-head-things. The heads could have some mechanic that makes one grab hold of a party member and deal damage to them and everyone in the party would have to switch targets and hit it to free him. When a head is defeated it could be sucked back into the green thing on Zhaitan’s head that they call come out of and would lower the damage the party is taking as a result… His wings could also shoot projectiles that explode in an AoE. The entire time you’re fighting Zhaitan’s tentacles and the adds he’s spawning the mega laser would be charging up. Once the laser is fully charged it would fire at Zhaitan’s head and knock him off the ship.

He would then enter a flying mode where he flys by the side of the ship (Its random which side he comes by each time and he can come from the back or from the front) firing some undead projectiles at the ship. The players have to then shoot the projectiles with the cannons before the projectiles hit the cannon. If one of the projectiles hit a cannon it would break the cannon and spawn adds. You would then have to protect an engineer from the adds while they fix the cannon. After a certain amount of times he’s flown by (say 3 for example) he will fly up by the ship and the players will have to shoot at his wings to damage him. (insert additional mechanics for this phase here. Also here is some more crappy 5 minute concept art to show what it would be like http://i.imgur.com/hwRMO.jpg ) They’ll be able to do this for a certain amount of time before he flys off and starts shooting projectiles again. After he reaches a certain HP his wings will turn red (like they did in the current version) and he will fall once more.

In a desperate attempt to keep himself from falling to the ground and probably dying he desperatly grabs on to the ship again, but this time he impales himself on the spike on the ship (The same spike thats in the first picture and thats actually on the current model of the ship.) He will then try to use his wings to push himself off the ship. The players then run down his wings and onto his impaled chest. The players then need to attack his wings in an attempt to sever them from his body. His tentacle heads will be attacking the players once more (with new mechanics… I can’t think of any atm but will add some if I think of some) Globs of zhaitan’s blood could attack the players (insert more new mechanics for globs, its late here.) Once all the wings have been severed some of the helicopter-heads seen before in the dungeon will come to pick up the players and another one or two on the top of the ship for the NPCs and the unmanned ship would then fly zhaitan into the building he was clinging to in the current version of the dungeon to kill him.

This is just something I thought up after the fight… I think its decent. But the current version of the fight really needs to be replaced. Its sort of a huge let down… Don’t get me wrong the rest of the dungeon was absolutely amazing. I just think that Zhaitan should be the most interesting and complex fight within the launch phase of the game. (before expansions)

Thanks for reading my thread! I look forward to your feedback and if I’m lucky, a response from Arenanet.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

I was like, OMG THIS IS THE MOST FUN DUNGEON IVE EVER DONE!!! SO MUCH ACTION, then Zhaitan comes around, gets his tail blown off, hangs for his life on a tower like the end of King Kong and you just spam 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 for what… 5 minutes?
If he was weakened but still can survive a barrage of pressing 2 for that long of a time, why not change it so that we dont have to, he sends out his last set of minions, to destroy a big onboard lazer cannon on our new airship we best those minions and the lazer delivers the coupe de gras?

I mean hell, that woulda been more exciting

Posted by: Adzy.8370

Adzy.8370

yeah. worst boss fight ive ever done in any game, ever.

hell there was better boss fights on gameboy zelda games.

Posted by: Arc.1425

Arc.1425

I was glad to press 2222222 after the 2 fights before it. I was so freaking glad once the dragons-be-attackin-your-ship fight was over…then it started over again. Wanted to pull out my hair.

Searingarrow.4637

Really? The “Dragons-be-attackin-your-ship” fights were my favorite part of the dungeon.

Posted by: Eve.1029

Eve.1029

lol well I can kinda see both sides of it. I ran Arah story twice. First time w/ pugs when I just hit 80, then a few weeks later w/ my friends who were all more geared by then.

First time: Teamed died alot figuring out each part of the run, and hours later we got to the final boss. While we were a good humored group, I think we all breathed a sigh of relief when we realized we won’t be adding to the repair bill on the last boss. I think I had 2 silvers left, so anymore “fun” and I’d be naked. It was nice at the end to sit back and enjoy the scene rather than be busy dodge rolling.

Second time: me and a friend already knew the run. We moved through the story much faster. The content was challenging but we handled all of it. A few deaths, but mostly from friends messing around and jumping off the airship, not from group wipes. Got to the end, and friends that had not done Story w/ pugs were like, that’s it? no epic battle? so boring lol. Meanwhile me and my friend that did pug runs were like…. “I remember being relieved at this part”.

Posted by: barringer.7623

barringer.7623

Had high hopes for this game, made lvl 80 a week ago and it’s beginning to feel like it’s going the way of D3.

Dissapointed.

Posted by: Hildebert.4196

Hildebert.4196

Searingarrow

Really? The “Dragons-be-attackin-your-ship” fights were my favorite part of the dungeon.

That’s not the part of the dungeon we’re complaining about. We’re talking about at the very end, when fighting Zhaitan himself. The boss was pretty much “Press 2: the Game.”

Posted by: yesitsrob.8054

yesitsrob.8054

Want to echo the OP. This fight could have been epic but the dragon fights on the Ship before it were significiantly better. What should have been one of the more involved boss fights in the game was frankly one of the worse.

Posted by: GNUlix.2953

GNUlix.2953

OP is right.
Did the Arah story mode again yesterday with my guildies and the disappointment on the last fight produces more sad pandas depression than seeing Chinese people eat kittens.

Posted by: Lasur Arkinshade.4107

Lasur Arkinshade.4107

Yeah, I agree. One of my biggest gaming disappointments ever. I sincerely hope either
1) it is unfinished and will be improved
or
2) ArenaNet will make a much final battle for future expansions/content updates/ elder dragons.

Posted by: Yadda.2764

Yadda.2764

Your post is a lot more patient than mine was. I just assume it’s broken and not working as intended because of how stupid it was. That only annoyed me even more seeing as how it not only made it through the dozens of beta’s this way but also still remains in game despite the complaints.

I want an official response on whether this is intentional, unfinished or broken. I don’t even care if it’s considered “entitled”. I’m entitled to having a complete game considering I paid 60 bucks for it which funds their studio.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

It seemed more bugged than anti-climactic to me. I think something’s wrong with it.

They have the first cinematic where Zhaitan gets his tail chopped off.

Then IMMEDIATELY cut to a second cinematic where a bunch of lasers or some such fry him and turn his wing all bloody/red. The thing is…is tail is 100% perfect and complete in this second cinematic, right after he got it chopped off.

Then you just hammer 2-2-2-2-2-2 over and over again. There’s NO possible way they intended this fight to be like this. Not a single other boss in the game carries any sort of strategy like this.

Bottom line is that this fight is either just broken, or it’s incomplete and they had a deadline to meet, so it wasn’t finish-able in time. If they DID mean for it to be like this, I would desire that whoever made that call please explain yourself…

Posted by: Yadda.2764

Yadda.2764

This one bug is single handedly responsible for me telling my friends and others to steer clear of Guild Wars 2. I could tolerate the random bugs here and there, but what I cannot tolerate is a VERY important boss fight and part of the story just simply not functioning has severely impacted my opinion of ArenaNet, whether it gets fixed or was intended that way is irrelevant now as it’s just simply unacceptable on a professional level to allow something like this to pass into the general public and take their money for something that SHOULD function. There’s no “Oh, mistakes happen” like some quests, big deal. But something of this magnitude, a fundamental feature and gigantic advertising point (“This is your story!”) just simply not working? No no no, unacceptable.

Posted by: Gothdir.8953

Gothdir.8953

Yeah i have to agree, this boss fight was maybe the worst ive ever seen in a MMO game. The first thing i thought was that this fight must be broken there cant be another reason for this boring disaster.

I realized that Zhaitan is still making a lot of void zones in that phase but they arent hitting players or turrets. A friend of mine said that maybe the all the trash that comes before the boring phase arent supposed to come so fast but more spread over the event.

I think that is the most logic way. But even if it is like this, spawning dozens of risens to fight instead of actually fighting the dragon is super anticlimax-ing (if that is a word lol).

First i thought, oh the dragon falls now we land and beat the kitten out of him, then i realized, nope its over…this fight needs a fix or an overhaul or whatever…its terrible.

Khazâd ai-mênu!

Searingarrow.4637

I really hope Arenanet can come in here and shed some light on this. It was extremely disappointing. I was looking forward to the zhaitan fight ever since I first heard about elder dragons…. That was just a huge let down…

Posted by: William Fairfield.1428

William Fairfield.1428

Game Designer

Hello Everyone.

There is currently a problem with Zhaitan’s attacks during his final phase.
An upcoming patch will address this issue.

Thanks for your patience

Searingarrow.4637

Hello Everyone.

Thanks for your patience

Thank you William. I hope the fight will be much more interesting and complex… I really feel like the whole fight needs to be redone. Please don’t let it be another “kill mobs, fire cannons” encounter… While those fights were great for the dragons before Zhaitan. We want to fight zhaitan himself. Not his minions. We spent the entire leveling process doing that.

(edited by Searingarrow.4637)

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

Oh, you mean the “Hey, look at me. I’m a dragon, bro. You should probably run away…or something. Rawr,” is not what he is supposed to do? LOL.

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

Posted by: szar.9054

szar.9054

meh, if you do your personal story. You get to poke bots his eyes and beat the crap out of his mouth. the last fight is Arah is just kicking him when he is down.

Posted by: Dayrian.8973

Dayrian.8973

Hangover III: Zhaitan

Posted by: Kenral.9317

Kenral.9317

He isn’t dead, someones gotta ‘kitten’ off Joko….duh!

But ya I do think the patch is suppose to spawn minions and disable turrets.

Posted by: biggkenny.2586

biggkenny.2586

I’d have thought that it’d take a lot more to kill the elder dragon of what is basically undeath. I would expect it was similar to cell in dragonball z where you have to destroy every cell in his body. I could totally see a small dragon crawling out of the big mangled corpse, adding other bodies to its own and rebuilding itself.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

William Fairfield

Hello Everyone.

Thanks for your patience

PR language :P

But seriously, the whole community hopes we get to fight Zhaitan more closeup than the minions.

Posted by: Hobbe.5046

Hobbe.5046

I was really hoping I would get to kill Traherne…

“This isn’t going to end well” is certainly true when the bugger won’t fight.

The Old Timers Guild has great people, but horrible leaders.

Posted by: Augeaz.3670

Augeaz.3670

Deja vu… ME3 anyone?

Hope patch will bring some decent ending…

Posted by: Tehownya.3580

Tehownya.3580

I want To fight Zhaitan, not His Minions! I’ve been killing those minions since lvl30 C’mon!

Posted by: LiveSpartan.8206

LiveSpartan.8206

So far this the only thing that has disappointed me in the game I mean its freakin Zhaitan this dragon is suppose to have powers that equal to the six gods I thought he would have been a epic fight but in the end he was just cannon fodder.

Posted by: Loosifah.4738

Loosifah.4738

There will obviously be more dragons in future updates.

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

Glad to know it is actually bugged, because I did the Zhaitan fight last night and it was really dull, especially after 2 hours spent fighting my way from Straits of Devastation to the Cursed Shore all the way up to the Gates of Arah, then fighting tons of stuff for an hour and twenty minutes only to have the Zhaitan fight be a #2 spamfest for 10 minutes.

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

From what I hear, the problem isn’t with bugs during his final phase. It’s the final phase itself being unimaginative and dull. Forcing people to dodge things isn’t going to make it more memorable, just more of a nuisance. You should probably get your designers to redo the final part of the mission, into something worthy of the game. Especially considering it’s the final boss, it’s rather shameful it just degenerates into spamming cannon fire, regardless of whether you have to at times leave the controls or not.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Please ANET, have Zhaitan do new things entirely instead of sitting on the tower summoning foes and launching black circle AoEs… Bring him up close to the ship!

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

i ROFL’d when he hit the flying boat the second time, after my party hopped onto the way better “logan lives and got this new ride for us in the nick of time” boat.

i mean really? all them cannons, including the “Main Gun” was hilarious.

he shows up, cripples our current airship. that part was cool. so we jumped on Logan’s new ride, then he swipes that one, as well, seemingly right after we get aboard. Too funny.

when Zaitan went down, i thought i was gonna spawn in his cave, and admire a HUGE DRAGON-THEMED CHEST. That did not happen, and the loot was mediocre.

(edited by rgrwng.4072)

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

Guys….guys….guys…. He just fell.

We didn’t SEE him die…did we?

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

i died when i jumped from that altitude off the boat after the event, so i can only assume (since the Big Z was not wearing any armor) that he suffered worse than me.

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

Hello Everyone.

Thanks for your patience

I hope there is more wrong with just him not attacking in the final phase honestly. Everything about the fight after we shoot him with the cannon doesn’t feel right.

Posted by: barringer.7623

barringer.7623

the loot was mediocre.

Big over-statement there.

Posted by: Treltic.2396

Treltic.2396

I kept telling people I thought he should be attacking us while he is on the tower and now we know.

Posted by: ImariKurumi.5761

ImariKurumi.5761

Hello Everyone.

Thanks for your patience

Thank you William. I hope the fight will be much more interesting and complex… I really feel like the whole fight needs to be redone. Please don’t let it be another “kill mobs, fire cannons” encounter… While those fights were great for the dragons before Zhaitan. We want to fight zhaitan himself. Not his minions. We spent the entire leveling process doing that.

Im always afraid when Anet promises a fix. Cos this will happen:

Anet Forum Manager: Dude complains about the fight being too boring, he said… too easy, he said…
Anet Dev: I’ll give Zhaitan a 99999dmg AOE, lets see them having fun with that!!!

When dealing with Anet, sometimes some things are better left untold…

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

It may improve a bit, but you have to remember that boss size and the… dynamicness… of their fights are an inverse relationship, and the difference in scale here is off the charts. You’re -never- going to fight one of the elder dragons head-to-head. They’re at least a mile long, and nothing man-portable is going to do a kitten thing to them until some asura invents us up a big ol’ bag of Dr. D. E. Machina’s All-Purpose Phlebotinum Bombs.

The best you can do at that point is a break-the-shield-generators boss with artillery firing in the background, or pull some Gurren Lagann shiz and look stupid as hell because your game is not Gurren Lagann. Even the dragon lieutenants are too big to be a fair fight, so instead they get to stand directly in front of your ultra-particle-mutilator and yell and summon things until it’s charged up. To Anet’s credit, the fights LOOK amazing, but they kinda shot themselves in the foot as far as mechanics go.

(edited by Haette.2701)

Posted by: Booler.6598

Booler.6598

You spend 80 levels hearing about Zhaitan , your storyline leads you all the way to the climax of defeating Zhaitan himself. then in an instant he clings to a pillar and you shoot fireworks at him. Anet wtf were you thinking this dragon should be able to fart on the ship and blow it to pieces let alone fighting you. IMO i do think you need to remake this fight, even if arah takes 2 hours make people feel like they have defeated him and overcome something.

Always in all ways

Posted by: Dikeido.8436

Dikeido.8436

Im always afraid when Anet promises a fix. Cos this will happen:

Anet Forum Manager: Dude complains about the fight being too boring, he said… too easy, he said…
Anet Dev: I’ll give Zhaitan a 99999dmg AOE, lets see them having fun with that!!!

When dealing with Anet, sometimes some things are better left untold…

I agreed with you on that, we all should be careful what we wish for.

Posted by: Jiminimokna.1270

Jiminimokna.1270

I have to agree, that the Zhaitan fight (and Arah story mode on the ships) was a big let down for me and my guild mates.

The camera on the ships is a nightmare, you are outside and are viewing indoors or under the ship. You also can’t see the fireworks at the end, because you have to zoom right into your character to look up without seeing the black floorboards of the vessel.

The inability to target the dragons with the cannons until they are already spewing zombies onto the ship.

The double cut-scenes of Zhaitan flying around and attacking the ship need sorting out, its confusing going from one scene then back to the game and then cutting to another scene.

Zhaitan was very disappointing. You don’t get a sense that you are responsible for that cannon blasting holes in the dragon, its all automated and no player interaction is required. The final part blasting him on the tower, also feels like a scripted event. The cannons with 3 fixed positions mean you are never sure if you are actually hitting anything unless you get the cannon opposite Zhaitan.

I think it needs a re-write, or some very serious tweaking to make it feel like the end boss.

Go Rin No Sho – Gandara EU
PvE, PvP, WvWvW
www.gorinnosho.com

Posted by: Stryker.9632

Stryker.9632

So the games final boss wasn’t ready for launch weeks after release? awesome

Posted by: Wiking.2084

Wiking.2084

It may improve a bit, but you have to remember that boss size and the… dynamicness… of their fights are an inverse relationship, and the difference in scale here is off the charts. You’re -never- going to fight one of the elder dragons head-to-head. They’re at least a mile long, and nothing man-portable is going to do a kitten thing to them until some asura invents us up a big ol’ bag of Dr. D. E. Machina’s All-Purpose Phlebotinum Bombs.

The best you can do at that point is a break-the-shield-generators boss with artillery firing in the background, or pull some Gurren Lagann shiz and look stupid as hell because your game is not Gurren Lagann. Even the dragon lieutenants are too big to be a fair fight, so instead they get to stand directly in front of your ultra-particle-mutilator and yell and summon things until it’s charged up. To Anet’s credit, the fights LOOK amazing, but they kinda shot themselves in the foot as far as mechanics go.

I’d say it’s not the problem with using the guns – players can use the guns and have fun with that. Hell, the previous mini-dragons encounters were all about using the guns, and they were pretty intense. It’s about providing some sort of challenge with using the guns. I don’t know – various types of guns – one weakening, one dealing the massive dmg etc. Limited time to use the guns (he could keep destroying them one by one). He could grab the deck from time to time, and everyone would need to fight his claw or, the ship would go down.

There are dozens amazing and epic things you can do with a airship loaded with guns, fighting an aerial battle with unbelievably powerful elder dragon. Clicking 2 for 5 minutes isn’t one of them.

Posted by: Stigma.7869

Stigma.7869

The problem is not whether or not the last boss was difficult or if he did dmg to us with his attacks etc. I’m sure everyone here is not satisfied with the actual design of the last boss fight.

If the Arah dungeon itself was too long then make the Zhaitan fight a separate instance somewhere else that we have to go and put some creative thought into it.

I rather fight up close and personal with skills i’ve attained from the past 80 lvls than fire a stupid cannon on a flying boat.

Furthermore, the sound track is not very desirable either.

Plus to put a cherry on top… the reward was pathetic. I rather it be some kind of GW2 sunglasses or special aesthetic item from the Gem shop

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

(edited by Stigma.7869)

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

I don’t know what’s changed on their team since GW1, but they really need to unchange it. The Lich, Rurik, Shrio, Abaddon, even bonus bosses such as Glint… These were all memorable fights.

But Zhaitan? Flies around uselessly while we fight yet more faceless undead to protect Zojja while she preps the laser gun that really should have been prepped before we even flew in. Gets practically cut in half by a single laser blast. hangs onto the side of a tower just waiting for you to finish him. Falls down after 20 minutes of generic turret fire. The only threat he ever posed was summoning undead, and they continue to exist and spread after he’s gone. Plus we have thousands of necromancers that do the same thing and no one ever bats an eye. Why did we even bother with him? He didn’t even really go offensive until we started building a force to attack him…

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

Others are right. You can make him AE us on a cannon, but it is still boring. You can add a couple of mobs spawn. Still boring.

The airship is the problem. We can’t fight control the airship so it is autopilot mode. We can only use cannons at the very end which end up being a spam fest with no thought. Killing endless waves of mobs just ends up being a boring defense mission. Especially since you never really have a sense Zhaitan is even THERE. He might as well be some random dragon flying around, because he sure doesn’t bother you.

We should have fought him on the ground. There is just so much more you can do down there with the game engine compared to being “in air”. You could of even incorporated the airship into the land based battle.

Posted by: Seraphy.2374

Seraphy.2374

Zhaitan should have been a massive dynamic event spanning all 3 Orr zones over the course of the fight.
This is the only way to make Zhaitan feel truly epic.

But its too late now. Even if Anet redesigns the Zhaitan fight – after the hash they’ve made of it, it’ll just feel cheap.

Here’s hoping they learn from their mistake and make the other Elder Dragons suitably epic.

80 Guardian: WvW role = Front-line Infantry
80 Thief: WvW role = Scorpion wire trolling

Posted by: crismuno.4210

crismuno.4210

Zhaitan should have been a massive dynamic event spanning all 3 Orr zones over the course of the fight.
This is the only way to make Zhaitan feel truly epic.

But its too late now. Even if Anet redesigns the Zhaitan fight – after the hash they’ve made of it, it’ll just feel cheap.

Here’s hoping they learn from their mistake and make the other Elder Dragons suitably epic.

that was a good idea, with final boss fight in the dungeon… BTW i liked the Bismark-like-end