in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Torialdin.7514

Torialdin.7514

Still better ending than Mass Effect 3

*Spoilers* The Zhaitan fight was extremely anti-climatic

Posted by: koyeth.7942

koyeth.7942

Needs more gore, more shooting. When he’s all weak on that tower there should be gatling guns thatn you can use and blow off chunks of his body until he falls off. I mean you pretty much know he’s dying at that point.

Posted by: Vithaar.8637

Vithaar.8637

any ETA on the last boss fight? My second 80 is waiting in the wings as I want to fight Zhaitan proper after the disapointment of my first 80

Thanks!

Posted by: Meldwyn.8592

Meldwyn.8592

Actually, it reminded me of the last Cataclysm raid where you fight the claws of the dragon and not really the dragon… bad and truly sad.

But other than that, it was creative and fun, and challengingly epic in nature (the dungeon as a whole).

Maybe they can say, he didn’t die completely and the time it takes to make another dungeon with just him is how long it took him to recover and be ready to face us again, and here is the “real final fight”. Something head on, with groups of 10+. I am thinking Sindragosa here…

Posted by: The Only EAK.9456

The Only EAK.9456

I felt sorry for him. All he wants is to be loved. No one loves an elder dragon so he ends up thinking that maybe if it looks like he has friends, and is popular, then maybe people will like him. He brings back a city, all the people that died and all the races of Tyria still hate him. In the end they all gang up on him and as he’s crying and hugging a building, you shoot him over and over again. Have you ever thought that all he needed was some simple caring and maybe he’d save you a little bit of gold on your carriage and airship insurance? No. You never thought that at all… Shame on you.

Posted by: LaronX.8079

LaronX.8079

Finally. Sorry to be rude, but that should never ha slip past the quality control.

Blub.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

What the heck… first the gifts were bugged (never got those replaced by the way) and now I learn that ridiculous fight was just bugged and Zhaitan actually wanted to go at it? Several story quests were also bugged for me. This is really sad. I love ANet but to think they let the majority of their hardcore players see the crap endgame area already… Oh well.

Posted by: vicwolf.7862

vicwolf.7862

How about fixing Dwanya in explorable mode first, William?

Posted by: Don Muerte.7168

Don Muerte.7168

I know Zhaitan is the “smallest” of the Elder Dragons, but I’m still trying to figure how something that size can rise a continent roughly 100,000 times larger than it.

Posted by: Lasur Arkinshade.4107

Lasur Arkinshade.4107

One thing that seems to get glossed over is a very common bug in which the Zhaitan fight does not play any music, for some inexplicable reason. I’d also like to make sure that this is brought to ArenaNet’s attention so that they can fix it at the same time as the mechanics.

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

It’d be cool if there was some kind of “bonus” fight against Fallen Zhaitan. We’re never going to get a real fight when we’re dealing with a half-mile dragon but they could still pull something similar to the zone bosses with his fallen remains or something. Imagine a Shadow Behemoth on steroids, dragging its mangled torso slowly around a huge zone and screaming and summoning undead everywhere and still putting up a hell of a fight because it’s a gatdang elder dragon.

EDIT: I just realized how perfectly ironic it would be to fight “Fallen” Zhaitan after seeing his “Risen” minions forever. Literally falling against his will and getting torn apart by lesser beings seems like a fitting end to the one who forces others to rise against their will and fight for him.

(edited by Haette.2701)

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Call it a bug, when it is actually a feature.

Smooth call, Arena Net. I hope Zhaitan is more fun to kill.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Hekken.4153

Hekken.4153

Don’t even know why they’re bothering updating the fight…… What a lackluster fight, Loot, etc. Stop making the players your QA and get your stuff straight. Personally you can update this fight and I could care less about it. Theres no desire to redo that fight over if its just gonna play out the same way it did before plus or minus a few tweaks on how you bring him down. The entire last mission needs to be revised. The whole time i was like really is this how its gonna end? Really? Then a spam fest at the end…. LOL. So i guess you’ll update it so he will fly off and on the pillar after a certain amount of dmg has been done to him…. Great update. Please ANET focus on fixing the end.

Posted by: tyu.9470

tyu.9470

just add another phase to the end where we go down and fight weakened zhaitan in a cool way = problem solved

Posted by: vicwolf.7862

vicwolf.7862

Don’t even know why they’re bothering updating the fight…… What a lackluster fight, Loot, etc. Stop making the players your QA and get your stuff straight. Personally you can update this fight and I could care less about it. Theres no desire to redo that fight over if its just gonna play out the same way it did before plus or minus a few tweaks on how you bring him down. The entire last mission needs to be revised. The whole time i was like really is this how its gonna end? Really? Then a spam fest at the end…. LOL. So i guess you’ll update it so he will fly off and on the pillar after a certain amount of dmg has been done to him…. Great update. Please ANET focus on fixing the end.

I would love to be QA, just not in the game proper where I’m spending hard earned gold on repairs to test this crap out.

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

The guardian I was with and I were very satisfied, as we ended up with a few dcs on an update during that dungeon we were both naked, running around, and had to finish from the big boss after the first airplane, through the ending with two naked people. Took us the 4 hours from the update message, to having around 15 minutes left to kill zhaiten. However we did think he needed to do something.

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.

(edited by R E F L H E X.8413)

Posted by: ChrisLew.5492

ChrisLew.5492

Complete disappointment. I thought the airship would crash and the battle would continue on the ground, but no such luck. A climax where you never really engage the enemy who has been hyped up for dozens of hours isn’t a climax, its just bad design.

I wouldn’t care if they retrofitted it, as its pretty terrible leaving it like it is.

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

So with the recent patch, is it fixed? Or is it still bugged… I see no mention of this in the patch notes.

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Neither do i mal, however they said that it was going to be fixed this patch…. so….i’m hoping it is!!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Posted by: ImariKurumi.5761

ImariKurumi.5761

Complete disappointment. I thought the airship would crash and the battle would continue on the ground, but no such luck. A climax where you never really engage the enemy who has been hyped up for dozens of hours isn’t a climax, its just bad design.

I wouldn’t care if they retrofitted it, as its pretty terrible leaving it like it is.

Anet Forum Manager: Dude wants airship to crash.
Anet Dev: No problem!!! I’ll put in a cutscene where the airship crash and deals 99999 AOE dmg. I hope they will enjoy it!!!

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

I know the perfect ending!!

After getting Logan’s ride beat to scrap but the dragon being wounded, Trahearne makes the ultimate sacrifice, kicks everyone else into a dinky Delorean being driven by a whitehaired Asura named Docc while Trahearne sets a collission course for Zhaitan, impales him and then the ship explodes in an antimatter explosion!

Perhaps today IS a good day to die… PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED!!!

…this won’t end well…

;)

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: Ticon.5346

Ticon.5346

I enjoyed this fight, it was well designed.

what?.. u wanted to jump on his back and rip his spine out =oh wait…. catacysm coming… this isnt WoW.

The fact that he was far away gave a sense of a dragon Being realistic in epic proportions to the characters. no need to jump on him like a pony.

This was a great fight and excellent climax to the personal story=well done combat, and even if it were a bit bugged as Anet claims, no mistakes were made in the design.

(edited by Ticon.5346)

Posted by: Lasur Arkinshade.4107

Lasur Arkinshade.4107

The Zhaitan fight, I would like to clarify, appears to be fixed as of the latest patch. Music now actually plays during it, and it now reliably has mechanics.

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

Lasur, can you tell us, what he does now? thanks.

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

I do not know why people where surprised about how utterly lame the Zhaitan fight was. The way Arenanet treats any large sized boss was hinted at when the player reached level 17 and fought Shadow Behemoth. The dragon lieutenants themselves are the worst bosses in the game as they literally do NOTHING at all and just turn into snooze fests for 5-10min after which you wake up, take your garbage loot, and leave.

So heading into the Zhaitan fight, I knew I should not end up expecting anything of substance. It is sad really when looking at other games released. Look at Dragon’s Dogma (yes it isnt a MMO, but the message still applies), the dragon fight there was an epic battle that engaged the player as much as possible. Guess what that game had? Movable dragons that actively tried to kill the player… Revolutionary, I know…

Posted by: LiveSpartan.8206

LiveSpartan.8206

The music was fixed yay! made all the difference to me

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

i thought zhaitan’s fight was gonna be like the other dragon fights, except with 4-5 players.

but maybe it could be changed to a dragon event, on Orr. most of the island is in need of more areas, anyways.

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

I think they might have changed him a tad (or fixed him).

When I first defeated him awhile back all he did was sit there. I just killed him again today finishing it off for my brother and this time. Well he still sits there but now summons snake head mobs onto the airship and (i think) swipes at the ship. The snakes had no name (When you target them it shows only a hp bar) so it still feels kinda buggy.

Still kinda a let down though, snake adds were easy to kill.

Posted by: knh.9378

knh.9378

every dragon boss fight in this game is just terrible. end of story.

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

The OPs ideas of aboss are underwhelming, but his art is superb.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Posted by: StevieMJH.9105

StevieMJH.9105

This boss fight should have been nothing short of amazing with all the hype that had been building for oh… I don’t know… the entire game? Regardless of whether or not his attacks were/are broken the fight itself is just pathetic.

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

Anet, you might want to consider this… the elder dragons are to be feared, not just because of difficulty, but because of the massive scope of the battle and how intimidating they can be. Difficulty should be there as well, but not because of one hit monsters, more like because it needs tons of skills to evade, survive and fight against the final boss.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

William Fairfield:

Hello Everyone.

There is currently a problem with Zhaitan’s attacks during his final phase.
An upcoming patch will address this issue.

Thanks for your patience

that doesn’t solve the core issues with the battle. there is no feedback from your attacks, no way of knowing if your cannons are hitting, and if we just try and follow the trajectory of the bullet (or whatever that shiny golden thing is), only one of the cannons actually hit.

you can’t aim the cannons properly (they only have 3 aiming positions, no manual aim like trebuchets and turrets) and you can’t target zhaitan to see if you’re actually doing damage. hell, the game doesn’t even consider you in-combat when you’re firing at him.

he also barely moves around on the final phase, and i don’t see how him actually attacking would make the battle any less static. IMO, you should take the battles that precede it (fighting the dragon champions on the smaller airship) as a role model. the dragons would fly everywhere, we’d have to aim the cannons and shoot at them, while worrying about the minions that we failed to reflect with our shields.

for zhaitan, him grasping at the giant tower should be a temporary thing, like when the laser fires at him, he’s weak and has to stop, which gives the players the chance to fire at him for extra damage, and without him moving everywhere. after that, he’d recover and go back to flying around. or even better, those pink lasers should work as tethers that hold him in place (which is what i thought they were doing), and he’d break free once the tether cannons overloaded.

as it is, bugged attacks or not, the oh-so-feared elder dragons seem like something that could easily be taken down, as long as you bring enough lasers. a single shot crippled him to the point he couldn’t even move anymore. if he hadn’t broken the laser down, a second shot would’ve killed him. so how about the pact make two of those lasers, bring them charged to the battle, spot the dragon, fire them, and move on to the next one?

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

BrunoBRS.5178

I know Zhaitan is the “smallest” of the Elder Dragons, but I’m still trying to figure how something that size can rise a continent roughly 100,000 times larger than it.

with his legendary, unmatched dragon magic power!

which he respectfully retains from using in the fight, because you know, that wouldn’t be fair.

so we fire a laser at him and he’s already half dead. the thing that rose an entire continent from the bottom of the ocean is defeated by a single energy beam that can be transported by an airship and charged in 5 minutes.

make more of those lasers, bring them charged to the battle, fire them. if a continent-rising behemoth dies in a single shot, nothing else will be a threat if you bring enough laser cannons.

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

which he respectfully retains from using in the fight, because you know, that wouldn’t be fair.

so we fire a laser at him and he’s already half dead. the thing that rose an entire continent from the bottom of the ocean is defeated by a single energy beam that can be transported by an airship and charged in 5 minutes.

make more of those lasers, bring them charged to the battle, fire them. if a continent-rising behemoth dies in a single shot, nothing else will be a threat if you bring enough laser cannons.

I completely agree with you. It’s such a ludicrous fight.
We NEVER should have had the ability to kill him. It should have been a much more thought out plot that had us put him back to sleep or something. Killing him and doing it in such, SUCH a lame way completely and utterly degrades the whole idea that the elder dragons are destructive forces of nature.

“Oh, really? Cuz I Just shot my here gun at it for a few minutes.”

Such a bad fight. Just awful.

Please Arenanet……do better.

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

I enjoyed this fight, it was well designed.

what?.. u wanted to jump on his back and rip his spine out =oh wait…. catacysm coming… this isnt WoW.

The fact that he was far away gave a sense of a dragon Being realistic in epic proportions to the characters. no need to jump on him like a pony.

This was a great fight and excellent climax to the personal story=well done combat, and even if it were a bit bugged as Anet claims, no mistakes were made in the design.

Noone expected it to be like WoW. At least I didn’t. But what WoW did do was actually have you engage in the fight against Deathwing and he responds to your actions.

Tentacles, Bloods, Horrors, shards…..Deathwing summons them upon you in order to keep the party from beating on literally his last hold for dear life. It makes sense. He’s dying. He doesn’t want you to kill him.

Zhaitan on the other hand……

Here we have a dragon who supposedly raised a massive continent from the depths of the sea upon his awakening. A dragon who commands undead forces and is considered as well as those like him to be a force of terrible nature.

What does he do?

Well he blows up an air ship.
He takes a crippling cannon shot that “floors” him.

Wait……this sounds alot like WoW. Who’s copying who now?

But similarities are besides the point.

The point is Zhaitan was dying and unlike Deathwing he doesn’t do anything to prevent that except sit there and say “Thank you sir, may I have another?”

For a dragon with the kind of lore Zhaitan has…..you don’t see an issue with that?

Posted by: mSum.4831

mSum.4831

Well, I did Arah story mode and it bugged out on the final bit. That, my friend was anti-climatic.

Logan was floating in the air several meters in front of the ship :C

(edited by mSum.4831)

BrunoBRS.5178

I completely agree with you. It’s such a ludicrous fight.
We NEVER should have had the ability to kill him. It should have been a much more thought out plot that had us put him back to sleep or something. Killing him and doing it in such, SUCH a lame way completely and utterly degrades the whole idea that the elder dragons are destructive forces of nature.

“Oh, really? Cuz I Just shot my here gun at it for a few minutes.”

Such a bad fight. Just awful.

Please Arenanet……do better.

i don’t think it necessarily has to be unkillable, i just think it has to look like a bigger effort. at least throughout the personal story it’s always implied that there are always people fighting for the cause, battles being waged, scouts and researchers looking for clues to give us an edge, and so on.

but the fight itself is a single ship VS an elder dragon, and that ship only needed one shot to bring the biggest threat ever known to tyria down.

i stand by my idea that the cannon should be an optional, secondary objective that temporarily stuns him (you can even do your king kong stuff if you want ANet) and that would have to be used multiple times throughout the battle, and that the players would have to shoot zhaitan from the side cannons while he’s still flying around.

and for the sake of adding scale, add a bunch of other ships on the background, and a bunch of dragon champions fighting them. it wouldn’t hurt to put destiny’s edge on a second large ship close to ours (close enough for us to see them but far enough for them to be scenario), that way we’d see them fighting and making a difference (or at least looking like they make a difference), rather than seeing their corpses on the ground 5 seconds into the battle. which reminds me, why do they stay inside the first airship instead of helping us on deck?

this would add to the scale of the battle, to the importance of it, and it would sell the whole “there’s no way we could’ve done this before now” thing.

Posted by: Strill.2591

Strill.2591

Totally agree. Zhaitan was a huge let-down. If you really wanted an epic and satisfying boss fight you need a really good reason as to how such a powerful monster could be killed. For example you could have zhaitan just straight-up turn every generic NPC on your airship into undead, then forced you to fly your airship straight into him and self-destruct it.

At least that would’ve given us a satisfying reason as to how an Elder-God tier monster could be defeated by mere mortals. As it is, if these cannons are so kitten powerful that they can kill a dragon (who’s supposed to be) the size of a mountain, then why was he ever a threat at all? Why don’t we just build nothing but walls and walls of cannons and fire them until everything is dead?

Posted by: Lordphantomhive.1256

Lordphantomhive.1256

Very much agree and really a shame too since pretty much the rest of the dungeon was so great and epic and then it ends with such a sucky boss. Heck were most of the cannon even hitting him? It seem like that and you can only turn way left or right, so adjusting you aim wouldn’t help. Regardless through Zhaitan deserve a much better fight. He a Elder Dragon; he should be more epic and instense to fight, not just having him trying to do a King Kong act and spamming 2 on him with the cannons. and I hope Anet will put more thought into the fights for the other Elder Dragons.

which reminds me, why do they stay inside the first airship instead of helping us on deck?

Oh and this too. Yeah seriously, what are Destiny Edge spacing out or something? They should be helping fighting the enemies on board.

Darkness becomes light, light falls into darkness.

(edited by Lordphantomhive.1256)

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

AGREE.

Iv been playing from the beginning, hit 80 a few times and FINALLY the other day i actually completed the personal story up to the arah dungeon. Ok, so now im pretty excited. Like the dungeons myself and use gw2lfg.com to party up so finding a random PUG was pretty easy (Guildies said they never want to do that again, it hurts – i thought YES the challenge is gonna be immense.

So then the group streamrolls through everything. I die within the dungeon once or twice due to falling off the airship and a miscalculated ress. Im still thinking zhaitan is gonna be the challenge…. So were drawing towards him, honestly really enjoying the airship bit, definitely added some spice to the proceedings but now I am ready, enough of your minions i want to backstab every one of zhaitans heads.

Zhaitan approaches, cutscene is nice……………
MEGA LAZER. WHAT THE kitten. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.
The mobs were kittening trash that died in 2 hits. didnt even outnumber us. I honestly think the npcs could have dealt with them.
The trio of eyes is harder, but still……zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So the mega boring player interaction killer hits him… blah blah blah… but wait! Theres hope, zhaitan cant fly you say?? That must mean he is gonna land and we will be able to do something.
Nope, just kidding…. Get on the turrets and bore yourself senseless some more. Zhaitan falls, job is a boring un.

Now because i feel myself being sick everytime i think of it, lets play ‘what should have been’.

At the point where the mega lazer hits zhaitan, have him fall onto the tower or a mountain. Have the players transported by the heli thing (awsome btw) to a new part of the instance, on the tower. Theres a spiral staircase inside it and players have to traverse up, killing zhaitans heads as they break through the tower onto the inside.
At the top could be his main head, which players will then pound the kitten outta while zhaitan flails about crying ‘THIS IS A PROPER BOSS FIGHT’.
Just kidding, he should have some mechanics for a proper (more normal) boss encounter.

I really hope the story stuff gets alot better in expansions, and existing iterated and re-imagined. This really really really really really annoyed me and im a massive fan of guild wars 2.

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Hello Everyone.

There is currently a problem with Zhaitan’s attacks during his final phase.
An upcoming patch will address this issue.

Thanks for your patience

How does this change the fact that you still defeat the ûber evil end-boss dragon by simply pressing 2 over and over? Even if we have to dodge attacks while we do it, it is how you defeat him and that is what makes it so very anti-climatic and disappointing.

I really hope that when we do get to tackle Jormag, we do it in a far more personal and heroic fashion.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

How does this change the fact that you still defeat the ûber evil end-boss dragon by simply pressing 2 over and over?

In the end everyone is a Thief …