Stacking has become the norm. deal with it

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

considering boons have such short range, I would make the assumption stacking was intended.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Carrying me? PHIW cleric facetank mode?

Well well, aren’t you the condescending one today. Any other observations you wish to make?

Hmm it is tempting, but I think I’m set. You’re saying things like this:

in stacks you are pretty much invincible

Hard to actually have a discussion that way.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

considering boons have such short range, I would make the assumption stacking was intended.

Lol ikr. That’s what runs through my mind most of the time when I read threads with people whining about this stuff.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Lol ikr. That’s what runs through my mind most of the time when I read threads with people whining about this stuff.

Actually it goes well with the idea of being in melee is high risk high reward gameplay, while staying at range is low risk low reward.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

a strategy working well =/= design flaw

The same strategy working in every single situation is

tank holds aggro
healer heals
dps’ers chill and dps

it works every fight clearly a design flaw

Why do you bring the trinity to the post? do you want me to defend the trinity or do you want me to discuss about gw2?

If you really want to relate both mechanics, at least the trinity with all the years it already have, is 3x more complex than what we have here. Consider raiding a trinity as well? have you ever thought there are games that have many years that have at least 5 different roles not just tank, heal and dps?

The current meta forgets everything about rpgs and bring nothing new. LoS/Stack/all dps, its not new… its how MMORPGS used to be BEFORE the trinity. This game cant even compete against a game with a trinity.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Is this argument going to get anywhere or are we really just proving that we can’t resist the chance to get into the same pointless discussion every week?

The content doesn’t even change, it’s the same arguments and same points from both sides every time. Move on already, find something new to argue about

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Mesket.5728

Is this argument going to get anywhere or are we really just proving that we can’t resist the chance to get into the same pointless discussion every week?

The content doesn’t even change, it’s the same arguments and same points from both sides every time. Move on already, find something new to argue about

lol you are so right, its pointless without a face to face discussion with a bunch of beers (?) still fun, sometimes new arguments comes in.

Mesket.5728

but if combo range was actually a variable to consider, what about projectile and leap (considering you are charging in with it, not casting a 600 range leap at 130 range) combos that are not thought to be cast out in a stacked group? I thought the short range could also be not to have the combo area bigger than the original field (since most field have the same small radius unless you are traited for it).

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

This is an interesting point. Why is it only 1 of the 4 finisher types wants players to stay close together?
I think it all boils down to, this game’s combat is designed for PvP and PvP alone, which is the vast majority of balance decisions are made with PvP in mind. They just shoehorned PvP combat into PvE and called it good, thus we are left in a situation were over half the elements of the combat system are woefully underutilized.
Things like Active flanking and movement, simply aren’t needed, and most enemies are about as easy to read as goombas and more that willing to charge blindly to thier deaths.

My advice if you want depth in combat, go into PvP. You won’t find anything here that won’t eventually become mindnumbingly dull.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Mesket.5728

This is an interesting point. Why is it only 1 of the 4 finisher types wants players to stay close together?
I think it all boils down to, this game’s combat is designed for PvP and PvP alone, which is the vast majority of balance decisions are made with PvP in mind. They just shoehorned PvP combat into PvE and called it good, thus we are left in a situation were over half the elements of the combat system are woefully underutilized.
Things like Active flanking and movement, simply aren’t needed, and most enemies are about as easy to read as goombas and more that willing to charge blindly to thier deaths.

My advice if you want depth in combat, go into PvP. You won’t find anything here that won’t eventually become mindnumbingly dull.

But this is one of the points that I (and I’m sure many others) are trying to express in the forums getting bashed over and over again… the lack of depth in PVE combat. Just that, plain and simple. Its not against what min/maxers do, actually what they do is perfect, they just read the game and respond to it. The complains are towards who wrote the game, not the people reading it.

maha.7902

If you really want to relate both mechanics, at least the trinity with all the years it already have, is 3x more complex than what we have here. Consider raiding a trinity as well? have you ever thought there are games that have many years that have at least 5 different roles not just tank, heal and dps?

The current meta forgets everything about rpgs and bring nothing new. LoS/Stack/all dps, its not new… its how MMORPGS used to be BEFORE the trinity. This game cant even compete against a game with a trinity.

A game with fights that use exactly the same trinity fight mechanics is not “3x more complex” at all, in fact it basically tells you everything you need to know before fighting it – that you’ll need some sort of aggro management, you’ll need some sort of squishy damage dealers and you’ll need a guy who keeps them all up when they get low and apply passive buffs to them to make them more efficient at what they’re doing. If you go in to a GW2 fight for the first time, you don’t have that prior knowledge, you have to pick things up as you fight the enemy. It doesn’t help of course that the descriptors are completely useless.

If you don’t think the game can compete, why are you even playing anyway? “I don’t like this game’s gameplay so I’ll just carry on playing it because reasons”.

Whirl finishers in light fields encourage players staying close together for cleanse, and leap finishers are just single target IIRC. I’m pretty sure whirling inside a boss with an ethereal field would cause a lot of confusion stacks too.

I’m sure when I was doing pure axe Lupicus, had jack all for endurance and had to basically sidestep swipes I wasn’t actively flanking or using movement at all. Definitely not.

lol.

afk on points with bunker builds is clearly the epitome of depth. in fact, can we not even throw that word around? People use it to try and sound like their opinions are informed, but it literally means nothing.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

That sig always cracks me up when i see it.

Mesket.5728

A game with fights that use exactly the same trinity fight mechanics is not “3x more complex” at all, in fact it basically tells you everything you need to know before fighting it – that you’ll need some sort of aggro management, you’ll need some sort of squishy damage dealers and you’ll need a guy who keeps them all up when they get low and apply passive buffs to them to make them more efficient at what they’re doing. If you go in to a GW2 fight for the first time, you don’t have that prior knowledge, you have to pick things up as you fight the enemy. It doesn’t help of course that the descriptors are completely useless.

If you don’t think the game can compete, why are you even playing anyway? “I don’t like this game’s gameplay so I’ll just carry on playing it because reasons”.

First I disagree. I still think a trinity even though its repeatable and boring its still more complex than LOS/Stacking which is also repeatable. At least moving around fighting adds and whatever extra mechanic the fight has in the usual trinity fight is less mind numbing.

You have, repetitive method 1 (trinity) and repetitive method 2 (LOS/Stack). One base its self in using 3 diferent roles, positioning, moving, taking up alts, change targets, etc. The other one is just stand still (for the vast majority of the fights) and follow skill rotation (which is also used in trinity, don’t forget that trinity also includes skill rotation, interrupts, reflects, everything you do in GW2).

Point is, GW2 is NOT a revolutionary RPG. It’s not a new genre MMO, its NOT new! its actually an MMO from 15 years ago, way back before the trinity was ever designed. You see this many posts complaining for the very same thing cause people were expecting so much more about this game.

Now, regarding your personal question to me, which I see no point at all in this discussion; but I’ll reply none the less. Depends on what level of playing it you refer to. At this point I just log in, rush 4 dungeons with pugs and log out. I only dedicate 1 – 1.5 hrs a day. If I have more time, I get outside and roam some map to do events or wvw or some world bosses. I’d love to dedicate more to it but I don’t see the point, and trust me; I don’t even play it for the dungeons; I just do that to get some gold in little time while I wait for new content.

Mesket.5728

That sig always cracks me up when i see it.

Its the point.

maha.7902

First I disagree. I still think a trinity even though its repeatable and boring its still more complex than LOS/Stacking which is also repeatable. At least moving around fighting adds and whatever extra mechanic the fight has in the usual trinity fight is less mind numbing.

It’s literally not more complex. You’re throwing the words “complex” and “depth” around but they have no meaning.

So, fights with adds:

Mossman and Archdiviner. These are fun fights, you should try them some time.

You have, repetitive method 1 (trinity) and repetitive method 2 (LOS/Stack). One base its self in using 3 diferent roles, positioning, moving, taking up alts, change targets, etc. The other one is just stand still (for the vast majority of the fights) and follow skill rotation (which is also used in trinity, don’t forget that trinity also includes skill rotation, interrupts, reflects, everything you do in GW2).

There are roles in GW2 as well – you’re just choosing to conveniently ignore them.

Take our latest invitational where groups had a 2 ele, 1 thief, 1 warrior 1 guard composition:

You had elementalists for offensive support (might, fury) and DPS
You had thieves for their unique stealth utility, projectile absorption if need be and damage mitigation through blinds plus damage
You had warrior supporting with banners, battle res and their own damage
You had guardian which was basically pure defensive support offering blocks, reflection, condition cleansing, mob positioning and further damage mitigation through blinds.

Now, regarding your personal question to me, which I see no point at all in this discussion; but I’ll reply none the less. Depends on what level of playing it you refer to. At this point I just log in, rush 4 dungeons with pugs and log out. I only dedicate 1 – 1.5 hrs a day. If I have more time, I get outside and roam some map to do events or wvw or some world bosses. I’d love to dedicate more to it but I don’t see the point, and trust me; I don’t even play it for the dungeons; I just do that to get some gold in little time while I wait for new content.

So if you’re hardly even playing the game, why even post in the forum? You’re just adding a negative aura by making incorrect critique about a game you literally hardly even play.

Posted by: Moderator.6840

Moderator.6840

Hi,

We already have a thread about the stacking strategy here.

Therefore, we’ll now close this one in order to avoid duplicates.

Thank you for your understanding.