State of the Game - Dungeon flavour

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: kipz.8701

kipz.8701

Since I got infracted for my first post about this I assume I’m just not allowed to mention any names this time. (if this is against the “rules” again instead of being given a copy and paste response can I actually get a reply to how I can make this thread viable without it being locked again)

Much like sPvP and GWGuru have their state of the game livestream, Is this something we could possibly work towards doing with the dungeon team?

Not to insult but I feel the amount of discussion about changes and interaction from the team is pretty low apart from the odd post in the stickies.
We all want to be able to help give feedback and also just have a little bit of dedicated time to get some burning questions answered. Waiting a month for the next patch only to find there is no real content makes me not want to continue playing.

Is this something we could maybe set up like a 20 minute stream each month with a few of the team members? I’ve tried PM’s but everyone’s inbox is full.

Thanks
Dinky

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

Thanks for reminding me to clean out my inbox. I was starting to wonder why I wasn’t getting any new messages from people. Inbox clean now!

As for state of the game stuff, we here at Anet don’t host or coordinate those. I asked our community team about the potential to do it, and they expressed openness to it, but we don’t farm that stuff out – the community has to come to us with the offer I guess. We just kind of show up and answer questions I guess, lol.

Posted by: Oolune.4357

Oolune.4357

I always liked the way RIOT does there patch previews. I think it would be nice to see ANet do similar. I prefer ANet, but I think that you could definitely do with that kind of exposition led by your own hands. =)

Tarnished Coast
Oolune :: Engineer — Arrow Of Oolune :: Human Ranger -- Shadow Of Oolune :: Human Thief
Box The Turtle :: Human Warrior — Bolobuns Of Steel :: Human Guardian

kipz.8701

Thanks for reminding me to clean out my inbox. I was starting to wonder why I wasn’t getting any new messages from people. Inbox clean now!

As for state of the game stuff, we here at Anet don’t host or coordinate those. I asked our community team about the potential to do it, and they expressed openness to it, but we don’t farm that stuff out – the community has to come to us with the offer I guess. We just kind of show up and answer questions I guess, lol.

Wow, thanks for the response Rob. Hearing that, hopefully the community as a whole can come together to make this happen.

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

Sent you a message about it, Robert. Hope to hear from you soon.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Renegade.6325

Renegade.6325

Robert Id love to do an interview with you, message me if that is something you would like to get involved with.

Posted by: AusterlitZ.7941

AusterlitZ.7941

made a long post 2 months ago
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Conclusion-after-700-dungeons/first#post1kitten 1
no one from arenanet bothered to even say they read it,it just feels like feedback from the community is pointless,no one cares.

Oolune.4357

It is particularly unreasonable to expect a staff member to post on every feedback thread.

Tarnished Coast
Oolune :: Engineer — Arrow Of Oolune :: Human Ranger -- Shadow Of Oolune :: Human Thief

Posted by: AusterlitZ.7941

AusterlitZ.7941

It is particularly unreasonable to expect a staff member to post on every feedback thread.

It is particularly reasonable to expect staff members to read every feedback thread,hence the idea of a forum where people post feedback.

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

made a long post 2 months ago
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Conclusion-after-700-dungeons/first#post1kitten 1
no one from arenanet bothered to even say they read it,it just feels like feedback from the community is pointless,no one cares.

The Dungeon team is the team that cares, those people give the most feedback and are the most open on these forums. The Ranger dude probably missed your thread or something.

There are plenty of threads on other forums with tons of posts that are ignored, but I’m not sure this the case here. Chill.

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

Posted by: joeytan.3865

joeytan.3865

OH WOW yeah sure they care about the game. They care so much about it, that they have not commented on 3/4 or more of posts about FOTM. I have to go back through a few pages before I can see them commenting about even one post on fractals. Even then devs only do it when they are closing the post or if its to say “I don care how skillful you and your team is but I don want u guys to go over lvl 49 in fotm”, well of course it was phrased is a more polite way. LOL how can they care much about the dungeons when they cant even give proper replies on their latest dungeon.

(edited by joeytan.3865)

Oolune.4357

It is particularly reasonable to expect staff members to read every feedback thread,hence the idea of a forum where people post feedback.

It is. Just because they didn’t respond to you doesn’t mean they didn’t read it. Leave entitlement at door please.

Tarnished Coast

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

interview and all that sort of stuff has to go through our community team. There’s no way I can personally commit to any of that stuff since it’s a public relations thing.

I try to browse as many threads as I can, and certainly bigger ones more quickly grab my attention, but I’m not a forum mod or something like that – I’m a developer dev – I spend my day building stuff, so I can’t post in every thread or even as many as I’m sure you all would like me to. I do what I can, and I’m sorry it isn’t more.

As for FoTM, there isn’t much I can say about it. Yes we have plans to keep doing stuff for it like new fractals, and more agony resistance will be released in time… aside from that there’s really not much to say. FoTM is in a good place, and ever since we resolved the reconnect issues with it, there hasn’t been many complaints aside from that players can’t get to high scales as easily anymore, which is something we intended in the first place but that players found exploits around.

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

interview and all that sort of stuff has to go through our community team. There’s no way I can personally commit to any of that stuff since it’s a public relations thing.

I try to browse as many threads as I can, and certainly bigger ones more quickly grab my attention, but I’m not a forum mod or something like that – I’m a developer dev – I spend my day building stuff, so I can’t post in every thread or even as many as I’m sure you all would like me to. I do what I can, and I’m sorry it isn’t more.

As for FoTM, there isn’t much I can say about it. Yes we have plans to keep doing stuff for it like new fractals, and more agony resistance will be released in time… aside from that there’s really not much to say. FoTM is in a good place, and ever since we resolved the reconnect issues with it, there hasn’t been many complaints aside from that players can’t get to high scales as easily anymore, which is something we intended in the first place but that players found exploits around.

The only thing negative about fractals right now is the rewards from the Jade Maw chest. Ever since the January patch, it seems loot is terrible at high levels and the chest got worst.

Various groups in my guild do 30/40 runs every night, and the last chest seems to be much more erratic and overall less profitable. There have been countless times where I received no rares or cores/lodestones at 40+, which I personally think shouldn’t happen at that high of a level. Every single run someone, if not more then one person, get only blues and greens at 40+. Since simple world events where you can auto attack afk on dragons, etc. and get a guaranteed rare are in now, I think the chests should be looked at to at least guarantee one thing.

Maybe something like
0-9 – Nothing Guaranteed
10-19 – 1 Rare Guaranteed
20-29 – 1 Rare and 1 Core Guaranteed
30-39 – 1 Rare and 1 Lodestone
40+ – 1 Rare, 1 Lodestone, 1 Core

This would go along way to making higher level fractals worth the time investment and helping balance out some of the high lodestone prices.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

Thanks for the feedback, Strifey, but let’s try to keep this thread on topic. We’re well aware of people’s feelings towards the Maw chest and RNG with it, and we are monitoring it closely.

Posted by: khalija.6958

khalija.6958

Just wanted to pop in and say that we’re already working on a PvE version of SotG. :) We’ve gotten everything ready and have contacted ANet about it. Now we’re just waiting on them to coordinate a few things. So (hopefully) expect it soon!

Khalija * Mesmer * [TWIT]
GW2Guru Admin

Posted by: Shadowmoon.7986

Shadowmoon.7986

Robert, any way we can get a non RNG method of getting fractal weapons, even if it would take a month of fractal running to get them, at least everyday your getting closer to your goal, not just clicking the chest and getting disappointed.

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

please keep this thread focused on the topic, not about fractals.

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

Thanks for the feedback, Strifey, but let’s try to keep this thread on topic. We’re well aware of people’s feelings towards the Maw chest and RNG with it, and we are monitoring it closely.

Fair enough, thanks for the response.

It would be cool to get some sort of preview on upcoming dungeons that are being revamped in some sort of mini-preview that could possibly open up community feedback or even suggestions before it drops in the big patch.

For instance, I’m not sure if the plan is to just go in order and revamp all of the dungeons like AC, or if certain dungeons/paths are being focused on more? No clue what to expect in the March patch or future patches other then that dungeons and bosses are being looked at in general.

For instance I personally think some dungeon paths need more love then others from a balance/dynamics standpoint. Something like HotW which I personally think is in the worst condition, would be on I think most people’s priority list compared to something like TA, SE (except maybe path 2), and even CM if you were to go in dungeon order.

Is there a plan to just go through all dungeons in order, or focus more on what the devs and community think are unbalanced paths (as in challenge/fun/overall length) compared to most of the rest of the dungeons? Insight like that would be something interesting that could come out of interview segments.

I’m also personally interested on the dev team’s thoughts on some of the less challenging more drawn out events as well. This would include events that offer very little challenge such as Grenth in Arah P4 and unfortunately the mist collector/burrow event in AC p3 which is a dungeon that has already been revamped. For instance, defend Magg event is 3 min long, while the burrow event is 5 min long and is much more simple. I personally think shorter, more dynamic/challenging defend events are much more engaging. Doing something for 5 min. using one mechanic is ultimately boring and drawn out then doing something for 2-3 min. but at a faster more dynamic pace.

As a personal brain storm, it would be cool for instance if the burrow event in AC p3 was say 3 min instead of 5 min, and the number of burrows started ramping up. So it starts out kind of slow, maybe 1 burrow every 10 seconds for the first minute. Then at the 1 minute mark, maybe 1 burrow every 7 seconds, 1:35 after 5 burrows it would go down to 6 seconds, 2:05 it would go to one every 5 seconds. Then the last maybe 30 seconds, a bunch of burrows would pop up and you would need try and defend a wave of gravelings from the mist collectors using various skills/techniques to keep the gravelings away rather then killing everything. So maybe you could use Necro AoE fears and cripples/chilling, you could use elemental knockbacks, guardian line/ring of warding and sanctuary, mesmer positional manipulation skills, or even one option could still to go straight dps for the last 30 seconds focusing on defending one essence collector and cleaving everything.

That would be something I’d think would be alot more fun then running around to the same order of burrows for 5 min. with hardly any challenge. And possibly with previews of something like the AC changes before it happened, the community could give suggestions or feedback on what you did change or even things on what you didn’t change that people have suggestions for.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

(edited by Strifey.7215)

Posted by: joeytan.3865

joeytan.3865

Thanks a million, finally at least we know that someone is looking into it. This is what we were hoping for. Kindly let us know about your findings.

Posted by: HikariNoTen.1402

HikariNoTen.1402

To add to Strifey’s brainstorm I would also like to talk about Condition Damage. Condition damage is so overlooked due to most Direct damage being much higher in DPS. It is not a problem limited to dungeons, in openworld and against bosses with high chunks of HP. But in most (all?) dungeons it is a real problem. I would like to see some mobs with high armor and damage but low HP (making it hard to kill for Direct Damage chars, but easier for Condition built chars with some crowd control guys). Mixing these guys in with other mobs could change quite a bit the dungeon meta.
In the actual state of dungeons nearly all encounters feel aimed for high direct damage.

I will also agree with the other guys here, that your community service has to do a bit more communication on the upcoming changes. Mixing up an interview with a dev about the changes for dungeons with a video of a new dungeon encounter or anything down the line could be great. No need for it to last 30 minutes, 4-7 minutes is great. I dont’t think that an hour long interview about the complete SOTG (as it is done for SPVP) for dungeons would be worth it. Until your work on revamping all the dungeons is done I think it could be great.

I think people who often go on the forum are aware of the work you are performing, but it does not represent the totality of the community. Advertise your work to the world, you should be proud of it (imho)!
Thanks for the hard work !

Posted by: Siv.4351

Siv.4351

Some 2-way communication with devs re: dungeons would be fantastic. These things have the chance to be really awesome, but are severely let down by the fact nearly all of them are so dull and bland. Content that is simply not good enough.
I should clarify here that they all visually stunning (CoE is amazing, seriously, more of this please), the actual encounters and mechanics (or lack thereof) are the issue here.

Difficulty should be in the management and execution of mechanics, not simply bosses/trash stripping 80% of your health with basic attacks. Nor should bosses be a matter of pulling/pushing them against a wall and grinding your skills into it until they bug out and fall over dead.
AC revamp was a huge step in the right direction, minus the over-use of CC against players. Addressing the issue of seeing attack animations inside balls of particle effects will go a long way as well.

kipz.8701

So,

Has there been any advances in getting this thing going?