Staying Alive

Staying Alive

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: DIpABzOLIC.7520

DIpABzOLIC.7520

Just to get this out of the way, I play as a Warrior, and have all ascended or exotic gear (almost fully ascended). My problem is, I seem to go down a lot compared to other people. I used the metabattle site for the Dungeon Warrior build and I have watched Nike stream and his youtube videos. I dont understand how he basically is always running full health. He barely every takes any damage. What am I doing wrong or what am I missing when it comes to avoid being damaged so severely all the time?

Sorry if there is info on this already somewhere but I could not find anything. Thanks for any help.

Staying Alive

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Staying Alive

Posted by: Minigrump.4961

Minigrump.4961

this awesome tutorial might help

being serious, its more about knowledge of the bosses and dungeons than it is gear. if you know the tells and animations of the mobs and bosses in the dungeons, it makes it a lot easier to dodge, block, etc and make it easier to survive.

Staying Alive

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

You’ll have to learn what attacks you can safely facetank and what you have to dodge. Greatsword 3 on warrior is a great skill, because it allows you to deal damage and avoid attacks at the same time, make good use of it. Having a competent guardian/thief/elementalist in the group helps as well; it’s a team game after all. You can also use dungeon specific potions for up to 10% less damage taken.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Staying Alive

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I didn’t see it coming, but so glad it did!

To the OP, learn enemy animations and tells, use your active defenses (for War generally Whirlwind and dodges mainly, if you know a situation is especially hairy Offhand Sword for the block, and maybe even work in Endure Pain though for dungeons/fractals I can’t think of a situation it’s needed but may help you as you learn).

It just takes practice to learn how to approach any encounter, and then the execution is about reacting to the animations you see.

Staying Alive

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

In organized groups they almost never get downed because they bring all the necessary support, they have a guardian throwing blocks and reflects and stuff and everyone is in melee range with the boss or trash mobs. If you are running with pugs where everyone is ranging and you are the only one meleeing, and the group doesnt have a guardian or the guardian is too lazy to give aegis and blinds then expect to get downed a lot.

If you could give some examples of dungeons where you get downed frequently maybe the folks here can help.

Staying Alive

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

Dodge, Sword 5, GS 3, Endure Pain.
And if you have some competent guard in the party you may even get some aegis.

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Staying Alive

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Endure Pain.

Ewwww.

And if you have some competent guard in the party you may even get some aegis.

This. And few dodges ofc.

Staying Alive

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Its easier with a good team surrounding you too. Especially a guardian running the correct build and using virts and utils at the right time. A rareity in pugs. good for learning in a way though.

Try not to compromise with things like endure pain. It just makes it harder for u to adapt in the long run IMO.

Staying Alive

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

You can carry Long Bow, Skill 4 also blinds. Sometimes if you need to get some distance because your HP is hurting, I usually turn to Bow. Skill 5, burst fire field on boss, skill 3 for area might, skill 4 to blind, swap back to GS and Rush back in. By then your HP should be a little more manageable.

Staying Alive

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

Just to get this out of the way, I play as a Warrior, and have all ascended or exotic gear (almost fully ascended). My problem is, I seem to go down a lot compared to other people. I used the metabattle site for the Dungeon Warrior build and I have watched Nike stream and his youtube videos. I dont understand how he basically is always running full health. He barely every takes any damage. What am I doing wrong or what am I missing when it comes to avoid being damaged so severely all the time?

Sorry if there is info on this already somewhere but I could not find anything. Thanks for any help.

lol, those guys from DnT can do dungeons with their eyes closed and also they always go with a PERFECT team for the dungeons, it’s not good to use them as a comparision.

Like, the videos are very informative and help a lot, but don’t expect to be good like they are.

Staying Alive

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’m so glad I clicked that! Hahaha!

But yeah, if you are playing zerker, then obviously you will have a lot of trouble Stayin’ Alive. Start with something a bit easier, like knights (decent armor and damage), and gradually improve your skills till you are ready for the zerker approach.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)