Story Modes Need to Give Tokens

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Randin.5701

Randin.5701

Doesn’t need to be a large amount, but it’s becoming abundantly clear that there needs to be some sort of incentive to get people to actually do these things.

I like doing the story modes, I actually want to experience the story; the problem is that I’m seemingly part of a small group for whom that’s the case. After the first three dungeons or so, there are nearly no people who want to do the story modes, when they can be doing the explorable mode. A week+ can go by in between an actual story group forming for a given dungeon.

Maybe if people could get dungeon tokens, even a small amount, you might get more people willing to spend their time doing them.

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

While I think tokens for completing story mode would break more than make, I do realize the need to some incentive to do it. If there was a token reward you could receive once a week, maybe 100 tokens or so, I believe a lot more runs for story mode would be formed, while still not lessening the interest for explorable dungeons.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Posted by: kuroi.5467

kuroi.5467

it’s really not hard, 40 tokens per path first run, 20 for subsequent runs, eliminate this disparity between story and explore. you have almost exactly the same time/token economy. i think it’s moronic we let 25% of our dungeon content sit in stagnation when we could be rotating between four paths each instead of three. tokens will dramatically increase the number of players running story, so it’ll be much more possible to find a competent party instead of choking through some of the more interesting dungeon content (HotW story > explo) with people who are almost always doing it for the first time. all story mode does is make sure a good portion of people have miserable first dungeon experiences because the whole team is ignorant.

but all of this is less important than simply getting friggin tokens, because that’s going to be why most people run dungeons. why on earth would we not offer tokens?

Posted by: hedition.7261

hedition.7261

I would say a one time reward of maybe 100 tokens, just like the helmet, would be a good idea to encourage story mode.

But different people enjoy the game in different ways, so I wouldn’t condemn one or another. If I do story, I would want to do it with people who really enjoy the story, not another “speedrun”.

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

Alternate suggestion – explorable mode remains locked until all party members have done story as at present many people will just skip story after ensuring that 1 person on the team has done that..

OR

Make it so that the story mode is no longer 1 and done, and needs to be refreshed periodically for continued access to the explorable content, maybe once a week or once a month or some such, though that still does not get past the issue of people ensuring 1 party member can do explorable and just skip story..

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

Alternate suggestion – explorable mode remains locked until all party members have done story as at present many people will just skip story after ensuring that 1 person on the team has done that..

OR

Make it so that the story mode is no longer 1 and done, and needs to be refreshed periodically for continued access to the explorable content, maybe once a week or once a month or some such, though that still does not get past the issue of people ensuring 1 party member can do explorable and just skip story..

Forcing people to do content they don’t want to do is the worst thing you could possibly do, and I don’t think I need to explain why.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Story mode could give 20 tokens the first time you do it, but afterwards it would break the game.

@Togashi Jack
Forcing content down a players throat is never a good idea. If people are not interested in story mode than they shouldn’t be forced to do it.

Maybe they should include a story mode skin set.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

I find that the problem is story mode is supposedly ‘easier’ than explorable mode. Anyone who’s done AC story mode knows how incredibly long and tedious that is compared to any AC explorable mode path. Maybe it’s easier compared to path 1 or 3 in that the final boss is basically a boulder-tossing exercise compared to watching some oversized gecko doing a belly dance before dropping rocks or breathing on you, but man is it ridiculous to fight all those mini-bosses along the way. All for what? A hat and some money, and being able to piggy-back 4 PuGers into the Explorable dungeon. Yay.

I’ve yet to find anyone who will say that TA story mode is easier than any TA explorable mode path. Even fighting Vevina in the F/F or F/U path is easy compared to Faolain. It just doesn’t make sense that the TA explorable paths all lead to a stationary tree while the TA story mode leads to 4 illusions and some boss you have to kill 5 times over.

Fair enough, it’s ‘easier’ to do story mode and you can unlock the explorable mode, so let’s not give you tokens. But how is it ‘easier’?

Posted by: Wizzey.7845

Wizzey.7845

They could just allow you to enter explorable mode without doing story mode since you’re supposed to do story mode for…the story rather than the ability to do explorable mode.
I also do find it a shame that there is no real reward for replaying story since having completed all of the story modes and most of the explorables, I have found that story modes in general are much more polished than explorables.
In addition, although the content is easier to get through, it is by no means less time consuming than explorables so I see no problem in rewarding tokens after story mode as well.