Story mode for raiding

Story mode for raiding

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Make Rye Known.6273

Make Rye Known.6273

Hey, I was thinking if it would be possible to get a story mode for the raiding content, similar to Arah.
The reason I would like this is that though it is not as big a story gab from living season 1 to season 2 if you didn’t play in 1, it still feels like I am missing parts of the story and it’s just a bit annoying tbh.
It shouldn’t drop loot or anything but just a mode you can go into for the story an take your time.
I am not a raider but I know if I was raiding I wouldn’t be focused on the story, so it could probably also be nice for some of the raiders.

and also what do you guys think about this idea?:3
(sorry if it has been asked before, I haven’t been on the forums for a looooong time).
Rye

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Plazar.8946

Plazar.8946

Very good idea. But yeah no drops or dungeon like drops so mesrework rare and exotic. And since I see alot of threads lately about how players who dont raid cant get spirit shards anympre due to not having all the masterys mybe if you finish the story mode it unlocks the Forsaken Thicket mastery, same as killing one boss in current raids.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Lendruil.9061

Lendruil.9061

There already is the unbound guardian in bloodstone fenn and the sloth queen in ember bay, that’s enough of a story mode.

Skuldin - No Hesitation [hT]

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Zanjii.8214

Zanjii.8214

There already is the unbound guardian in bloodstone fenn and the sloth queen in ember bay, that’s enough of a story mode.

exactly , and pls stop all the raid story mode or raid easy mode threads now its annoying

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Hardly any “story” part in it, don’t you think?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Wintermute.5408

Wintermute.5408

exactly , and pls stop all the raid story mode or raid easy mode threads now its annoying

Yea, right! How dare those filthy casuals demand to see the fluff behind MY raids? Onle l33t people like me are allowed to do so, becouse I need to have sense of achievement at everyone’s expense in muh videagams.

Welcome to Rivendell, mister Anderson

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Plazar.8946

Plazar.8946

Yea, right! How dare those filthy casuals demand to see the fluff behind MY raids? Onle l33t people like me are allowed to do so, becouse I need to have sense of achievement at everyone’s expense in muh videagams.

You sir should get a medal ^^

Story mode for raiding

Lendruil.9061

Hardly any “story” part in it, don’t you think?

Well in the raids there also isn’t more story.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Zanjii.8214

Zanjii.8214

every week a new pls make raids easier thread starts , its boring , just saying ^^

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: OnizukaBR.8537

OnizukaBR.8537

So if no drops just want to see the story? Just join a cleared instance the story is all on notes on the map, there 0 story in the fight, so why you still didnt join a cleared instance if thats all you want?

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

So if no drops just want to see the story? Just join a cleared instance the story is all on notes on the map, there 0 story in the fight, so why you still didnt join a cleared instance if thats all you want?

Notes about what happened in the past are a terrible form of storytelling. The story was meant to be experienced in real time. An empty instance doesn’t accomplish that.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Every player should be able to open an empty instance. This instance should provide all dialogues and videos. That would a nice first step.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

It’s just not a good idea to make the raid story gated behind the permissions and time of other players.

Story mode for raiding

Lendruil.9061

Except from the notes that are lying around in the raid, there is no other form of story. The raid itself is just: “Here is the boss, kill it”.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I would neither use nor care for a story-mode raid. By all accounts the raid lore is both peripheral and minuscule. It’s not like we had to raid to kill Mordremoth the way WotLK players had to to deal with that story boss. I’d much rather ANet focused non-raid PvE development on other areas.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Except from the notes that are lying around in the raid, there is no other form of story. The raid itself is just: “Here is the boss, kill it”.

Well, there was that cut scene reintroducing the White Mantle, but that got added to Bloodstone Fen anyway… (And is on the GW2 youtube page)

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

Is there any MMO out right now with a solo friendly raid mode? I mean think about it. It’s supposed to be completed with a group of people not one or two players. Otherwise it’s not even a raid.

Besides that, there isn’t that much story in the raids. Most of it is just reading notes. You can pretty much get a full recap of the raids from squad leader Bennett in the bloodstone fen map. He not only voice acts the story of the raids, but he also shows a cinematic about them.

(edited by Dragon.8762)

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Is there any MMO out right now with a solo friendly raid mode? I mean think about it. It’s supposed to be completed with a group of people not one or two players. Otherwise it’s not even a raid.

Besides that, there isn’t that much story in the raids. Most of it is just reading notes. You can pretty much get a full recap of the raids from squad leader Bennett in the bloodstone fen map. He not only voice acts the story of the raids, but he also shows a cinematic about them.

Well, you can solo around 85% of WoW’s raids with ease. I wouldn’t be surprised if specific builds with good play have the potential to push it to around 95%. Wait until the next expansion and the power creep naturally makes the old ones soloable.

There are a few mechanics that can’t be completed by everyone (e.g. The green dragon in ICC that you need to heal to full, so… non-healers would be out of luck). In these rare cases, Blizzard goes out of their way to alter the encounter so that they are possible to complete solo.

There’s also LFR for people that don’t want to schedule their life around a consistent group, or spend hours on LFG. It’s not solo per say, but you don’t have to deal with the typical raid player, and you’re probably okay to just turn off chat and try to figure it out yourself instead of getting spoilers.

(edited by Eponet.4829)

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

GW1 has 12 person elite areas, which you can solo with your team of NPCs.

WoW’s LFR is probably the most solo friendly actual raiding experience, which opened up raiding to the majority. As a solo player, you simply queue up and play. If you wipe, it gets easier.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Absurdo.8309

Absurdo.8309

Hey, I was thinking if it would be possible to get a story mode for the raiding content, similar to Arah.
The reason I would like this is that though it is not as big a story gab from living season 1 to season 2 if you didn’t play in 1, it still feels like I am missing parts of the story and it’s just a bit annoying tbh.
It shouldn’t drop loot or anything but just a mode you can go into for the story an take your time.
I am not a raider but I know if I was raiding I wouldn’t be focused on the story, so it could probably also be nice for some of the raiders.

and also what do you guys think about this idea?:3
(sorry if it has been asked before, I haven’t been on the forums for a looooong time).
Rye

But, arah doesn’t have a story mode. At least the kind you imagine for raids.

Here’s what arah has:
- 1 single player instance that is the capstone of the personal story
- 4 group instances of varying difficulty, that are generally harder than the average gw2 content. Each instance has lore elements that are relevant to the story, but unnecessary to understand it.

Here’s what raids have:
- 9 group instances of varying difficulty, that are generally harder than the average gw2 content. Each instance has lore elements that are relevant to the story, but unnecessary to complete it.

… that’s actually very like arah. Arah doesn’t have a story mode like you’re suggesting.

Most forum users find these posts extremely tedious, because they’re rarely constructive.

Most are of the form:
“I want X,” or
“I want X because I like Y”

They rarely explain why they want X or why they can’t get Y. But I’ll try to be helpful.

1. If it’s too hard for you: Join a large guild or a training run. Most large guilds train raiders. I find most training runs are on Sunday, but I see them throughout the week too

2. If you don’t like the raid format: Competed instances have all story elements. And there’s an NPC at the beginning of wing 3 that summarizes everything. There’s not much story in the actual boss fights, but you can still experience those without beating them.

I hope these work for you.

And yes, we’ve rehashed this topic a couple of times. To the other posters: I’ve rarely found a wishlist, without identifying the problem, helpful.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I am very glad to see this thread. My guess is the thread was recently moved from a different subforum, which is unfortunate. It really does make for a more lopsided opinion.

To the topic, yes, a way for more people to experience the raid content/story is definitely needed.

There are many ways this could manifest in this game -

- Actual tiered difficulties
- scalable group sizing
- Training/story motes similar to how challenge motes work now
- Opening the instances up/scaling them down in difficulty then adding them to the guild mission roster.

Some of these we see work well in other games. Some would just fit well with the current game model. And I am sure there are solutions the creative developers at Anet could come up with.

Obviously, this isn’t the first thread on the topic. This is something a decent number of players (and yes, I am guessing based on anecdotal evidence when I say that) would like to see. I have to believe this is something Anet will eventually come to realize.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

zero need for a story mode.

do LS3 and you can get a recap. Walk into wing 3 and talk to glenna and you can get a recap. YOUTUBE still exist…..

At this point if you still truly care about the story, you’d have used any of these options.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

do LS3 and you can get a recap. Walk into wing 3 and talk to glenna and you can get a recap. YOUTUBE still exist…..

At this point if you still truly care about the story, you’d have used any of these options.

It’s even better, because at this point you don’t even need to play ls3 either. After all, if Youtube covers all your needs…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

It’s even better, because at this point you don’t even need to play ls3 either. After all, if Youtube covers all your needs…

It’s basically what you guys are asking for because it’s clearly not the gameplay your after. May as well just sit back and watch cinematics all day long.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: OnizukaBR.8537

OnizukaBR.8537

It’s basically what you guys are asking for because it’s clearly not the gameplay your after. May as well just sit back and watch cinematics all day long.

Exactly. And then they say they dont like things like the new slothosar on EB, but if it got mechanics that could kill you , you would get a raid boss, then people would complain too. Its just an annoying crowd that is impossible to catter.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Story mode is waste of development time, zero replay value

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Which is (hopefully) a lesson that story mode dungeons taught ANet.

Story mode for raiding

Absurdo.8309

Which is (hopefully) a lesson that story mode dungeons taught ANet.

Honestly, I think people would play story mode dungeons if the rewards were the same as explorable. The difficulty and time-to-complete is similar.

But (more directed at OP) story mode dungeons would be nothing like a story mode raid. What he’s asking for is an easy mode, not a separate encounter.

Plus, two of the raids are much easier than the others, providing a stepping stone into the others.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

It really isn’t.

It is possible to simply tone the mechanics down rather than completely remove or invalidate them when developing tiered difficulties. It doesn’t have to be one extreme or the other.

Oversimplification like this doesn’t really address the issue.

Story mode for raiding

Absurdo.8309

It really isn’t.

It is possible to simply tone the mechanics down rather than completely remove or invalidate them when developing tiered difficulties. It doesn’t have to be one extreme or the other.

The OP is asking for a mode with no rewards so he can focus solely on the story. I don’t think this is an oversimplification.

What problem are you trying to solve? Why do the people you know not raid? And do they want to?

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: ButterPeanut.9746

ButterPeanut.9746

It really isn’t.

The OP is asking for a mode with no rewards so he can focus solely on the story. I don’t think this is an oversimplification.

What problem are you trying to solve? Why do the people you know not raid? And do they want to?

I think we’ve had enough back and forth on other threads.

Story mode for raiding

Posted by: Chaos.5072

Chaos.5072

There are already several ways in game to expereicne the raid story without having to raid. There is no reason to waste resources on this.

Not to mention the story is hardly relevant to anything