Suggestions to improve chaos last boss

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

Hey there,

after going through the Chaos fractal (difficulty 88 and 99) with my casual guildies, members with whom I raid weekly and random PUGs, I pinned down some issues that should be adressed in order to make the last boss of the fractal much more enjoyable. Don’t get me wrong , I find the fractal overall interesting, however some issues with the last boss are ruining the fun.

Issue 1 : Melee hate.

• The gladiator’s AA inflicts both a lot of damage and applies a very long duration daze in a large arc.
  • At higher scales, to be able to stand up him and inflict melee damage you need both a powerful healer and someone who can dish out stability or vigor (to dodge his third hit)
  • Too bad, at scales 88 and 99 your boons are stolen. :-(

Issue 2 : Unbreakable breakbar

• I understand Anet wanted to incentivise us to break the gladiator’s breakbar by staying in melee range. The AoE is so large that wanting to escape it from melee range is almost impossible.
  • However, because of Issue 1, we are forced to range the boss.
  • With the time allowed to break the boss, there is no way we can get back to melee range and unleash our CCs.
  • Thus double dodging to escape the AoE is a much more preferable tactic

As of now (it has been said in other topics) the only smooth strategy that can achieve a consistant kill of the boss regardless the scale is to max range him using necros and condi mesmers. It doesn’t promote skillful play nor build diversity

Suggestions :

1. Balance the numbers so that the gladiator’s regular attack deals damage similar to the archdiviner. Concentrate the damage and daze on the third hit to reward players who can count up to 3 and dodge.
  2. Add a new attack to the gladiator similar to arcing slice. A 360° swing that deals extreme damage at higher scales. This attack should be telegraphed by an orange AoE.
  3. Add a grap or a teleport to allow the gladiator to threaten ranged players. This attack should include a snare component and could be followed up by the arcing slice.

I hope this catches the eye of a dev and doesn’t get buried too quickly.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Posted by: domness.6719

domness.6719

who can dish out stability or vigor (to dodge his third hit)

You can stand at max melee and walk out of range to cancel the 3rd hit.

Unbreakable breakbar*

The breakbar is tiny, you can break it pretty easily/fast. Just get ready at 50% and then you probably only have to break 1-2 more times max after that.

However, because of Issue 1, we are forced to range the boss.

You don’t have to range the boss, just whoever is focussed has to walk out of range of the 3rd attack.

As of now (it has been said in other topics) the only smooth strategy that can achieve a consistant kill of the boss regardless the scale is to max range him using necros and condi mesmers. It doesn’t promote skillful play nor build diversity

I find condi quite lacking in this fight due to the boss clearing all the condis if he gets up his shield for a split second. This means condis lose their advantage, and direct DPS becomes better.

[OP] Optimise

VodCom.6924

snip

What you are describing is a smart way to avoid the daze, however it doesn’t tell me how to compensate the damage dealt by 1st and 2nd hit. The daze is very annoying but it’s only half of the problem. And the 270° arc paired with the purple tiles are not helping.

If you can find me a video of a kill using such a tactic, I’d be thankful.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I found the work around to the breakbar to be flesh golem.

Necro’s of the Mists too gud.

Posted by: SirPrizeBartSachs.4670

SirPrizeBartSachs.4670

Agreed. Your suggestions to balance his AA sound good. Reduce damage for the first two hits and put the damage in his third chain.

Regarding your second issue I think there should be a noticeable casting animation delay before he unleashes his Spin to Win such that melee CCers have a heads up on when to start heading toward him if they’re going for a break.

But honestly right now the odds of a coordinated break (in that small time frame) for uncoordinated pugs is so low that the prevalent strategy will be to get the hell away from his AOE the moment he casts it. I for one have never seen the Archdiviner broken before his conic slam attack in T4 Cliffside (maybe once or twice) and it’s just the same for this boss.

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

I’m not sure if that happens with minions too, but I’m pretty sure my condi necro transfers all the confusion we get from the panels directly to him. I suspect the minion condis were also being transfered because he had 70 stacks of confusion for about 10 mins last daily (EDIT: actually I just realized how long 10 mins are, and it felt really fast so I guess it was just a couple haha), and that put him down, really, really fast. So I guess he should be immune to the panels other than the shield breaking? Otherwise I see no reason to do anything else other than 5 condi transfer necros and sit on the panels. I also believe that, it would be a good opportunity to force players into a hybrid playstile, by giving him an attack which only hits outside of melee range on top of his pull attack. That would be even more of a mechanic than the green panels from VG, since a single player could have a single playstyle there (range or melee).

Posted by: Zhaid Zhem.6508

Zhaid Zhem.6508

Just a smaller lifebar : it would improve the dynamism, stop the complaining wipe/ragequit “Aaaaarrh … 20 minutes boss for QQ” and avoir all the questioning to make a perfect pug “gearcheck dpscheck 169 mastery blablablah” that we already have in raids- and yeah, may be reduce damage for some skills.
And the new anet trend : theses invulnerability aera or shield or whatever … one mistake and it kittens the fight… QQ

I agree it doesn’t promote build diversity for now, you need really strong DPS, a heal, a large support/sustain for melee, condi seems poorly effective … Chrono, war/rev, druid … (still better than “4 necro and free join”) or it takes 1 hour, but I really enjoyed this fractal, increasing challenge, diversified …

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

@Breakbar: I know this is cliche, but this seems more like l2p issue. Or maybe inability to adapt (i.e. take more CC). I have never failed to break his bar and I usually do it solo (as a warrior), while the rest of the group focuses on their stuff. I actually wanted to thank Anet for making his breakbar so small and easy to break, so that you can carry your group if they have poor reaction times (or don’t swap skills as needed).
Yeah, most of the time slotting a CC skill is a DPS loss, but frankly that’s only an issue in top tier groups, who minmax every tiny bit of damage output. For an average player, losing 3 seconds on a boss is totally worth it if it saves you from multiple wipes.

@Melee hate: I kinda agree here, his AA does a little bit too much. I’ve always prefered the idea of bosses doing very little damage with AA but having some hard hitting skills on high cooldown, which you have to dodge. That kind of design promotes skilled play much more than just having crazy autoattack and no diversity in skill pool.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Gotta agree that the breakbar is fine, it’s a bit quick, but low, so everyone tossing just something should break it without a problem. The only problem is a lot of people kiting it way far out and just running out rather than trying to CC.

Anti-melee I agree with as well, right now he’s actually really fun to “tank” but considering his agro mechanics I don’t think having a tank was intended, which means they expect us to kite or just have everyone tank up so they can take the hits… that’s not right. Weakening the 1-2 and strengthening the 3rd hit would seem fair to me, that or let him actually be tanked, either or would work for me. He is anti-melee for sure, but at least not as much as Bloomhunger has shown to be.

VodCom.6924

Gotta agree that the breakbar is fine, it’s a bit quick, but low

Exactly how I see it. Because most ppl are ranging, by the time a warrior get in melee to headbutt, the spin has already started.

The archdiviner’s “cone” is as quick as the gladiator’s spin but since people can melee the former, breaking his bar is manageable if your group knows what to do.