Survival Dungeon

Survival Dungeon

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Black cat XIII.3576

Black cat XIII.3576

I am starting this topic in hopes that a new Survival Dungeon can and will be added to GW2. A dungeon with no end and no respawn where your party (5 players just like any other dungeon) must survive and kill wave after wave. Rewards would be based on completed waves, each wave with increased difficulty. The reward would not be given wave by wave but given due to total number of wave completed after loss. Loss would be when everyone dies thus no one can resurrect another player. The arena to keep from being exploited would have to be mostly flat and the monsters would come to you. The dungeon could have a repair anvil and basic merchant in a room that only opens between waves or every five waves. This would allow you to salvage and sell items acquired from drops.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Angel Cat XIII.1269

Angel Cat XIII.1269

Yeah they could send the waves with Veterans, Elites, Champions, and even Legendary if you get far enough! This is a great idea, I think people would have a lot of fun with it.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Did you just use your alt account comment on your own post?

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: taznivek.2943

taznivek.2943

yeah this sounds like a great idea i hope that this gets put into the game would be sweet

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

Make lupi respawn after each kill and see how many rounds you can last… solo.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

no clue but i aprove of that idea. Gives a purpose to more survival focused build in a gauntlet arena type fight and open more build possibility. Lets call it the lion arch collosum or something like that, didnt they said they hosted gladiatorial fight there anyway?

I mean they could make it work like that graveling event in AC cept now you CANT destroy the nests XD

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Have you played the Nightmare Tower? that was a “survival” experience and most players complained about it… I for once loved it and would love to see some hostile poisoning environment again

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Survival Dungeon

kyubi.3620

theres a large defrence between moving up floors to reach the top of a tower and fighting to the death against an endless tide of ennemies in the middle of a circular arena. Ever tried to see what happens when you cant manage to destroy the graveling nest fast enought in AC? Imagine that to the scale of an instance wich rewards the player based on time.

Survival Dungeon

Black cat XIII.3576

Nope that’s my girlfriends account.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

Nightmare tower was a piece of cake once you figured it out. There was not a threat. It was fun, I liked it a lot, but calling it a hostile environment (at the very least more than other stuff present ingame) is too much

Now for the OP suggestion, a fixed scaling with fixed waves would end up in everyone asking for the best gear+classes+traits simply to reach the highest possible mark.

An idea of survival rather than completion is bound to cause gearing elitism. The thing is, current pure dps dungeon completion metagame is based off you know what i am too tired to complete this post today i have to go to sleep but you probably got my point nightynite

Defeated by packet loss.

Survival Dungeon

kyubi.3620

DPS would likely not fit in that meta here. in the case of endless waves of monsters its prety much useless to deal a thousand damage if they are just getting replaced 2 or 4 second later. DPS build hardly are good for any endurance fights we likely will see the emergeance of a bunker meta.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

I would say the opposite. If you can’t kill off the endless mobs fast enough you’ll get overwhelmed and die. Zerk Meta™

Survival Dungeon

kyubi.3620

Ill just put a small exemple… go dance with 60 gravelings or try the citadel of flame suicide room in the old style fashion (aka instead of regular mob all mob are silver circle and everyone jump in and run around trying to stay alive as much as possible) Now do tell me how zerker fits in a place where you get submerged no mather how fast you kill. Sure you buy yourself a few second of respite… thats not enought to recover all the insane damage youve taken. Youl need a highly efficient kiting dps build to even play glass cannon in that fashion, even then most efficient kiting build involve dots and ranged attack (save of course for enginer bomb kit lol). Now just to make it cheaper put a circle at the center of the map and if mob take control of that giant circle the dungeon ends wich means you cant endlessly stealth your wins.

(edited by kyubi.3620)

Survival Dungeon

Black cat XIII.3576

I would hope that the mob would be a great variety of creatures from all over the game. Maybe you are surviving mobs from a broken Asura gate.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Big Daddy D.7503

Big Daddy D.7503

It would be nice to get champ chests all along while working towards your final pay off. Maybe bonus chests every 5 rounds. Sounds good.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

An epic team of heros enter the dungeons, ready to face their foes. Aaand 3 sec later everyone dc’s because anet servers are garbage, and there’s your restart. Yeah. It would be a nice idea if this game was playable for hours straight without anyone getting lags or dcs.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Survival Dungeon

Black cat XIII.3576

Nightmare tower was a piece of cake once you figured it out. There was not a threat. It was fun, I liked it a lot, but calling it a hostile environment (at the very least more than other stuff present ingame) is too much

Now for the OP suggestion, a fixed scaling with fixed waves would end up in everyone asking for the best gear+classes+traits simply to reach the highest possible mark.

An idea of survival rather than completion is bound to cause gearing elitism. The thing is, current pure dps dungeon completion metagame is based off you know what i am too tired to complete this post today i have to go to sleep but you probably got my point nightynite

It is not hard to get a team of five together so let the “gearing elitism” fall by the wayside and just have fun.

Survival Dungeon

Black cat XIII.3576

Aarah and fractals are hours worth of dungeon so DC’s are not that big of a problem just get back in in between waves.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

Sounds awesome, and btw, zerker meta wouldn’t change in the least.

1) all content has to be completable regardless of gear/build
2) that implies, that you cannot have content, where it’s not possible to get to let’s say lvl 100 wave on zerker gear, while it’s do-able on soldier. It might be easier with soldier’s at first, but it cannot be impossible on other sets
3) since it cannot be impossible to complete on zerker sets, survival while running zerk would be a matter of teamwork and individual skill (:O how surprising)
4) zerker does more damage = zerker is faster = zerker is more money for the same time = zerker is better

The only way to do something about zerker meta would be to add more high armor low HP bosses like Berserker Abomination from Arah p2 into the new survival dungeon, which could potentially turn some rampager’s specs viable. Other than that defensive gear is always bound to be training wheels in this game, nothing in the world (other than maybe complete combat system overhaul) can change that.

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Seen it done in other games, with high praise for the most parts (aside from the normal malcontented population)

EQ had a handful of variations. We had just old bosses singled out and made into a gauntlet that you built to get through, so start at some oldschool content and work to the most recent, we had a dragon version, a giant version and an undead version. Then we had multiple trial raids, IIRC it was Marathon, Endurance, and Speed. Speed was a big nasty thing with some interesting mechanics to reward different types of damage (imagine phase changing to take almost no melee damage but doubled condi damage). Endurance was probably best fitting what is described here, a series of waves of different combinations of enemies with some bosses every now and then. Edurance was one big nasty boss that couldn’t be killed, you fought till you lost the battle of attrition.

It was a LOT of fun, so much so that actually many different guilds eventually built themselves up to doing the Endurance trial till the instance closed on them, it had a hardcap of 6 hours was a few years after it was developed and a lot of power creep till we got there though. Silly to do it that long but hey, we had fun doing it.

Survival Dungeon

Mesket.5728

two things regarding this…

1) you can’t deny the endless complain post and rants on map chat because everyone kept dying and dying.

2) never in the hystory of GW2 was there a place were so many players kept dying over and over again.

It was cake, indeed, for players like you and me who knows the mechanic. For the average joe all happy doing CoF is his shinny zerk armor its not.

It was hostile in a sense there was constant poison and hallucination on the rooms above third floor and silvers spawned constantly. Also, toxic faction introduced some nice mechanics that players were not used to either, sum to all that the little flowers that kept exploding and killing people.

The place was and still is in my book the most fun place ever in the game.

I’d love to see it again and harder, but the community won’t let that happen.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

Don’t blame it on zerkers that they won’t introduce harder content. Anyone who didn’t know the mechanics and refusing to adapt failed. Including all the special snowflakes with their unique builds.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: hybrid.5027

hybrid.5027

try the citadel of flame suicide room in the old style fashion (aka instead of regular mob all mob are silver circle and everyone jump in and run around trying to stay alive as much as possible) Now do tell me how zerker fits in a place

Ummm, killing all the elite mobs that spawned was how we did it in those days. Only scrubs actually did the suicide-kite-waypoint rush method.

I know who I am, do you know who you are?

Survival Dungeon

Black cat XIII.3576

So bringing this back to topic if they were to put in a survival dungeon how would you like to see it done and what would be the pros and cons to your idea?

Survival Dungeon

hybrid.5027

They could pretty much copy paste the tower, add some good rewards and implement some mechanism to prevent people from skipping to the end with stealth, and mechanisms to prevent people from farming the trash mobs for loot bags over and over. I’d play it.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Turn the last boss from the Nightmare Tower into a fractal instance with the 3 little rooms with RNG mob spawns and then the toxic hybrid at the end.

#KindaOffTopic

Survival Dungeon

Mesket.5728

They could pretty much copy paste the tower, add some good rewards and implement some mechanism to prevent people from skipping to the end with stealth, and mechanisms to prevent people from farming the trash mobs for loot bags over and over. I’d play it.

^
Though I’m not that against on players farming the mobs

I’d add some environment hazards to prevent zerg festing and maybe reduce the max number of players per instance.

ANET PLEASE LET US DISCOVER A NEW OR OLD TOWER IN MAGUMAA!!! Maybe a prototype? pretty please?

Survival Dungeon

kyubi.3620

dredge mode with no corner to hide in a circular arena and auto agro XD this would be fun

Survival Dungeon

Black cat XIII.3576

The tower was a massive group dungeon you move through. The ideal survival dungeon would be a party dungeon (5 people in a party entering) where something like an Asura gate gone haywire would be sending in enemies from far and wide. Dungeons are about surviving to the end, but the survival dungeon is about how many waves you can survive without end.

Picture this. You enter an Asuran lab and they are testing a single gate that can go anywhere without having a gate at the other location. They start up the gate but the control panel has been sabotaged by inquest and it explodes. “Oh well we can build another.” Then the gate fires up and the Asura close the doors with you inside saying “We have to quarantine the area until we know that the environment is safe.” Then a wave of icebrood pour through the gate. The Asura says “Lock it down! We can’t let the dragon’s minions out!” Now your stuck and the carnage begins. After you dispatch of the first wave the gate fires up again and destroyers come through. “The gate is choosing coordinates at random. Be careful we have no idea what could come out of there!” Then after a few more waves you get to wave five when the arm of a dragon reaches through the portal! “Attack the arm of the dragon! If you can hurt it bad enough it will pull it’s arm back and we can temporarily overload the gate. We may not be able to stop it, but we can give you a break.” Let your imagination continue from there.

The Survival Dungeon would be endless and the final reward would be based on how many waves you survived before your party were finally overcome and died.

Survival Dungeon

kyubi.3620

The tower was a massive group dungeon you move through. The ideal survival dungeon would be a party dungeon (5 people in a party entering) where something like an Asura gate gone haywire would be sending in enemies from far and wide. Dungeons are about surviving to the end, but the survival dungeon is about how many waves you can survive without end.

Picture this. You enter an Asuran lab and they are testing a single gate that can go anywhere without having a gate at the other location. They start up the gate but the control panel has been sabotaged by inquest and it explodes. “Oh well we can build another.” Then the gate fires up and the Asura close the doors with you inside saying “We have to quarantine the area until we know that the environment is safe.” Then a wave of icebrood pour through the gate. The Asura says “Lock it down! We can’t let the dragon’s minions out!” Now your stuck and the carnage begins. After you dispatch of the first wave the gate fires up again and destroyers come through. “The gate is choosing coordinates at random. Be careful we have no idea what could come out of there!” Then after a few more waves you get to wave five when the arm of a dragon reaches through the portal! “Attack the arm of the dragon! If you can hurt it bad enough it will pull it’s arm back and we can temporarily overload the gate. We may not be able to stop it, but we can give you a break.” Let your imagination continue from there.

The Survival Dungeon would be endless and the final reward would be based on how many waves you survived before your party were finally overcome and died.

Remove any possible corner for impossible wall stacking and you got a serious deal especialy if the ennemy has ranged unit amonst its rank. What about a circular arena so mob can actualy hit you from anywhere

Survival Dungeon

Black cat XIII.3576

Remove any possible corner for impossible wall stacking and you got a serious deal especialy if the ennemy has ranged unit amonst its rank. What about a circular arena so mob can actualy hit you from anywhere

I love the circular lab idea and it wouldn’t be too hard to do.

Survival Dungeon

hybrid.5027

You might as well say “remove any strategy or tactics that smart players could use to succeed in the instance.” I can tolerate a lot of dumb ideas, but I won’t tolerate asinine, uncreative ideas.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Well, greatsword 5, stack them, kill them. It’s not really a huge problem. A flat room is just ugly.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

As oxtred said, smart players could use their skills to succeed as well…

I really don’t see how it’s asinine to be a bit tired of the stacking trick, at this point it’s not some ingenious strategy, it’s just a standard strategy. Without a corner to LoS and stack them up you’d have to actually apply some other strategy. We have a big bag of tricks, I’m sure we could come up with something.

Survival Dungeon

Mesket.5728

Its not player strats that needs counter… mobs AI need some strat as well…

Some players didn’t play GW1 so here is something they might like: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Zaishen_Challenge

In GW1, after a while, devs copied the players most common used strategies in PVP and applied it to NPCs. It wasn’t perfect but seeing NPCs using IWAY or spike tactics was a nice turn of events. This was later applied to mobs in open maps as well though I don’t remember what chronologically happened first.

edit: meh, I thought the link to the wiki would explain a little further the different strategies used by AI, it actually tells how to beat them ¬¬

Survival Dungeon

kyubi.3620

You might as well say “remove any strategy or tactics that smart players could use to succeed in the instance.” I can tolerate a lot of dumb ideas, but I won’t tolerate asinine, uncreative ideas.

You call standing still stupidly and gathering all mob togueter tactics? I call that exploiting. Sure thats effective but you guys have it way to easy.. lets see how you fare when mobs are scattered all over the place.

As for guild wars 1. Yea we could use having healer style ennemies who put back foes to full health or mesmer/ranger interupt spammer ruining our life once again, at least people would start thinking over when spamming their rotation. I miss the mage stone wind riders and other funzies.

(edited by kyubi.3620)

Survival Dungeon

Mesket.5728

You call standing still stupidly and gathering all mob togueter tactics? I call that exploiting

LOS pulling has literally more years than some players (I remember doing it in 1997 in UO to pull orc archers out of their forts). It is and it is not an exploit. It is in a sense that you are taking advantage of poor AI. It is not because the game is letting you go with it and its not something hidden or even hard to fix, they just let you.

Survival Dungeon

hybrid.5027

You call standing still stupidly and gathering all mob togueter tactics? I call that exploiting. Sure thats effective but you guys have it way to easy.. lets see how you fare when mobs are scattered all over the place.

I call using terrain to your advantage to be a valid tactic, yes. I know exactly how’d I’d fare if they were scattered, I would crush the content with ease thanks for you concern though. The difference is if there was some tactical application it might hold my interest for a few minutes, whereas a blank empty room wouldn’t hold it at all.

Survival Dungeon

kyubi.3620

Point is youl need to rely on your party composition and less on possible AI failures. You say you have it to easy because of AI behing dumb? I say then lets remove potential AI programming weakness so to limit how much player can actualy make a 20 vs 5 fight easy.

That LOS is as old as the beginning of MMO doesnt mean encounters were designed to be based on them. LOS makes thing easier, so if we want to have some form of challange we need to remove it. You cant deny the difficulty of an encontroled encounter ramps up way higher then a stacking kill and thats exactly the kind of challange the team should face in that kind of gauntlet event. Is LOS a valid tactics? Yes it is but the question you should ask yourself is would LOS be actualy a pertinant option to give to the players in a survival arena type dungeon, I think not. Its in the DEV best interest to make the encounters as challanging as possible and LOS doesnt make things challanging at all it makes it easy.

Rely more on build and team composition less on terrain gimmicks.
Everyone here been longuing for a hard challange, as such they need to avoid providing players the tool to dumb everything down to a dps race.

(edited by kyubi.3620)

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Point is youl need to rely on your party composition and less on possible AI failures. You say you have it to easy because of AI behing dumb? I say then lets remove potential AI programming weakness so to limit how much player can actualy make a 20 vs 5 fight easy.

That LOS is as old as the beginning of MMO doesnt mean encounters were designed to be based on them. LOS makes thing easier, so if we want to have some form of challange we need to remove it. You cant deny the difficulty of an encontroled encounter ramps up way higher then a stacking kill and thats exactly the kind of challange the team should face in that kind of gauntlet event. Is LOS a valid tactics? Yes it is but the question you should ask yourself is would LOS be actualy a pertinant option to give to the players in a survival arena type dungeon, I think not. Its in the DEV best interest to make the encounters as challanging as possible and LOS doesnt make things challanging at all it makes it easy.

Rely more on build and team composition less on terrain gimmicks.
Everyone here been longuing for a hard challange, as such they need to avoid providing players the tool to dumb everything down to a dps race.

Exactly. No necro’s. Also stacking is not the problem. Tis merely a problem with the ai. Have mobs flee more than once., have them cast retal, etc etc

that way its less of simply LOS stacking them and more of
1.Mesmer – pull em into the corner > immob them
2. they are spreading out
3. War roll outwards with proper positioning and fear em back in/ knockdown the ones that are spreading out.
4.Guardian pull them to you with gs5

and all with proper timing whilst doing damage/ dodging/ cleaning conditions etc etc

heck se story the first golem had a great anti stack ability. Only problem is he dies too fast/ its not threatening enough.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

here are some challenges from GW1 that might fit your description of a survival mission:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dragon%27s_Throat
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Zos_Shivros_Channel

in both of these you go until you die (the first also has a timer that increases when you kill a boss)

I was thinking of the zos shivros mostly while reading this topic

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Nope that’s my girlfriends account.

sounds very handy. Both playing gw2 and all..

In other news.. This would still end up as dps race. Kill wave before it can kill you.
Rallies ftw.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

no clue but i aprove of that idea. Gives a purpose to more survival focused build in a gauntlet arena type fight and open more build possibility. Lets call it the lion arch collosum or something like that, didnt they said they hosted gladiatorial fight there anyway?

I mean they could make it work like that graveling event in AC cept now you CANT destroy the nests XD

Seems like it would fit the Charr theme. And the Black Citadel already have an arena.
This sounds like a lot of fun. It will probably become a cauldron of elitism, but doing it with guildies would be perfect! Perhaps you could have things like a Trebuchet (maybe you earn currency after each wave which can be used to purchase a Trebuchet, or a permanent Water Field i.e.)

An arena like this already exists in Plains of Ashford, although simplified and on a small scale.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Survival Dungeon

Phadde.7362

In other news.. This would still end up as dps race. Kill wave before it can kill you.
Rallies ftw.

Although ANet seem unwilling to do so, it’s not all that hard to make the combat move away from the extreme dps focus that currently exists.

… and as the waves gets tougher, the only way of slaying them is likely to be through focusing on survival and support. (Multiple sets of equipment might become more useful than ever)

Cred to Latinkuro

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Rallies ftw.

Although ANet seem unwilling to do so, it’s not all that hard to make the combat move away from the extreme dps focus that currently exists.

… and as the waves gets tougher, the only way of slaying them is likely to be through focusing on survival and support. (Multiple sets of equipment might become more useful than ever)

You seem to misunderstand.
There is still the use of support and CC skills in dps meta.

A wave will still be easier to survive with high dps. As I said: Rallies ftw.

OH yeah, most people think hard res > rallies. That is just a lack of understanding of down state and rally mechanics. Its quite annoying actually. especially when a boss is at 5% or less.

fact remains: full glass zerkers are the hardest builds to play because you have to know when to use certain skills and dodges.

see this thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Carried-Players/first#post4476334

This will still be a DPS race. Granted a DPS race where the higher skilled and more experienced players will go further, but it will still be full zerk+scholar teams who go furthest.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Survival Dungeon

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

No ooc between waves!

Survival Dungeon

Phadde.7362

Rallies ftw.

You seem to misunderstand.
There is still the use of support and CC skills in dps meta.

A wave will still be easier to survive with high dps. As I said: Rallies ftw.

Yeah, I misunderstood a bit; I misread the OP and though that the Rally-function would be disabled.
Also I didn’t say that there where not use for the two remaining part of the GW2 combat-trinity, I talked about which part of the trinity was focused on (build-wise).

Cred to Latinkuro