Swampland Fractal Tree exploit

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Since Anet has taken away the exploit of sitting on the wooden beam sticking out from the house groups are now taking to the trees.

Please anet fix this exploit. Make it so trees in the boss area cannot be climbed.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

well the wooden beam allowed people to do it with very low ar, I know a friend who did it with 55 ar for about a month.

The tree you cant really do the same since he will throw axes into the group were ever you stand.
And if group got enough ar your better of doing the fight normaly anyway.

Posted by: Stajan.4581

Stajan.4581

Listen it is not an exploit because they made it possible to jump into the trees if you climb the tree he becomes invulnerable and can not be hurt. Second off if anet has a problem with players finding an easier way to play the game then pull the game from the shelves and re do it, it is that simple they can not and will nto be able to cover everything and make it visually appealing. So suck it up buttecup and learn to enjoy the game if you do not want to use a tree don’t use it if you want to stack in the corner need the stairs which by the way is another place you can then do that he throws axes just like the ranger so get over it.

Posted by: Rhyav.4812

Rhyav.4812

Listen it is not an exploit because they made it possible to jump into the trees if you climb the tree he becomes invulnerable and can not be hurt. Second off if anet has a problem with players finding an easier way to play the game then pull the game from the shelves and re do it, it is that simple they can not and will nto be able to cover everything and make it visually appealing. So suck it up buttecup and learn to enjoy the game if you do not want to use a tree don’t use it if you want to stack in the corner need the stairs which by the way is another place you can then do that he throws axes just like the ranger so get over it.

Here, take a chill pill buddy.

He doesn’t become invulnerable when you’re over the tree, I did it like 2 days ago and it’s exactly the same as the hut.

The Mossman had like 5 exploit areas by now so this will continue. Personally I find no entertainment in Fractals as is the exact same thing every time, so I don’t care if people use exploits to get the rewards fast.

Hopefully those new Fractals ANet mentioned will be here soon.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Who cares anymore, like really ?

If you don’t want to run with a group that exploits, get some like minded friends and form a party or guild.

If you’re going into a pug group expecting anything other than the path of least resistance you’re going to be in for disappointment every time.

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

[…]learn to enjoy the game if you do not want to use a tree don’t use it [..]

Once I refused to go on the tree during scale 67, people just kicked me while I’ve done this before with same pugs in scale 77 (at least they said hello to my blacklist). Now for “enjoy the game” I have to use exploit like everyone else, because they will kick me if I don’t do it. Do you think this is fair? I don’t think so. The OP is right, this need a fix.

Sorry but if you don’t want to kill it the right way, you are just lazy. Don’t have enough AR? Don’t go there, then. The fight is easy if everyone know how to dodge and use boons/support.

(edited by Khyan.7039)

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Once I refused to go on the tree during scale 67, people just kicked me while I’ve done this before with same pugs in scale 77 (at least they said hello to my blacklist). Now for “enjoy the game” I have to use exploit like everyone else, because they will kick me if I don’t do it. Do you think this is fair? I don’t think so. The OP is right, this need a fix.

Sorry but if you don’t want to kill it the right way, you are just lazy. Don’t have enough AR? Don’t go there, then. The fight is easy if everyone know how to dodge and use boons/support.

Group opinion>your opinion. It’s called life.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Posted by: Dream Shake.8741

Dream Shake.8741

Once I refused to go on the tree during scale 67, people just kicked me

Once I suggested to kill Mossman regularly and everyone agreed.

So what do we do now?

Posted by: Bwadark.2519

Bwadark.2519

What I love most is the amount of excuses that I hear when it comes to the tree.

’It’s a boring fight, mechanically. It’s not interesting so I exploit it.’
This makes the fight duller. And we have the choice of which fractals to take.

’I’ve been doing Fractals since Fractals have been released. I find them boring, so I’ll exploit it’
Why not, just not do them?
-answer
‘Currently they’re the most reliable place to get a ascended and they’re good for gold.’
So you’re playing them for efficiency. But once you have the ascended and gold, then what?

I don’t wish to criticise my fellow gamer’s, but it amuses me that these are the same people who complain about lack of content. While purposely repeating the same grind each day.

Posted by: DeoDose.4237

DeoDose.4237

I open groups and tell everyone if it’s okay for them not to exploit mossmann – and still get kicked very often.

Most players that stack on the tree are just too bad to dodge his attacks, the amount of bearbows, eartheles and minionmasters who like to sit there is proving my point

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

What I love most is the amount of excuses that I hear when it comes to the tree.

’It’s a boring fight, mechanically. It’s not interesting so I exploit it.’
This makes the fight duller. And we have the choice of which fractals to take.

’I’ve been doing Fractals since Fractals have been released. I find them boring, so I’ll exploit it’
Why not, just not do them?
-answer
‘Currently they’re the most reliable place to get a ascended and they’re good for gold.’
So you’re playing them for efficiency. But once you have the ascended and gold, then what?

I don’t wish to criticise my fellow gamer’s, but it amuses me that these are the same people who complain about lack of content. While purposely repeating the same grind each day.

There’s never going to be enough ascended and gold. Not for me at least.
There’s no such thing as ever having “enough”. The loot must flow.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

I open groups and tell everyone if it’s okay for them not to exploit mossmann – and still get kicked very often.

Most players that stack on the tree are just too bad to dodge his attacks, the amount of bearbows, eartheles and minionmasters who like to sit there is proving my point

We already had this argument a lot now and it is hard countered by the fact that you can’t even see the animations of Mr. Moss while having adjusted lower graphic setups. Too much fire work everywhere.
Ok, there is one possibility: 5 man ranging like they do on lvl 2 fractals. Sry Sir, not my playstyle.
So either you “exploit” on the tree or you have a guard or mesmer with you that know how to play the class but that, my dear, is even rare than lvl 2 players meleeing.

There’s never going to be enough ascended and gold. Not for me at least.
There’s no such thing as ever having “enough”. The loot must flow.

#

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

So either you “exploit” on the tree or you have a guard or mesmer with you that know how to play the class but that, my dear, is even rare than lvl 2 players meleeing.

My guild yolo melees him with Berserker/Chronomancer/Herald/Tempest and no fifth party member on 77. He dies at least 50% faster than the exploit methods with full parties.

Also for anyone who thinks this isn’t an exploit, it is. Source: I talk to ANet.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Vinceman.4572

Yeah, you said it: “my guild”. You can also pug this but you need to have all players paying more attention than in every other fractal around this level, except for 74, maybe.
In your team composition everything is set up for a clean and easy fight, but you don’t have this in pugs everytime and therefore I can understand every single person to have their loot in the easiest way possible.
They should not just fix the exploit, they should also redesign Mossman.

Posted by: Lendruil.9061

Lendruil.9061

Mossman is fine how he is (except that he deals way too less damage), if people are too bad to kill him legit, then they also shouldn’t get the shinies.

Skuldin - No Hesitation [hT]

Vinceman.4572

In my opinion he is not because you can’t see his animations properly not even with lower graphic settings. Let him do more damage np for me as I have never had any problems with him in the past, but at least give players an excellent vision on him maybe with an enlightened map or anything else, so that everybody can dodge while one or two of the random players aren’t able to use group supporting spells. And remove the stupid “no dodge” instability. It is pure bs.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Swampland is basically a boss fractal, but Mossman is a terrible boss. All he does is melee attack and throw daggers and sometimes at 10% health he gains some new skills.

I don’t understand why the developers keep on playing whack-a-mole with safe spots and exploits when the problem is that Mossman is just too easy to exploit in his current form. You don’t need to sterilize his arena, but instead just give him some meaningful skills to use.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

My guild yolo melees him with Berserker/Chronomancer/Herald/Tempest and no fifth party member on 77. He dies at least 50% faster than the exploit methods with full parties.

Also for anyone who thinks this isn’t an exploit, it is. Source: I talk to ANet.

Cool – if these are exploits and they’re aware of them – why no fix? I mean – when they passed over the pole thing – why not see what other terrain you can address?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

Cool – if these are exploits and they’re aware of them – why no fix? I mean – when they passed over the pole thing – why not see what other terrain you can address?

It’s Anet we’re talking about here, it took them a year to “fix” the underwater exploit, and even longer to fix the pole, since it has been around forever.
They will probably wait until the next seasonal patch like they do with everything, and keep hotfixes for gemstore related stuff.

Might want to add that the tree exploit was used even before people found the underwater stuff, and there are 2,5 year old reddit threads about it

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

Swampland is basically a boss fractal, but Mossman is a terrible boss. All he does is melee attack and throw daggers and sometimes at 10% health he gains some new skills.

I don’t understand why the developers keep on playing whack-a-mole with safe spots and exploits when the problem is that Mossman is just too easy to exploit in his current form. You don’t need to sterilize his arena, but instead just give him some meaningful skills to use.

Bingo. If they’re so insistent in keeping the scenery at least make it to where the boss can appropriately work with all aspects of the arena. Right now, his design seems works no differently than any other boss that’s programmed for open arena combat. Heck, let him shapeshift into a raven so he can fly around and attack everyone.

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

Yeah this is pretty much spot on…once the pole got nerfed and my group actually fought mossman for once we realized how insanely easy the fight is. His break bar recharges so fast (and he spends so much time stealthed) that you can keep him stunned for like 75%+ of the time he is actually visible, and even prevent his transform. Furthermore his damage before he transforms is pretty pathetic at all scales. At this point even if the pole came back we would probably just fight him normally since it is faster.

Most of the fractal bosses are pretty good encounters, so it would be nice if mossman (and bloomhunger and svanir shaman) were made a little better too.

And I never thought about it before but swamp really is a boss fractal lol…it’s is the only scale besides jade maw where you fight literally zero pre-boss trash.

Rising Dusk.2408

They like to gather fixes together into larger patches. There was also a bunch of holiday paid time off being taken by members of the team prior to the Mossman pole fix. I presume they will fix the other exploits in short order.

Also, they’re actually working on new Fractals, which everyone has been clamoring for. This means the terrain artists allocated to Fractals development are using their time elsewhere, and their QA is focused on other things.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Petrol.9086

Petrol.9086

Why can’t people just play the kittening game. How lazy do you have to be to go out of your way to do as little as possible in a game you supposedly play for relaxation and fun.

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

I actually joined a PUG yesterday that ws 56-67-77 No tree stacking. It was nice to just kill it normally….until…

At about 5% hp Mossman feared a couple of us into the water. This caused him to regen to full HP and he was stuck in his beast mode the whole time. So that was interesting.

But ya. I just don’t stack on the tree anymore. If I die because I am the only one not on the tree then they can just 4 man it.

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

At about 5% hp Mossman feared a couple of us into the water. This caused him to regen to full HP and he was stuck in his beast mode the whole time. So that was interesting.

I came back to comment cuz this is super funny XD

TexZero.7910

Why can’t people just play the kittening game. How lazy do you have to be to go out of your way to do as little as possible in a game you supposedly play for relaxation and fun.

It’s a game; some people play for fun, others play for speed clear, while some play for the rewards.

Most people, not just limited to gamers will always opt for the path of least resistance in life. If you’re not one of those people, great there’s a solution put in some effort find a like minded group and go have fun.

It’s the same as this https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/202948/image.jpg

….Now go play how you want.

Posted by: Kattenpootjes.4291

Kattenpootjes.4291

He can also be killed when you run around, plz make it so that we can’t run around!!!!111one

But oh he can also be killed when you stack inside or in front of him…. Well isnt this a dilemma!

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

It’s a game; some people play for fun, others play for speed clear, while some play for the rewards.

Most people, not just limited to gamers will always opt for the path of least resistance in life. If you’re not one of those people, great there’s a solution put in some effort find a like minded group and go have fun.

It’s the same as this https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/202948/image.jpg

The problem is that in LFG most of the groups ad their run as “56-67-77”. A guy who doesn’t want to use the exploit gets kicked during 67 after doing 56 just fine. Is it right to force other people to use exploits when the LFG ad doesn’t indicate any particular method.

(edited by NotOverlyCheesy.9427)

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

People don’t really want to exploit these fights, it’s just preferable to the alternative.

Never mind all of the ‘Oh, but this fight is SO fast and easy to do legit’ talk. It’s rubbish, all of it. I’ve been in quite a few level 21 Swamp fracs where people got downed. Some even died. At the higher levels I’ve seen half the party go down in a few seconds attempting to fight him off the pole.

The problem with the fight is that you can hardly see what Mossy’s doing half the time through the spell effects and other players with their great big floppy wings and what not.

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

People don’t really want to exploit these fights, it’s just preferable to the alternative.

Never mind all of the ‘Oh, but this fight is SO fast and easy to do legit’ talk. It’s rubbish, all of it. I’ve been in quite a few level 21 Swamp fracs where people got downed. Some even died. At the higher levels I’ve seen half the party go down in a few seconds attempting to fight him off the pole.

The problem with the fight is that you can hardly see what Mossy’s doing half the time through the spell effects and other players with their great big floppy wings and what not.

I’m sorry, but if you’re having problems with downing/dying players at scale 21 you clearly aren’t ready for anything beyond that or aren’t bringing the right team/gear. Even with all the flashiness and glamour there’s only one attack that you truly have to watch out for: his bouncing axe. During stealth he’ll throw this out of nowhere, but it’s easily mitigated. Out in the open he’ll do a quick shadowstep, cross his arms for a second or two, and then throw the attack. I’ll admit that I can’t always see his AA, but that attack got nerfed to the ground even at higher levels.

Other than that? There’s not really much else to the boss. If you’re having that much trouble with it bringing a Druid for perma Protection and Regen as well as heals. You can also bring a Chrono for high reflect uptime against his axe, and you’ll also get some offense buffing through Quickness and Alacrity.

TexZero.7910

The problem is that in LFG most of the groups ad their run as “56-67-77”. A guy who doesn’t want to use the exploit gets kicked during 67 after doing 56 just fine. Is it right to force other people to use exploits when the LFG ad doesn’t indicate any particular method.

The gun isn’t at their head. If they see people exploiting they do not have to stay in said group and are more than capable of starting their own.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

to those people, i would suggest using an lfg like “56 67 77 tree = kick”

i did so last night and the 3 pugs i got were actually the best ive seen since HoT launched and fractals got flooded with toxic baddies from dungeons.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Rising Dusk.2408

i did so last night and the 3 pugs i got were actually the best ive seen since HoT launched and fractals got flooded with toxic baddies from dungeons.

This is totally true. A lot of the really good players only do the dailies with their guilds, but will be lured into pubs by the prospect of beating the snot out of Mossman legit. I consider myself a pretty good player and I certainly prioritize joining no-exploit runs over the standard fare.

Jahroots.6791

I’m sorry, but if you’re having problems with downing/dying players at scale 21 you clearly aren’t ready for anything beyond that or aren’t bringing the right team/gear.

I’m pugging, and this is the point of my post – We play it safe because we don’t know the build or ability of the rest of the party.

‘Everyone hop on this thing!’ is essentially foolproof.

(edited by Jahroots.6791)

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

The first step in addressing these exploits is to reduce particle effects so you can see all animations of the boss. It is a general problem, the more troublesome when the target is small.
One reason for using these exploits (not trying to excuse their use) comes from the frustration of not seeing the fatal blow. You should always remove the cause of unwanted behaviour.

Rising Dusk.2408

The first step in addressing these exploits is to reduce particle effects so you can see all animations of the boss.

The better (and cheaper) solution is to do what they did with raid humanoids—Make them much taller so they can’t get lost in the visual noise.

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Pfff just do what we did when uw was a thing. Attack outside the spot… Problem solved.

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

The gun isn’t at their head. If they see people exploiting they do not have to stay in said group and are more than capable of starting their own.

You missed the point. The moral dilemma was not if the guy who doesnt want to exploit should stay or not. It was that do the other people have the right to kick him for not breaking under the pressure to use exploits himself. Joining a simple “56-67-77” should not force anyone to use exploits. If people do want to use exploits, they should name it in the LFG as “56-67-77 tree exploiting”

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

You missed the point. The moral dilemma was not if the guy who doesnt want to exploit should stay or not. It was that do the other people have the right to kick him for not breaking under the pressure to use exploits himself. Joining a simple “56-67-77” should not force anyone to use exploits. If people do want to use exploits, they should name it in the LFG as “56-67-77 tree exploiting”

That’s ridiculous. Regardless of whether you think it’s morally right to use the mossman exploits, if four of the people in the group want to stand on the tree and one person refuses he is just wasting the time of the other four people. When I do dailies with my guild we don’t even use the tree because it’s slower, but if I joined a pug 77 and someone refused to use the tree even when everyone else obviously wanted to, I would absolutely kick that person just like I would any other griefer. If you like the mossman fight that much then make your own group for it, don’t waste four other peoples’ time.

Jahroots.6791

That doesn’t strike me as a moral dilemma. Pugs have always used cheese tactics. Always.

Anyone who’s been playing long enough to be fighting 51+ Mossman (and presumably is capable of beating him legit) really ought to be expecting it.

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Well you have two choices. Sit on a tree and take forever, or play legit and kill mossman in half the time.

Posted by: mbhalo.1547

mbhalo.1547

It is not an exploit – it is using your surroundings for the tactical advantage.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

except it isnt an advantage, you still take axes to the face and you get feared off the stupid tree and have to waste time jumping back on it while getting rekt by 20 invulnerable (vet) wolves.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Bonecrusher.8573

Bonecrusher.8573

While it does take an unnecessary amount of time to kill Mossman on 77, there is still no need to be a tree-hugger. It makes it take longer IMO. Doing it legit is 100% PUG friendly as long as nobody wimps out.

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

@Dinosaurs So you would kick people for not being ok with breaking the ToS which can in theory lead to a ban? Moral dilemma indeed…

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

I’m sorry, but if you’re having problems with downing/dying players at scale 21 you clearly aren’t ready for anything beyond that or aren’t bringing the right team/gear.

I’m pugging, and this is the point of my post – We play it safe because we don’t know the build or ability of the rest of the party.

‘Everyone hop on this thing!’ is essentially foolproof.

And you don’t see the problem with that? The point is (whether in a pug or any other group) to beat the encounter. There should be no safety nets. Otherwise they could just add an NPC to the fractals lobby that gives you a “Bag of Mossman’s Loot” for every Mossman level once per day. Asking for confirmation of course… You can buy this only once per day per account, are you sure you want to buy it now? REALLY SURE?

(edited by kolompi.1287)

TexZero.7910

You missed the entire point yourself there bud.
If said person has such a strong moral compass then why are they even sticking around, let alone sticking around to the point of being kicked ?

A simple right click leave party solves the problem for the moral compass, as does forming their own group of like minded players.

It’s that simple.

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

You missed the entire point yourself there bud.
If said person has such a strong moral compass then why are they even sticking around, let alone sticking around to the point of being kicked ?

A simple right click leave party solves the problem for the moral compass, as does forming their own group of like minded players.

It’s that simple.

That’s like saying a legit player has to leave Auric Basin after getting 200% participation if they see someone using position hack to tear down octovine’s stacks or a WvW player has to change server if he knows someone from his server is hacking to gain an advantage. Leaving doesn’t accomplish anything.

A legit player doesn’t have the power to stop other player from exploiting. Exploiters shouldn’t have the power to stop other players from playing legit. Kicking legit players is disrupting their gameplay.

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

A legit player doesn’t have the power to stop other player from exploiting. Exploiters shouldn’t have the power to stop other players from playing legit. Kicking legit players is disrupting their gameplay.

One player shouldn’t have the power to stop other players from playing like they agreed to play. And they have perfectly legit way to remove him from party.
Want to disrupt party? Enjoy being kicked.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Jahroots.6791

And you don’t see the problem with that? The point is (whether in a pug or any other group) to beat the encounter. There should be no safety nets.

Nope. I play for (1) loot and (2) camaraderie. To be perfectly honest, the wisp run is about as much excitement as I need from that entire instance.