Thaumnova Reactor fractal is horrible

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

The problem with this fractal is how unforgiving it is. If you don’t do the heat room right, you lose all progress. Even worse is the collider lab. If you don’t do it right on the very first try, then the safety shields end up all over inside the room and it become progressively HARDER the more times you aren’t able to execute perfectly. Literally your best option if you don’t do it perfectly the first time is to quit the fractal and restart. That is horrible design, especially since the chances of doing it exactly right the first time are minuscule for most people. This is made even worse by the golems spread throughout the rooms that, depending on your class, cannot be soloed at higher levels as you are unable to move around due to the increasingly rapid energy blasts, so as you go up in level you increasingly need multiple people who can do the room perfectly in sync. You are literally relisting your group in LFG over and over trying to find people who can pull off these 2 rooms, because unless you are that someone, your ability to do this fractal depends on getting lucky in LFG. At least the anomaly, for all it’s faults, doesn’t become harder if you fail.

(edited by Boogiepop Void.6473)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I usualy dont use the cooling coils.
I just run through it easiest as necro or warrior with elementalist flame sword.

Oh you mean the maze you do know you can dodge them normaly aswell right? only one who should need shield is the one going to first button. ( the top left corner one.

(edited by Linken.6345)

Boogiepop Void.6473

At 64 and up you have to do all 4. If there is a room you are not good at, you cannot do the fractal at all.

Not only is the collider room a deathtrap from the rayguns, but it has golems everywhere AND it’s a kitten maze and due to how frenetically I have to move around JUST TO LIVE, I still don’t know the layout. I can’t map the area in my mind with everything else going on in the room. I’m too busy not being blown up by the beams.

Posted by: Arthas.1074

Arthas.1074

Grab a necro and solo it…. The new fracs are kittening boring they should actually buff them

Boogiepop Void.6473

I don’t have a necro. My fractal character, as in the only one with enough AR to do high level fractals, is an elementalist. My other chars are a thief, a ranger, and a warrior (which I have discovered I don’t really like to play much). But I can’t use them in fractals because all my ascended armor is light armor.

Boogiepop Void.6473

Well just spent over an hour trying to do 64 for the daily. Between the heat room, the colliders, and subject 6, we all said kitten you ANet and quit. None of the 15 or 16 people that cycled through that party from LFG will ever be doing this fractal again.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Judging from your past posts, you seem to have problems with many fractals. Either you attract the worst PUGs ever, or you’ve got you’ve got to up your own game.

Fractals aren’t easy when you’re starting out and figuring out the mechanics, but there are plenty of resources to help you. Gw2dungeons and KING’s guides are terrific resources. You can argue that you know the mechanics well enough, but by definition; unless you’ve done each fractal level multiple times, you and your party still learning. Each failure should be an opportunity to as yourself “How can I improve?” or “How can I teach my team to improve?” (BTW this philosophy will be taken to further extremes when you start raiding)

IMO, the best (and least stressful) way to learn is to get a bunch of guildies who are experienced in fractals to take you through and show you the ropes. The unfortunate side-effect of the new fractal rewards system is that anyone who is in T4 has very little incentive to PUG lower tier fractals, so the quality and experience of T1-3 PUGs has definately suffered.

Edit: BTW, heat room guide:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4da51p/video_guideheat_room_solo_on_69_classes/

(edited by onevstheworld.2419)

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Heat room can be easily solo’d by most classes. Learn how and practice it a few times. Collider lab can be duo’d or potentially solo’d and it’s not always necessary to use a shield (I don’t bother picking one up as a daredevil, I just dodge and blink my way to the end and can usually hit the first button, have someone do the second, then finish it off myself).

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

At 64 and up you have to do all 4. If there is a room you are not good at, you cannot do the fractal at all.

I do Thaumanova everytime when it belongs to the daily – on T4. It’s very easy tbh, you just have to know what to do. I’m impressed you run lvl 64 and it seems that you have 0 clue of what you are doing in this fractal.

Not only is the collider room a deathtrap from the rayguns, but it has golems everywhere AND it’s a kitten maze and due to how frenetically I have to move around JUST TO LIVE, I still don’t know the layout. I can’t map the area in my mind with everything else going on in the room. I’m too busy not being blown up by the beams.

If you are struggling with the golems, you’ll have to wait a bit outside since these golems are running around and you can pull & kill several at the entrance before you even run in. They are moving all the time and you just have to attack them so they will follow you out of the maze.
For the running: Take stability, invulnerability and speed skills.
Also, run in like this: Wait short before the first attack line, run in, dodge next beam shot, use shield, dodge next beam shot, use shield again. With this order you shoul have passed the whole maze till middle console. Wait there for a moment, kill rest of the golems and then proceed to the consoles.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Boogiepop Void.6473

As I said, over 16 people cycled through that group from LFG in the course of more than an hour. I’m not going to say that that is a representative sample of all fractal players, but it’s not really ‘just [me] being bad’ as seems to be implied by some posters. This is not the first time I have run into this issue, but it is the first time it hasn’t been solved by someone who knows how to so it showing up after at most one full group replacement. The fact that “keep replacing people until you luck into someone who can do it” seems to be the DEFAULT strategy for a lot of people, not just me, as explicitly stated by some of the people who cycled through, is indicative of a problem.

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

It’s just a l2p issue and a usual thing for the levels from 30 – 75. I haven’t seen any players new to tactics/fractal levels above lvl 75. You just have to practice it and you won’t struggle any longer.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As I said, over 16 people cycled through that group from LFG in the course of more than an hour. I’m not going to say that that is a representative sample of all fractal players, but it’s not really ‘just [me] being bad’ as seems to be implied by some posters. This is not the first time I have run into this issue, but it is the first time it hasn’t been solved by someone who knows how to so it showing up after at most one full group replacement. The fact that “keep replacing people until you luck into someone who can do it” seems to be the DEFAULT strategy for a lot of people, not just me, as explicitly stated by some of the people who cycled through, is indicative of a problem.

At this point, there are only two types of players running Tier 1, 2, or 3 fractals: those trying to finish a one-time achievement and those who have yet to manage T4 on a regular basis. It should, therefore, be no surprise that the average LFGer for a difficult fractal doesn’t know all that much more than you do.

It is not, however, indicative of a problem with the fractal.

The instabilities were designed to force us to rethink our tactics, builds, and instincts. (Some are more fun at doing this than others, some are more effective; regardless, that was the intent.) And many, many people have figured out how to handle ’sploding foes, random conditions, boon stealing, and so on.

Accordingly, I think it’s too soon for you to blame the fractal. Have you watched the KING videos linked above? At the very least, Deroir does a great job explaining the issues and reviewing the techniques for dealing with them (even if sometimes, he assumes more familiarity with certain techniques than your typical PUG might have).

Here are some examples of things that you can get away with in low-level fractals that (often) fail in the face of sploding enemies and other instabilities:

• Stacking, without coordinated damage mitigation.
  • Overlapping combo fields, at least in key situations.
  • Unfamiliarity with key instance mechanics.
  • Insufficient AR, unless the player is expert at avoiding agony sources.
  • Knowing when (and how) to rez …and knowing when not to.

From my own experience in helping to grow a non-optimal group up from personal ~L10 to personal L100, I can tell you that there are lots of ‘walls’ along the way. We’ve had to change builds and tactics any number of times (and sometimes still run into difficulties when we substitute from outside the group).

tl;dr if you want to succeed, you will. If you blame the instance or the instability, then you aren’t likely to succeed.

I’m not saying you have to like the instabilities or each instance; I’m saying that you need to accept that they are doable and trust that you’ll be able to do them, if you’re willing to adjust.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Boogiepop Void.6473

Ok, this has gotten very far off of my original point, partly by my own wingeing.

One of my original points, and the most valid issue from a design perspective, concerns the Collider room and the safety shields. We can debate whether you should or should not use the shields, but it is a major design flaw that, if you should have trouble, you lose the option to use them because they are lost inside the maze. That does mean that effectively the room becomes harder if you don’t succeed at it on your first try for whatever reason.

Posted by: Ging.6485

Ging.6485

Ok, this has gotten very far off of my original point, partly by my own wingeing.

One of my original points, and the most valid issue from a design perspective, concerns the Collider room and the safety shields. We can debate whether you should or should not use the shields, but it is a major design flaw that, if you should have trouble, you lose the option to use them because they are lost inside the maze. That does mean that effectively the room becomes harder if you don’t succeed at it on your first try for whatever reason.

The entire fractal can be soloed depending on your class, here is a necro doing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWe_zKDcx7U

The laser room can be successfully done similarly with 2 people even if you have no way of warping around like that.

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

The problem with this fractal is how unforgiving it is. If you don’t do the heat room right, you lose all progress. Even worse is the collider lab. If you don’t do it right on the very first try, then the safety shields end up all over inside the room and it become progressively HARDER the more times you aren’t able to execute perfectly. Literally your best option if you don’t do it perfectly the first time is to quit the fractal and restart. That is horrible design, especially since the chances of doing it exactly right the first time are minuscule for most people. This is made even worse by the golems spread throughout the rooms that, depending on your class, cannot be soloed at higher levels as you are unable to move around due to the increasingly rapid energy blasts, so as you go up in level you increasingly need multiple people who can do the room perfectly in sync. You are literally relisting your group in LFG over and over trying to find people who can pull off these 2 rooms, because unless you are that someone, your ability to do this fractal depends on getting lucky in LFG. At least the anomaly, for all it’s faults, doesn’t become harder if you fail.

Wow haven’t posted here in a loonngg time :o
Anyway forgive my knowledge if it’s too old to use,

I know it sounds smiple, although have you tried killing all the golems first? I don’t mean to be rude in anyway. In gw you can choose ( in some degree ) where to fight, so for the first two golems, I believe you can lure them back to the corridoor with LoS ( line of sight ). That should open up a path atlest to the control pannel at the back.

Now if your at the controls facing back to the entrance, those two(?) golems on your right are tricky as you said, little room to dodge around.. From memory the switch around there was one safe sport where the lazers turrets can’t hit you and I can’t recall the other spot. Either way you’ll most likely need to cc the golems out of their spin atk so you guys don’t get pushed around and reflect his channelling beams.

As for the heat room, I can’t tell if you know about putting the cooling rods into the walls in the heat room or not so let us know if you don’t, otherwise I won’t keep telling you stuff you already know.

Other than that, it’s been a LONG time although I maybe able to help, I’m on Na if you want some help

Sarah

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

The most important thing you can do is research. Second is practice.

Fractals get progressively harder as levels go up. The heat room gets hotter. The lasers in the maze fire more often and for more damage. The doors in the east room take more damage.

And, if you think THOSE are hard, wait until the boss fight.

But, I’m not posting to discourage you. Only to point out you simply can’t outrun your ability in fractals. They’ll murder you. At EVERY level, a fractal gets harder.

When you hit a level that’s too hard, don’t quit. First, read the Wiki (and other sources). Then, do the same fractal at a lower level. Using the Wiki, notice the differences. Those differences are what you must overcome.

For example, you might be able to make it through the heat room at level 15, but at level 55, it’s another story. The heat does a lot more damage.

How to fix? Well, remember those cooling rods you get in all of the rooms? Put them into their receptacles in the heat room, because that’s what they’re for. Of course, this means you have to do the heat room last, or you won’t have all three.

Each rod lowers the damage a bit. There’s one receptacle immediately to the left of the second force field as you enter. Once you place it, you pop back out at the beginning.

Use skill 1 CONSTANTLY in there (unless you have a class that wants its own method, like Necro shroud skill 2). Every time you use skill 1, it speeds you up 5%. Any profession can safely put in the first rod without dying every time, and without using any profession skills.

Anyhow, use this progression of learning: Try, practice, try until success. Then, move to the next level. See what changed, alter your strategy, and try again. When you hit a wall (and you WILL hit walls), research, back off, and try new strategies. Keep repeating the progress up the levels.

And, whatever you do, don’t push yourself too hard. When a level is too hard, back off and practice until you get better. There’s a reason you can’t open fractals until your personal level is high enough: to keep you from getting crushed.

Yeah, you want to push yourself, but not TOO hard. Play at less than 10 levels above your personal level (give or take).

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

The entire fractal can be soloed depending on your class, here is a necro doing it:

The laser room can be successfully done similarly with 2 people even if you have no way of warping around like that.

I don’t understand your point. BoogiePopVoid never said it was impossible to do the fractal. In the comment you quoted all he said was that its bad design to not have the shields reset to the beginning of the room if you wipe. Obviously if you are wiping with shields then you are having trouble with the room, why then take away the shields by having them stay where you were when you died? Your video is completely unrelated to this fairly good point he brings up.

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

why do you lose “all progress” if you fail the heat room? that’s more like if you fail the researcher room then you don’t get the damage bonus vs the boss

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

any norn can solo 0 rod heat room:

• pop become the bear
  • double dodge in
  • hold down the charge attack
  • dodge the next time you can

dont exit bear form, it has extra hp and you go especially slow in 84 cuz of the endurance instability, but you have enough hp to make it to safety.

use a condi cleanse to hit both consoles at the end.

i believe any class can solo the room without bear form, but its often harder / less reliable and requires more than just the use of your elite for the 4 min cd. you can look it up on youtube. but it may be easier to just make a norn of the class you want to use in fractals, and just use that as your fractal toon.

for south room, ive found that in general people know how to get to the 2nd button. only about 25-50% of groups will have someone who makes a beeline for the 1st button, and even fewer know that its a simple matter for the person at the 1st button to get to the 3rd buttons once the 2nd button has a person at it. if you want your fractals to go smoothly, learn to methodically get to the 1st button. here are a couple things you can do:

• pick up a shield to start, then dodge/walk to the mistlock. drop your shield there and (range) aggro golems to you and kill them so they dont pew pew you while you run to the 1st button.
  • once youve killed the 2-3 that run past the path, heal up and make sure you have 2 dodges ready before running. grab the shield.
  • the next “safe” spot is by the button itself, and you have just enough time at the highest levels to double dodge the zappy shots and then channel your shield while you run with swiftness/movement signet/trait. theres another 1-2 golems to fight by the button, so prepare mitigation or projectile hate. stability is good too.
  • the 3rd button is just around the corner. same idea. recharge endurance, run with shield. you should only need 1 or the other to make it from 1st to 3rd. just make sure someone makes it to the 2nd button before you leave the 1st. even terrible people can make it to the 2nd button, so dont worry about it.

once you can reliably make the south room run and solo the heat room, you dont need to worry about making it to the anomaly. youll get there. unless some baddie keeps hitting the ooze shield. but killing the anomaly is boring and can be highly dependent on your group not being terrible.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Ging.6485

Ging.6485

I don’t understand your point. BoogiePopVoid never said it was impossible to do the fractal. In the comment you quoted all he said was that its bad design to not have the shields reset to the beginning of the room if you wipe. Obviously if you are wiping with shields then you are having trouble with the room, why then take away the shields by having them stay where you were when you died? Your video is completely unrelated to this fairly good point he brings up.

My point was that there are a few simple tricks to beating the room that with a little practice should not have you wiping, especially when one person can solo it at the highest level.

Simply put, take the right path at the beginning. Go north. You can hit switch one through the wall. Have someone waiting by switch two, and it’s done.

Puke room you can find tutorials on YouTube how to solo it for a number of classes.

Door room is straight forward, just kill everything and hit the switch.

Slime boss is simple, break bar often, stop attacking in shield form, cc oozes.

Anomaly, equip reliable healing, equip a ranged weapon, and try to stay away from your friends. In fact less people make this boss easier. In fact if you set ground targeting snap to target on a staff ele, you can just safely spam 3 2 1 in fire for an easy kill.

Its one of the easier fractals in fact because one player can carry the group if need be.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I did not read the whole thread.

But if you are an ele and having an issue with that room just equip rebound, mist form, arcane shield and lightning flash. If you need practice just roll that fractal a few times until you can get to the different spots without an issue. Shields aren’t needed but make it easier. Practice with or without them. I do this with minimal issues on ele at higher levels.

I understand you are frustrated. But there’s plenty of groups doing this daily with pugs without issue.

Posted by: Zem.4139

Zem.4139

Thomanova lvl97 full solo 25:12

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

erm… there is one way you can do this final boss :p but its no fun no challenge if you do it this way :p
— if you keep a player where the dead will portal to and that player just wait there while the other 4 pew pew the boss up the platform. if someone die, he can relog the character (go to character screen and log back in) and he will spawn right on the spot where the afk player is but dead, and the afk player can res him up

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia