The biggest problem with Dungeons

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: DancingPenguins.9875

DancingPenguins.9875

PEOPLE. You.

Somehow it never occurred to a great many people that their hours of frustration happened because they were the weakest link. Are you having a tough time with dungeons? Does every group you run in fall apart? Perhaps the problem is ultimately, YOU.

What makes you so sure that your choice of builds helps your group succeed? Why are you certain that you were not at fault for stepping up and lead when nobody else has a clue? Do you seriously believe it’s the inherent design flaw that made the dungeon impossible to do?

It is always the game designer taking away your precious tank and healers that caused you died every other second. It is always the elitist jerk for yelling at you that made you frustrated every run. No, it’s never your problem. After all, you’ve won matches in sPvP, you’ve taken castles in WvW, and you certainly had absolutely no problem breezing through level 1 to 80 on every map except, maybe, Orr.

Yes, it is okay to go in a dungeon in your blue plus green gear so you can farm for a grandmaster’s book. No, it is not okay that you died 10 times in a row. Everybody said this dungeon is easy, and yet you are wiping. It’s everyone else’s fault. Everybody said this dungeon is impossible, there is an inherent design flaw, the developers better fix it. Heaven forbid that I open up my hero screen and take a closer look at myself.

Of course it can’t be me. Every single group I was in failed because PuGs are always bad. Everybody in my guild says so. They are all the best players I’ve ever played with, because I am a good player, I know who is good. kitten it that nobody is interested in a dungeon. Now I have to PuG again, another failure waiting to happen. Because the dungeons have failed. They are failed designed made by failed people and you can only exploit to complete them.

Look at all these cheaters with their dungeon gear, they will be banned soon for all their exploiting. Look at all these elitist jerks talking about how easy the dungeons are. One day they’ll be reported and banned, too. On that day, the developers will finally fix the dungeons and I can finally have some fun. They better give me all the gears after that one run, I’ve earned it after so much frustration. kitten it all!

Now, what is this “H” key you are talking about?

Posted by: Razzy.2741

Razzy.2741

Well, he has a point.

People who go into dungeons for their first time, usually have random pieces of armor (low quality ones too), bad set of trinkets, bad weapons and absolutely no clue about synergy between their skills and traits, not only for their own benefit, but for the entire party.

BEER Guild - Dungeon Riders

Posted by: Infuser.9685

Infuser.9685

Well, he has a point.

People who go into dungeons for their first time, usually have random pieces of armor (low quality ones too), bad set of trinkets, bad weapons and absolutely no clue about synergy between their skills and traits, not only for their own benefit, but for the entire party.

Its not what he said, its how he said it. Besides i dont see why are items an issue, Anet and many other fun boys keep saying GW2 is about skill not items.

U L L
80 lvl Norn Ranger
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Razzy.2741

Razzy.2741

I think it depends on “skill” definition.

In my opinion, skillful player pays attention to everything – envionment and game mechanics, as well as their own stats that will allow them to be more efficient at this, what they like doing the most. They also pay attention to the party, and do their best to fill the holes in other professions which they can cover with their own.

Gear and stats is one of the fundaments of each RPG game. You simply can’t take it away from players.

Exotic items can be found on TP or crafted at quite reasonable prices. People need to find their ways to get some ingame gold (it’s not hard, no need to buy gems for your €), and think about proper equipment too.

BEER Guild - Dungeon Riders

Posted by: Recently.1043

Recently.1043

Well, he has a point.

Its not what he said, its how he said it. Besides i dont see why are items an issue, Anet and many other fun boys keep saying GW2 is about skill not items.

Are we playing the same game? Yes items matter in PvE, the difference between someone wearing blues and greens, and someone in all exotics is pretty substantial. And the skill vs items is about PvP……… Have you played sPvP before? Did you play gw 1 before? Your basically taking an idea/statement out of context and trying to apply it to something else. Go roll a lvl 1 char, and play sPvP. There is no gear imbalance, you have access to everything that everyone else has access to. THATS what they mean about skill over items.

PvE is a whole different story. You don’t get access to all the items for free, so gear imbalance exists.

Call me when this game gets fixed…. if it ever does….

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Are we playing the same game? Yes items matter in PvE, the difference between someone wearing blues and greens, and someone in all exotics is pretty substantial. And the skill vs items is about PvP……… Have you played sPvP before? Did you play gw 1 before? Your basically taking an idea/statement out of context and trying to apply it to something else. Go roll a lvl 1 char, and play sPvP. There is no gear imbalance, you have access to everything that everyone else has access to. THATS what they mean about skill over items.

PvE is a whole different story. You don’t get access to all the items for free, so gear imbalance exists.

This isn’t true. Sure better gear gives you an advantage but it’s not paramount. Most of my gear is green or blues and some not even lvl 80. My accesories/jewelery is even more dire. One of them is level 54! Granted most of my weapons are lvl 80 exotics but that’s it.

That said you’d think I’d be terrible in dungeons according to you stating that good gear is so incredibly important. Then how come I’ve done ALL dungeons on ALL paths upto Arah (Which we started working on now) without wiping a billion times, without being a ‘dead weight’ to my party. Hell half the time I’m the one left standing and contribute perfectly fine to my party and the fight.

This is the reason why Anet hasn’t put in an option to check other peoples gear and I certainly hope they never will because people will value gear quality over player skill because people have it ingrained in them that gear is what makes the person good which is silly.

Sure if someone is lvl 80 wearing lvl 10 whites that’s another story but you don’t need to be full exotic to be good. I’ve seen some fully exotic geared players who do pretty terrible in dungeons.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Posted by: HellHound.5480

HellHound.5480

If you want to know, I ran most EM dungeons with level 70-75 Blues and greens. I still have 1 item, my shoulders that are still level 73 blue (the rest I have filled out with dungeon exotics)

But before I filled out my gear with dungeon exotics, I ran those dungeons with blues and greens and I did fine after learning the fights (which took only 1-2 runs)

The only difference now with my exotics is that I hit and survive MAYBE slightly better. Example: AC EM Kholer used to 1-shot me, now when I get pulled, he still 1 shots me, but takes 2 hits instead 1 from his spin attack, and that first spin hit does 90% of my HP. As well, I MAYBE do 3-5% more DPS.

Those are not huge differences at all. If this were WoW, going from dungeon blues to current raid purples would have made a MAJOR difference. Here, they dont really do much at all.

Heres a side story: I remember the day when I first did AC EM and ran into Kholer. I remember us wiping over and over again constantly and thinking that this boss was a little too hard.

Fast forward a month later today, and now, even with pugs, this boss is a huge joke. Hell, all of AC EM now I can do without thinking cause I have learned the tactics, what skills to bring, and how to dodge / move when needed. I can now take my glass cannon greatsword build and breeze through all paths because the tactics of this dungeon are now second nature to me.

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

To be fair, HellHound, I think it’s at least partly gear and partly builds. I’ve felt a huge difference in survivability between different build types in dungeons. That and balancing the stats on your gear with the stats that you lack from your build is important.

Fay.2735

To be fair, HellHound, I think it’s at least partly gear and partly builds. I’ve felt a huge difference in survivability between different build types in dungeons. That and balancing the stats on your gear with the stats that you lack from your build is important.

It’s certainly important to know your class well and use appropriate stats and trait builds but lvl and quality of gear isn’t as important.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Posted by: Disconnected.9253

Disconnected.9253

i don’t have a single exotic, but I’ve done several EM so far (even CM when I was 50)

group makeup/skill/synergy are HUGE in this game.

Posted by: Ender.3508

Ender.3508

Not what he said, it’s how he said it.

And I LOVE how he said it. I got a big ole grin on my face while reading that because it perfectly summarizes what I want to yell into the faces of the whiners, difficulty complainers, and people raging about aggro and the dynamic role system.

+1

Kretna 80 Elementalist
ex – The Midnight Syndicate [Dark]
Maguuma

Posted by: WBL.6715

WBL.6715

I have to agree with the OP. Too many crybabies, it’s giving me a bad taste about the GW2 community.

Posted by: Xhaine.4120

Xhaine.4120

Well said.

- Xhaine out

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

Very true OP. This is exactly why when I only have 3 other guildies(which happens often) on we pug and i bring the first person that replies to my LFM. With 4 of us on vent and very experienced I know that we can just 4 man it if worse comes to worse. So we just take whoever, in hopes that if they don’t really know the dungeon they will at least learn from us and there will be a better pool of pugs to take later on.

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

(edited by rickets.1386)

Posted by: Rhinala.1739

Rhinala.1739

Part of your content might be correct, the way you wrote it is insulting and disgusting.
I hate dungeons not because thy are too difficult, but because in MY OPINION thy are boring, the dungeon mechanics are dependent on the bloated HP and damage output rather then good skills, traps, patrols, ambushes and so on. some of the “whiners” state that, thy don’t like it some don’t care about the difficulty, some ask for difficulty that will make the dungeons a lot more challenging (go play GW1 Shards of Orr, Vloxen Excavations and Slavers’ Exile in hard mode, but you don’t need to read the threads you already know. but this is a different story.
If you want to enlight people with your knowledge post a thread that will teach them their error, explain the skill/trait synergy, dynamic trait changes, known boss mechanics. but no you decided to tarnish and look down at those who don’t know/don’t understand or utterly frustrated… good job m8.

/rent over

Xhaine.4120

I wasn’t insulted by it, if you are insulted by it…

I’ll leave it there. Don’t want to spark more anger.

- Xhaine

Fay.2735

Part of your content might be correct, the way you wrote it is insulting and disgusting.
I hate dungeons not because thy are too difficult, but because in MY OPINION thy are boring, the dungeon mechanics are dependent on the bloated HP and damage output rather then good skills, traps, patrols, ambushes and so on. some of the “whiners” state that, thy don’t like it some don’t care about the difficulty, some ask for difficulty that will make the dungeons a lot more challenging (go play GW1 Shards of Orr, Vloxen Excavations and Slavers’ Exile in hard mode, but you don’t need to read the threads you already know. but this is a different story.
If you want to enlight people with your knowledge post a thread that will teach them their error, explain the skill/trait synergy, dynamic trait changes, known boss mechanics. but no you decided to tarnish and look down at those who don’t know/don’t understand or utterly frustrated… good job m8.

/rent over

I think the OP is just frustrated with all the people complaining about the content being too difficult when it’s only difficult because people don’t know how to play their professions or work in a team or have the patience to learn the tactics or only run PuG’s and expect it to work. It’s this that makes them think dungeons are difficult or boring because they don’t know how to do them.

As for dungeons being boring, apart from some boss fights the majority are interesting and engaging and fun to figure out. I like that the mobs in between bosses are difficult as well and not just the irrelevant trash to get through to get to the good parts. Instead the entire dungeons are challenging and fun. In my opinion anyway.

Unless you are one of those people who farms dungeons doing the same content one after the other then yea it’ll be boring but that then is kind of your own fault for making it into a grind. Mix it up and do other dungeons and other content in between.

That said I do agree that some fights are really boring and need some adjusting like CoF path 3 end boss and lava room in CoE are the worst I can think of. Majority though have something interesting and different about them. Also if you find dungeons boring there’s other content for you to do, maybe dungeons are just not your thing.

Edit: Also if you feel like you aren’t being challenged enough try playing a more difficult profession and set challenges for yourself.

(edited by Fay.2735)

Posted by: Ender.3508

Ender.3508

I think this post in some ways applies to all of us, even the OP. I know that usually I do a good job of swapping up my utilities, weapons, utilizing combo fields and communication, calling targets, and reading enemy telegraphs, but I know that there are times where either through inexperience, or absent-mindedness I continue to use skills or weapons or tactics that simply aren’t as effective as they could be.

So take the post with a grain of salt. Experiment and learn as much as you can.

Kretna 80 Elementalist
ex – The Midnight Syndicate [Dark]
Maguuma

Xhaine.4120

I think this post in some ways applies to all of us, even the OP. I know that usually I do a good job of swapping up my utilities, weapons, utilizing combo fields and communication, calling targets, and reading enemy telegraphs, but I know that there are times where either through inexperience, or absent-mindedness I continue to use skills or weapons or tactics that simply aren’t as effective as they could be.

So take the post with a grain of salt. Experiment and learn as much as you can.

Well said. This topic is full of good posts. Reminds me of this quote

“The moment one gets into the ‘expert’ state of mind a great number of things become impossible” – Henry Ford

There is always room to learn more

- Xhaine

Posted by: miya.5160

miya.5160

Gear does make a pretty big difference. The more gear you have, the more mistakes you can make. The less gear you have, the more you have to know a dungeon and the less forgiving it is to you.

When I was first doing dungeons, I had to be at my 100%. Now that I’m in exotics, I can phone it in, do more damage than others, and not die as often (and yes, I can tell damage by looking at the rate at which health bars go down).

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

PEOPLE. You.

Somehow it never occurred to a great many people that their hours of frustration happened because they were the weakest link. Are you having a tough time with dungeons? Does every group you run in fall apart? Perhaps the problem is ultimately, YOU.

What makes you so sure that your choice of builds helps your group succeed? Why are you certain that you were not at fault for stepping up and lead when nobody else has a clue? Do you seriously believe it’s the inherent design flaw that made the dungeon impossible to do?

It is always the game designer taking away your precious tank and healers that caused you died every other second. It is always the elitist jerk for yelling at you that made you frustrated every run. No, it’s never your problem. After all, you’ve won matches in sPvP, you’ve taken castles in WvW, and you certainly had absolutely no problem breezing through level 1 to 80 on every map except, maybe, Orr.

Yes, it is okay to go in a dungeon in your blue plus green gear so you can farm for a grandmaster’s book. No, it is not okay that you died 10 times in a row. Everybody said this dungeon is easy, and yet you are wiping. It’s everyone else’s fault. Everybody said this dungeon is impossible, there is an inherent design flaw, the developers better fix it. Heaven forbid that I open up my hero screen and take a closer look at myself.

Of course it can’t be me. Every single group I was in failed because PuGs are always bad. Everybody in my guild says so. They are all the best players I’ve ever played with, because I am a good player, I know who is good. kitten it that nobody is interested in a dungeon. Now I have to PuG again, another failure waiting to happen. Because the dungeons have failed. They are failed designed made by failed people and you can only exploit to complete them.

Look at all these cheaters with their dungeon gear, they will be banned soon for all their exploiting. Look at all these elitist jerks talking about how easy the dungeons are. One day they’ll be reported and banned, too. On that day, the developers will finally fix the dungeons and I can finally have some fun. They better give me all the gears after that one run, I’ve earned it after so much frustration. kitten it all!

Now, what is this “H” key you are talking about?

Kudos for this slightly sarcastic yet informative and funny narrative
I smell flames and ash raining down on you though

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

lol Nice OP. I personally find that group strategy, traits, and skill setup matter more than gear, not that gear is irrelevant. Wearing that stronger armor won’t make you invincible or wielding that super greatsword won’t make you 1 shot the boss. I felt more impact from changing strategy than upgrading gear when doing dungeons, but having better gear can mean you need X less hits to kill a guy or can withstand X more hits from mob Y.

I’m definitely getting tired of the “this dungeon is impossible!!!!! <insert random caps spam for emphasis/attention here>” posts to the point where I don’t even bother to defend the argument anymore. Kudos to the frustrated players that actually kindly ASK for advice or attempt to give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism to the devs rather than calling the dungeon stupid, threatening to leave the game, or say that experienced dungeon runners are full of themselves.

Although, I don’t believe the dungeons to be perfect, they are generally not too difficult as many have exaggerated. I’ve had my fair share of wiping for 3 hours, getting nowhere and am now running some of these dungeons in 30 mins or less after some trial and error with my usual dungeon group. If you really want the items from the dungeon vendors, then you should really dedicate yourself to working for it. Failing dungeons should be an incentive to try some new strategies or take in what you learned about the dungeon mechanics. If you really want a consistent dungeon group, start adding cooperative players to your friends list when you PuG and learn together. You could also do some research to find coordinated guilds that dedicate their time with dungeons. YOU need to make the effort to get what YOU want out of this.