The "mighty" Razen the Raider

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

“Is that all you got, Baelfire?”

Because it really wouldn’t take more than a single flame-legion warrior to take out Razen the Raider, mighty opponent of the Flame Legion.

Wait, scrap that. All it takes is a single “flame” to take out Razen.

That’s right, a single burn is enough to kill off Razen the Raider. Among all the useless NPCs populating Tyria, he stands out as one of the most useless, especially because his ironic susceptibility to fire.

In more pragmatic terms, it’s really annoying doing the CoF event-chain when you have to revive Razen after EVERY SINGLE fight because he is so utterly useless and dies almost instantly.

But this is also something of a more general problem. Given how prominent friendly NPCs are in Tyria as they drive events etc. it’s frustrating seeing just how useless they are. Most mobs can make short work of just about every NPC out there. A single Orrian can probably take on multiple at once. They deal pitiful damage and have no means to stay alive.

This annoyance is exasperated by the fact that we constantly have to revive them in order to progress whatever dungeon or event we might be doing.

I get that they shouldn’t be doing all the work. But if your game is going to rely so heavily on NPCs for narration and mechanic, please make them slightly less useless.

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

I heartily agree with this post.

NPCs are a cancer on the game. They pull mobs to you. They screw up your tactics. They blabber stupid and annoying drivel. They also don’t do any damage. Many a time a run has ended prematurely because some dumb kittening NPC bugged out, preventing progress.

Much like PUGs, NPCs provide negative contribution to a dungeon run. Unfortunately, unlike PUGs, NPCs cannot be kicked. They cannot be taught how not to be worse than useless. They cannot be told to kitten off and let us complete the dungeon.

Please remove dungeon NPCs, or at least make them completely inert (immune to aggro and do not engage in combat), at least until defend events.

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

At least with dungeon NPCs they could give players the dialogue options.

“Wait here”

and

“Follow me”

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

“Wait here”

and

“Follow me”

• shakes head * havent you played any of the oddworld games?! Your meant to say " hello" first THEN you can ask them to follow! :p

Posted by: skyhawk.5149

skyhawk.5149

Tbh i did AC p1 once with a Pug group i soloed down the last boss to about 1% then got killed by the graveling knockdown =\. Our group was pretty depressed then boom a chest appears bottom right corner and i see hodgins killing the king. So yeh they can be useful in some cases

But in general i agree with having options to either stop the NPC somewhere and then have them follow u.

Retired Oceanic Commander of Eredon Terrace

Posted by: Dakota.4591

Dakota.4591

Of course, Arah storymode has the opposite problem.

One part of the dungeon has Zhaitan bombing the airship with undead and AEs, and you have to keep Zojja alive while she charges a laser. Problem is that the undead are so weak and so far between, and there are so many NPCs standing around, that literally no input or interaction is required.

We actually tested this the last time I ran an alt through. Everyone ran to the side of the ship, away from the action when that phase of the fight started. Not only did Zojja survive, she didn’t even get hit once. The NPCs did all the work.

So while I can understand wanting to make plotline essential NPCs able to contribute a bit more, care must be taken to make sure that they don’t swing to the other side of the spectrum.

Posted by: Tyrannus Blade.3408

Tyrannus Blade.3408

“Wait here”

and

“Follow me”

• shakes head * haven’t you played any of the oddworld games?! Your meant to say " hello" first THEN you can ask them to follow! :p

Nonononono. You’re meant to say “ALL o’ yah!” Before it dawns on you.. there’s a fart button! Next you play with said fart button for much too long before finally telling them to follow you.

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

“Wait here”

and

“Follow me”

• shakes head * haven’t you played any of the oddworld games?! Your meant to say " hello" first THEN you can ask them to follow! :p

Nonononono. You’re meant to say “ALL o’ yah!” Before it dawns on you.. there’s a fart button! Next you play with said fart button for much too long before finally telling them to follow you.

Fart button? time to find some ROMz

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

I always need Grast for AC p3. My guild group would abandon the path without him

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids