The point of limiting P. Fractal Relics?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Biscuithammer.8615

Biscuithammer.8615

So I finally decided to get around to writing this. Last week I tried running a high-level fractal run and at the end of the run it turns out that I didn’t earn a single pristine fractal relic despite the run being level 20. When I inquired as to why this was I was told that my personal level wasn’t high enough. What’s the point in limiting the ability to obtain fractal relics? It doesn’t make sense to me.

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

It makes perfect sense. It’s called game progression. You are not at that level therefore you don’t get the loot from that level.

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

It makes perfect sense. It’s called game progression. You are not at that level therefore you don’t get the loot from that level.

But you are actually doing that level…..

OP its to make it so you keep running the content longer. I detest blocked game progression. If im skillful enough to do it then i should get the reward.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

DeathPanel.8362

OP its to make it so you keep running the content longer. I detest blocked game progression. If im skillful enough to do it then i should get the reward.

Yeah but your personal level isn’t progressed to that point. Game progression in this case is your personal level.

Being able to do that level even if it’s higher just means you get an additional opportunity to level up your progression. It’s a change ANET made in order to encourage more teams doing fractals because previously everyone had to be the same fractal level or higher to do a fractal.

No one is blocking your game progression. Your statement is inaccurate.

Blocking means you are stopped. You are not stopped from progressing through the fractals levels in this case and attaining loot at the appropriate time.

(edited by DeathPanel.8362)

Biscuithammer.8615

Yeah but your personal level isn’t progressed to that point. Game progression in this case is your personal level.

Being able to do that level even if it’s higher just means you get an additional opportunity to level up your progression. It’s a change ANET made in order to encourage more teams doing fractals because previously everyone had to be the same fractal level or higher to do a fractal.

Blocking means you are stopped. You are not stopped from progressing through the fractals levels in this case and attaining loot at the appropriate time.

The problem I have with this argument is that you become a burden to other people in your guild if you aren’t already at the right level and it’s a pretty unreasonable grind to have to gain the levels NECESSARY TO GRIND. I can’t be alone in thinking that’s totally insane, right? Heck, and for all I know that STILL won’t solve the problem. If you’re level 12 and you join a level 20 game will you gain pristine fractal relics?

Posted by: abelooi.9156

abelooi.9156

It makes sense, otherwise it will be pointless to gain level in fractals. Might as well suggest Anet to scrap the whole levelling thingy. Now everyone (including noobs) can challenge any level from 1-50 and get the rewards. So yeah, let’s not even spend more time in the game anymore, because you know, that’s what MMOs are – they need to find ways to keep you in game longer.

On another note, why bother with character levels? Now everyone has a generic “infinity” level and when you go to a map you are levelled to that map’s level (much like it is now). Why all the equipments requirement? Let’s scrap them!

Level infinity means a noob who just joined a game can straight away use lvl 80 exotics or ascended items and be done with it! Yay!

DeathPanel.8362

The problem I have with this argument is that you become a burden to other people in your guild if you aren’t already at the right level and it’s a pretty unreasonable grind to have to gain the levels NECESSARY TO GRIND. I can’t be alone in thinking that’s totally insane, right? Heck, and for all I know that STILL won’t solve the problem. If you’re level 12 and you join a level 20 game will you gain pristine fractal relics?

Wrong. The only thing unreasonable is your expectation that you should be allowed to skip progression because you feel like it while others including those in your guild have had to spend time to go through it the normal way.

(edited by DeathPanel.8362)

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

Arenanet already kitten blocks you with Agony on the Maw so i detest not letting people gain rewards on the level they are doing regardless of personal level.
They still gain levels its just that they cant start up a super high level on theif own. Imagine that you had to do story mode on every alt to gain rewards from explorable.

I dont know about you guys but i play to have fun. Not to play for a long time to get to the fun parts, basically what ANET said there were striving for and killed it with fractals, the fractals themselves are fun but the implementation is still severely lacking.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

Biscuithammer.8615

Wrong. The only thing unreasonable is your expectation that you should be allowed to skip progression because you feel like it while others including those in your guild have had to spend time to go through it the normal way.

What progression would I be skipping? Is someone skipping progression by being invited by a guild mate to a dungeon they haven’t unlocked yet?

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

Play for like a week or two and when you have both your rings you’ll have more PFR’s you know what to do with.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

“What if your content-design motivations aren’t driven by the need to create mechanics that keep people playing as long as possible? When looking at content design for Guild Wars 2, we’ve tried to ask the question: What if the development of the game was based on…wait for it…fun?

If our model was subscription based, we might be spending all this time racing to add as much filler content as possible to keep players chasing the carrot."

- Colin Johanson

http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

This quote (and article) needs to be brought up as often as possible. The design direction ArenaNet chose to go in when they introduced ascended gear was the exact opposite of what this article claimed the company defined success as. In a sense, they decided they failed to make the game fun so instead they went with the calendar gated grind.

ArenaNet wants you to play for as long as possible. They aren’t interested in prioritising rewarding content you can play at your own pace or skill level and content rewards which are distributed accordingly, they want to create artificial time sinks to prevent you from accessing rewards for content unless a period of time passes in the real world. Daily laurels, weekly caps on guild merits, daily relics, time sinks to unlock guild missions and build up merits, repeat fractal levels on every character (and have to level up the dungeon before you can access the rewards).

They limit P Relics because they want to waste your time. If you spend time levelling up FotM to level 10 before you earn relics, all that time spent is content they don’t have to create to keep you playing.

From Colin’s comments in the “Is it Fun?” blog it’s clear ArenaNet understands that this kind of game design doesn’t prioritise the player and his or her experience in game, it doesn’t prioritise the player’s ability to make decisions and complete content at their own pace and choose when they are happy to walk away from the game. The current ArenaNet design objective is to create as much calendar gated content as possible to create a hard limit on how quickly players can earn the carrots they keep adding to the game, solely to get players to play for as long as possible, just like Colin criticised subscription MMOs for doing. Before launch they were on their high horse about creating a new kind of MMO, post ascended debacle they are doing the same things everyone else was doing.

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

my warri is lvl 21, my ele 5. wanted to do an easy lvl 10 run with my ele, was no problem, but of course I got nothing, thx to personal level.

it’s a stupid way to stop people using alts. I agree personal level should be in the game, but personal as in account wide.
for alts it would make sense that you’d have to unlock every 10 levels. if your main has 30 for example, you could get any alt up to the same level by playing fractals 10, 20 and 30.
still blocking progression to make sure you’re ready for the level you’re playing at, but not mindnumbing repetition of the same boring stuff you already did.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

An even more annoying thing is that fractal progression isn’t account wide.

Posted by: evolverzilla.2359

evolverzilla.2359

And how they can measure if it´s all playerskill or a group just dragging you by the hand all the fractals? I can do even an lv 50 frac using my toon lv11 with no AR. My teammates just have to keep ressing me every step and play as 4 members team.

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

point 1: top right corner there are two stats: fractal level, reward level. if you run fractal 500 but you reward level is 1 yuo will only get the reward you should ave got at level 1.
point 2: if your level is 10-18, and you’ve got the daily chest, then run level 20+ you will not get another prestine because your reward level is still in the bracket 10-19.

point 3: as stated the open level joining was done to help group finding, but it very unlikely that you’ll find a group that will drag you along say level 40, when you’re level 1 with no AR. they’ll most likely do an AR check prior to entering the fractal, or boot you when they realise your bringing nothing to fights.

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

I don’t like that we can’t see other players personal lvl. Getting ppl who should not be at lvl 24+ happens way too often and you spend more time keeping them up.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

^ Agree with this. I’m glad there is not more encouragement for people to attempt fractals they are not ready/geared for. I’ve been in way too many PUGs level 20+ where people were obviously not prepared for it AR wise or even skill wise.

You now have the OPTION of playing with people at higher levels then you currently are. This just opened up the available parties to you because people complained about not being able to find parties. You will still get your level progression. You just don’t get the added benefit of additional rewards.

Remember, this was just a feature put in to help with lower level people trying to find parties. This was not put into place so people could ‘skip’ progression levels.

Posted by: Portal Master.9146

Portal Master.9146

It does make sense to me and I agree with the couple of posters above that you shouldn’t encourage people to attempt higher fractals they aren’t ready/geared for.

I like the way it was changed.

You can still do the higher fractals and you will progress your personal level one level at a time. Do lvl 20 / 30 everyday and your personal level will be at those levels in a week or so. Many of us have leveled alts and then had to level those new characters in the fractals again. It doesn’t take that long.

The only thing I could see is that the levels be account bound like RedStar above said. I would be OK seeing that change.

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

It makes sense, otherwise it will be pointless to gain level in fractals. Might as well suggest Anet to scrap the whole levelling thingy. Now everyone (including noobs) can challenge any level from 1-50 and get the rewards. So yeah, let’s not even spend more time in the game anymore, because you know, that’s what MMOs are – they need to find ways to keep you in game longer.

On another note, why bother with character levels? Now everyone has a generic “infinity” level and when you go to a map you are levelled to that map’s level (much like it is now). Why all the equipments requirement? Let’s scrap them!

Level infinity means a noob who just joined a game can straight away use lvl 80 exotics or ascended items and be done with it! Yay!

Lol, exactly. Just start us off fully geared, max level, put us in a dungeon with pros that already know it by heart and pull us through. At the end we get a legendary weapon and a big gold star saying “You’ve mastered GW2!”.

Really, it’s not that bad, I find it fun. I don’t even run fractals once everyday and I have 2 characters at scale 30. Just invest a little time and you’ll have more rings, PFR’s and shards than you know what to do with. You might even get a fractal weapon, meet some cool people and have some fun along the way.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Actually lower levels should get better loot if you are in a high fractal because your working twice as hard facing way more damage than you should be facing and getting zero rewards for it…

The whole Fotm experience is an absolute nightmare as are most dungeons in this game.