The problem with the meta

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Rikimaru.7890

Rikimaru.7890

I hate it but there is no escaping it. HoT is not really going to change anything, I mean more professions may become viable but as zerkers only so what difference does it make? However something occured to me the last time I did CM. I played an Elementalist and as you probably guessed my team used the Thief’s invisibility to skip lots of mobs. My thoughts on that was “this is so cheap” but then I’m thinking I’m here for the end reward anyway and I want to get it as fast as possible myself.
So yeah I guess skipping is the right idea as why would I want to waste time fighting mobs if there is no additional reward for it?
And then it hit me that’s exactly what dungeon’s are missing.
What I mean by that is adding additional rewards for not being cheap.
How would that work? The additional rewards would only apply to the daily chest and they would be awarded in a similar way to how Dry Top meta event works.
There would be a performance bar the team can fill by performing normal and additional tasks. There would be a certain number of tiers, for reaching a certain tier the daily chest will give a double reward, an even higher would grant triple and reaching the max tier a quadruple reward.
But there would also be penalty’s for things like dying.
So how would that work as a point system:
- killing normal mobs would be worth 1 point each
- veterans would be 5 points
- elites 10
- champions 30
- legendary 50
- epic 100
While penalty’s would work like this:
- each player getting downed is -10 points
- each player death -100
- a full wipe -1000
So now as an example I’ll use AC:
Remember all those champion gravelings, cave trolls and the graveling mound no one ever destroys at the start? All these things could be used to get additional rewards at the end. Also all the boss fights that cannot be avoided could give additional points for things like time. Like when you fight the Spider Queen there will be a timer added to this event and if she is killed before it runs out she will award double points.

Fractals however could get a slightly different mechanic. There would only be like 2 tiers to reach in each fractal and the daily reward would depend on the average performance in each fractal. So if the party manages to reach tier 2 in all 4 fractals the reward will not only be quadruple but also the possible bonus will no longer be just “possible” but guaranteed and there would be an option to select it i. e. get to choose which ring, fractal skin, ascended weapon/armour chest you want.
The tiers in fractals would work like this T0 would be normal, T1 good and T2 excellent. 2 T1 performances would count as 1 T2, so if the team does 2 fractals with a T2 and the other 2 with T1 the daily reward would count it as 3 T2 performances.
And the system would be rounded down so if the team does 3 T1 and a T0 then the final score would count as 1 T2.
A 3 T2 performance would make the the bonus also guaranteed but it would be random unlike with 4 T2. Of course the reward would also depend on the level of the fractal so at scale 1-10 there would only be additional relics and gold even with a 4 T2 performance.

So what does this have to do with the meta? Well the meta is really all about killing as fast and as little as possible i.e. minimum survival but max damage and skipping with invisibility.
But with this system survival will be more important, even more so as skipping will no longer be the best idea.
Yeah you can still do the usual but there will be more to gain for not being cheap.
And let’s be honest most of the players that do meta only have no skill at all but they get a free ride for having the right gear and class. Mostly no one cares if they die or not
but if dying becomes a problem the free ride will be over and berserker only will no longer be the best choice. Yeah there will be those that will be able to pull it off with the current meta but only those that have skill aside from the right gear and class.

Ok so probably most of the comments will be negative, so yeah bring on the hate if you really have to, I’m prepared for it.

Posted by: Drogoning.1285

Drogoning.1285

I do think that the problem with dungeons/ fractals is the rewards. If the rewards were better for dungeons i really wouldnt mind them taking longer and everyone using different builds not just beserker. Its just if ur stuck in a bad pug for an hour like in AC or smthing and u get your 1 gold its not worth it as it is now.

A better reward system would be awesome, but maybe raids are the answer to this?

Posted by: Gunsnroll.2657

Gunsnroll.2657

And let’s be honest most of the players that do meta only have no skill at all but they get a free ride for having the right gear and class.

Don’t mix up pugs with players that “do the meta”, a large amount of them are nothing like the exp meta they claim they are and want to play with.

Adding this reward system won’t change anything about the fact that no defensive stats is needed and that it’s faster to just run full zerk and learn how to play.

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

And let’s be honest most of the players that do meta only have no skill at all but they get a free ride for having the right gear and class.

Don’t mix up pugs with players that “do the meta”, a large amount of them are nothing like the exp meta they claim they are and want to play with.

Adding this reward system won’t change anything about the fact that no defensive stats is needed and that it’s faster to just run full zerk and learn how to play.

Learn how to play like them or learn how to play by yourself? That’s not the same thing and often cause hatred in dungeons groups, that happens to me at least once per day where I get blamed for a little mistake, I’ll probably find a more active guild and do dungeons with it, because this part of the community is garbage in my oppinion and I hope it won’t be the same for Raids…

Gunsnroll.2657

By learn how to play, I meant boss mechanics, of course you can just stack and kill it, but knowing when to dodge, what skills to use, what trait to swap, that is what makes the difference between someone who claim being meta zerk and someone who play with no defense stats because it’s the fastest way to clear things.
The part of the community that is garbage, is the one thinking they are meta zerk and have no skill or brain.
Experienced people who play with proper gear and actually try to do their best and not just sack kill and move without knowing why won’t blame you for a little mistake, won’t mind to explain to you if you ask, as long as you don’t join saying you’re pro.

If you don’t like this playstyle, don’t join those teams, they are teams that don’t want those “optimals” runs.

I don’t see pugging in raids a good thing, it will be a total mess.

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

By learn how to play, I meant boss mechanics, of course you can just stack and kill it, but knowing when to dodge, what skills to use, what trait to swap, that is what makes the difference between someone who claim being meta zerk and someone who play with no defense stats because it’s the fastest way to clear things.
The part of the community that is garbage, is the one thinking they are meta zerk and have no skill or brain.
Experienced people who play with proper gear and actually try to do their best and not just sack kill and move without knowing why won’t blame you for a little mistake, won’t mind to explain to you if you ask, as long as you don’t join saying you’re pro.

If you don’t like this playstyle, don’t join those teams, they are teams that don’t want those “optimals” runs.

I don’t see pugging in raids a good thing, it will be a total mess.

Raids will never be like FFXIV where you need to know exactly what the boss is doing and master your class.

Gunsnroll.2657

You don’t need that in dungeon or fractal either, but players can learn it to play better and clear dungeons faster, or just stay wanabe zerkers.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

You’re a prophet. 100% agree.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: stambogalizi.8356

stambogalizi.8356

Literally nothing will change other than pugs maybe killing some mobs cuz they want extra points.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

It could be a nice idea but Anet officially abandoned dungeon so it won’t happen. This won’t push people to kill the first burrow at AC because the graveling there respawn at infinity. Those graveling wouldn’t be part of the your system or people could farm them for higher reward.

As for Fractal, it’s not like most players skip everything there. There is some skip, true. But most of those are designed to be skip like outside the city in the Ascalon fractal or during the snowblind fractal.

This would still be nice for the down/death penalty. But I rather that they limit the effectiveness of the rally system in higher fractal and raid so that people can’t just die and rally on stuff they kill fast enough. Right now we just ignore down people because they gonna rally and your system wouldn’t change that. People will be kitten off at people that down, but will probably won’t rez them unless there is nothing to rally on.

If they limit the rally system in the harder content, then rezzing would play a bigger part.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

What a new and innovative thread(#hyperboleftw) this is sure to progress in a very positive way! am so anxious!

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

/shrug

B+ for effort, though this won’t change much of anything. Seasoned players will still be clearing instances faster than the average group, so the extra time spent killing may not necessary be worthwhile based on your proposed point system.

Defensive gear still won’t be used as proactive defense (dodge, blinds, blinds) will still mitigate the grand majority of the damage. Even in full ‘tank’ gear the amount of damage lost will prolong the fight which adds more time to make mistakes. Berserker gear and strategies are so favored for their speed, but at the same time if a team can’t quickly roast what they’re fighting odds are the team itself will end up having a miserable time against the mob (if not wiping altogether).

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

While penalty’s would work like this:
- each player getting downed is -10 points
- each player death -100
- a full wipe -1000

Only thing this will do is create more hostility between players in pug runs that you so desire to get rid of. Do you really want to be penalized for someone else’s mistakes? People will be much more selective with their LFG’s and even a little sign of subpar play will result in a kick. Completely against the original idea of GW2.

Why do people want to fight the meta so hard? There will ALWAYS be a single best strategy. No matter whether it be 5 DPS players, 5 healers, 5 tanks or a mixture of them. If you really want to play well and contribute to your group’s success, you will adopt the optimal strategy. In this game, at it’s current state, it happens to be a group of 5 DPS players using active defenses to sustain themselves. What is so wrong about it? Why do people see problems where they aren’t? If Anet decides to completely rework their game to create a whole new meta, people will still have the problem of not being adaptive or smart enough to play efficiently. And forums will be full of rants how healers/tanks/[insert random playstyle here] are so OP and how the game needs a complete rework again so that meta changes again.
Problem is not with the game. It’s just that people prevent themselves from playing well because they – for some reason – dislike the meta. Because of that, you’ll never fix the issue by changing the game’s mechanics, you’ll fix it by having people think rationally. I know, I know… too much to ask.

Gunsnroll.2657

If you really want to play well and contribute to your group’s success, you will adopt the optimal strategy.
[…]
If Anet decides to completely rework their game to create a whole new meta, people will still have the problem of not being adaptive or smart enough to play efficiently.

This

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

I would prefer a NPC at the entrance where you choose either to do it fast or to clean all cleanable threat in a dungeon. Both challenge come with rating (gold to bronze) and have different rewards. People would then choose their dungeon mode in the lfg.

Now the gold times should be close to world record to make it challenging but it also means every time there is a balance pass, they should re evaluate it…

But nothing will be made with dungeons for a long time so better focus on the new content.