Thief Tips

Thief Tips

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

So my thief is approaching lvl 80 and I’m okay at the class. I was wondering what tips you guys have? also for lupi do I need an energy sigil? Thief seems to have a ton of evades and I don’t want to waste gold.

The Sickest Guild NA

Thief Tips

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

You will never need energy sigils for thief.

Thief Tips

Embrace The Bold.7619

You will never need energy sigils for thief.

Thank god I’m so poor trying to make incinerator, need all the money I can save.

The Sickest Guild NA

Thief Tips

Posted by: RagNoRawk.3625

RagNoRawk.3625

#1 Thief tip for dungeons and fractals: Blinds are OP.

Thief Tips

Embrace The Bold.7619

1. Thief tip for dungeons and fractals: Blinds are OP.

yeah I know I soloed a vet skill point 6 lvls above me using dagger/pistol XD

The Sickest Guild NA

Thief Tips

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

this is pretty much the meta-dungeon thief build. it’s all about the dps for a thief in a dungeon. good lucks.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Thief_-_D/D_S/P_Shortbow

Thief Tips

Posted by: aliono nighteye.3126

aliono nighteye.3126

Practice stealth blasting rotations in CM p1 basement without traiting stealth. Also trash runs in arah are fun for practicing stealth blasting. Especially if you have an elementalist that can assist by using dragons tooth at each stealth location so you can lay your black powder under it. Because stealthing is fun.

6/6/0/0/2 main build
5/6/0/3/0 if you need nearly infinite evades

Invigorating precision is OP for Arah p1 champs and killing Belka.

Thrill of the crime can help if your party Isn’t giving swiftness/fury. (I like to pop it after a stealth blasting the beginning of a long trash run by untargeted stealing)

Signet of agility is amazing

Signet of shadows is ok for trash running where one would not wish to enter any form of combat and wouldn’t need any extra dodges otherwise it’s the signet of bad (although I’ve seen some use it for the might on signet use)

Twitchh [REN]

Thief Tips

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

S/P with 5/6/0/0/3 and spam pistolwhip.

Thief Tips

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

A guildie pointed this out to me the other day. It’s long, but a good read. Cleared a lot of things up for me:

http://dulfy.net/2014/07/10/gw2-thief-pve-class-guide/

Thief Tips

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

Watch videos on how to stealth every path.
Stealth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> blind. Why? because stealth speeds up the dungeon where as blind does not.
Once you learn all the stealth parts, make sure to tell your teammates to follow you. I swear to god there are bad players out there who think they are good and can not follow the thief and as a result gets people killed or severely delay the dungeon and then they go on to blame the thief. The most common one is the way aggro works while stealthed, and this applies mainly to CM and arah p1. You want the mobs to stop before moving on or they will just continue to follow you. Most players don’t understand follow the thief concept and will just run ahead and never consider why the thief is stopping at the spot to path the mobs.
My favorite is the players who don’t consider that every thief stealths differently, and as a result runs ahead of the thief thinking they are pro and kitten and then misses the stealth and gets themselves killed or worse; survives and pulls all the mobs to the group.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

(edited by EcoRI.9273)

Thief Tips

Posted by: dboylolz.3916

dboylolz.3916

I advice you to check out these two channels:Tobi and Dom, it’s mostly thief gameplay, two of the best PvE thieves in my opinion.

Thief Tips

Posted by: RagNoRawk.3625

RagNoRawk.3625

I don’t necessarily agree that “Stealth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> blind” because they serve completely different purposes. Stealth is very useful for skipping mobs. Blinds are very useful for completely mitigating most damage for your entire party from pretty much everything except bosses and dredge. Two separate mechanics with separate functions, both extremely powerful, both hard-carry through dungeons.

I always feel the need to point out to a new thief asking for help the power of blinds specifically because a lot of people watching thief videos or speed clears don’t always see all of the mechanics going into it and one of these commonly missed is blinds. When a team does a stealth run, it’s obvious, but a new player might not realize the importance of a smokescreen or a black powder during a trash fight. Blinds might not directly speed up a dungeon run but if pressing 5 with your pistol out as you and your team burst down the mobs stops a pug from going down it saves you the time that you would have spent rezzing them. It also allows your team to dps with out stopping to dodge in most situations.

I am absolutely not downplaying the importance of learning when and how to stealth. It is a function most people will expect you to know and perform at the right time with out being told. At the same time, people expect you to drop a blind on trash because its literally the easiest thing ever and mitigates most damage even after the black powder “nerf”.

Thief Tips

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

Watch videos on how to stealth every path.
Stealth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> blind. Why? because stealth speeds up the dungeon where as blind does not.
Once you learn all the stealth parts, make sure to tell your teammates to follow you. I swear to god there are bad players out there who think they are good and can not follow the thief and as a result gets people killed or severely delay the dungeon and then they go on to blame the thief. The most common one is the way aggro works while stealthed, and this applies mainly to CM and arah p1. You want the mobs to stop before moving on or they will just continue to follow you. Most players don’t understand follow the thief concept and will just run ahead and never consider why the thief is stopping at the spot to path the mobs.
My favorite is the players who don’t consider that every thief stealths differently, and as a result runs ahead of the thief thinking they are pro and kitten and then misses the stealth and gets themselves killed or worse; survives and pulls all the mobs to the group.

Great advice all around. Many players struggle with aggro mechanics during stealth so this is very useful to know. Listen to this guy; he knows how to thief.

Thief Tips

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

I advice you to check out these two channels:Tobi and Dom, it’s mostly thief gameplay, two of the best PvE thieves in my opinion.

No doubt!

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Thief Tips

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

I don’t necessarily agree that “Stealth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> blind” because they serve completely different purposes. Stealth is very useful for skipping mobs. Blinds are very useful for completely mitigating most damage for your entire party from pretty much everything except bosses and dredge. Two separate mechanics with separate functions, both extremely powerful, both hard-carry through dungeons.

I always feel the need to point out to a new thief asking for help the power of blinds specifically because a lot of people watching thief videos or speed clears don’t always see all of the mechanics going into it and one of these commonly missed is blinds. When a team does a stealth run, it’s obvious, but a new player might not realize the importance of a smokescreen or a black powder during a trash fight. Blinds might not directly speed up a dungeon run but if pressing 5 with your pistol out as you and your team burst down the mobs stops a pug from going down it saves you the time that you would have spent rezzing them. It also allows your team to dps with out stopping to dodge in most situations.

I am absolutely not downplaying the importance of learning when and how to stealth. It is a function most people will expect you to know and perform at the right time with out being told. At the same time, people expect you to drop a blind on trash because its literally the easiest thing ever and mitigates most damage even after the black powder “nerf”.

Honestly for dungeons atm there really is no reason to blind as a thief. If you are blinding trash, chances are you could’ve skip those trash mobs using stealth or they melt in 1second that it is not even worth blinding.(Of course you can find some exceptions to this statement but its probably 90% of the time true).

FOTM blind is important.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

(edited by EcoRI.9273)